Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Default Embezzling crime questions---so scared please help

Intro- Kim from Alabama
Hi. I was recently caught embezzling money from a previous employer. The sum is around $3000.00. The detective I spoke to today only had evidence of around $1,000. He said if more came to light I could be charged again. I am being charged with 3 class c felonies forgery and theft. He is going to issue my warrants this week. If they rush and send me to court they will not have evidence of all of the money that I took. Can they take me back to court again and have me arrested again?
I am a first time offender. I got in a bad place after a huge payout and saw a quick way out. I explained to them that I want to pay all of the money back that I took I just never knew how to go about it.
The detective said it took him a while to contact me b/c he saw that I was all in all a "good person" and couldn't beleive that I would do this.
He said I would more than likely be looking at probation and restitution. Does this sound right??? What of the other checks that I took though??? I honestly don't remember how much each one was so I can't tell them but I don't want to go through all of this just to do it again.
I am very scared and I have hurt alot of people and I just want to do the most right I can in this situation and attempt to heal the wounds that I have caused.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,368 Times in 3,006 Posts

I am sorry about your situation-but want to advise you this Board can be seen and read by anyone-including law enforement--do you really want all those details out in public?

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

No,you don't want details on a public forum and you don't want to talk about stuff till you consult with a lawyer.
Police are usually not your friends and they don't decide what your consequences are either.
They just make the report and try to get as many details as they can.Details can ***** you.
Hope you don't gamble.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

stop talking to the police - your detective "friend" is already misrepresenting his power, and feeding you what you need so you'll give him everything he needs to find more crimes, more evidence. Cops are not your friends when you're facing criminal charges.

Never trust a cop who tells you what kind of sentence you're looking at - they don't know squat, and they have no power in the matter. Only attorneys can tell you what you're looking at, and only the prosecutor can enter into a plea deal.

You need to talk ONLY with an attorney - your defense attorney. If you don't have one, get one. Do it NOW. Don't talk about what you did or didn't do with anybody except your attorney. That includes not talking about what you did or didn't do here, as others have said. Don't talk with your mom about it. Don't talk with your best friend about it. Don't talk with anybody except your attorney.

Yes, I know it's scary. Cops like scared perpetrators - they come across all experty and compassionate, and you spill like a bucket of water on a kitchen floor. You need to realize they do that with everybody - serial murderers, rapists, etc. They'll minimize, make you feel better, get all compassionate and understanding. You start feeling better about the bad things you may have done, feel like you're finally talking with somebody who understands. You are WRONG. Talk only with your attorney, not the cops. If your emotions are overwhelming, talk with your attorney about getting a therapist, and talk with your therapist about anxiety and how to deal with panic attacks.

Remember, there's attorney client privilege, there's doctor patient privilege, but the cops are not on your side.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
nimuay (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

When you talk with your attorney, be extremely candid with him and make sure you inform him of all the money you stole, not just what you are being charged with. That way your attorney can make an informed restitution negotiation with the prosecutor, so that you won't be charged with any additional crimes once you accept the plea bargain.

While I agree that you should never trust the police, I do think its pretty likely you will just get probation and have to pay back restitution, if that is the extent of your alleged criminal activity and this is your first offense.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM

They are right, don't trust the investigator! I did and I got screwed. Only talk to a lawyer! They will do a Investagation and they will know the correct amount. Be careful what you admit to because you can get screwed. If its only 3000 then u need to.see if u can come up.with the money and pay it back. It will help out.