Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:57 PM

Just wanted to chime in...this felon did just vote by absentee in my state's general election less than a year out of the joint. Voted both state issues 1 & 2 DOWN. Felons DO vote.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (12-02-2017), nimuay (11-26-2017), patchouli (11-26-2017), yourself (11-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 08:36 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,500 Times in 13,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
Just wanted to chime in...this felon did just vote by absentee in my state's general election less than a year out of the joint. Voted both state issues 1 & 2 DOWN. Felons DO vote.
This felon votes as well Now if we can get other certain states to allow felons to vote we could, as a formerly disenfranchised group, could make a huge difference

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (12-01-2017), Nickel Timer (12-02-2017), nimuay (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Hereís a link to a website listing the requirements for felons and voting in each stated. For the few states that felons cannot vote, notice that most of them are red states. Last year when I was researching this topic, I learned that some republican governed states still do not want to allow felons to vote because many felons are minorities and most (not all) are not republicans. Makes sense when you look at the list. However, having lived in Iowa for 5 years of my life knowing there are essentially no minorities (1.5% of the population) it makes me sad to know they are still so backwards there. Itís ok for kids to have guns but not for people to vote? SMH!

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...ng-rights.aspx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (12-02-2017), nimuay (11-26-2017), patchouli (11-26-2017), yourself (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,796 Times in 7,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Hereís a link to a website listing the requirements for felons and voting in each stated. For the few states that felons cannot vote, notice that most of them are red states. Last year when I was researching this topic, I learned that some republican governed states still do not want to allow felons to vote because many felons are minorities and most (not all) are not republicans. Makes sense when you look at the list. However, having lived in Iowa for 5 years of my life knowing there are essentially no minorities (1.5% of the population) it makes me sad to know they are still so backwards there. Itís ok for kids to have guns but not for people to vote? SMH!

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...ng-rights.aspx
Hey! I'm from Iowa originally! Don't dis my state! (Okay, I have a sense of humor about it. See https://www.raygunsite.com/collections/state-iowa and go for the marshmallow salad t-shirt). Iowa minorities include federal judges and Academy Award winners. See Gigi Dement for the academy award winner and a pretty cool person overall. The Lakota Souix have a pretty good fight program, MMA style, around Des Moines if I remember correctly, and some good judo over in Souix City. And that's minorities in Iowa just off the top of my head and not including the Iowa State professor, George Washington Carver, who did a heck of a lot in terms of botanical inventions involving peanuts. And that was more than a century ago. Integration during the Civil arights movement was never an issue. Yes, there is a ton of racism - you got that in just about every state, and the Southern State of Missouri along with Kansas kinda were the prequel to the Civil War, but there have been a ton of minorities from Iowa who have done great things.

I will admit, in my graduating high school class of around 200 folk, only 4 were black. We did have a small group of other minorities - Native Americans, Philippinos, Hispanics, and even Vietnamese from the boat lifts of the '70's, but it was predominantly shades of pasty white (said by the woman with Norwegian lineage whose Norwegian ancestors (cough, grandmother, cough) considered her glow in the dark skin very dark).

My brother is an Iowa felon (and Wisconsin, and federal, and maybe even Colorado and Texas, but I'm not sure on those last two as he only did jail time in the former, and I think his Texas time was rolled into his federal time. The boy,s been busy). He did have his rights restored, but blew his ability to vote when he picked up another couple of felonies in Wisconsin. Oh, and he's much paler than me, but does that really make a difference in the conversation.

Here's the thing - we need to work to keep felons and their loved ones informed about voting rights. It is a highly volatile area of law. Yes, it is a discrete form of racism in terms of hitting minority communities the hardest. Yes, minorities are predominantly Democrats as a result of the Civil Rights movement of the '60's. Red States are traditionally considered law and order states, and it is hard to overcome the idea that felons should have a voice in voting when they have been disenfranchised for so long. Hell, I worked in a county where the joke was the only way the Sheriff and State's Attorney (Illinois) would be reelected was if they busted everybody who would vote against them and hung a felony around their neck. And it seemed they were working to do it that way. Interestingly, the bar of the County hated both and decided to make sure that they weren't re-elected. We put forth candidates opposed to them and did a drive to increase voter registration. Both were defeated at the primaries, much to the relief of the entire county. The SA dismissed a whole mess of cases, and actually worked for justice. Whew. The new sheriff stopped the driving while black policy. Whew.

Anyway, the point of this missive? In every state you will find backwards counties. The way to overcome them is to increase voter rights for felons and to exercise those rights. Educate the loved ones of felons doing time or people facing felonies so that they actually vote and vote to enfranchise people stuck with the felon tag.

It will work in Iowa. It will work in all those other states. We just need to stop people from being so afraid of each other. Recognize the good that all peoples do - the academy award winners, the scientists, the judges, and everybody else you see as impressive. We need to stop the fear.

we are at our best when we work together and stop trying to subjugate each other based on skin, language, religion, sexuality, gender.

Rant over.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (11-27-2017), nimuay (11-26-2017), patchouli (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:33 PM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 603 Posts

Now here's an idea for someone who likes organizing people and is good at it.

The Returned Citizen's Caucus or some more snazzy name, studying and recommending candidates for mayors and prosecutors and sheriffs. It could get people together to work for voting rights legislation too.

That was a great point btw about keeping people informed about the rights they have now. In my voter registration training I heard about a registrar who talked to someone with a record who didn't know he could vote once he was off paper. When he found out he cried.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 PM

It's really a shame that there is still the view that in some states that when someone commits a crime they lose the right to vote. I'm not sure why that goes hand in hand. You are still a citizen, you are still expected to pay taxes, and abide by the rules and laws of the country, so why shouldn't you have a say in who runs the country and sets those laws. Definitely backwards thinking.

As for Iowa, we actually lived in the Iowa City area which was considered one of the most progressive communities in the country, but I still found it severely lacking in diversity. Even more interesting is that, they required their teachers to have a course in diversity. I was a teacher and when we moved there that was a course they required I take to get my Iowa certificate because Illinois wasn't a reciprocal state. The course they taught was a joke because in no way was it at all relevant or representative for teachers or even helpful for how to teach minorities. Even funnier was that I was required to take this course to become certified in Iowa because I had just come from teaching for 3 years in the Chicago Public School system where the breakdown of my school was 1/3 white, 1/3 black and the remaining 1/3 asian, indian and hispanic. So trust me, I knew what minorities and diversity was. The State of Iowa did not!

I was not implying there was racism, nor did I really find any there, although I guess the fact that they are one of the states (and a northern state) where felons can't vote, may show otherwise. It's too bad that Vilsack didn't get rid of that when he was Governor, but unfortunately, when you have Chuck Grassley in office and can't get rid of him, you'll never be able to change things! We left Iowa in 2001, and he was there long before that and is still there!! I just did not find minorities there. When I was in college in Kansas, however, there was definitely racism. Really my first full on experience with racism and prejudice. Definitely not how I was raised so that was pretty shocking to see as an 18 year old how much intolerance there was.

Hopefully, things will change as they have in some states over the last few years and everyone will have the right to vote always.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 603 Posts

> You are still a citizen, you are still expected to pay taxes

This is a darned good angle. Insightful.

There was a large movement once with the idea "No taxation without representation".
Nickel Timer (12-02-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,796 Times in 7,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
It's really a shame that there is still the view that in some states that when someone commits a crime they lose the right to vote. I'm not sure why that goes hand in hand. You are still a citizen, you are still expected to pay taxes, and abide by the rules and laws of the country, so why shouldn't you have a say in who runs the country and sets those laws. Definitely backwards thinking.

As for Iowa, we actually lived in the Iowa City area which was considered one of the most progressive communities in the country, but I still found it severely lacking in diversity. Even more interesting is that, they required their teachers to have a course in diversity. I was a teacher and when we moved there that was a course they required I take to get my Iowa certificate because Illinois wasn't a reciprocal state. The course they taught was a joke because in no way was it at all relevant or representative for teachers or even helpful for how to teach minorities. Even funnier was that I was required to take this course to become certified in Iowa because I had just come from teaching for 3 years in the Chicago Public School system where the breakdown of my school was 1/3 white, 1/3 black and the remaining 1/3 asian, indian and hispanic. So trust me, I knew what minorities and diversity was. The State of Iowa did not!

I was not implying there was racism, nor did I really find any there, although I guess the fact that they are one of the states (and a northern state) where felons can't vote, may show otherwise. It's too bad that Vilsack didn't get rid of that when he was Governor, but unfortunately, when you have Chuck Grassley in office and can't get rid of him, you'll never be able to change things! We left Iowa in 2001, and he was there long before that and is still there!! I just did not find minorities there. When I was in college in Kansas, however, there was definitely racism. Really my first full on experience with racism and prejudice. Definitely not how I was raised so that was pretty shocking to see as an 18 year old how much intolerance there was.

Hopefully, things will change as they have in some states over the last few years and everyone will have the right to vote always.
Ah, but Iowa is gayer than every state except Massachusetts, being beat out by just a couple of months. Back when my hometown had its first Pride march, they threw eggs and rocks at marchers. It's improved a lot since then and there is even a drag review performing regularly in town.

Further, there are counties and towns where diversity is measured by non-lutherans or non-Catholics. As a child, Catholics and Protestants were frequently involved in violent clashes against each other.

I graduated from Iowa. I know Iowa. It is very white, but it's also not nearly as white as other parts of the state. Change happens in strange ways. Diversity happens in strange ways. And Iowa City, while progressive, is no where near the most racially diverse area in Iowa. Then again, it is very diverse in comparison to say Soldier, Iowa and other places still largely Norwegian.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,303 Times in 10,443 Posts

It isn't only ex cons who have attracted the attention of certain politicians. Many of the voter ID laws are specifically aimed at reducing the numbers of Hispanics and African Americans who vote. Non-existent voter fraud is their boogie man, championed by our President, and followed in lock step by some legislatures.

Only the courts stand in their way, that is until the same people are successful in packing the courts with hundreds (just in federal courts) of new true believer judges. I also wonder how many prisons will need to be built by the private prisoner companies to accommodate all of the new prisoners who are sure to be convicted by the 180 or so new federal judges. And what about the massive increase in our deficit spending, which is only mentioned when the money is spent helping citizens.

It apparently isn't a new attack by politicians. I recently read that The US Congress attempted 80 years ago to double the number of Supreme Court justices when FDR's New Deal was being helped by their rulings.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,682 Times in 10,096 Posts

Oh yeah, FDR's court-packing scheme was widely understood as a way around the Supreme Court's tossing out some of his recovery programs.

However, I wouldn't say that they've abandoned reform - they've reversed full-speed!

However, given the new 'tax' bill, some states aren't going to have enough budget to build new prisons, so it will have to be those private prison 'donors' who will be back in business bigly!
fbopnomore (12-01-2017), miamac (Today), Nickel Timer (12-02-2017), patchouli (12-02-2017)