Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,417 Posts
Default If this is your first time....(FLDOC 101)

It's very good to have you.

This is for those that have no idea what's coming next....and, maybe a refresher for those that have been in this situation but still just don't really understand. (we don't understand, either.... as logic don't live here, but we try to explain as best we can)

I remember DOC was mighty daunting when I first started, so this if for the ones that's upset, scared and overwhelmed.

Also, if you have something to share that we over looked, by all means, join right in....(if I have not sent you a Welcome PM with all the hints, tips and tricks to navigating PTO and links to DOC, please let me know)

PTO Florida Staff

Last edited by Anjewel; 04-15-2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
Batuland (07-21-2016), HisChevyBabe (07-03-2013), Julesgirl (04-14-2013), LostAsAlice (04-23-2017), Najeli (08-09-2017), ScottysGirl2023 (04-21-2014), tigergal57 (09-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Before you go

If you are "lucky" enough to have warning that you are going into custody and can prepare ahead of time...here are some things that I recommend doing/preparing before you go in:

• Prepare Power of Attorney and Medical Power of Attorney documents - These documents give a loved one left behind the legal authority to act on your behalf in legal and financial matters while you are away, and to act on your behalf under HIPPA. Take the legal/financial POA to your bank and file it with them.
  • Assemble Medical Records - If you have any sort of chronic medical condition, obtain copies of your records documenting this so you can take them with you when you go into custody. For serious or complicated medical conditions, a letter outlining your condition and treatment from your doctor will be a useful shortcut.
  • Get Married - If you have a serious committed relationship, consider getting married. "Fiances" or "Girlfriends" don't really exist as far as DOC is concerned. Being married gives you rights under DOC rules that you can't get without a marriage certificate.
  • Leave Instructions - For weeks before my husband left I followed him around with a notebook, jotting down instructions about how to do all the things that he usually did so I didn't have to think about them - the sprinkler system, how to run the home entertainment system, all of that stuff.
  • Take lots of pictures, make lots of memories - it's tempting to crawl into a hole if you know something like prison is on the horizon. Don't let it take your last days at home from you! Use that time to do special things with your loved ones and take lots of pictures of you all together so you'll have them to remember those times.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
19rhonda54 (05-25-2013), HisChevyBabe (07-03-2013), HisTinkerBelle (06-16-2016), Julesgirl (04-14-2013), LadyBlu (11-16-2014), MorganG25 (09-14-2017), netherspite (09-12-2015), Shackle Dodger (06-03-2015)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Default Once they get to a County Jail:

Once, he gets to county, you might want to call and see what all you can send and find out the phone company they use for calls.

You may be able to send stationary, you may not. Here in Polk County you can't send anything, not even pictures. You can send money but the jail will take anything they have charged to him off the top. In the last few years we've had to make an appointment to visit, you can't just show up at the jail like DOC regular visiting.

Write him/her, even if they can't write you. If they have money on their account they can buy stationary. If not, most county jails will give them two sheets of paper and two stamped envelopes a month but some don't. Again, call to find out what's what...

My county has a website and a page for inmate searches to find out if they are still there or not, click on the link above to find your county and see if they have the same.

Once he gets on the bus to transfer, you need to be aware you may not find him on the jail site or the DOC site for a couple days. DO NOT PANIC, THIS IS NORMAL.

Once you go to the FlDOC Offender Search page and find him by searching for his name, you will know several things. You will have his DC#, the facility he's at for reception and processing and all kinds of other info.

PLEASE DO NOT FLIP OUT ABOUT THE PICTURE. DOC PICS ARE WORSE THAN DMV PICS. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE DOC PROFILE PICTURE.

Also, be warned and brace yourself for the hair cut. No matter what kind of hair he had going in, there won't be very much left once they take the picture.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
19rhonda54 (05-25-2013), CLBnKBB (04-13-2015), icj357 (09-30-2013), KenDRAGON (11-09-2014), LadyBlu (11-16-2014), LostAsAlice (04-20-2017), MorganG25 (09-14-2017), Najeli (08-09-2017), sadmom77 (07-07-2015), Tomtam8910 (07-09-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Most counties have a page on their sheriff's website with basic information about jail rules for mail/phone and visitation information. Google the name of the jail and you'll likely find it.

Definitely write and send pictures if they are allowed, even if you aren't hearing from them!

Inmates at county jail may not even need money because they may not be given the chance to spend it. Unlike at the state where inmates can go to canteen almost daily and buy items on the spot, most jails require inmates to place orders for delivery in a week or so. I know St. John's Co. wouldn't even let my husband place an order because they kept saying he might not be there to get it. Since he was there almost three weeks...that got a bit old not having anything but his jail issued supplies.

Be aware of a cruel fact if you are monitoring your loved one on a jail population website to see if they've been transferred yet: they will most likely be listed as "released" when they are transferred to state custody because those databases aren't set up to list "transferred" as a status.

Anjewel isn't kidding about the picture. The haircuts and shaves are brutal and they end up basically bald and cut to death from the crappy equipment. My husband looked like a serial killer. And his expression looked like hell too. Took my best friend an hour of texting in the middle of the night to talk me down from my hysterics. As my husband told me later though...that picture is taken at the very end of their intake day - "the longest day of my life" as he put it. Bear that in mind when looking at it. They've had a REALLY bad day but it won't all be like that.

Being in jail awaiting transfer is the worst kind of limbo...you know they will be moving any day but you don't know when.

Once they move and you find them on the DOC website (which updates once per day at midnight)....

Things to do when they arrive at DOC:

• Deposit Money in their canteen account via jpay.com, Western Union or money order
  • Send Writing Supplies (10 sheets of paper, and 10 self addressed stamped envelopes in a big envelope - remember, no metal clasps allowed!) (or you can send a book of stamps and 10 blank envelopes)
  • Write to them! Send them letters, internet printouts to read, puzzle book pages to entertain themselves with, pictures....
  • Set up a phone account with Securustech.net.
  • Send your phone number documentation to classification at his camp (if needed).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
19rhonda54 (05-25-2013), Angel whispers7 (11-29-2016), CLBnKBB (04-13-2015), icj357 (09-30-2013), LadyBlu (11-16-2014), LostAsAlice (04-20-2017), MorganG25 (09-14-2017), Najeli (08-09-2017), PandasDestiny (04-28-2013), Tomtam8910 (07-09-2013)
Old 05-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Exclamation The picture!!

WOW!!! WTH?? I cannot believe the way they shaved my brother's head and mustache! It is unreal! I read your post before I saw it but NOTHING could have prepared me for that! I used to love Florida and lived in Polk County as well.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM

You are so right. Wish I had read this a few weeks ago. My fiance just got a 5 year sentence. He was sent to Orlando then Lake Butler for just a few days and is now at Columbia in Lake City. Anyone able to tell me anything about the conditions there. He really doesn't like to tell me bc he doesn't want me to worry but I honestly would rather know. I tried to stay ahead of the game as much as I could. He was transferred to prison 6/6 and we have gotten my phone approved so we can talk, he got to his permanent location and I mailed the visit application the same day any idea how long it actually takes? And how many times can I visit each month. Can I attend all visits and stay as long as allowed or is there a limit? Also the judge agreed that his probation would be served in a different county but the prison has him listed as reporting to the county of original charges is there a way I can get this fixed while he is in so it's not an issue upon release? We are not married yet but I do have full power of attorney.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM

My husband was sentenced last week and is going to NWFRC tomorrow morning. I have been reading all weekend trying to figure out what's going to happen next. So many of the posts are several years old so I don't know what's real and what's not true any more. I know he doesn't have any choice where he ends up but is allowed to list his 3 choices. He has health issues and his attorney said he could end up staying at NWFRC because they have a medical facility. Anybody have recommendations for decent (not horrible) facilities in Tallahassee surrounding area? He has approximately 25 months after gain time and credit for time served. Hoping for Wakulla or Gadsden Re-Entry. Knowing he will be out of contact for a while is scary. All of this is. I have a copy of the first page of my phone bill so he can set up phone calls. Do all of Region I facilities use Securus so if I set up an account it works wherever they send him? Any help or advice is welcome.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Hello and welcome to PTO!

All the prisons use Securus except maybe the private prisons. I'm not sure someone can come alone and let you know.

In almost 29 years, I've never come across a prison Marty liked that was a decent place to visit. Anytime there was new administration and they got easy going, someone always comes along to take advantage and mess it up. All in all, a prison is a prison is a prison.

I don't care for the Region 1 facilities because they are a long way from my house and seem to be harder on the prisoners mentally. And, that's my biggest peeve. And, that may be because Marty is physically very healthy but, this is mine for now.

Take your time and pilfer around and let us know if you have other questions you can't find the answers to, safe travels!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
LostAsAlice (04-30-2017), Najeli (08-09-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM

My boyfriend was sentenced this past Tuesday, will most likely be transported to Washington CI next week. I have been sending him 5 pictures in every letter for the last month at the jail however I have been printing them on regular printer paper instead of actual photo paper. Does anyone know if there will be a limit to this type of picture that he will be allowed to have in his possession in prison?

And thanks for the warning about the picture on the DOC site...
Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

I want to say they are allowed 50 pictures at any given time, but Marty has many more than that and my honey has 75 at last count.

He will have to dispose of them either by garbage can or sending them to someone if he's caught with too many.

And, a picture is a picture is a picture....UNLESS it's stationary (background) for a personal letter.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:57 PM

Does anyone know about how long it takes to get the phone approved? How long will he be at NFRC before being transferred? And, can I send him mail now since I know where he is?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 AM

Yes you can write, and send some blank paper attached and stamps. I never bother with envelopes the Florida humidity isn't kind to them in the mail. Fund his commissary account. I haven't been through reception in years and years so everything has changed.

You could also try to sign on to JPay and try an e-mail. I don't know if they have access to a kiosk in reception.

He will be there about a month. And he will be kept busy so don't expect to hear from him much. As much as the uncertainty is hard on you it is doubly hard on him.

I am not sure about the phone list approval. I think they may wait until he is at his permanent place for that.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mom View Post
Yes you can write, and send some blank paper attached and stamps. I never bother with envelopes the Florida humidity isn't kind to them in the mail. Fund his commissary account. I haven't been through reception in years and years so everything has changed.

You could also try to sign on to JPay and try an e-mail. I don't know if they have access to a kiosk in reception.

He will be there about a month. And he will be kept busy so don't expect to hear from him much. As much as the uncertainty is hard on you it is doubly hard on him.

I am not sure about the phone list approval. I think they may wait until he is at his permanent place for that.

I did look at our Securus account last night and it seems he tried to call me on Friday, but my phone never rang, so I am assuming the phone list hasnt been approved yet. I was able to put money on the jpay account on Wed after the system updated and he was actually in there (although, I actually have knowns when and where he was moved the whole time.) Now, to figure out how to go ahead and get his visitation list approved so that we can go see him as soon as possible.......

Oh, and thank you so much for answering me.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Sending Money

Can anyone tell me the code city for Century CI to send money through Western Union?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

No longer allowed to use WU. Itís money gram or JPay for money transfer. You donít need a code for either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
nimuay (09-18-2018)