Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Coming Home
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home Dedicated to discussions about our loved ones that are coming home soon. Discussions here should not fit any other category.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM
family -cradle to grave
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,351 Times in 704 Posts
Default How bad is Release anxiety?

How bad is anxiety before release to halfway house or final release.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,147 Times in 16,660 Posts

Like most anything else, its going to vary from inmate to inmate. I believe most all inmates have at least some level of anxiety before release and the severity usually can be correlated to how long they've been in prison. Those "what if's" start creeping in and then there's the worry that another inmate will intentionally screw up your release (yes, it happens. Don't understand the "why" of it, but it does happen )

There are some stiicky thread at the top of the Coming Home forum (this forum) that may help you understand "short-timers" and/or "the goin' home jitters."

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
donazerozero (02-16-2019), Sarianna (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,687 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Like most anything else, its going to vary from inmate to inmate. I believe most all inmates have at least some level of anxiety before release and the severity usually can be correlated to how long they've been in prison. Those "what if's" start creeping in and then there's the worry that another inmate will intentionally screw up your release (yes, it happens. Don't understand the "why" of it, but it does happen )

There are some stiicky thread at the top of the Coming Home forum (this forum) that may help you understand "short-timers" and/or "the goin' home jitters."
Yes, my son worries somebody will do something to screw it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-17-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Banned

I got quite anxious before I was released, it started about a month beforehand. The main thing that bothered me (apart from the usual practical worries) was seeing family and freinds that I had not seen whilst inside. How were they going to react to me? Were they even going to want to see me at all?

I was also aware that for the previous 2.5 years literally everything had been provided for me and I was worried about having to provide for myself.

Nothing about life on the outside can be worse than life behind bars though.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,687 Times in 646 Posts

I suspect too, that the longer they are inside the higher the anxiety. Over the past 6 years my son has commented on this - the shorter term ones don't seem to care (and those in for drugs on short terms usually haven't quit); while those who have been in for a longer time, especially over 5 years, are more worried and anxious about everything - from how their family will be, how they will deal with things, and with a high expectation that the "system" - from parole officers to traffic cops - are out to revoke them.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-24-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

I feel like I need meds bad, that's how bad!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:31 PM

My LO definitely experienced it. He even told me he didn’t think he would call that last week cus he was so anxious (of course he called every day anyways). My LO has been inside a few times so it’s not like reentry is foreign to him, and thankfully he has a good support system at home - but even so, he had the anxiety. It’s the unknown that does it. Inside they have a lot of structure, outside anything can happen and my LO doesn’t do well with “not knowing”. Just roll with it, if he’s being weird let him be weird just love him anyways and give him space when he needs it and be there when he needs it. Once he’s home ease them into it by not rushing to do everything you’ve been missing out on right away. Depending on how long they’ve been in, a lot could have changed. Best wishes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meami1 For This Useful Post:
Kimimi (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,879 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meami1 View Post
My LO definitely experienced it. He even told me he didn’t think he would call that last week cus he was so anxious (of course he called every day anyways). My LO has been inside a few times so it’s not like reentry is foreign to him, and thankfully he has a good support system at home - but even so, he had the anxiety. It’s the unknown that does it. Inside they have a lot of structure, outside anything can happen and my LO doesn’t do well with “not knowing”. Just roll with it, if he’s being weird let him be weird just love him anyways and give him space when he needs it and be there when he needs it. Once he’s home ease them into it by not rushing to do everything you’ve been missing out on right away. Depending on how long they’ve been in, a lot could have changed. Best wishes.
For those of us who've been to prison before (repeat offenders), it's a different experience to some degree in a couple areas that can be hard to see. In the back of one's mind there's this riddle or uncertainty which asks "WHAT WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME WHEN I GET OUT? IS THIS REALLY OVER AND DONE WITH OR WILL SOMETHING HAPPEN YET, AGAIN?" I've been to prison 4 times here in Texas and every time I got out, it was always with the vow and promise I'd never go back to that place.

Along with that, time itself has a way of beating you down in the mental sense that is degenerative or eroding. There's some stuff to do with patience, confidence, trust, the ability to smell the roses when that opportunity affords itself and those moments of spontaneity (love, affection, seeing the beauty in this world) that you may lose due to the negative mindset which can take hold.

You have to know what it is that you need to stay away from to do with people, places and things, but most of all you have to face the facts about issues concerning addiction, alcoholism and mental health.......THEY DON'T JUST CORRECT THEMSELVES BECAUSE YOU DID TIME IN THE BIG HOUSE, YOU TAKE ACTION ON A DAILY BASIS TO KEEP THOSE DEMONS IN CHECK. IF YOU DON'T.......THEY PROVE TO BE DARK POWERS GREATER THAN ONE SELF THAT WILL SEND YOU BACK TO PRISON OR TO THE GRAVE YARD.
408MoonGem (09-17-2019), Hurley123 (09-17-2019), Lordbew/us (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM

About two weeks before his release he didn’t write as much and stopped going to the chow hall. For the last week it was such a strange feeling for both of us it was like the plane landed and we were waiting for him to get off. It was like a feeling of being in limbo just waiting. When he got out he was sad catching up with friends and seeing how everyone had changed while he was gone and what he had missed. It also was strange when he got out because suddenly we had all the time in the world to have a conversation. Since we didn’t meet each other until he got out that caused a lot of anxiety about what if’s etc before and after he got out. He first month out was really exhausting and stressful to be honest. If you just communicate with each other it should be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
408MoonGem (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408MoonGem View Post
I feel like I need meds bad, that's how bad!
Your posts always make me laugh. I'm not making fun of you or your situation. I can almost hear a sarcastic serious tone when you write.

I'm glad you are getting closer to being with your husband.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
408MoonGem (12-03-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

My boyfriend got his release plan papers last week. His release date is in April but should get early release in February.

He is already in panic mode. He calls me every day worried about something new he thought of.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefinder View Post
Your posts always make me laugh. I'm not making fun of you or your situation. I can almost hear a sarcastic serious tone when you write.

I'm glad you are getting closer to being with your husband.
Thanks a million!!

Hey, even if you were laughing at me or just with me, it's all in good spirit :hugme
:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefinder View Post
He calls me every day worried about something new he thought of.
What an adorable issue to be in and have
Old 09-18-2019, 06:08 PM
His Girl ❤️

Mine is already experiencing the anxiety. He's got 2 years left, and when he's out, 14 years will have passed since he went in. So he's missed out on so many life changes. The technology, fashion, etc...and by the time he's released, the US will have had it's 3rd change in President (the 4th US President while he was inside). So there's definitely a lot of anxiety and it can start early knowing how much has changed.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Mine comes home on Tuesday I have severe anxiety but this isn't his first rodeo either seems to come out do good then his addiction sneaks up on him for some reason or another that is always the reason he goes back and he goes to AA and Na meetings I think he needs intensive outpatient instead of working but that's not up to me it's up to parole
Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

Was expecting hubby to parole out end of October, then the wait of Governor referred case review was excruciating!! I am still addicted to z-quill, shoooot, even more now that I'm on single digit countdown, oh my gawd... 20 years incarcerated, like whaaaaat???? He is freaking out which is freaking me out, lol.... oh my, the nerves!!