Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Default Federal halfway house???

I am SS at the end of Jan or early Feb to federal prison, have not been designated to a facility yet. I was sentenced to 12 months and a day. The marshalls told me that if I keep my head straight and do the programs I need to do, or that they suggest (not RDAP fyi) I could do less than half of that. I am curious, on a white collar crime, non violent offender, no issues, and if I don't get into any trouble, how much time am I looking at potentially in a haflway house? I have 3 kids, who will have to stay with relatives (their dad is in prison for this charge and several drug charges until spring of 2021). I will not have a home to come back to, but will be paying up a year on my car so I have a vehicle to drive when I get back to prevent issues with employment, and getting from a to b. I have heard the last 90 days of my sentence could be halfway, and even up to 6 months? I just want to provide a home for my family to get back to normal asap. been fighting this for so long, just ready to get it over with. Not sure if anyone knows, but I also have a halfway house that is roughly an hour from home, that always has female beds open due to the area. Will that help? And any suggestions on how to get to the halfway, or out quicker to get a job and provide would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2019, 06:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 23,010 Times in 13,232 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Your sentence is just long enough for you to earn 54 days off for "good time". A sentence of only one year would not have earned any.

There is not enough time for you to take RDAP, so forget about that part. The bop can send every prisoner to up to one year in a HWH. Your unit team case manager, and warden, will decide how much, if any HWH they will offer you, but it is usually 10% of your sentence. Be sure to explain to your unit team that you need to earn enough money while in the HWH to afford a home for your family.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM

I knew that RDAP would be out of the question, and I was looking at 36 months, so glad that they did the one year and a day (pretrail/probation suggestion for my sentence). I knew that home confinement was 10%, hoping that HWH was for longer. Have read that they like to do at least 90 days HWH. Just want to set us up so that we won't go back to that life, and can do things right (something I have been doing for 2 years.... but will be harder this time....)
The Following User Says Thank You to ricleigh85 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The Second Chance Act, enacted in 2007, allows the bop to send every prisoner to a half way house for up to 12 months, but doesn't require them to award even one day in "community corrections". That's why the decision will be made by your bop unit team, and your warden.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:36 PM

That makes sense. Are you aware of anything that can be done/said to help assure I get the most HWH time? Or anything NOT to say?

I am smart enough to know the common sense things not to say, lol but am worried that I will try to "help myself" and it will backfire.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Thank you for all of your help, on this post and my other.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It depends on the actual "unit team" members. The other prisoners will have a handle on which ones to avoid whenever possible. In some cases, it can definitely be smart to say little, or nothing, to the counselor, case manager, and/or unit manager. Most of them are OK, but certain ones are awful.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:07 PM

I just am worried about mentioning that I have no where to go after, because I am turning over the keys to my house prior to my SS. I do not have family I will be able to stay with or that I would even want to stay with. There is a lot of drinking, and they are very negative, while still family. They are not positive and are very harsh with how they talk to me. All very well off, and do not understand any struggles.... Obviously I want to take advantage of the most amount of hwh time to ensure I can provide, and get my own place for my family and I. To start over, and have a productive life, full of positive energy, understanding, and love.

So probably not a great idea for me to mention these things?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Your designated release location, for HWH and eventually on your end of sentence date/ start of supervised release date (1 year, one day minus 54 days good time), will be the federal judicial district where you were sentenced. That can be changed if you file a change of release location request with your bop unit team a couple of months before your HWH or release date. The more legitimate reasons for requesting the change, the better your chances for approval. If the change is to a different federal judicial district, the "receiving" US Probation office will have to approve it.

My advice is to wait until the appropriate time to discuss your eventual "home plan" with anyone. If you want to be released to a HWH in the same location as where you caught your case, you won't need to do anything. Your eventual "home plan" (where you hope to reside) will be vetted by the local US Probation Officer after a "home visit inspection". The HWH may do their own investigation before allowing you to go there on passes, or just accept the US PO's decision, but the important approval is to be allowed to live wherever it is you want to live.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 PM

I am not planning on moving until after my husband is released and we get settled more financially.... so roughly a year after release. I just dont have anywhere to go, period, that is stable, and a good place for my kids and I. I feel like the more research I do, the more questions I seem to have lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ricleigh85 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-26-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleigh85 View Post
I am SS at the end of Jan or early Feb to federal prison, have not been designated to a facility yet. I was sentenced to 12 months and a day. The marshalls told me that if I keep my head straight and do the programs I need to do, or that they suggest (not RDAP fyi) I could do less than half of that. I am curious, on a white collar crime, non violent offender, no issues, and if I don't get into any trouble, how much time am I looking at potentially in a haflway house? I have 3 kids, who will have to stay with relatives (their dad is in prison for this charge and several drug charges until spring of 2021). I will not have a home to come back to, but will be paying up a year on my car so I have a vehicle to drive when I get back to prevent issues with employment, and getting from a to b. I have heard the last 90 days of my sentence could be halfway, and even up to 6 months? I just want to provide a home for my family to get back to normal asap. been fighting this for so long, just ready to get it over with. Not sure if anyone knows, but I also have a halfway house that is roughly an hour from home, that always has female beds open due to the area. Will that help? And any suggestions on how to get to the halfway, or out quicker to get a job and provide would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Well on 12 mos you will serve 9 mos. Then halfway house for a couple weeks but only if you have a home to go to . Must have a land line and dont worry you will get a job or they could violate you. Dont bitch about 9 mos inside you will annoy those doing 15 to 20 yrs.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:43 AM

I am not one to complain about anything, I cannot blame anyone but myself, and the USDA was pushing for 36 months. Complaining about 12 would be asinine. I do not have a home to come home to, that was my question. I am giving up my home because I will not have enough money, nor trust to leave my house in anyone elses hands for that length of time that I am incarcerated..... My employer said I can gladly come back to them, if they have an opening. But needless to say, I will still not have anywhere to go. Why I was hoping for a few months halfway house to prepare and get a residence.

Thanks for the response.