Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Illinois

Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 AM

Default What is a "partial lockdown"

What is partial lockdown?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2016, 07:44 PM

Thanked 1,172 Times in 531 Posts

Usually means only one house is locked down. That is what is going on at Menard currently. Call the prison to find out what house is locked down.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 AM

Oh really. I don't know what house he's in but it must be his. He hasn't called in 10 days. Also, I receive snail mail from him today dated the 22nd. He said there was a fight in commissary that day, and they were on level 4 lockdown. I'm brand new at all of this, and am struggling with all of the unknown. I guess I'll just learn as go, and to continue to be patient. Thanks for filling me in.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 AM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,248 Posts

As of Wednesday when I went to visit, they were still only allowing 1 hour visits for all cell houses. That may have changed since then.

Level 4 means there's some movement again. Workers are able to get out and work, those in classes are able to go, the guys can get out and shower. Still no yard, though. Also, the phones will be able to be passed around the cell houses again.

You need to find out what cell house he's in. And if he's in the uppers or lowers. My fiance was in the South Uppers. That way, when there is a lockdown, you can call before visiting (Press 0 and ask for the gatehouse), and specifically ask if his cell house is receiving visits. Because depending on whose in the gatehouse at the time you call, they aren't going to say which cell house is on lockdown and which one isn't. But it's always best to call before visiting if you're coming from a long distance.

I'm a regular visitor at Menard and have been for 7 years now. I'm going to visit today. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Partial lockdown & the unknown:(

Thank you both Trauma4us & Miss A for responding to my post. Learning & beginning to understand a little bit about how all of this works helps me some. Miss A, how do I find out what house he's in? He's never told me. We began as pen-pals through writeaprisoner.com 6 months ago. Through our letters & phone calls we've unexpectedly have grown to have feelings for each other. We've planned our "blind date" (our 1st visit) for 1/8/17. I'm 5 1/2 hours from him, and don't have reliable enough transportation to get there. I was able to finally find a transportation service that'll take me, but she only goes to menard once a month so I'm so worried about not having our blind date on the 8th. He's been there for 14 years, has received 1 letter from his family in 13 years, and his last visit was 5 years ago which was just with a friend of a fellow inmate. So I really want to be there for him on the 8th. Like I said previously I haven't received a call in 11days now & I have been emailing him daily in hopes that he's at least receiving my emails but I'm thinking he's not. Any & all info you can send in my direction I would be incredibly grateful for. Happy new year to you both & god bless!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Default Which House

You can call the prison (some CO are super nice and will share, and some are reserved.) Or just ask him ask your LO.

Mine is in North House lower. No calls, no emails, one letter in 3 weeks.
What I typically do to let my loved one know I am still here during a lockdown, I send him $5 or even $1. The prison has to give a receipt to them right away and that way my guy of 18 years knows I am thinking of him.

Usually most of the issues come from West House.

Just enjoy the journey you are on and I am so excited for you and your new friend. Just to not feel forgotton will boost him and you a hundred folds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjohns67 View Post
Thank you both Trauma4us & Miss A for responding to my post. Learning & beginning to understand a little bit about how all of this works helps me some. Miss A, how do I find out what house he's in? He's never told me. We began as pen-pals through writeaprisoner.com 6 months ago. Through our letters & phone calls we've unexpectedly have grown to have feelings for each other. We've planned our "blind date" (our 1st visit) for 1/8/17. I'm 5 1/2 hours from him, and don't have reliable enough transportation to get there. I was able to finally find a transportation service that'll take me, but she only goes to menard once a month so I'm so worried about not having our blind date on the 8th. He's been there for 14 years, has received 1 letter from his family in 13 years, and his last visit was 5 years ago which was just with a friend of a fellow inmate. So I really want to be there for him on the 8th. Like I said previously I haven't received a call in 11days now & I have been emailing him daily in hopes that he's at least receiving my emails but I'm thinking he's not. Any & all info you can send in my direction I would be incredibly grateful for. Happy new year to you both & god bless!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Have a good and safe drive!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Partial lockdown thanks

Again thank you all for your knowledge and positive support. I feel that I'm in a unique situation and others will not understand like others who are having the same experience as I am. So your responses are very much appreciated. Mis A, I will definitely follow your advice and try to call up there and I'll send him some money right this second! Thank you again with much gratitude!!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

You need to ask him which cell house he's in. And they're still only allowing 1 hour visits. And with the lockdown calls are few and far between. But even without a lockdown calls are still few and far between. Sadly, that is the norm at Menard. I would suggest not sending money unless you feel it put upon your heart to do so and that doing so doesn't interfere with your priorities like bills, etc. I met my fiance while already incarcerated and I don't send him money very often. This life can get very expensive. And it gets real old doing it for years on end. So just keep that in mind.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:28 PM

Default What company do yo use to only send $1 or so at a time?

Mine have a minimum payment of $25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflwrs View Post
You can call the prison (some CO are super nice and will share, and some are reserved.) Or just ask him ask your LO.

Mine is in North House lower. No calls, no emails, one letter in 3 weeks.
What I typically do to let my loved one know I am still here during a lockdown, I send him $5 or even $1. The prison has to give a receipt to them right away and that way my guy of 18 years knows I am thinking of him.

Usually most of the issues come from West House.

Just enjoy the journey you are on and I am so excited for you and your new friend. Just to not feel forgotton will boost him and you a hundred folds.
The Following User Says Thank You to 87jonesby For This Useful Post:
amjohns67 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:14 AM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87jonesby View Post
The companies here in IL we're able to use to send money to inmates gives us the option to send as little as $1. There's still a fee involved to send. However, if we're to add money to the phone, then there is a minimum payment of $25.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 AM

Default money to Illinois DOC

We have two online services. GTL and Jpay.

If the lockdowns are long, no phone calls, no emails, no letters.
I will send $1-5 to say "Love you, still here." there is a $3.95 fee.

My guy and I have arranged if I send $ then we will take it out of the phone $.

I totally agrees with Miss A, you have to have the right relationship and understanding. I have been with my guy for 18 years, no need to establish. But if you with someone new, I would boundaries, the same as in the free world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87jonesby View Post
Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 AM

hate the minimum, especially with the silent pause interruptions from Securus. Do you experience it?
Good visit yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_A View Post
The companies here in IL we're able to use to send money to inmates gives us the option to send as little as $1. There's still a fee involved to send. However, if we're to add money to the phone, then there is a minimum payment of $25.