Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Default YOI cells

Can anyone give me some info on what cells are like in prison? Specifically at Young Offender Institutions but can also be for adults prisons (preferably male)

1) What's in the cell? (is the toilet in here? can you put posters up?)

2) How big is it?

3) Is it usually shared? If so, are there bunks or singles?

4) Are there windows in cells? If so, can you see outside??

5) How are you woken up every morning? (guard? alarm?)

6) How are the cells locked? Is there a central locking system or do guards come round and unlock each cell individually?

7) How do you know the date? Are there calendars?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but would really appreciate answers if anyone has them!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

I haven't been to a YOI but I went to an adult male prison before but they're pretty much they same I think. The main variation is in the age of the prison. I was in an old Victorian one so It wasn't really as clean and spacious as newer prisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoppy View Post
1) What's in the cell? (is the toilet in here? can you put posters up?)

The toilet is often in the cell especially in older prisons but newer ones often have the toilet in a separate small room. You can put posters up and often they have a notice board in each cell that people stick things on with jam or toothpaste. They usually have a small chipboard table, a wooden and metal chair and a cupboard too along with a TV somewhere.

2) How big is it?

Depends on the age of the prisons, Generally the older the smaller. Mine was about 7 foot wide by 3 or 4 paces long.

3) Is it usually shared? If so, are there bunks or singles?

Depends on the prison again and how crowded they are I think. In my prison almost all cells were shared in which case a bunk bed would be in the cell but even if it's single it still had a bunk bed.

4) Are there windows in cells? If so, can you see outside??

I believe all cells need access to fresh air and daylight. You can see outside but it depends on what's behind and around the window to what you can see. Sometimes you can see right over the wall and into the streets and other times you can see just a bush in your way.

5) How are you woken up every morning? (guard? alarm?)

Guards wake you up.

6) How are the cells locked? Is there a central locking system or do guards come round and unlock each cell individually?

Guards also lock the doors but often, depending on the type of lock prisoners can also lock the door themselves by slamming the door. Often the preferred method was to let the prisoners lock themselves in to save guards locking them in individually. Most of the time it saved a lot of time but sometimes you accidentally lock yourself in or forget to lock yourself in during a lockdown and wonder why all the guards have gone and the wing is empty.

7) How do you know the date? Are there calendars?
They don't really provide you with clocks or calenders but the date is easy enough to find from newspapers and by asking a guard.

Last edited by nines; 02-09-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
I haven't been to a YOI but I went to an adult male prison before but they're pretty much they same I think. The main variation is in the age of the prison. I was in an old Victorian one so It wasn't really as clean and spacious as newer prisons.
Thanks so much! Insanely useful
Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
weary
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,020 Posts

This is HMYOI Cashington. Probably a reasonable representation of a modern cell. If you search young offenders institute you'll find a selection of places to look at - go to images for some photos. Toilets will be in the cells - makes night time and lockdowns a lot easier to manage.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
wifey

My son was in yoi he had a shower in his cell playstation tv radio dvd player was out of his cell all day doing different programs food was good too
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonno1 View Post
My son was in yoi he had a shower in his cell playstation tv radio dvd player was out of his cell all day doing different programs food was good too
doesn't sound too bad! What sort of programs could he do? And what was the food like? Do they cater for religious / veggie? Is there lots of choice?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoppy View Post
doesn't sound too bad! What sort of programs could he do? And what was the food like? Do they cater for religious / veggie? Is there lots of choice?
From where I was they did cater for vegetarians and people of different religions.