Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,213 Times in 2,287 Posts
Exclamation Largest Prison Strike in US History to Begin on September 9th

I wasn't aware of this until yesterday. I'm curious if the men and women incarcerated in SC will be participating in this.

Largest Prison Strike in US History to Begin on September 9th

"What organizers are saying will be the grandest act of civil disobedience of prison inmates in US history will involve work shortages and hunger strikes by prisoners all across the country.

‘A Call to Action Against Slavery’ is the name being used by the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee for an upcoming nationwide protest against the forced labor being used by for-profit prisons. Prison laborers in at least twenty states will band together in protest against these immoral and unethical practices by refusing to work and through other acts of peaceful civil disobedience available to them, like hunger strikes."

http://www.copblock.org/165249/large...in-us-history/
Bbk2 (09-05-2016), marie8899 (09-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM

A story on alleged punitive action against a strike organizer in an Ohio prison.

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-pro...ting-terrorism
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-08-2016), patchouli (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,754 Times in 11,561 Posts

At least one prison system is calling it terrorism. Not even close to the truth, but definitely business as usual for prison administrators. They can't do anything to folks on the outside, but they have unlimited ways to bully prisoners.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,135 Times in 7,430 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/bo...sing.html?_r=0

A new book, the definitive book on the Attica prison riot was just published like a week or two ago.

For those of you who don't know, the preamble to the Attica "manifesto" (for lack of a better term) starts, "WE are MEN! We are not beast and do not intend to be beaten or driven as such." 1971. We really haven't come very far, have we?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-08-2016), Critter07 (09-12-2016), marie8899 (09-09-2016), Ncepeda27 (09-14-2016), patchouli (09-07-2016), sass4221 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,022 Times in 14,737 Posts

There were atrocities at Attica, and cover-ups....it was brutal. And that's just by the law enforcement. I sincerely hope that no one is hurt or killed on the 9th, on either side.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-08-2016), sidewalker (09-09-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
attorney

Sorry, guess my point is that many of the reasons the Attica riots erupted in the first place, many of the demands made by the rioters, are the same as we're seeing today with this peaceful protest.

Terrorism? I don't think so. It's a strike. Sure, the unions that prisoners sought in the '70's didn't materialize, nor did the substantive wage, nor did the lack of overcrowding. Programs have been cut, and it's just deplorable how prisoners have to live in many cases, and the violence is still very problematic.

This said, I do hope these peaceful protests are allowed to proceed peacefully, bring attention to the plight of inmates, and actually help out.

Instead... terrorism. Are you kidding me? This isn't the first work stoppage that prisoners have executed as a protest and they're calling it terrorism?

SMH.

But, if anybody wants to read about the Attica uprising, the new book seems to be pretty good so far. I'm not hugely into it atm, just started, but I'm really enjoying it, if that's the right word, so far. Readable. Lots of pages. Promises to be very interesting.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-08-2016), chosenmemories (09-15-2016), fbopnomore (09-08-2016), Lordbew/us (09-09-2016), marie8899 (09-09-2016), patchouli (09-07-2016), sidewalker (09-09-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Sorry, guess my point is that many of the reasons the Attica riots erupted in the first place, many of the demands made by the rioters, are the same as we're seeing today with this peaceful protest.
Oh, I agree! What I meant was that I hope what happened in the aftermath at Attica (*shudder*) doesn't happen again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-08-2016), marie8899 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:15 PM

Thanked 10,917 Times in 5,922 Posts

So let's see...strike on a Friday, which is the same day many entities deliberately choose to dump bad news precisely because it is basically a dead day for media. THEN they screw themselves out of visitation since the unit will go into lockdown mode. Oh, and then the disciplinary sanctions that follow...

Yeah, they planned oh so well...
Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Carolina traveler

What if the protest is silent? Meaning the men and women chose not to report to their programs/work/classes, go on hunger strikes, etc. They chose not to be violent and ride out the protest until their demands are made.

Here in SC they're on lockdown because of a shortage of COs. This has been going on for almost a year but they're just putting it in the press. I'm not sure if anything is organized at the 23 institutions here but I would be supportive of peaceful protest.

I will be following online and social media (where I found out about it initially) to see what the outcomes are.
patchouli (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:25 PM

Thanked 10,917 Times in 5,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
What if the protest is silent? Meaning the men and women chose not to report to their programs/work/classes, go on hunger strikes, etc. They chose not to be violent and ride out the protest until their demands are made.

Here in SC they're on lockdown because of a shortage of COs. This has been going on for almost a year but they're just putting it in the press. I'm not sure if anything is organized at the 23 institutions here but I would be supportive of peaceful protest.

I will be following online and social media (where I found out about it initially) to see what the outcomes are.
If they don't go to work, they will be disciplined. If they refuse to go to programs, that will be recorded as a refusal in records available to parole entities. In both instances, kiss any shot at a release in the foreseeable future away...

A protest need not be violent in order to cause problems for the inmate going forward...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
If they don't go to work, they will be disciplined. If they refuse to go to programs, that will be recorded as a refusal in records available to parole entities. In both instances, kiss any shot at a release in the foreseeable future away...

A protest need not be violent in order to cause problems for the inmate going forward...

But that's part of the problem. Many of them don't have a future to be released to with the lack of anything viable for them in these prison systems. That's why they're willing to lose to win.
marie8899 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:47 PM
attorney

Work stoppages have a long history in prison systems. They rarely work, used to be considered riots, now may be considered terrorism (though I think that's stretching it). The thing of it is that they have to be willing to stop long enough to make a serious enough dent into prison industries to actually get leverage. Even then, the habit of administrators is to treat organizers of work stoppages very harshly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-09-2016), fbopnomore (09-09-2016), patchouli (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Carolina traveler

Default  Across 24 states, inmates are sick of poisoned water, solitary confinemen

"This September 9, we may witness the largest prison strike in US history. Potentially thousands of inmates across both state and federal prisons in as many as 24 states plan to engage in a coordinated strike and protest in an attempt to bring attention to the daily injustice of their lives. The strikers are calling for an end to “slave-like” working conditions, illegal reprisals, and inhumane living conditions."

https://www.thenation.com/article/th...in-us-history/
patchouli (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Is there a list anywhere of what states are participating? I've tried to google it and I can't seem to find it if there is one.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM

I don't think it's publicly known yet, although definitely Alabama and Florida, probably Texas and California where there's a recent history of strike organizing, there has been some organizing in Ohio and Virginia, and I've heard through the grapevine in Washington state. But I suspect information may start to come out through family/friends on the outside, and we may see postings about lockdowns on the state boards.

Some other places to look:

Mask Magazine is posting updates here --
http://www.maskmagazine.com/the-pris...risoner-strike

Follow the Twitter hashtags #prisonstrike and #prisonerstrike

Facebook pages:
9/9 strike event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/5855...tive_tab=posts
Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, which is posting updates: https://www.facebook.com/incarceratedworkers/

Here is a list of local events related to the strikes, it may give a sense of where there's activity inside prisons:
https://itsgoingdown.org/spreading-s...september-9th/

Last edited by CousinFlora; 09-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Added IWOC FB page in addition to FB event
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-10-2016), dwhank (09-11-2016), fbopnomore (09-09-2016), maur27 (09-09-2016), patchouli (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Also the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, which is supporting union and strike organizing, is sending out some email alerts. You can sign up for the alert at their web site:
https://iwoc.noblogs.org/contact/

I'm sure folks are concerned about loved ones inside, whether participating in action or just in a facility where something is happening. One of the IWOC updates said that the National Lawyer’s Guild has offered to provide limited legal assistance to prisoners affected by strike-related abuse or retaliation.

"The National Lawyers Guild has offered to file an individual “notice of claim” on behalf of each prisoner against abusive and retaliatory prisons and guards. Filing a notice of claim tells the prison that a suit could be filed and puts them on notice that abuse has happened. It is not the actual suit, but it gives violated prisoners time to find local lawyers."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-10-2016), dwhank (09-11-2016), maur27 (09-09-2016), patchouli (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Account Closed

are there any News? or lists which state and prison are involved?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerohio View Post
are there any News? or lists which state and prison are involved?
Not really any lists I don't think. See my posts above for places that are posting updates, but it may take a while to see how broadly this is happening, and where.

The Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee is asking for volunteers to call prisons and determine which ones are on lockdown, to narrow down where things may be happening (since mail/phones/email may be cut off).
The Following User Says Thank You to CousinFlora For This Useful Post:
sunflowerohio (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Account Closed

Ohio Lucasville is currently not (yet) on lockdown, i just called.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM

RIOT yesterday in Florida:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...100640942.html
Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Well I went to visit my man today and the prison workers were all working- I don't really understand the reason for the strike.. How are the work conditions inhumane? The guys I see at my mans prison really don't look like they are working too hard to me and they have smiles on so they don't seem to mind. My bf tried to get s job a few months ago but he didn't do he doesn't even have to work. He worked in the gym his last bid and it wasn't even really work. We talked on the phone the whole time. When he was in reception he was Porter and it was the same thing. We got extra phone time- not really hard work at all. I know they don't get paid well but it is prison..
Old 09-09-2016, 04:33 PM
wandering into the sunset

There are prisons in which the prison workers are treated very badly. In federal prisons, many prisoners work for UNICOR (prison industries). There are prisons in which the inmates' job is to smash old computers (computer recycling). It is dangerous work and there is risk of exposure to hazardous chemicals. There is no such thing as OSHA for prison inmates. The working conditions are, as I said, hazardous, and prisoners are not protected.
People are pushed into working for UNICOR if they have large fines or restitution to pay because they get paid more than the usual prison worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
Well I went to visit my man today and the prison workers were all working- I don't really understand the reason for the strike.. How are the work conditions inhumane? The guys I see at my mans prison really don't look like they are working too hard to me and they have smiles on so they don't seem to mind. My bf tried to get s job a few months ago but he didn't do he doesn't even have to work. He worked in the gym his last bid and it wasn't even really work. We talked on the phone the whole time. When he was in reception he was Porter and it was the same thing. We got extra phone time- not really hard work at all. I know they don't get paid well but it is prison..
marie8899 (09-09-2016), sidewalker (09-11-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,555 Times in 6,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
You're talking about jobs within a state run facility and I agree. Mine also enjoys having a job (he's been on yard crew, hazmat, porter) and the money is secondary to the activity and social aspect. The article highlights that they're protesting private prisons that utilize inmate labor for outside industries (think production line work for shoes, clothing, ect). Or, positions that cut costs drastically for private prisons with punitive measures for inmates who do not participate. It equates the lack of choice, work conditions and low wages with slavery.

Last edited by miamac; 09-09-2016 at 04:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
wandering into the sunset

In federal prison, circulating a petition is considered as being at the same level as starting a riot. In fact, petitioning is considered to be rioting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post

Terrorism? I don't think so. It's a strike. Sure, the unions that prisoners sought in the '70's didn't materialize, nor did the substantive wage, nor did the lack of overcrowding. Programs have been cut, and it's just deplorable how prisoners have to live in many cases, and the violence is still very problematic.

This said, I do hope these peaceful protests are allowed to proceed peacefully, bring attention to the plight of inmates, and actually help out.

Instead... terrorism. Are you kidding me? This isn't the first work stoppage that prisoners have executed as a protest and they're calling it terrorism?

SMH.

But, if anybody wants to read about the Attica uprising, the new book seems to be pretty good so far. I'm not hugely into it atm, just started, but I'm really enjoying it, if that's the right word, so far. Readable. Lots of pages. Promises to be very interesting.
fbopnomore (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:38 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Many State prisons, not just private prisons, use inmate labor for profit while the inmate barely makes change.

Prison Industries is a booming business.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-10-2016), marie8899 (09-09-2016), miamac (09-09-2016), Sarianna (09-17-2016), TLC2 (09-14-2016)