Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanked 2,412 Times in 844 Posts

Hey I totally understand!
My son was caught up in a bad decision to go along with some friends to commit armed robbery. Yes, I am outraged that he would even consider such an act, he had no reason to participate other than peer pressure and low self esteem.
It was one stupid costly decision.
He drove and there were three others that came along. Only one of the guys committed the acts. I just thank GOD every day that no one was killed.
These young men had no intention of killing anyone but when you go along with a crime you sign up for all the consequences. Little did my son know what he was signing up for.
This is a son who had NEVER ever been in trouble at home or with the law. We are still dumbfounded and will never quite understand how he allowed himself to get in this situation.
He submitted to accepting a mandatory 12 year sentence. It is truly heatbreaking. In my heart I believe the DA and Judge knew dang well this was a kid that got caught up in making a terrible decision. But that did not stop the DA from slamming the book at him. It was yes the LAWS on the books coupled with a ton of politics.
Seeing how the system works is truly an eye opener.
What makes me so dang mad is that my son can not even earn good time and there are plenty of other inmates that actually did more hanus crimes that have been sentenced far less time and can earn good time.
I totally agree that my son should have been given time but not 12 years to the door. This in my eyes is criminal and a misuse of POWER.
Well, I think we can both agree that the government is screwed up to the core!!!

I don't even want to think about what it is going to be like when my son gets out of prison. Society is very unforgiving.
Then you have these a-holes that get out of prison that end up reoffending and commit terrible acts of violence. I get so mad at seeing the news reports and hearing how outraged the public gets. I'm outraged along with them, but not all inmates are going to reoffend.
I would say most given the chance to re-enter society...ie get a decent job, live their life, would not reoffend.

Last edited by Lordbew/us; 03-04-2011 at 07:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbew/us View Post
Hey I totally understand!
My son was caught up in a bad decision to go along with some friends to commit armed robbery. Yes, I am outraged that he would even consider such an act, he had no reason to participate other than peer pressure and low self esteem.
It was one stupid costly decision.
He drove and there were three others that came along. Only one of the guys committed the acts. I just thank GOD every day that no one was killed.
These young men had no intention of killing anyone but when you go along with a crime you sign up for all the consequences. Little did my son know what he was signing up for.
This is a son who had NEVER ever been in trouble at home or with the law. We are still dumbfounded and will never quite understand how he allowed himself to get in this situation.
He submitted to accepting a mandatory 12 year sentence. It is truly heatbreaking. In my heart I believe the DA and Judge knew dang well this was a kid that got caught up in making a terrible decision. But that did not stop the DA from slamming the book at him. It was yes the LAWS on the books coupled with a ton of politics.
Seeing how the system works is truly an eye opener.
What makes me so dang mad is that my son can not even earn good time and there are plenty of other inmates that actually did more hanus crimes that have been sentenced far less time and can earn good time.
I totally agree that my son should have been given time but not 12 years to the door. This in my eyes is criminal and a misuse of POWER.
Well, I think we can both agree that the government is screwed up to the core!!!

I don't even want to think about what it is going to be like when my son gets out of prison. Society is very unforgiving.
Then you have these a-holes that get out of prison that end up reoffending and commit terrible acts of violence. I get so mad at seeing the news reports and hearing how outraged the public gets. I'm outraged along with them, but not all inmates are going to reoffend.
I would say most given the chance to re-enter society...ie get a decent job, live their life, would not reoffend.
Wow...that is so sad! I'm so sorry to hear what your family has had to go through. I totally understand stupid mistakes made while you're young, and the fact that he has to pay with 12 years of his life is very, very sad.

I think the reoffense rate is so high because there isn't really a whole lot of help for people when they get out of prison. I know here in FL my husband will have to report to the Sheriff's office in our county within 48 hours of his release. He will have to give them a DNA sample, fingerprints, palm prints, and it will also go on his driver's license that he is a convicted felon.

Mind you he stole from himself. He owned his own title company, and he started using a line of credit (solely in his name) to pay company bills. He was too lazy to get up from his desk and get another employee's signature on the checks so he just signed their names. Happens all the time in the title business. Well he got prosecuted for forged securities in Federal Court. Had he just called an initiated a wire from the line of credit to his operating account he wouldn't be sitting in jail right now.

Because of the mandatory min. he has to do 18-21 months. I also think the judge wouldn't do a downward departure because everyone is so anti-business right now that if they'd let him off with anything less people would just think..."ooh there goes another business owner getting away with screwing people over" but he wasn't screwing anyone. It was his own money!

It's completely ruined our lives. We fled back to FL because everyone in town black-balled us in OH. Not that it was a bad trade-off, I like FL much better, but financially we've been ruined. Now I'm at home and unable to work because I just had major spinal surgery, and my only source of income (my husband) is sitting behind bars. Thank god for my family because without them I don't know what our daughter and I would do.

What I've learned is that the criminal justice system and the prison system don't "correct" people, they destroy people. I don't have any idea how my husband will be able to find a job when he gets out.

The major insult to us was that the "crime" happened back in 06' and they didn't even indict him until late 2010, he'd already started a new job that he was doing really well at, we'd already started to rebuild our lives here, and then it all collapsed in a matter of minutes. It wasn't like he came down here, and started some crazy ponzi scheme or anything. So he definitely wasn't trying to re-offend, and he wasn't dangerous.

The prosecutor at his sentencing hearing was such an ass. He went on and on about how he was calculated in what he did, and how he would most likely do it again. And that people were out of work because of his actions...the title company was failing, he didn't want to have to lay anyone off so he started using a line of credit to run the business. I don't think that's cold and calculating! So you're right it's all about politics.

I think it's horrible that they won't give your son any good time credit. They have programs for every drug dealer to get out early; why not a young kid that made a mistake. You know my husband's atty had told him defending him would have been a lot easier if he had a drug/alcohol problem, come to find out you get a year off your sentence if you're an addict. Had we known that I would have been force feeding him Jack Daniel's

Good luck to you...and I wish your family the best. How much longer does your son have to go?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarwife View Post
Thanks...like I said in a previous post I am so tired of people making this political. If some of them would actually open their eyes and their minds and see what's going on in this country maybe they wouldn't automatically assume that all conservatives/republicans were old, stuffy, rich people that were out to "get them".

And a lot of what change.org and other liberal organizations are pushing for is to reduce the mandatory minimums on drug related offenses so it wouldn't really even help everyone. Not that what they're doing is a bad thing, but why not try to reduce the mandatory minimums for everyone?

A lot of judges really don't want to send people to prison, but unfortunately on the federal level they are forced to because of the sentencing guidelines. If my husband's judge had been able to do a downward departure of 1 point he would have only done probation and maybe 6 months on an ankle monitor, of course he has to pay restitution as well...which he had a great job on the outside and could've began paying restitution immediately but because of sentencing guidelines he has to serve 18 months, and now he's not going to have that great job to go back to, and how in the heck do they expect us to then pay restitution when he's now a convicted felon, and is going to have a heck of a time finding a job that even pays enough for survival let alone restitution.

Sorry, I'm ranting!!! But thank you for being somebody that does see the forest for the trees! We are all here for a reason, and instead of having political debates we should be focusing on how to help our loved ones that are stuck in the system.
Unfortunately this is a political issue but not in the sense of repulican V. Democratic. It is a political issue because it is the people in office who will determine which programs should or should not get funds whether in the State of Federal budgets. It doesn't matter what each of us is, as a whole, we can write our Congress People and attend hearings and voice our opinions and concerns. If many people stand in support of this legislation the chances of it getting through would be better. My concern is if this does go through are funds also going to be earmarked to help them as they leave the prisons to get situated with jobs, etc. Without this added assistance it would mean that many would be set up to fail and be returned to the system. Unfortunately many in prisons do not have family/friends to help them when released. Money is a big part of our Politics and any way you look at it that is the determining factor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinymom For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (03-05-2011), pipeliner (03-09-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymom View Post
Unfortunately this is a political issue but not in the sense of repulican V. Democratic. It is a political issue because it is the people in office who will determine which programs should or should not get funds whether in the State of Federal budgets. It doesn't matter what each of us is, as a whole, we can write our Congress People and attend hearings and voice our opinions and concerns. If many people stand in support of this legislation the chances of it getting through would be better. My concern is if this does go through are funds also going to be earmarked to help them as they leave the prisons to get situated with jobs, etc. Without this added assistance it would mean that many would be set up to fail and be returned to the system. Unfortunately many in prisons do not have family/friends to help them when released. Money is a big part of our Politics and any way you look at it that is the determining factor.
I understand what you are saying...I just don't think the Republican party is the party of NO. I actually think we will have more luck getting the 112th Congress to pass something geared towards early release because they are trying to reduce federal spending and the deficit. Now is the time to strike because they are looking at every possible avenue to save money.

I don't think inmates would be lucky enough to get any sort of money upon release. I understand that they need it, and that it would help fend off reoffending, but anybody would be hard pressed to get either party to pass something like that. It's a bad situation all the way around because where does a convicted criminal get a job, house, or credit for anything? So even if a criminal wants to stay on the straight and narrow it's almost impossible for them in some cases...especially if they don't have family and friends there to help them when they get out.

The other big problem is that the prison system is big business for the goverment. The basically have legal slave labor at their disposal. And the government is able to sell the products that inmates are making.

Also remember that a lot of prisons have gone down to bare bones as far as the resources and supplies they give to the inmates. Gone are the days of "club fed". There are hardly any educational programs anymore, and it takes 5-7 days just to see a prison doctor if you need one.

You are right; it is a political issue in a lot of ways, but we need our leaders to unite from both sides of the party lines and work together to pass anything that would bring our loved ones home sooner. I think a lot of the problem is also that prosecutors and judges try to make names for themselves by throwing the book at people, and in some cases the judges hands are tied because of mandatory sentences. There are a lot of things in the current system that need to be fixed.

Have a great weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitecollarwife For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-05-2011), Lordbew/us (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 PM

We can only hope that our leaders will come together and finally do something about a system that seems to want to keep people locked up in conditions that are awful. I didn't really know much about all this until I came in touch with this forum. In fact, as I stated in another thread I thought my son was blowing up things he was telling me about. I've since learned what he said exists all over the USA prison systems. I also believe people outside the system don't want to believe the system is so badly run. We've been told prisoners get what they need under our laws and many do not want to face the fact that this is not true. We've been led to believe punishment will stop them from repeating and many of us know this isn't so. We've been told they get the programs they need to start a new life when they get out and we know that isn't happening because there is not enough funds to provide them. We can help our inmates by providing our Congressman with the true facts. We can provide the public with the facts and I am sure there are many who would want to see a more positive outcome by changing the system. I'd like to see this go through and will do what I can in support of this. I watched my son go into prison in pretty good physical shape with his COPD under control. I watched him come out 4 years later overweight and having extreme difficulties breathing for lack of proper care for his condition. After getting hurt at the prison when he fell and injured his leg, and because he didn't get proper care for it, his leg was all messed up and still continues to bother him. His oprthopedic doctor told him if he had received the proper care and therapy his leg would not be like it is today. These things shouldn't be happening but from the many posts I've read they do. Things need to be changed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinymom For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-06-2011), Lordbew/us (03-05-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We can only hope that our leaders will come together and finally do something about a system that seems to want to keep people locked up in conditions that are awful. I didn't really know much about all this until I came in touch with this forum. In fact, as I stated in another thread I thought my son was blowing up things he was telling me about. I've since learned what he said exists all over the USA prison systems. I also believe people outside the system don't want to believe the system is so badly run. We've been told prisoners get what they need under our laws and many do not want to face the fact that this is not true. We've been led to believe punishment will stop them from repeating and many of us know this isn't so. We've been told they get the programs they need to start a new life when they get out and we know that isn't happening because there is not enough funds to provide them. We can help our inmates by providing our Congressman with the true facts. We can provide the public with the facts and I am sure there are many who would want to see a more positive outcome by changing the system. I'd like to see this go through and will do what I can in support of this. I watched my son go into prison in pretty good physical shape with his COPD under control. I watched him come out 4 years later overweight and having extreme difficulties breathing for lack of proper care for his condition. After getting hurt at the prison when he fell and injured his leg, and because he didn't get proper care for it, his leg was all messed up and still continues to bother him. His oprthopedic doctor told him if he had received the proper care and therapy his leg would not be like it is today. These things shouldn't be happening but from the many posts I've read they do. Things need to be changed.

I think the problem may be with the public as well. They don't think about, nor sometimes care about prisoners. Most think they "belong" there. I know that I was guilty of not really caring until I was faced with my husband going to prison.

I also know that he's been sick for over a week with glands swollen almost to the size of golf balls and he can't see a doctor for a week. So I know what you're talking about with your son. I'm sorry that he had the problems he had while he was in there. I'm glad to hear that he is out and home though, and he's lucky to have you there to support him.

Here in FL, Governor Scott is looking at reducing sentences to save money for the state's budget. I think now is a great time to start talking to our government both on the state and federal level because of how much money the government spends on inmates and the justice system.

Most people do not know the facts about what we spend yearly to house each inmate, they also don't know how much waste there is in the system, and the don't know what inmates go through while inside, and then after they're released. Sometimes I wonder if prison is the easy part, and when they get out is when the real problems begin for them.

You said your son gained weight while away...darn it, I was hoping my husband would drop a few pounds while locked up
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM

I would like the laws changed - no discrimination!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarwife View Post
I think the problem may be with the public as well. They don't think about, nor sometimes care about prisoners. Most think they "belong" there. I know that I was guilty of not really caring until I was faced with my husband going to prison.

I also know that he's been sick for over a week with glands swollen almost to the size of golf balls and he can't see a doctor for a week. So I know what you're talking about with your son. I'm sorry that he had the problems he had while he was in there. I'm glad to hear that he is out and home though, and he's lucky to have you there to support him.

Here in FL, Governor Scott is looking at reducing sentences to save money for the state's budget. I think now is a great time to start talking to our government both on the state and federal level because of how much money the government spends on inmates and the justice system.

Most people do not know the facts about what we spend yearly to house each inmate, they also don't know how much waste there is in the system, and the don't know what inmates go through while inside, and then after they're released. Sometimes I wonder if prison is the easy part, and when they get out is when the real problems begin for them.

You said your son gained weight while away...darn it, I was hoping my husband would drop a few pounds while locked up
Thank you for letting me know that I was not the only one ignorant of what actually went on behind these walls and as you said not caring. I hope your husband gets to see the doctor soon and gets proper treatment.

Last edited by tinymom; 03-06-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM

I was wondering if any one knew if they are really gonna release prisoners early this go round. Do we Vote on this and when do we Vote?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that I was not the only one ignorant of what actually went on behind these walls and as you said not caring. I hope your husband gets to see the doctor soon and gets proper treatment.
Today my husband emailed me and said he's been trying to call me all day, but the voice recognition system they use when dialing doesn't recognize his voice because his throat is so swollen he can barely speak.

I'm going to visit him tomorrow (that's where we are lucky is that he's only an hour away from our house so the BOP was nice to us in that sense). I want to check on him because I'm so worried.

I was just at my grandparent's house, my grandfather was a Captian at Riker's Island and he said prisons/jails are bad, and people like us on the outside wouldn't even believe what half the inmates go through on a daily basis. And a year ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Now I want to do everything in my power to try and change it.

Not even thinking about my husband, but when I look at the other inmates there when I go to visit they all just look so hollow...I don't know if that's the right word, but they just look so sad. Even when they have visitors their eyes are just empty. It's kind of depressing to see.

I'm not saying every guy behind bars deserves to be out, there are some truly bad people in prison, but then there are people that are only there because of wacky laws that should've been changed 100 years ago, or because of mandatory mins the judges have to impose.

I also think that our government should look into alternative sentencing. Like for 1st time offenders that are there for drugs...maybe send them to rehab instead, and then if they don't learn from there send them to jail for a little while. I also think 1st time non-violent offenders should be given house arrest. Then they pay for the ankle monitor, so the tax payer isn't footing the bill.

But no, you weren't the only ignorant one out there. A lot of us were. Did you really ever think in a million years your son would end up in prison? I never thought my husband would. If you had told me that 5 years ago when we got married I would have laughed and called you crazy...not my husband!

We need the lobbyists in DC to fight for our cause if anything is going to get done. But where to begin is the question.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whitecollarwife For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (03-07-2011), tinymom (03-07-2011), UsPlus7 (03-08-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely4Smash View Post
I was wondering if any one knew if they are really gonna release prisoners early this go round. Do we Vote on this and when do we Vote?
No this isn't something we would vote on. It has to be brought before the 112th Congress and then they would make the decision. What we can do is fax, email, and constantly call our representatives and tell them to get behind the bill.

Right now Obama's budget hasn't even been approved, and we are also looking at a government shutdown as of Friday if they don't come to some sort of agreement on the yearly budget for the government.

Even if it was approved, and then they began working with the BOP and state prison systems it would take time because they'd have to go through each individual inmates file to find out when their projected release date was and if they even qualify to gain any good time.

It's a long road ahead, but I would suggest constantly contacting your representatives both on the state and federal level.
The Following User Says Thank You to whitecollarwife For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (03-07-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Account Closed

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreedom2010 View Post
Hard on the president????

Did you see today's article about Harry Reid and Pres Obama saying that there might be the chance that Social Security checks will be put on hold b/c of this budget problem

"Harry Reid and President Obama say a government shutdown would impact Social Security benefits. Experts disagree."

What happens to Social Security if the government shuts down?
"People don't get their Social Security checks." That was President Obama at a press conference last week.

This is our president we the people elected into office b/c we thought he would change our economy, etc blah blah blah - typical politics - the problem is nobody in Congress cares about the "elderly" or the "imprisoned" or "the poor" or for that fact "the lower income families" - this whole budget crisis is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

The good news, if you can call it that, is that Congress has come down to the wire many times before and has usually managed to pass a funding bill.
But with Congress in recess this week, lawmakers will have only four working days to pass a spending bill before the current temporary measure expires.

And on top of it all they are on recess this week! As the American Citizens sit on pins and needles wondering and hoping this doesn't happen - this is so sad
Hey how are you? Now I dont agree with you talking down on the President yes he said there would be a change but you have to understand that he is trying clean up what Bush destroyed and plus it does not happen over night
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
DaddysInnocent

Has there been any update on this? When will there be an update on whether or not they will be cutting the prison time for people on good behavior... My dad was sentenced to 150 months at the end of Feb... and I am really hoping for this, although from this forum, it doesnt look to possible because everyone says the government has mentioned it too many times.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

By some estimates, 60% of prison inmates are non-violent drug offenders. How many others are non-violent offenders of other varieties I do not know. But it is obvious that far more than $41 million could be saved by state and Federal governments if these people were released from prison and placed in community-based programs.

Let's be fair here: do check forgers, car thieves, and tax evaders belong in the same place as kidnappers, rapists, and murderers? What about the people who were caught with a small amount of some "illicit substance" in their pockets and were given longer sentences than some of the violence offenders? Surely even some form of intensive supervision parole/probation (perhaps including community service) would be far cheaper than keeping any of these people in cells.

Those that do not behave themselves can be returned to prison and serve out the remainder of their sentences. Those that do just might repay their "debt to society" in far more meaniningful ways than cooling their heels in an expensive prison.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
Ells4Kev (04-04-2011), Fallen_Angel915 (04-12-2011), Lordbew/us (04-03-2011), tinymom (03-09-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM

What, for all our faith and hope, has the Obama brand given us? His administration has spent, lent or guaranteed $12.8 trillion in taxpayer dollars to Wall Street and insolvent banks in a doomed effort to reinflate the bubble economy, a tactic that at best forestalls catastrophe and will leave us broke in a time of profound crisis. Brand Obama has allocated nearly $1 trillion in defense-related spending and the continuation of our doomed imperial projects in Iraq, where military planners now estimate that 70,000 troops will remain for the next 15 to 20 years. Brand Obama has expanded the war in Afghanistan, including the use of drones sent on cross-border bombing runs into Pakistan that have doubled the number of civilians killed over the past three months. Brand Obama has refused to ease restrictions so workers can organize and will not consider single-payer, not-for-profit health care for all Americans. And Brand Obama will not prosecute the Bush administration for war crimes, including the use of torture, and has refused to dismantle Bush's secrecy laws or restore habeas corpus.

This was taken from http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/05/04
--Read more to see it in context. Obama has made the situation worse.
Buying Brand Obama by Chris Hedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuch27 View Post
Hey how are you? Now I dont agree with you talking down on the President yes he said there would be a change but you have to understand that he is trying clean up what Bush destroyed and plus it does not happen over night
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 AM
gj07

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith74mom View Post
What, for all our faith and hope, has the Obama brand given us? His administration has spent, lent or guaranteed $12.8 trillion in taxpayer dollars to Wall Street and insolvent banks in a doomed effort to reinflate the bubble economy, a tactic that at best forestalls catastrophe and will leave us broke in a time of profound crisis. Brand Obama has allocated nearly $1 trillion in defense-related spending and the continuation of our doomed imperial projects in Iraq, where military planners now estimate that 70,000 troops will remain for the next 15 to 20 years. Brand Obama has expanded the war in Afghanistan, including the use of drones sent on cross-border bombing runs into Pakistan that have doubled the number of civilians killed over the past three months. Brand Obama has refused to ease restrictions so workers can organize and will not consider single-payer, not-for-profit health care for all Americans. And Brand Obama will not prosecute the Bush administration for war crimes, including the use of torture, and has refused to dismantle Bush's secrecy laws or restore habeas corpus.

This was taken from http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/05/04
--Read more to see it in context. Obama has made the situation worse.
Buying Brand Obama by Chris Hedges

I think we need to get off of what Bush has done and what Obama has done. Part of us are on one side on this and the rest of us are on the other. We cannot accomplish anything if we are going to be throwing mud back and forth.

Let's get the politics out of this, and start working on improving the situation. This is no place to be discussing politics. There are plenty of sites on the internet if we want to be involved in that. Let's make this completely about trying to improve the prison situation.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
friendofPooh (04-07-2011), Lordbew/us (03-09-2011), Mrs.B_3608 (03-10-2011), pipeliner (03-09-2011), robsgirl2011 (03-22-2011), UsPlus7 (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanked 2,412 Times in 844 Posts

gj07 AND AMEN TO THAT!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (03-09-2011), robsgirl2011 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Now, let's just see how the party of no will vote for this and allow it to remain in the proposed budget. Hopefully it will go through as part of the budget but I'm realistic. The GOP would rather give tax cuts to the rich before doing anything that would assist the not-so-rich.
And, here in FL, we have a govenor who refuse $2.4 bil for high speed rail, because the teabaggers said no. They are NOT likely to do anything that the Federal people suggest---even if cash is involved to help this state. Of course, if all saved money were to go directly to the rich, Gov. Scott just might consider it worthwhile!
The Following User Says Thank You to jutemoran2 For This Useful Post:
tinymom (04-03-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 AM

I was responding to a post and did not throw mud at anyone. I agree that we should be trying to improve the system but I also think a reply is justified when people put misinformation in their posts.

I found a great site for a petition. Tell Republicans to examine ways to reduce the prison population - take a look and sign up. If we are all interested in improving the life of our loved ones we need to do everything we can!

http://criminaljustice.change.org/actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj07 View Post
I think we need to get off of what Bush has done and what Obama has done. Part of us are on one side on this and the rest of us are on the other. We cannot accomplish anything if we are going to be throwing mud back and forth.

Let's get the politics out of this, and start working on improving the situation. This is no place to be discussing politics. There are plenty of sites on the internet if we want to be involved in that. Let's make this completely about trying to improve the prison situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keith74mom For This Useful Post:
Fallen_Angel915 (04-12-2011), gj07 (04-07-2011), Lordbew/us (04-03-2011), nevaeh2morrow (04-06-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 AM

Teabaggers is a derogatory term. Maybe the govenor does not want to take the money becasue of over run budgets( Big Dig in MA) Which will put the state into more debt- nothing is free! Just a thought !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutemoran2 View Post
And, here in FL, we have a govenor who refuse $2.4 bil for high speed rail, because the teabaggers said no. They are NOT likely to do anything that the Federal people suggest---even if cash is involved to help this state. Of course, if all saved money were to go directly to the rich, Gov. Scott just might consider it worthwhile!
The Following User Says Thank You to keith74mom For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (04-03-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM

There's a rumor saying that they will be releasing 5,000 inmates, and people that are in for parole violation will be getting 6 weeks off their sentence... anyone hear this?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Smile My Thoughts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwtCaliGal View Post
Obama Budget Plan Could Save $41 Million By Freeing Well-Behaved Inmates

Budget problems are forcing states and the federal government to rethink their approach to prisons, says NPR. Adam Gelb of the Pew Center on the States told a U.S. House appropriations panel last week that, "It costs 23 times as much to have somebody behind the walls as it does in the community, and I think that disparity is what's becoming compelling."
"The economic situation that we're in is certainly nothing to celebrate," says the Justice Department's James Burch. "But at the same time, it has served as an effective catalyst to get people to look at the facts and look at the data and to be more reasonable about the decisions that we're making." Those decisions are reflected in President Obama's proposed fiscal 2012 budget, which includes a plan to save $41 million by releasing well-behaved inmates. Experts say the key is to evaluate each prisoner and the risk he poses to the community, just like an insurance company would before writing a policy to cover someone's house or car.
I think they should be evalutated specifically to their physical and mental approach and fully talked too check out their response with questions concerning their approach they would take to the world when they got out and such!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Someone posted this link in another forum which I occasionally visit here on prisontalk. I thought others might be interested with the news about state budgets. The letters are already written to send to your state reps and newspapers- you can revise as needed. I have posted this on the Texas forum but we need all states to participate . This is the time to be heard!

http://www.prisonfellowship.org/get-...e-incarcerated
Thank you for the link! My letters are going out in the mail this morning before I go to work! I really appreciate it!

Take care!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robsgirl2011 For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-22-2011), Lordbew/us (04-03-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I was responding to a post and did not throw mud at anyone. I agree that we should be trying to improve the system but I also think a reply is justified when people put misinformation in their posts.

I found a great site for a petition. Tell Republicans to examine ways to reduce the prison population - take a look and sign up. If we are all interested in improving the life of our loved ones we need to do everything we can!

http://criminaljustice.change.org/actions
Signed this too! Thank you for these! You are awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to robsgirl2011 For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreedom2010 View Post
This will never happen b/c the Federal Government will not allow it - heck we are under the budget resolution right now with the potential of the Government shutting down next Friday and over 500,000 people without jobs b/c they can't compromise on the budget!

My BF is a government contractor and is waiting on pins and needles for the outcome of this....

The one thing that was certain in the article is the fact that the FEDERAL PRISONS will run with full man power - meaning they won't be affected by this probable budget suspension...

This whole thing is ridiculous - we went through this in 1995/1996 when Bill Clinton was in office they shut the government down for 20 days and everything went into chaos...

Every year I was in prison the same topic came up - the "what if's" - about releasing "good time offenders" - and as usual it never happened. Unfortunately our society sees the prisons as "punishment" for our crimes and if you really think about it - if some offenders were allowed out early to start paying back on their restitutions, fines, court costs, etc it would be way better off than having them sit there day in and day out...

Prison doesn't reform the individual - the individual reforms themselves....that is if they want to change

Now i understand what ur saying when u say ever year we go thru this...the "what ifs"...... but in my opinion when bill clinton was in office he did nothing fir this country he was and always will be a whole lot of nothing...... Now in the little bit of time that obama has been in office alot has changed and i believe he will do better for this country..... and if letting "do good inmates" go free earlier than planned then i say let him do so....I am not only saying this because my fiance will be one of them but because i want u to think not only of yourself but the mothers out there missing their children....the parents that only have a little time to live and its not enough time to wait for their children....what about the children whos parents are in prison? dont they deserve to see their parents outside of those walls rather than behind? there are some good people in there that made honest mistake and some like my fiance who didnt do anything but is too good to rat some one else out..... i believe that everyone deserves a second chance and ever one should stay open minded about this whole situation because not everyone is a bad person some of them are even too good of a person to let someone else take a blame for something they cant handle.......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tgirl115 For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (03-22-2011), robsgirl2011 (03-22-2011), rscald (03-23-2011)