Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

yep, they are going to cut programs in indiana. my husband told me that in the facility he is at they are doing away with some that offer additional time cuts. they just want to keep them longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2008 View Post
All of that sounds good, but all of that costs money and money is excatly what they don't have right now. Before they will talk about releasing people early, they will cut out the rehabilitation programs and such in an effort to save money. maybe even cut back to 2 meals per day, start charging for visitation, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,163 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocojolie View Post
well that sucks! i was hoping he would give in and release some early. i still think it might happen -

I hope your right...I never knew how many taxpayer dollars are wasted in the prison system until my boyfriend got into trouble. First-time, non-violent offender with a CLEAN record and got 30 months in federal prison.

We taxpayers are being raped by the same system that is supposed to be protecting us...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM

I'm in Virginia, my son was sentenced to 31 years for $400.00in credit card fraud and entering a unsecured chicken house and taking a genarator that the court itself valued at $10.00, He owed child support, but had been to court while in the county jail and was never out to make any attemps to pay. Living in a rural area with pretty much no public transportation, and a suspended drivers licence because of oweing support and court fines. It's a circle that hard to get out of. No violent crimes, no weapons, and a court appointed attorney that encouraged him to plead quilty because his high guidelines were 2 years and 11 months and he had already served 11 months in county. But the judge has the power to ingore the guidelines used by the Va sentencing commission to guide the sentence to give a fair sentence to all who commit a crime. At a low of 23,000.00 a year, that 138,000 dollars for a non- violent offender. He had been accepted into a rehab program, but the judge refused to let him go. The drug companies are working on a cocaine vacine that is a once a month injection for 3 months and a once a year booster, that will create antibodies that will absorb the cocaine which will prevent the high. That would be a lot cheaper than the addicts that are in prison and may help some of them to become productive citizens. Without some type of help, a lot of these inmates are treated like mental health was once treated with laboties.

Last edited by nithtmare; 01-14-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 850 Posts

31 years?!?!?! For that nonsense?!?!?!

I knew Virginia was bad and you have done nothing to dispell that rumour.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM

I don't think I put in there that he only has to spend 8. Still excessive to me. I've never been able to see pictures of the unsecured chicken house. I don't think they took any. I've been through his court file, but they told him he couldn't appeal because he plead quilty at the advice of his c/a attorney.

Last edited by nithtmare; 01-14-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myluv$ View Post
hi.. im new to prison talk and its so nice to see that theres people just like me waiting for their loved ones to step from those aweful gates..to reply to this i would gladly pay 100 month just to have my fiance back in my arms instead of 6 1/2 years from now...well hope all is as well as can be for everyone

i agree a 100% with you. I would pay a 100 even more just have my fiance home with me instead of waiting 7 yrs and hoping to have him home in 4 yrs with early release.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Entitled

I'm curious...why do some people act as if the system is so unfair? If you do not commit a crime you will not be imprisoned...simple...so the old adage stands true..."if you do the crime, you do the time."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMyBaby For This Useful Post:
ashley711 (02-15-2009), nelson's wife (01-15-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 AM

Sheesh!! 8 on a 31 is less than 30 percent. That's probably WHY the sentence was that long.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 AM
If its real 4ever will B
Donation Award 

Default States Look to Prisons for Ways to Save Money, Including Letting Some Inmates Go

Wow this is great news! They're trying to give my bf 4 years just for a probation violation and the violation wasn't anything that was violent to himself or anyone else if you knew the story I'm sure you'd agree but this post isn't about that. So anyhow that's what the whole messed up system gets for not doing there jobs right and sending just anyone to prison just so they can get paid. I hope my bf can get a break and get sent home early I'm praying and I wish all of you good luck as well. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Donation Award 

Wouldn't it be a great idea if they did a tv reality show on the life of somebody leaving the prison system and what they were expected to keep up and how it affected them and their loved ones.

Better yet, follow somebody, or a few within the razor's edge on a day to day basis to get an inside view of what supposedly prison is like.......or what their day to day itinerary's are.

I saw a show once on women who had children and could take care of them for a while within the prison system and then when they were out on parole, their experiences.....how some struggled, and how some even came back because they couldn't deal with the expectations of them.

Now this would make an excellent reality show.
The Following User Says Thank You to pmitch10 For This Useful Post:
JORGESBABYGiRL (01-22-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMyBaby View Post
I'm curious...why do some people act as if the system is so unfair? If you do not commit a crime you will not be imprisoned...simple...so the old adage stands true..."if you do the crime, you do the time."
That is true, but not the entire story.

1) Are ALL crimes deserving of sending one to prison? If not, where does one draw the line?

2) What about inequities in sentencing, inadequate representation and a system that routinely discriminates against certain classes?

3) Even for persons justly and unquestionably guilty and convicted, what constitutes cruel and unusual punishment? What should be allowed in prison and what should not?

4) How does a person put their life and the lives of their loved ones back together following a period of time incarcerated?

These are all complex issues that are addressed in great detail on PTO. Sure, there are some whiners, but the majority of members are very honest and level-headed in dealing with an issue that a large segment of society would rather ignore..... at least until it rises up and slaps THEM directly in the face, as well.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark2008 For This Useful Post:
goopkat (02-17-2009), Impatient1 (01-17-2009), kima (01-24-2009), mary77 (02-13-2009), MsMyBaby (01-15-2009), rHeartz (01-17-2009), solo08 (01-17-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch10 View Post
Wouldn't it be a great idea if they did a tv reality show on the life of somebody leaving the prison system and what they were expected to keep up and how it affected them and their loved ones.

Better yet, follow somebody, or a few within the razor's edge on a day to day basis to get an inside view of what supposedly prison is like.......or what their day to day itinerary's are.

I saw a show once on women who had children and could take care of them for a while within the prison system and then when they were out on parole, their experiences.....how some struggled, and how some even came back because they couldn't deal with the expectations of them.

Now this would make an excellent reality show.
Damn, you're brillant.

In a time when networks are turning to reality shows in an effort to cut production costs, this would be a sell if done right. Pay a few ex-cons a couple of thousand bucks to be shadowed for a few months and you could produce some serious human interest stuff: Job searches, parole issues, housing searches, relationship crises, etc. A lot more interesting than "Momma's Boys", "The Biggest Losers" and "Homeland Security".

You should seriously contact some TV production people about this idea.

The only downside would be getting past the perception that "they're all losers anyway, so they deserve whatever they get".
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAngel2 View Post
I just heard on the radio this morning Governor Mitch Daniels talking about the financial crisis Indiana is in (and we're actually doing well compared to all other states) and he said the last thing he wants to do is release convicts early in order to help the crisis. He said it is not the answer to Indiana's financial woes.

Just thought I'd put my Hoosier 2 cents in.
Oh? I heard Indiana was bankrupt.

Alright, PTO friends and family, let's all Indiana to the official list of "Get tough on crime, non-compassionate, rednecking states that are eternally unworthy of my presence". Ain't moving there. Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by Mark2008; 01-15-2009 at 05:53 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

Alright, PTO friends and family, let's all Indiana to the official list of "Get tough on crime, non-compassionate, rednecking states that are eternally unworthy of my presence". Ain't moving there. Thanks for the warning.
Ok Mark - though I don't consider myself a redneck - I suppose there are some folks of the redneck orientation living in Indiana.

Don't deprive ALL of us in the great Hoosier State of your presence!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Donation Award 

Ya but Mark.....this could also be seen in the light of prison reformation. How better to get an inside view than through the inmates eyes and to see the pros and cons of the systems that are already in place and how they can be improved or done away with for methods of reformation and/or saving money, improving family relations, safety issues of society, and what not.

I may take you up on that idea.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Entitled

I agree with you also Mark...but still the fact remains...those issues would not have to be dealt with if the person had not commited a crime to begin with...
My BF got 70 months for his crime, yet a man who had many more counts of the same crime got the same sentence also....my man is black and he swears that is why they received equal sentencing...but again, if he hadn't done anything illegal, he wouldn't have anything to complain about...

Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,177 Times in 2,324 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/10/states-budget-crises-prom_n_156890.html?page=2

Just a lil more info on the early release propositions...

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canthelpbutwait For This Useful Post:
ahannah1561 (01-20-2009), cocojolie (01-16-2009), HisAngel2 (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthelpbutwait View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/10/states-budget-crises-prom_n_156890.html?page=2

Just a lil more info on the early release propositions...

Maybe other states will join the bandwagon...sure wish federal would make some considerations.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,177 Times in 2,324 Posts

i know right- I have friends in the feds-it would be nice if they had some changes made to their system as well

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Indiana is hurting for money...not too mention the mounting unemployment debt in the state....they took out a federal loan over $330 million in November to keep its unemployment fund.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocojolie View Post
Indiana is hurting for money...not too mention the mounting unemployment debt in the state....they took out a federal loan over $330 million in November to keep its unemployment fund.
Well, if we're that bad off, then I hate to see what other states' financials look like. I guess Gov. Daniels needs a reality check where the IN prison system is concerned. Too many folks locked up for too many stupid reasons and wasting too many of my tax dollars.

canthelpbutwait had a great post with an article from the Huffington Post and there are several states considering early release of inmates. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM

yep, my man mitch needs to take a closer look at the INDOC...you are so right HisAngel...too many locked up for stupid crimes...not only in Indiana but everywhere. it's a shame. as tax payers we just need to stand up and fight more. i am all for a "sit in" at the capital to get our point across.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Great story...really brings things to light! We need early releases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthelpbutwait View Post

just a lil more info on the early release propositions...

The Following User Says Thank You to cocojolie For This Useful Post:
canthelpbutwait (01-17-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 PM

Yes, that is what I heard, thatthey were having trouble paying unemployment comp.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,230 Times in 836 Posts

Definitely something we ALL need to keep our eyes on and our hearts out of!! It could get ugly and if it truly does come down to some kind of bidding war over who has the most money, then we could all be in BIG trouble! I for one would love to see my husband home earlier than expected, but at what price? Would I rather give the $100 to the state of Georgia, or the local grocery store to feed my children? Really, that's a no-brainer, but if we don't watch it, those are gonna be the options one day soon!

And I know each one of us would love to see our loved ones home sooner than later, but think about the guys that really do need to be incarcerated.... We need to petition for EFFECTIVE solutions, not just for whatever solution would get (insert name) home sooner!!!!

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
kima (01-24-2009), Maya2007 (01-20-2009)