Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch10 View Post
God is an example of forgiveness for He sent His son Jesus Christ to forgive each and every one of us for ALL of our sins......if we but humbly ask for forgiveness through His Son Jesus, who knew no sin to die for OUR sins.

So yes, we have to forgive others if they are truly repentent. As God did for us we must do for others.
Don't do your religious preaching here. This is not a religious forum. A book is not evidence of anything. ANYONE or any group people can write a book. There are plenty of religious books in other religions too. None of these books even remotely constitute proof.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles_20 View Post
I kind of feel sorry for this boy in a way only because his whole life is gone now because of choices he made or was forced to make by someone else. He has a lot of time to think about what he did and not it is catching up to him and he regrets it deeply. For him to call a national news station to get a hold of one of the families and broke down to the daughter of one of the victims that should remorse in my eyes. I am not saying what he did was right but in some way I feel sorry for him. And I as well feel deeply for the families of these victims.
Yeah, it is very sad. I saw a bio on this and Malvo was rejected by his mom at young age and that's what started this downward spiral. Even later in his mom rejected him AGAIN.

As someone else said, the WORST thing is being so young and you never ever really got to start your life. Some people may actually prefer a death sentence than 60 or 70 years in 23 hour lockdown. As someone else said never being able to be with a woman again must be pure torture.

If he was just a few years younger he may have been charged as a juvenile but for 10 murders he would probably have to have been only 13 years old since they could have charged him as an adult even at 14.

His sentence is LWOP, right? I just don't see him getting out for 10 murders. There would be a public outcry if he was. Maybe only when he's 60 or 70 but only a very small chance and he would probably need a governor's pardon.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM
MrsT
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,763 Times in 868 Posts

Forgiveness is a personal issue. Just because the Bible, or any religious commandment, says it must take place doesn't mean with a flick of a switch that it can be done. The process of forgiving can be painful and long before the words "I forgive you" can be said with truth.

Forgiveness IS important for the victims' sakes. As a victim (not related to this crime) myself I DID forgive after years of anger, hate. It took years of resolving certain issues and painful self revelations. After reaching that point and being able to truly forgive, I'm now free.

Now, do I give a damn about the perpetrator...am I going to invite him to come live with me... uh.....NO. Are you crazy?!!!

I hardly think of him at all. That is my relief.

All I'm sayin' is that forgiveness is a personal path; I can't help but cringe when I hear it used in a blanket statement such as "society should forgive..." Forgiveness is not a group emotion. Whenever there's a group, there's those that say they agree on a majority-rule when secretly they don't.

Now there can be different laws passed to create a desired pattern of behavior... I'm all for that. I hate the stigma that makes it hard for newly released felons to find employment. Or the social stigma surrounding those who have loved ones in prison.

I'll stop. I'm starting to ramble.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,146 Times in 714 Posts

i definitely say forgiveness is possible. not everyone forgives at the same rate but hanging onto the hurt does nothing but burn a hole in the heart.

i would never tell someone WHEN to forgive--i know that it has taken me YEARS to forgive some people for hurting me, but when i did finally forgive, i was much better off because of it.

so i hope that he is truly remoreseful, and if he is, then he has as much a right to be forgiven as anyone else.

it takes a big person to admit they were wrong, and an even bigger person to forgive.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Forgiveness is a personal decision--it is a matter of what lies in one's own heart and spirit, not whether someone else resides in prison.

In a sense, the choice lies in whether you wish to serve this man's sentence with him or not. You have the right to do as you may wish. Let your conscience be your guide and remember that that conscience is the only thing you will answer to. You need not answer to the authorities or to the man in prison. The man in prison must do that, and in this case....he is doing that.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

I think living the rest of your days in a prison with no chance of freedom again. Is worst than DP. At least with the DP you have a scheduled date.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
tropicalnla

In this particular case I feel bad for the young man because he lost his child hood and the one person we all count on to love and nurture us in life was not there "his mother" I believe he is remorseful because at the age he was we all as human beings are still growing into the person we aspire to be. However growing up in a society and neighborhood myself where 98 percent of the childrens fathers weren't there and half of the mothers were on drugs or chasing a man "you don't just decide to pick up a gun even if influenced and start shooting at innocent people who didn't even know their lives would end that day nor did they know it would be so tragic." My heart goes out to the victims families because their lives are forever changed and they no longer have that loved one to go visit not even in prison. That's not to say he shouldn't be forgiven because in time I would hope that the families will be able to be at peace of why this tragedy happened even if it was senseless.. I will be honest I lost a loved one to gang violence even though the guy/guys have not been caught for a long time I wished them a slow horrible gruesome death in front of their loved ones children included(as my family had to witness) I've only recently not forgiven whomever it was that took my brother I'm just not as angry and its been 9 years.....This is not to say that murders should not be let out of prison or get the death penalty for their crimes. I guess each case is different and a jury of his or her peers should judge him or her.. I in no way think that his sentence should change because he can not take back the hurt and actions that he and he alone caused...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo4U View Post
I think living the rest of your days in a prison with no chance of freedom again. Is worst than DP. At least with the DP you have a scheduled date.
Yeah, that would be living hell. Not being able to see your family, walk in the park, go for a drive, eat out, sleep in full bed, smell the fresh air, fly on a plane, go to a movie, use a computer, use a music player, and MOST of all be with a woman.

Being deprived of females is enough to drive anyone crazy especially when you know you'll never hold or touch one again.

Does anyone know what his day to day life is like? Is he on 23 hour lockdown for LIFE??? You'd think that would be cruel and unusual punishment, you know?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

i believe totally in forgiveness but i also believe in people paying the consequences of their choices in life. young or not he still knew right from wrong. a part of me also feels very sad for him as i believe he was strongly manipulated by his older partner, however i do believe he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison as others lost their lives because of his actions.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanked 1,249 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDSWIFE78 View Post
If God Can Forgive Us Of Our Sins Then We Can Forgive Him For His Sins He Is A Young Boy He Deserves A Chance He Prob Had A Bad Child Hood And He Had All This Anger In Him For Him To Do Somthing Like This But I Would Forgive Him
He did have a bad childhood. His mother basically sold him to the very man that ruined his life. I clearly understand he mad a bad CHOICE and he now has to pay for it, but though I had to send my car to the gas station to be filled by my father (from DC originally), I still feel bad for him. He was a child, led down the wrong path by a malicious adult. Basically used. Now his life is ruined.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeswannabhiswyf For This Useful Post:
BrinaM (09-27-2008), OneOfMany (09-28-2008)
Old 09-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanked 1,249 Times in 630 Posts

[quote=marcsbeth;3966473] young or not he still knew right from wrong.

I hear this a lot. This statement works by convenience. If it were a child having sex with someone older than 18, conveniently this child didn't know any better and is not of age to consent.

Not making any excuses for the young man. Just pointing out a statement I have trouble dealing with. Lawmakers need to make up their minds at which age a child is considered old enough to make their own decisions and be held responsible for them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeswannabhiswyf For This Useful Post:
BrinaM (09-27-2008), cornered (09-27-2008), OneOfMany (09-28-2008), TyronesWife (09-18-2008)
Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Account Closed

One of the things I found surprising in Prison was the number of men there who believed they belonged there. They knew they had do things wrong and were paying the price. What was sad was the amount that failed to realise that it was their loved ones that really were suffering. They even are planning their next trip back to prison. It is like prison is just a way of life to them. The DC snipers at least had the good sense not to have family on the outside who cares.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly Rhino View Post
One of the things I found surprising in Prison was the number of men there who believed they belonged there. They knew they had do things wrong and were paying the price. What was sad was the amount that failed to realise that it was their loved ones that really were suffering. They even are planning their next trip back to prison. It is like prison is just a way of life to them. The DC snipers at least had the good sense not to have family on the outside who cares.
Are you talking about a prison in Missouri? Which prison are you talking about?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM

For the one who posted don't post your religious beliefs here-Faith is as common as our own skin.I believe faith in anything that helps us guided to a positive path can be good for your "soul".Its ok for us to disagree on what that higher power is.I found that somewhat discouraging to read.We are a family of support, so isn't it something just to knock one another down, similar to the way an older sibling might do?Whatever our beliefs I hope we all acknowledge our own uniqueness.And sometimes when a view is written it may help another too.Our own family inmates didn't certainly see things the "right" way when they were committing their crimes, and mabey if someone had shed some light about faith they too might have not only believed in a higher power, but themselves so they weren't in the predicaments they are now in.God bless...
The Following User Says Thank You to LionessLove For This Useful Post:
nakeisha99 (09-18-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

They had a show on about the D.C. sniper shootings and the STUPIDEST thing Malvo did was he told everything the investigators wanted to know only if he got 2 veggie burgers!!

Can you believe that??? Imagine saying "Yes if you give me my favorite food then in return I'll spend my entire life in a CAGE!". LOL!!

Malvo must be very naive to spill his guts KNOWING he'd never see the light of day again.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADXDUNGEON View Post
They had a show on about the D.C. sniper shootings and the STUPIDEST thing Malvo did was he told everything the investigators wanted to know only if he got 2 veggie burgers!!

Can you believe that??? Imagine saying "Yes if you give me my favorite food then in return I'll spend my entire life in a CAGE!". LOL!!

Malvo must be very naive to spill his guts KNOWING he'd never see the light of day again.
Neither are really reputed for intelligent thought, do you think?
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Brina

Exclamation He Needs Help, Love and Compassion!

The boy was brain washed, educated in, directed to do what a grown, disciplined from some service man that he looked up to told him to do, KILL. Someone on here said how stupid could he be to tell everything for a burger, that person has no compassion or don't know the basics of the story. This kid mother allowed and gave him to that insane man. This child hide in the trunk of a car, was ordered and trained to kill innocent people, ate when he was allowed, slept when he was told. His mental state was twisted. It's clear to me that he didn't have the sense at the time to know or think that he would go to prison when he told all that they had done for the burger. Now after much needed therapy and love this child has come to see an feel the hurt he has caused. He should at least be given the chance and be believed that he is very sorry and remorseful.

I LOVE HIM BUNCHES!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BrinaM For This Useful Post:
sweetnina (09-28-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Childhood Sweethearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADXDUNGEON View Post

If this is true, i think it exhibits how emotionally unstable he was at the time. My mother worked in the healthcare system and said how many female patients were coaxed into sex by male staff members for a candy bar and other nominal things.

One of the problems with 'the system' is that for every person in prison, regardless of the crime there is no pyschological therapy to help these persons to recover from whatever made them make the choices they've made. I'd wager that most hardend criminals had a difficult childhood.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres
The Following User Says Thank You to missunderstood For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (11-03-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

You know, the kid was 17 when this happened. He's still a kid at 17. I was.

I think that IF anything is done we should pass around a *physical & written* petition to have his sentence reduced. Come on, life with no parole? I don't think he knew any better at the time. Give him maybe 10 to life. That way he can keep his nose clean, educate himself, make something of this, make himself a better man, in those ten years. Make something good of this horrible event.

I think later on I just may write Malvo. I think that kid could use some support.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered View Post
You know, the kid was 17 when this happened. He's still a kid at 17. I was.

I think that IF anything is done we should pass around a *physical & written* petition to have his sentence reduced. Come on, life with no parole? I don't think he knew any better at the time. Give him maybe 10 to life. That way he can keep his nose clean, educate himself, make something of this, make himself a better man, in those ten years. Make something good of this horrible event.

I think later on I just may write Malvo. I think that kid could use some support.
That will NEVER happen. I saw a show on this and FBI and other law enforcement authorities were very upset he didn't get the maximum. Plus he admitted to pulling the trigger for many of the shootings.

The families of the victims would be outraged and they wouldn't let him get out either.

However, when he is very old I guess there is a possibility for clemency but I really don't know. Once he is 60 or 70 years old and many of the victims' family members have passed then MAYBE he could get clemency but even then it's doubtful due to the nature of the crime.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
He will always be ma baby

Its a shame this young man has lost his feedom however he is at age or was at an age were he understands right from wrong, so let God be the judge.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM

I can forgive, sure. Wasn't my wife or kid that got murdered, though. Any one of us might well be singing a different tune if that were the case.

So yeah, I can forgive - but forgiveness does not necessarily work out to a reduced sentence, even if I did have the power to grant one.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 AM
LBI, NJ lovin user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
Should society forgive a young man for killing 10 people? Is there such a thing as corrections or rehabilitation for murderers or other inmates and convicts doing time in jail or prison? What about the families of inmates? What about the families of the victims? Can we ever forgive?

http://ezinearticles.com/?DC-Sniper-...ison&id=777086
Well I've learned you forgive for your benefit and NOT to let the other person off the hook. You forgive because you want to unload and purge yourself of the anger, the bitterness, the way these things make YOU feel. It harms us not to forgive others. These men will one day meet their maker same as us ... but I believe in a loving and forgiving God, I believe God is love.

Can prison rehabilitate, I think so sometimes, at least I hope so. Someone doing a long sentence can surely change and grow and become different over time - just like you and me.

So I hope the victims and families learn to forgive for their own sakes. These guys executed 10 innocents so I feel they must pay for those crimes. There are many people who's early childhoods were hell and we did not execute people. That's not an excuse for this rampage, at least IMHO.

Reading this also reminds me of the fear I felt when I learned these guys made many trips on the highway near my house (between NY and DC). Just that thought really frightened me so I can't imagine the fear around the Beltway during this time!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 AM

God's love and mercy is absolute. When we confess our sins, He forgives us completely. He takes away our sins, but NOT the earthly consequences for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saracmc For This Useful Post:
dizsqueen (01-02-2009), LamontLover (01-06-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

"Can you live with the conquences of your views?"

This statement comes to mind when I read of this young man. Betwix the media and society, most of our views of him are multi-faceted. From what I've read this morning, most agree he's had a hard turn of things, what from being sold by his MAMA to the very man that he went on this spree with, can't be easy for the victim's family & friends to read that article and agree with giving him less time. Someone here stated, "wasn't my family he killed, so..." that's pretty much true. If you didn't lose someone during that particular spree, then your view is quite tainted and biased. As where I stand, as the penal system states pretty much of the time, the crimes commited against society by these two were HAC (Heinous, Actrocious & Cruel)...the fact that Malvo didn't receive the max sentence proves maybe society isn't as cruel as she used to be. Did anyone see the Dark Knight? Once the Joker got those folk on the barges and gave them the power to blow up the other, the Prisoners felt they deserved to die...but the other barge with regular folk didn't want to be the ones to make that decision. No matter what a man has done to get where he is, for the most part most of us wouldn't want to be the ones to decide what happens to him next. Now, the question is-is that human nature?
-Thanks for allowing me to share. Delphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
Should society forgive a young man for killing 10 people? Is there such a thing as corrections or rehabilitation for murderers or other inmates and convicts doing time in jail or prison? What about the families of inmates? What about the families of the victims? Can we ever forgive?

http://ezinearticles.com/?DC-Sniper-...ison&id=777086