Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 PM

I think if weights are to stay in prison they should be after a inmate has completed something as an educational program or working for a period of time. Having weights isn't a basic necessity to live in prison.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
---------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabear
What!!! How much strength does it take to stab someone or crush their skull with a ballbat? My husband is a power lifter and I'm willing to bet that though true he could swing harder than I, both of us could make a big mess out of a pumpkin.
And I thought all street thugs carried guns now anyway. You only have to be a 98lb weakling to work one of those.

In MI the inmates pay for their own weights. Most weight pits are outside and you have to be pretty dedicated to go out there when the snows blowing to work out.

I am sick everytime I hear the oh they got it so good crap. Yeah, well than put your money where your mouth is and take my husbands place and go live in the lap of luxury.

Wow! I LOVE what you had to say about this issue. I'm with ya on this completely!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Logical solution

If they're so worried about the inmates becoming bigger than the guards, why don't they just limit the size of the weights? Smaller, lighter weights allow inmates to keep in good physical shape without necessarily building up massive bulk. Working with weights helps people lose weight, research is showing now.

Also, why not give the guards access to the weights, if they're so worried about the inmates getting bigger. The guards can get bigger too.

I'm heading off to a federal camp in a few days (unless bail is restored), and learning that weights won't be there because of this stupid political posturing is disappointing.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 AM

I think one of the biggest reasons is cost of the guard. Instead of a guard watching prisoners doing weights they could utilize them elsewehre.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Becka

Weight lifting is the only thing that occupies my fiance's time. He said it keeps him sane.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
In God's Time Not Ours

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirlaa2
I agree with Donna. I see only the benefits to weight lifting. It occupies their times and teaches them goals. One of the most important things in life is goals. Setting and accomplishing goals gives you a sense of satisfaction. Something that is needed in prison,.

If it help them pass the time and keeps them out of trouble then it's good

New Date 09/12/15
Old 09-27-2007, 06:03 PM

Implying that a couple of weight benches is the eqivilant to a resort or spa is just plain stupid. If not for some sort of stress relief they would become more dangerous. These bozo's should spend 30 days in a prison and find out how fabulous it is in there. Don't they all look like they've been on retreats?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 AM

My brother in law did a 5 year bid in NJ....went in all about gangs, drugs etc and with the I don't care attitude. A CO turned him on to the weight room and it changed his life. He's been home 4 years now and works as a personal trainer...wouldn't even think of putting a drug in his now beautiful body. He went from a thug to a very sound minded man. I don't miss the old him at all.

Now where PO is in jail they don't have any weights and they are not allowed to work out....he said you do your push ups against the wall so that if a guard comes by you aren't on the floor etc. He has always worked out and it's gotta be hard not to do something so healthy for your mind, body, and soul.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Donation Award 

Lifting is the only thing that keeps hubby sane in there.

藕断丝连
The lotus root snaps, but its fibers stay joined.
Said of people (especially lovers) that still remain in contact though apparently separated.
Separated but still in each other's thoughts.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm currently watching on MSNBC...Lock Up Extended Stay in San Quentin. It just showed a group of guys on the yard filling bags up with water to use as (make) their weights. Said the Gov. won't allow them to have real weights. Also, doing push-up's, running in place, etc. in their cells. That's pitiful that they have to be creative in finding ways to stay physically fit! Gov. Schwarzenegger is pretty well "pumped up" (to the max) his self. What the hell? He of all people should relate to physical fitness. Saying that inmates work out to become intimidating towards CO's is crazy!!! I know when my guy works out...he says he wants to stay in shape & look good for me!

Last edited by Suthrndreamgirl; 09-28-2007 at 07:45 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Forever and a day!

Im glad they have weights and other thing to pass their time. They are already locked up why make it worse?

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly

Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Do most state prisons no longer have weights? What about federal prisons?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Counting DOWN- 12/08

They just took all weights out of Florida. I don't know abour federal my husband is state. But the word is that they have been finding mass building supliments. They want the guys to do more calisthenics. It is healthier for their hearts and they won't get bigger than the CO's, supposidly.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommat
They just took all weights out of Florida. I don't know abour federal my husband is state. But the word is that they have been finding mass building supliments. They want the guys to do more calisthenics. It is healthier for their hearts and they won't get bigger than the CO's, supposidly.
What do you mean? You mean they have been finding alternatives to weight lifting in federal prisons?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 AM
His Ruby RED 4 LIFE

I'm happy they have weights, because if not, my hubby would be fighting more that he already is. I think it's the least they can do...

LADY MAD B**
Old 11-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Our Love Will Get Us Thru

My husband is in a FPC and was able to use the gym and weights. He was a type 2 diabetic. Without the gym and weights he would have never been able to control the type 2 diabetes. He is no longers carries the disease and is free from all shots and medicine.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

i had to go to the beginning of this thread (bless ya all day fed-x!) and if it isn't one thing, it's another. i happen to remember that sherrif making his inmates sleep in tents and eat bologna all day, every day ... he's thinking abut running for gov'nr! Okay, and it's bad enough most states have no real "release" (conjugal visits) to maintain family bonds... and now they want to take away the weights... talk about placing the fox in the midst of the chickens!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Pen Pal

I agree with most here. I think that they should have a way for the guys and gals to release any anger or whatever release they need. Also, again, like someone else stated, goals. I know that on the outside, I have a goal of losing weight. I would be torn if I were not allowed to work out every day...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Default My ex-boyfriend

I used to date a guy who owned a nutrition store and he told me about how he helped a guy who was going to prison who wanted tips on getting fit.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Oklahoma does not have them either. At least the prison where my husband is at.
I can not believe that weight lifting would be cut.. What do they expect inmates to do?
The programs are a joke and few of them, they can't smoke, the phone calls are outrageous, so really what is it that the state and federal people expect to happen here?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:30 PM

It is a really bad idea. Weight training encourages aggression, and there is way too much of that in prisons anyway. Let them do cardio instead.

Some may dispute my statement 'weight training encourages aggression'. Well I used to do running and cycling but for the past year I've been weight training instead and I definitely am more aggressive now. And no I do not take 'roids.

Also look at the number of people who start weight training and go on to do sports like boxing and MMA. They want to put their strengh into something functional and useful i.e fighting. It is absolute madness to encourage inmates to weight train. Of course you cannot stop them doing push ups or chin ups but that will not make them get huge.

Cardio will tire them out, keep them fit and relax and de-stress them much more effectively.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM

I guess everyone has their "opinions" but I think that it depends on the individual. Not everyone becomes more aggressive. That is sterotyping in my opinion. I knew some men that were built up in prison that weren't aggressive, they just wanted to better themselves.

Last edited by RaysHeart; 09-19-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Inmates ought to be able to lift weights. But if they can't, I've seen some burley individuals that only ran and did floor exercises.