Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 478 Posts

I think the idea of a "show" is a good one. But not appropriate for mainstream commercial TV, which tends to be exploitive. Here are some ideas: Start it as a Internet-based program and build the audience base. Then, try to get PBS interested. The actual format would have to be debated and thought about--moderators, narrative, etc. I personally don't like the idea of a straight "reality show" because I think they don't provide a suitable narrative for a subject like this one. If anyone knows people who produce programs for the Internet, a group could be formed to develop a format and submit it here for feedback. An idea is just an idea until someone acts on it! (I have no experience in media but am hoping someone else does). If no one knows anyone, we could brainstorm appropriate people/organizations to approach with the idea. They would need to be established and respected activist organizations that produce media. What comes to my mind firstoff is the National Lawyers Guild and Amnesty International. Or, a foundation that produces media for social activist causes. Another possibility would be to go to the PBS website (like Link TV) to get ideas of who to approach. (I like brainstorming--it's the follow-through that's difficult). I think that in order to get the idea off the ground, we need to see how much interest there is here, first of all, and whether any one has any connections in media.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-09-2012), Geauxin'KraZee (09-06-2012), SusanWayward (09-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxin'KraZee View Post
LOL! Nah! This phone types what it wants! His name starts with a T. That really narrows it down!
Too funny!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,341 Posts

Quote:
This post makes a lot of sense to me. You know, there is practically a reality TV show on just about anything or any topic you can dream of. We have Prison Talk Online thanks to David and so many other wonderful people and its helping so many of us by leaps and bounds. What I would like to see happen now is to have Prison Talk TV! Why not? If something like Hells Kitchen can be put on the TV screen, why not something this important? I'm talking about getting a host/ hostess to do a TV show and have scheduled guest who are actually involved in prison life and really put it out there! I know my idea will probably get laughed at, but think about it - LOL at how many RIDICULOUS things make it to reality TV and unlike a lot of the programs, prison IS an actual reality!
I wasn't able to see the show Prison Wife, heck I've gotten so tired of reality tv and tv in general, I spend much more time outdoors and reading these days when I'm not online.
I had no idea that post would lead to this suggestion
We all appreciate what PTO has opened a door for us to express ourselves and learn/cope with the lives we're living. This site costs David and the staff a great expense to upkeep and operate. To ask more of them would be overbearing, yet someone who's equally talented and inspired could pursue the idea and open the door to trying this out. It doesn't have to be on "TV" the internet has more "shows" not broadcast on cable/satellite than I ever knew before I cancelled my subscription. It doesn't have to be a Alphabet Tube posting either. There are many options out there, and given the feedback here, more of you have hidden inspirations that should be put into action. What a great idea
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
I think the idea of a "show" is a good one. But not appropriate for mainstream commercial TV, which tends to be exploitive. Here are some ideas: Start it as a Internet-based program and build the audience base. Then, try to get PBS interested. The actual format would have to be debated and thought about--moderators, narrative, etc. I personally don't like the idea of a straight "reality show" because I think they don't provide a suitable narrative for a subject like this one. If anyone knows people who produce programs for the Internet, a group could be formed to develop a format and submit it here for feedback. An idea is just an idea until someone acts on it! (I have no experience in media but am hoping someone else does). If no one knows anyone, we could brainstorm appropriate people/organizations to approach with the idea. They would need to be established and respected activist organizations that produce media. What comes to my mind firstoff is the National Lawyers Guild and Amnesty International. Or, a foundation that produces media for social activist causes. Another possibility would be to go to the PBS website (like Link TV) to get ideas of who to approach. (I like brainstorming--it's the follow-through that's difficult). I think that in order to get the idea off the ground, we need to see how much interest there is here, first of all, and whether any one has any connections in media.
PBS airs documentaries about those who are incarcerated all the time. The last one I watched was on Independent Lens. I think PBS picks up programming not necessary produced by them but follow the format they encourage. So once someone distributes they may air it later.
marie8899 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Many people may ask what the hell I'm still doing on this site since my man is home and ill tell you why. First of all, I became.very passionate about this stuff because I've seen first hand at what happened to my man right before my own eyes and I STILL can't believe it happened! Yes he is home a year and a half now and we are doing fine. But because he is on parole and we live in a state that revokes for the most minute things, we live in fear! My man loves that I'm still on this site trying to help those who are still living this life. But, he is too afraid for me.to post his name, our photos and Anthony of that nature. He DID go to jail.for something he did NOT DO. There are way too many who are incarcerated for either something they didn't do or for something so freaking miniscule that shoud have been handled some other way, ( with a fine, treatment, restitution,etc.) When my mans parole is a done deal, YOU WILL know.more about who I am and no, I'm not anything great or important, but I am adamant about my voice being heard on this subject. I used to be called "little big mouth" in school and I still am 5 foot tall stick of dynamite. I just learned a lot better how to channel my emotions. I may or may not accomplish something here, but I will go out of my way to do my best to try and have my voice heard!
I appreciate all the men and women who do return to PTO postincarceration because you provide a dual perspective of our lives. I didn't think two years ago, I'd be here wondering how to do this or that for another bid, yet we're fighting through this and it's no easy task. But I'm learning different lessons from before through the advice of those with not so happy homecomings who've continued to post, those who've been on multiple rides supporting their loved ones, and everyone in between. So please continue to post and share your experiences, it is welcomed.
Geauxin'KraZee (09-09-2012), marie8899 (09-09-2012), SusanWayward (09-12-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

My husband and I have been together for just over a year but he has been down 34 years he is up for transfer. We were discussing the move and he tells me never tell anyone that your husband is incarcerated I have no problem with where he is, it doesnt make him less of a man and it isnt something I would just tell people anyway . He goes on to tell me that if people know I will face too much prejudice and he doesnt want me to have to go through all that for something that he did. It is really safd that society just cant see our loved ones as human beings especially with the staggering numbers of.people who are incarcerated in this country
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-10-2012), cottage style (10-21-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Default cost

my sons guidelines were 11 months to 2 years and 7 months.the judge sentenced him to 31 years with no parole. suspended all but 8 which he will spend 85% or 6.8 years. At 28,000 a year, it will cost the state $190,400.00 for $400.00 in credit card fraud and thief and walking into a unsecured storage shed with NO weapon, not on a residencial property, and taking a generator valued by the court at $10.00. The Pew report talks about an extremely high rate of people in Va being sentenced way over the guidelines because of judicial aggression. Maybe they need to come up with figures when they give their reports. This is only one inmate. I would like my grandchildren educated.

Last edited by nithtmare; 09-14-2012 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nithtmare For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-15-2012), Geauxin'KraZee (09-14-2012), smart woman100 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM

I understand that criminals need to be punished, but believe there needs to be some consistency to the punishment. My husband was charged with theft and forgery, he took $500,000 from his employer. He faced up to 12 years in the DOC. He agreed to a plea deal of 5 years DOC with full restitution. So that means he will be taken away from his family for at least 2 years, then on top of that he has to pay back half a million dollars. And then he has 5 years mandatory parole

I do want to mention that his PSI recommended community corrections, and the judge tried to ge the prosecutor to go with comm corr but she would not budge.

He is extememly intelligent and well educated, but who is going to hire him once he is released? He will be lucky if he makes $10/hr. He is 38 years old, never been in trouble with the law, ever. He is not a violent offender.

So let me ask you all this, Do you believe that what he was given is fair? Do we really need to send first time non violent offenders away for several years? It said in his PSI report that it will cost 32K a year to keep him in the DOC.

Then I hear on the news that an ex marine shoots and kills another marine at a party, they were drunk and apparently playing some game, and he gets 18 months. A year and a half for murdering someone!

At one of my husbands court appearances there was a man charged with running a drug ring. He was a high school teacher and ran it through his students. He was disabled, in a wheelchair. When he appeard in front of the judge he told him that he was accepted to some program in Philadelphia. He was going to help disabled people that were in need of prosthetic limbs. And the judge let him go! gave him probation. For running a drug dealing business through children!

Where is the consistency in sentencing? How can people with violent crimes get away, when non violent offenders get the book thrown at them? It is just amazing to me how much injustice ther is in our "justice" system.
The Following User Says Thank You to alifedestroyed For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifedestroyed View Post
I understand that criminals need to be punished, but believe there needs to be some consistency to the punishment. My husband was charged with theft and forgery, he took $500,000 from his employer. He faced up to 12 years in the DOC. He agreed to a plea deal of 5 years DOC with full restitution. So that means he will be taken away from his family for at least 2 years, then on top of that he has to pay back half a million dollars. And then he has 5 years mandatory parole

I do want to mention that his PSI recommended community corrections, and the judge tried to ge the prosecutor to go with comm corr but she would not budge.

He is extememly intelligent and well educated, but who is going to hire him once he is released? He will be lucky if he makes $10/hr. He is 38 years old, never been in trouble with the law, ever. He is not a violent offender.

So let me ask you all this, Do you believe that what he was given is fair? Do we really need to send first time non violent offenders away for several years? It said in his PSI report that it will cost 32K a year to keep him in the DOC.

Then I hear on the news that an ex marine shoots and kills another marine at a party, they were drunk and apparently playing some game, and he gets 18 months. A year and a half for murdering someone!

At one of my husbands court appearances there was a man charged with running a drug ring. He was a high school teacher and ran it through his students. He was disabled, in a wheelchair. When he appeard in front of the judge he told him that he was accepted to some program in Philadelphia. He was going to help disabled people that were in need of prosthetic limbs. And the judge let him go! gave him probation. For running a drug dealing business through children!

Where is the consistency in sentencing? How can people with violent crimes get away, when non violent offenders get the book thrown at them? It is just amazing to me how much injustice ther is in our "justice" system.
The question of consistency lies in one being unbiased. Just look around this forum and particularly in the statements you've made that I highlighted in orange. We are all loved ones of someone who's incarcerated yet when it comes down to the crime itself and the time served, here enter the biases.

Your husband took $500,000 from his employer, not $5, 50, or 5,000. I don't know how many people would feel about having someone they hired to do a job for them to take that much of hard earned money from them and not seek some "justice"...however you define the word. For you, this is your husband's first offense, nonviolent, he's educated, i.e. to the rest of the world before this someone not expected to be arrested much less serve that much time and be characterised for the rest of his life as an ex-con (all prior statements are biased stereotypes). To anyone else, that amount of money, isn't even their net worth, that's about 20 salaries per year for an average United States worker, full-time employed, without benefits. That's not just but that's what most people get up every day to earn to support their families.

Then there's the possibility that your husband has lost the trust of his employer, but moreso that of those he worked along side because that money has to be replaced somehow until he pays back that whenever he's released. To add to that, how will he be able to when as you have stated, he may have lost the opportunity to make the earnings he once did prior to now becoming an offender. Also, that now takes away from being the co-provider in your family.

Justice and consistency. You then list examples that you heard about on the "news" and witnessed in court. Be careful, you got the "breaking news" perspective and a snippet of that person's case to do just what it did for you. Get a reaction, cause alarm, and lead to the feelings you are now feeling. Those feelings are more intense because you are now apart of this criminal "justice" system. What you heard made you feel like your husband got a raw deal in the eyes of justice in comparison to the "murderer" and "drug dealer" yet from the outside looking in...one could label your husband a "robber/theif" because he is in the same box they are. Violent/Non-violent, that description changes as the DOC and legistlature sees necessary to continue to maintain occupancy levels of the prison system (hence the original reason for this thread).

To answer your last questions: Where is the consistency, that hasn't existed since God evicted Adam & Eve from the Garden (if that's apart of your belief system and I'm not being blasphomous) and theologians don't agree on that so perhaps there was not ever any. How can people with violent crimes get away, when non violent offenders get the book thrown at them? Again, this is your perspective, and if you have a moment, read through the numerous forums and see how many "get away". It is just amazing to me how much injustice there is in our "justice" system. And yes it's amazing to all of us caught in this system how "just" it is. I wish you more peace the longer you go through this but most of all, a greater vision of how everyone endures when we become a part of this system.
SusanWayward (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 PM

when we fix the poverty and provide good education to all then we can begin to address the problems of why we have such a large prison population.
aradia (11-05-2012), choclgs (09-15-2012), SusanWayward (09-15-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Love this post! Thank you

Last edited by jagger89; 10-21-2012 at 12:02 AM..