Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 02-19-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermisk View Post
Hello I should try and post here more. I am sorry. I'm just overwhelmed honestly. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

I think they offered me a plea bargain early on as they want me to testify against my boss.

MizzyMuffling Ė She is also being charged with a number of offences. My lawyer in convinced she will be found guilty and have to serve a long sentence unless she cuts her own plea bargain (I don't know how that would work)

Thank you again to everyone for the support. It's almost too hard to know what to say.
I don't understand why you're being charged and sentenced considering the fact that you haven't committed any crimes. I'm also sorry that you're going through hell right now and more so for a very broken justice system.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 01:40 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

Quote:
I have another update. It's not good news unfortunately. Things have been slow, but I've been offered a plea bargain that would include 16 months of prison time.
Yiikes, 16 months of prison as a first time offender - you must be looking at federal time, must be pleading to some large fraud... while in county, awaiting sentencing, I witnessed a lot of women who faced state and federal time, your case sure is moving quickly, that's huge... time is everything!

Wishing you a successful outcome.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:13 PM

I'm sorry for not visiting this site more often. I feel I should offer an update my my situation. Everything to do with my case and incarceration seems to have gone on hold because of the virus now. I guess it was to be expected but honestly it is a nightmare and very frustrating. So it well and truly feels like my life is paused right now. I’m trying to stay positive but it is tough with everything hanging over me. I know I’m not the only one in this situation by all means, but the whole thing is super stressful right now. It’s hard not to spend my whole life reading up about my crime and what to expect in prison. I shouldn’t do it I know, but sometimes my brain just starts to wander.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-18-2020), MizzyMuffling (04-18-2020), sidewalker (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for not visiting this site more often. I feel I should offer an update my my situation. Everything to do with my case and incarceration seems to have gone on hold because of the virus now. I guess it was to be expected but honestly it is a nightmare and very frustrating. So it well and truly feels like my life is paused right now. Iím trying to stay positive but it is tough with everything hanging over me. I know Iím not the only one in this situation by all means, but the whole thing is super stressful right now. Itís hard not to spend my whole life reading up about my crime and what to expect in prison. I shouldnít do it I know, but sometimes my brain just starts to wander.

The sad truth is regardless of how innocent you are you're still guilty in the eyes of the law. And to be honest alot of Attorneys will and do take your hard earned money and still put you in prison by offering you a plea deal instead of fighting for your rights. I'm sorry that you're going though all this heartache but like you said you're not the only one going through all this. If you can and your finding that your Attorney isn't helping much try to get a second opinion if you have the time and funds to do so. I wish you all the best. My heart goes out to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for not visiting this site more often. I feel I should offer an update my my situation. Everything to do with my case and incarceration seems to have gone on hold because of the virus now. I guess it was to be expected but honestly it is a nightmare and very frustrating. So it well and truly feels like my life is paused right now. Iím trying to stay positive but it is tough with everything hanging over me. I know Iím not the only one in this situation by all means, but the whole thing is super stressful right now. Itís hard not to spend my whole life reading up about my crime and what to expect in prison. I shouldnít do it I know, but sometimes my brain just starts to wander.
It is SO HARD oh everyone right now because it's like we've all got SOMETHING up in the air, and the hope of releasing our LO's due to this is keeping us on even more edge. One way or another, you'll get through this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:50 PM
Donation Award 

Default free

Being grateful for current freedom, making sure you have your health concerns all in order, vaccines, physicals, dental, blood work, etc. My son was taken by surprise and didn't have the opportunity to get cavities filled. Now sitting in prison going on one year, no dentist provided yet, he is on a long waiting list. Freedom is precious, so enjoy your time now and you have time to prepare. Another thing is a power of attorney in place, to handle things for you while you cannot do so from prison. Good luck to you. Some hearings are still taking place, sentencing hearings, arraignments, some are postponed jury trials etc.. But now things wil start opening up in various states slowly.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Being grateful for current freedom, making sure you have your health concerns all in order, vaccines, physicals, dental, blood work, etc. My son was taken by surprise and didn't have the opportunity to get cavities filled. Now sitting in prison going on one year, no dentist provided yet, he is on a long waiting list. Freedom is precious, so enjoy your time now and you have time to prepare. Another thing is a power of attorney in place, to handle things for you while you cannot do so from prison. Good luck to you. Some hearings are still taking place, sentencing hearings, arraignments, some are postponed jury trials etc.. But now things wil start opening up in various states slowly.
Thank you so much for the advice. Yes, I am trying my best to get everything in order now although it is tough with the lockdown as well as my own curfew due to my bail conditions! It's super frustrating as right now as dentists where I am will only see emergency cases and the same goes with trying to get a physical as well. I do understand why but obviously it makes it hard for people in my position. Thank you again for you kind words
Old 04-19-2020, 06:26 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,106 Times in 16,541 Posts

Yeah, this virus and the lockdown in the country that effects everything sure does not make things any easier, thats for sure.
You can only do what you can so there is no sense fretting over what you cannot do.
You do your best. And Im sure you are Wintermisk.
And I know the wait is just horrific for you emotionally, and mentally.
Hang in there, and know we care and are all hoping for the best for you and your family.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:58 AM

Thank you Sidewalker. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining too bitterly. I know everyone is having a tough time right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-19-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 PM

Hey again all. I'm still waiting for my sentencing at the moment. I have a lot on my mind at the moment and my brain feels like it is about to explode right now honestly. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I would ask this here.

As I have posted before, I will be providing evidence against my boss in her trial. I'm just wondering if doing this will have any consequences for me during my own incarceration? From what I've heard and read about being labeled a "snitch" is not something you want when you are inside. Is this something I need to be aware of? Is it possible I might be singled out at all for doing this once I am in prison? Ideally I will just keep it to myself. If I do that will it be ok for the most part? My only other worry is that I might end up in the same location as my boss, which would not be ideal for a number of reasons obviously.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Donation Award 

Default Papers

My son tells me being a "snitch" is not good, and prisoners will have friends on the outside look you up in PACER. People will ask you what you are in for, I have read in PTO that at higher security Medium etc, the prisoners will demand your papers to show all the details. If you got a deal. My son's attorney told me half the prisoners snitched in some way to get a lesser sentence.

Is your boss going to prison too? Could they be sent to the same prison as you? I hope not. Talk to your attorney. If your boss ends up at the same prison, I would ask for a transfer for safety. Your attorney should address that at sentencing and they can request you go to a certain prison but it is not a guarantee. BOP decides I think.

Good luck at sentencing! How much time are you facing? What level of prison?

Quote:
Hey again all. I'm still waiting for my sentencing at the moment. I have a lot on my mind at the moment and my brain feels like it is about to explode right now honestly. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I would ask this here.

As I have posted before, I will be providing evidence against my boss in her trial. I'm just wondering if doing this will have any consequences for me during my own incarceration? From what I've heard and read about being labeled a "snitch" is not something you want when you are inside. Is this something I need to be aware of? Is it possible I might be singled out at all for doing this once I am in prison? Ideally I will just keep it to myself. If I do that will it be ok for the most part? My only other worry is that I might end up in the same location as my boss, which would not be ideal for a number of reasons obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (06-07-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,460 Times in 17,279 Posts

State DOC's do not use Pacer, only Federal.

wintermisk, I'm truly sorry for what you're going through While my sentence was nowhere near that, facing any time at all is stressful.

Sending you positive energy...keep your chin up, kiddo. You can do this.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (06-07-2020), sidewalker (06-08-2020), wintermisk (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:

The best advise to give you is to discuss it with your attorney and if prosecution wants you to snitch for a lesser sentence then ask them to have the record sealed. because as i've learned sealed records are kept sealed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-16-2020), wintermisk (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 06:44 AM

Patchouli – Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

Born – My attorney has mentioned about having my records sealed actually. I will go back and double check with her about it. If they are sealed I assume I will be ok and won't have to tell anyone once I start my sentence. Do people tend to ask?

Apparently whether I end up in the same place as my boss will just depend on different things and is something I have no control over right now!
patchouli (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:12 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,106 Times in 16,541 Posts

I highly doubt you would be placed in the same facility as your ex boss. I cant be 100% certain of that, but I know with men, they do not place them in the same facility.
Your best bet will be : dont ask, dont tell. Do not ask anyone else what they are in for.
If asked, you can always say..for breaking the law, same as you.
Im so sorry this has been dragging on and on for you.
You are in my thoughts, and my offer still stands for letters to check in with you. Hang in there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-16-2020), fbopnomore (06-09-2020), patchouli (06-07-2020), wintermisk (06-09-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Patchouli Ė Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

Born Ė My attorney has mentioned about having my records sealed actually. I will go back and double check with her about it. If they are sealed I assume I will be ok and won't have to tell anyone once I start my sentence. Do people tend to ask?

Apparently whether I end up in the same place as my boss will just depend on different things and is something I have no control over right now!

Yes people will ask, It's human nature to be snoopy. People ask to gauge what type of a person you are and whether or not they can manipulate you or use you on the inside for their gains. Personally I wouldn't tell them anything. Always watch your back and don't get too friendly with anyone as most people on the inside will try to gain your friendship and trust to use you. Don't fall prey. Good luck and I wish you well.

I still don't understand why you're being involved in all of this when all you did was your job. I'm still shaking my head at the American penal system and how they allow innocent people such as you and my husband go to jail when innocent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
wintermisk (06-09-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 03:05 PM

Wintermisk,

Another piece of advise is to try and watch some documentaries on the prison system before you go in at least that way you'd get an idea of whats it's like. (So it won't come as a shock when you get in) Also try to read up on the prison system especially if you know which one you'd be going to. You can also find and download the penal rules that you have to abide by.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:45 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,460 Times in 17,279 Posts

I'm not so sure I would advise watching prison documentaries....they tend to hype the violence. From my understanding, prison is quite boring most of the time. Its best to make use of everything & anything as far classes / programs.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-16-2020), joybubby (06-14-2020), LifeTraveler (06-12-2020), MizzyMuffling (06-07-2020), sidewalker (06-08-2020), wintermisk (06-09-2020), Zunigene (09-05-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Donation Award 

This all still blows me away at how rapidly the case went to accepting a plea. I feel bad for you on that as so many other cases including my girls, they fight for a good 6 months and get all the way to jury selection to accept the plea. Its a good thing you aren't going in during covid though, that is really stressing out some of the girls out there in the institutions. Mine though is in camp and that is not a worry but the other worries outweigh it hahah

It will suck till you get situated, then its just coasting through. It has been two years for us and it has been over 100 days now with no visits due to covid so were a little strung out right now. Good you are avoiding that because there are alot of lockdowns and transfer stops and measures that make life terrible in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-16-2020), wintermisk (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I highly doubt you would be placed in the same facility as your ex boss. I cant be 100% certain of that, but I know with men, they do not place them in the same facility.
Your best bet will be : dont ask, dont tell. Do not ask anyone else what they are in for.
If asked, you can always say..for breaking the law, same as you.
Im so sorry this has been dragging on and on for you.
You are in my thoughts, and my offer still stands for letters to check in with you. Hang in there.
Thank you always for the support I really appreciate it! That all makes a lot of sense. And thank you the offer regarding letters. When the time comes I'll ask my sister to contact you again.
sidewalker (06-12-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
It has been two years for us and it has been over 100 days now with no visits due to covid so were a little strung out right now. Good you are avoiding that because there are alot of lockdowns and transfer stops and measures that make life terrible in there.
I can't imagine how hard that must be for you and everyone else going through it. I know I should feel lucky for not being there right now Ė I am trying to think positively, I really am! If I am lucky at least will be back to normal by the time I have to start my sentence. I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that.
studebaker71 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanked 1,093 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I'm not so sure I would advise watching prison documentaries....they tend to hype the violence. From my understanding, prison is quite boring most of the time. Its best to make use of everything & anything as far classes / programs.
Prison documentaries cram 30-60 days of filming into 1 or 2 hour block of air time. Of course we are going to see the worst of it. It's what sells TV. Filming hours and hours of inmates watching TV, working out, playing basketball or spending time in the library does not sell commercials.

Even violent high security prisons might have incidents almost daily it is still only effecting those that are involved with it. At least directly. Everyone is effected with lockdowns (more boredom).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I can't imagine how hard that must be for you and everyone else going through it. I know I should feel lucky for not being there right now Ė I am trying to think positively, I really am! If I am lucky at least will be back to normal by the time I have to start my sentence. I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that.
It was very tough the first month, now I am just numb again. It REALLY sucks and I am so upset watching 20,000 people protesting with no masks and the mayor joining them no masks and so many law enforcement and all these people engaging all over Los Angeles but they wont open visits up. Its just hard to watch happen all around us and not be able to connect for so long. I mean the only thing that keeps us going is that this is just a across the board thing and there's nothing we can do to change it.

I will say that the main thing that's getting me through this crap is the fact we have 34 days left. We will be done and done soon and we can get on with the next stage of getting free from this crap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-16-2020), fbopnomore (06-09-2020), wintermisk (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Donation Award 

Wintermisk you’ve been on my mind. I’m glad you’re hanging in there.

No masks at the protests is mind boggling here too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kvinna20 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-11-2020), sidewalker (06-12-2020), wintermisk (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Thank you again everyone for the support. It means a lot.

This might not be the place to ask but I wanted know: if and how I would be eligible for work release?
fbopnomore (06-14-2020)