Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
--------------

Thanked 6,984 Times in 2,108 Posts

There is method to my madness...

The only reason why i ask is this...

Me and my honey were having a discussion. And i said this:

"i'd rather you be an honest addict then a lying nothing"...

after we talked about it...it continued to play in my head..

and i began to second guess what had already flown from my lips. Is there such thing as an honest addict?

I guess what I meant by it was...i would rather him be honest about his thoughts and actions..then sneak around..

I'm a firm believer that the truth always comes out.

In reguards to my mother...I guess you could say shes an "honest addict"...most of the time.

If you ask if she's been drinkin she'll say yes (most of the time)...then others she'll deny it to the bone

What do YOU think decoprincess? (ps what book was that?)

Last edited by PTO-189145; 06-09-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM
muyas wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtimer View Post
Hello All,
Good thread,
Danya congratulations on your 2 year mark. I know it is tough, i lived with my husband who is in a form of recovery because of his incarceration. Although he has been in and out of rehab at least three times these past two years, I can see a change in him this time, i don't know if it is the fear of losing his family because 10 months ago I made a positive change in my self when I joined al anon and celebrate recovery which is a spiritual base recovery tool.
Personality change- is a change in the people they hang with, the things they do and the places they go.
It may sound strange to some but my husband even argues differently with me now.
Mrsagger: Everyday that you decide not to use is a good day. It may get hard some days you may think about but when you make the decision not to you keep your sobriety for another day. ODAT one day at a time. Do not worry about tomorrow it will take care of itself

And I send you all a great big KISS: Keep It Simple Silly. Changed it a little as to not offend anyone.

i to am like secondtimer, my husbands 2nd time in prison because of useing drugs, he says he has no problem and makes excuses for himself. the whole thing is he knows god and does bible studys in there to help the men in bringing them to god, when i mention about him useing he dont want to hear it, he says he has changed yet a second time, and knows that the devil has atacked him in his weakness, that should not be an excuse for him choosing his own will to do drugs, i pray so much for him to finaly change this one last time. also he has damaged his brain cells because he has what i call "dilusion disorder" i will get him help when he comes home next week, if he says no and i see his disorder still there i will leave him coz i cant and wont go through this any more with him,, he thinks nasa is after him and the police has framed him its crazy, then one day he is loving and talking about god, he knows a lot about the bible.
he wants and says he has changed, just like last time. but i want to believe him, much as i want to help him.. i told him the ball is in his court, it"s up to him to change.. thanks for reading, this is a great post god bless.......

my soulmate is now home!!
The Following User Says Thank You to gods mercy For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-09-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
--------------

gods mercy: thank you so much for sharing with us. First off..congratulations on the homecoming..I see you are keeping the faith. Thats a good thing. I hope and pray he gets the help he needs because its sounds like more than just an addiction.Your right..there is no excuse for their actions...Keep the faith..I'll keep you in my prayers
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Love over Fear
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,254 Times in 755 Posts

OK then, I would want an honest addict. And to a great extent he has always been an honest addict with me. When he first broke up with me, out of the blue it was because he was using, he just did not share that with me at the time. For him, he did not "want to take me down" 2 months later, I found this out and proceeded to hunt and chase him. As I tell him now, you broke it off with me, but I did not break up with you.
I have asked that he remain honest with me and I in turn will not leave him.

The book,
The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure
Written by the man who runs the rehab in Malibu CA.
The Following User Says Thank You to decoprincess For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-10-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM
--------------

How's Everyone feeling?

It's been quiet in here

Don't tell me I'm the one who has to get discussions rollin
Old 06-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Casanovas_Angel

Default I love this forum and thankful for it

This forum is exactly what i need now. My love was finally released from prison on sunday and we spent all this week up till thursday when he went into a program but the thing is the program is still 2 hours from me. Its still hard but I know hes getting help and now finding this forum I know I will get thru this bit now. I know hes safe and doing good and thats all that matters. But I will admit I still cry and go through the motions everyday that passes. Our phone call arent collect so were able to tal.k now and I still write him everyday. But this helps so much so thank you soo much!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Casanovas_Angel For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
--------------

Casanovas Angel..thank you for sharing..and congratulations on the homecoming. I'm glad he is getting the help he needs. We are all in this together..We all go through the different emotions...this crazy rollercoaster ride...and it is comforting to know that I (we) are not alone.

I look forward to your input within this thread!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM

I'll share my story...My ex boyfriend I met while he was locked up and when he got discharged he started doing pills again and somehow along the line I started doing them as well. I didn't want him to do them, but here I was doing them with him and I have never done drugs before I met him. After we broke up, I continued to do pills and spent what money I had on them. I could tell I was getting addicted. Luckily, I moved to Texas where I knew nobody and did not know how to get any pills, so I havent done any since November. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them. I know they make me feel a lot better if I have them in my system and I wish i could find some, but it is good that I haven't found a way yet. I still have my connections that I got from my ex back home and it is hard when i talk to them and they are still doing them...It is still very hard for me because when i think about when we use to hang out and go on runs I start missing it alot. I know I am better off without them in my system but i feel like sometimes i could just ignore everything bad in my life right now. I'm thankful to be in texas though and away from it all because I'm sure it would have brought me way down.

It's crazy though...I tried to help my ex the best i could and i should have never said ok your back is hurting from working, so its ok if you do a couple. Well a couple turned him into an addict again and even got me doing them. So I guess I wasn't much help to him at all, but it is hard to help someone if they don't accept it and really don't want to change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J's Babygirl For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-22-2010), TimedOut (08-04-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Love over Fear
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,254 Times in 755 Posts

There is a lot more dope in prison then I thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to decoprincess For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 PM
--------------

J's Babygirl. Thank you SO much for sharing lots of hugs to you. Recovering is recovering..and you have made the first step. Identifying and admitting that you have a problem. You're very right..you can't help someone who doesnt want to change. In my case... its my mother. It was a hard concept to accept...and I won't lie..it hurt...still does. But YOU, my sweet, have the desire to change. I hope and pray you find comfort within these walls..and inspiration to stay clean. thank you for sharing.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM
--------------

decoprincess. You aint kiddin! Especially in halfway houses as well. Its very sad actually.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Thanks BooBoo, what you said really means a lot to me. And I'll be praying for you and your mother.
The Following User Says Thank You to J's Babygirl For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (06-23-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
--------------

Its been a while since anyone has added any questions..or random thoughts..

I was just wondering how everyone was doing?

I am doing okay. Things are a little crazy but I'm managing.

I find myself getting even more angry with my mother. It seems like the more she cries..the madder I get. That is so wrong of me. She ended up back in the hospital the other day because she wanted help, yet didnt tell them she was suicidal.. I had to be the one to do it. Funny thing is...a couple hours after that they released her. Crazy right?

How do you all control the anger towards the person with the addiction?

I know its like a disease, but at the same time...I can't help my emotions...

Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,602 Times in 5,648 Posts

Hey BooBoo great thread!
When you started this i had relapsed...mmm...i think it was around the 26th of May...then got sober again June 2nd. It was devastating after being sober 14 months, but thank God i made the choice to stop. Life drunk and high is horrible.
Anyaway, im gonna get back to this thread...i just found it and its late and i need to go to sleep...
Thanks!
xo!
Dana
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
irishcanuk (08-22-2010), PTO-189145 (08-02-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM

BooBoo...awesome question and not easy to answer! I've been the anchor for my Joe's support for around 7yrs now. I know what you're saying about anger...BELIEVE ME I totally get it!! My Joe's doc is meth and he was a full fledged addict (periodically a dry addict) for over 10yrs before he embraced recovery. So you can imagine the road to recovery has been very bumpy. He recently experienced a relapse after 5yrs of sobriety!!! Yeah...that was rough.

But as a support I never allow myself to develop any true anger towards him. Relapse is always a part of recovery. For me and especially for him, to control my anger is the key. An addict always carries guilt...no matter what we do or say they will carry guilt towards us. Normally they are confronted with such aggression and negative feelings that those feelings of guilt become the biggest trigger and it's brought about by the reactions of those around them.

We, as supports, cannot help but feel the negative emotions...we are after all human. But controlling those emotions not only makes it easier to communicate/deal with the addict but they also learn from us and develop a level of trust that they desperately need to find the courage to change their lives. What I mean is the addict trusts you enough to know they can come to you and that you will work with them instead of judge them. That's is HUGE for an addict!!!

In order to control my feelings of anger, frustration, etc. I simply remind myself that I cannot act like the "typical female." Because of my background in substance abuse recovery I cannot allow my feelings to come through in my actions. In other words...as I put it to Joe...I can't say "I get it" and then blow up when I darn well knew what I was getting into the first time I told him I love you.

Yeah...those are all nice words It's easy to say...easy to believe. But not so easy to practice!! If/when those feelings become too strong to control, the only thing I can do is take some time to myself...go someplace quiet, chill out, and let those emotions work their way out of my system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cindy C For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (08-02-2010), TimedOut (08-04-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,602 Times in 5,648 Posts

Lol! Now i forgot what i had to say... i'll be back...
The Following User Says Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (08-02-2010)
Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 AM

My Story is this:
My Fiance has been an alcoholic since he was 17. He is now 28. First DUI 17 years old. Then again at 21 then 22 then 24. Thats 4 DUIs under his belt. And now back in for his 5th at 28, almost 29 years old. The thing is is that I met him during his year and a half of sobriety, after he spent 2 years in prison already. So that makes him sober for aprox. 3 1/2 years. I feel like I am to blame of him going back for his 5th DUI because of my lifestyle when we met. When he told me he was an alcoholic and that his sobriety was more important to him than me, I just shook my head said I understood, and continuted on with my life. But my lifestyle was in a small college town where drinking was prevelant and I just finished school. Wed go to bars and parties and what I didnt realize then is that I was DANGLING alcohol in front of him and he never had the courage to take one sip. He told me he stopped going to AA because of some issues going on with the group, and stopped seeing his sponsor. Then one day he asked me if he could take a sip of my freinds energy drink with alcohol in it. I shrugged and said, *id ont care*. Next thing I know, we were having a drink at my apartment together. What he thought is that he could be a social drinker, because I was, and I didnt really understand what he meant by not being able to drink?? Next minute I know I come home from work and hes being ridiculous because hes drunk! Then It gets to, *I smell alcohol on your breath were you drinking!?* 3 nights in a row. DENIAL. Until I got the call where he told me he was being arrested for DUI. OMG. I was so angry, but looked back and could only blame myself for allowing it those first 2 times! And not doing anything about it the time he got drunk. Needless to say this experience has def. helped me understand his addiction, and I guess all I can say is I can do my best to never let something like this happen again, as long as hes willing to try as well. Im only afraid this will be a reoccuring thing the rest of our lives, and it devastates me to picture going through this again.

Last edited by SweetJRZPea; 07-31-2010 at 03:25 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SweetJRZPea For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (08-02-2010), TimedOut (08-04-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
--------------

Cindy C- Thanks for your response! You're right...I really shouldnt get angry..but I do..considering all the hardships have been created due to her drinking. Its not like I have a choice on whether or not to be a part of her life. Thats my mother...and I know deep down..she's still in there somewhere. I need to find an outlet to channel those emotions when they hit a high..because in reality it does no good. It sounds funny but deep breathing really does help. Sometimes on the phone..when she is talking her nonsense..instead of spitting fire..I just breathe...sometimes I feel guilty for that too...because of my lack of compassion. Pretty much..I'm grasping at any other possibility to help her! Tough love is where I'm at. Again, thank you for your story...

Spica- I look forward to your response!

SweetJRZPea- I want you to know that whether the case may be...its NOT your fault. An alcoholic is an alcoholic..and they will find it by any means neccesary. Say those "two times"..you didnt allow him to drink..I bet that if he really wanted it that bad...he would have found a way. Honey..please don't blame yourself...and in a reality its up to HIM to not let it happen again. HE is the only one accountable for his actions. Remember that. When I was a teenager...I would refill my mothers glass if she asked me too...Does that mean I am to blame for her alcoholism? Absolutely not. I'm glad to have you here..and thank you for sharing your story.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM

Hello Everyone!
I met my husband 4 years ago and I knew going into the marriage that he was a recovering drug and alcohol addict. He spent 17 years in prison because of drugs. I truly believe he was God sent into my life. He is my soul mate. 1 & ½ years ago he started drinking and shortly after he relapsed in drugs. He had it all. A family, he started his own business restoring classic cars and was doing extremely well. Once he started doing well and the word got out all his past drug buddies slowly started showing up. Once he relapsed it was a living Hell from that point until I made the heart wrenching decision to kick him out. One week later he was arrested on Friday the 13th last November 09. He did 180 days for the drug charge and he is now in the East Texas Treatment Facility. He should be released in about 60 days. I struggle daily with what to do?? He had everything but nothing was important enough to stop him from doing drugs. He is 51 years old, how much more can his body take? DO I GIVE HIM A SECOND CHANCE???
The Following User Says Thank You to rc&dn For This Useful Post:
TimedOut (08-04-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM

rc&dn...this is just my personal opinion. It appears you have deep feelings for this man so you can give him a second chance by allowing him into your heart...that does NOT mean you have to allow him into your life. At his age he's at the point where he has to learn things "the hard way." An addict first has to learn to live sober before they can truly live. This means he really should have some time where he is responsible for no one other than himself. When he gets out, you do not have to let him into your home, but you can be there as a support to him ya know?

You spoke of him being in treatment right now. Have you done anything to prepare on how to cope with him? Something like Alanon? If you haven't I highly suggest you do so. Just as the addict has to learn the skills to cope with their addiction those around them need to learn the skills to cope with the addict.

PTO is a fantastic source of support, but to really learn the skills in coping with an addict a person should seek help from those who are currently facing the same issues as you in an environment that's focused on addiction....
The Following User Says Thank You to Cindy C For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (08-02-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Boo Boo I think your post gave me an excellent opportunity to examine why does the disease of addiction cause so much anger to the loved ones yet another disease (cancer etc) does not seem to provoke the same blaming game.

First I think for me it is because I view the disease as constantly dormant in a person with addictive disorders (even when no actively engaged in abuse/use) and it is by their own actions that the flare up of the disease occurs, which causes me to lose some of my patience.

Now in dealing with anyone but a loved one, I can be very understanding of the disease model and never feel emotionally driven by the addicts choices. However when I am emotionally connected to the addict I lose that perspective or objectivity and find myself acting from the heart and not the head.

Distance is the key factor (for me)... just like a lifeguard does not make physical contact with the drowning victim, they toss them a life preserver and hold on to the other side hoping to pull them to shore. Lifeguards know it is human instinct for a drowning victim to grab onto anything (even them) and in order to get their head above the water line they will push the lifeguard under and raise their own heads up.

I try everyday to keep the perspective of the lifeguard, close and watchful to support and assist but far enough to recognize signs of distress and keep myself above water.

Anger comes not by what the addict did now it is by my choice on how I choose to involve myself in process.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
made from his rib

i can honestly say that i may be as close to an addict as can be without being titled one...i started drinking heavily this year. i started smoking cigarrettes this year as well. everytime i would have a bad day, alcohol was there to make me forget about it. for some reason i just cant drink without smoking a cigarrette because it boosts the high! so everytime i had a fight with my ex, one of my family members, or my best friend i turned to alcohol to make me forget. whenever i found myself facing a dead end, i would consult in alcohol first before i made any sound decisions! Even after my first hangover experience i still felt like i can still drink just not as much where im going to throw up. but i still do. when im feeling sick with a stomach ache or a headache i drink and smoke before going to sleep and ialways wake up feeling better! so no i dont consider myself an addict just yet but if i dont slow down i will be an alcoholic soon...everyone always say, "you always drinking, what is it tongight?" or "why you act like you cant face an obstacle without drinking first?" or "you need to slow down on the drinking because you are starting to gain weight."

if it wasn't for BooBoo and this thread, i probably wouldn't be admitting it now...the good news is i dont drink as much as i did probably because i have taken responsibilty for it and i use my "drinking" money to provide for something important or useful for me and my daughter!!

THANKS BooBoo...you are still inspiring me!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
--------------

TimedOut: I love how you put that...and you're right.. When I view another addict..or hear of another perspective on it..I'm more patient and understanding, yet when its my mother..thats when the emotions come out. The life guard analogy...I like that. a tough one to act on...but a perfect example. I really value your feedback.

ride or die: First off..thank you for sharing..and secondly..you just made a HUGE step...even if the problem is in the beginning stages...if YOU think its a problem..or could potentially be one...your making a huge step by admitting that, especially to not only YOU but everyone else within this thread. I admire that. You have made not only one, but TWO positive steps. One was admitting to yourself and other that you could potentially have a problem and the second one was..you created a possibility for the solution (using the money for other purposes like your daughter). You can overcome this, but just like I always say...you have to WANT it. Its good that your accepting it before you let it consume you (IF it came to that)
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
made from his rib

@booboo: thanks again for your inspiration...now when i drink(with someone else's money of course lol) i always think about this thread now! so i know not to take it too far!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Thanked 5,448 Times in 1,495 Posts
Default treatment rights

Great anger especially if loved one chooses no treatment to a terminal disease. Giving up and mourning involves denial, anger, barganing, acceptance. Around I went for years and years not moving just turning circles. I had to see and accept the choices of another and their right to choose no treatment for their terminal disease. I as many of you deal from one family member, loved one to another. It is sad I do not move past sad too often any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebella For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (08-10-2010)