Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Different Religions...Does it matter?
Yes 65 56.52%
No 32 27.83%
It doesn't matter...one of us will convert if we need to. 5 4.35%
I don't know...I never really thought about it. 1 0.87%
Maybe 12 10.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlinelady View Post
We are both Pentecostal. He has been in the Assembly of God Pentecostal Church and I was raised United Pentecostal. We both have the same beliefs, the same worship and prayer practices. We both have a relationship with our Heavenly Father and we do not put our faith in the "religion" but more so in the RELATIONSHIP. People can say what they want to....there is a special bond in marriages and couples that believe the same, worship the same, pray the same, and that keep their relationship with God priority over the relationship they have with each other. I have found that for the first time in my life staying within the confines of my spiritual beliefs has proven that there is strength in our relationship with each other as well as our relationship with God.
You said it sister. Amen
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanked 1,425 Times in 886 Posts

My husband and I are both atheists. I think its very important that you are both on the same page when it comes to beliefs. Trying to convert someone isnt a good idea. I could never be with a religious man, its too much of a fundamental difference.

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsCetina For This Useful Post:
tudora (01-31-2012)
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanked 3,633 Times in 2,248 Posts

Before I met my love, I would've said that it's okay to be separate religions in a relationship. And, perhaps, for others, it is okay. But, for me personally....I couldn't do it. When I met my love, he was (still is) Muslim...and I didn't really follow any belief system. When I found out he was Muslim, I asked "You don't expect me to convert do you? Because that's not gonna happen." LOL After almost two years of being with him and slowly learning about Islam, I felt that this is what Allah (SWT) had wanted me to do, and so I took my shahadah in March 2009. I told him after-the-fact, and he was completely surprised. IF for some reason things didn't work out 'tween he and I, I would not want to be with a man that is not a Muslim. For me, that is a very important aspect in my life...going to Friday prayers, doing the daily prayers, fasting during Ramadan, etc...it's a lot to expect a non-Muslim to understand and/or accept, imo. Even tho my love is gone for another 8 years, I look forward to being able to make salah (prayer) with him; and to be able to fast together and read the Qur'an together, etc. These are things that I would not really be able to do with a non-Muslim.

"Time as a measurement of love is eternal.
It extends beyond the borders of forever into the depths of infinity.
I love you this and much more."
~~M'love

Finally, happily married to m'love: 1/25/13.

Jeg lærer dansk (for et år) og norsk (for ti uger).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HesMyForever For This Useful Post:
benignneglect (09-20-2012), GeckoBrat (04-12-2011), HesMyLife01 (02-11-2011)
Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose2313 View Post
We are different religions right now. He is baptist I am pentecostal. He told me when he gets out he will come to my church and try it out and maybe convert. I personally wouldn't convert unless he showed me something that was in the bible that my church was doing wrong. He said there is only one thing he doesn't believe in that my church does and we will debate on it and then see who is going to which church. I told him it mattered that we believed different because when we have kids we wouldnt have a united front. We need to both believe the same things in order to grow. Granted we pray together and lift one another up with scripture now. Hope that helped
if he is baptist and you are pentecostal then you are both Christian. which means that you are the same religion, but different denominations.

baptists focus on baptism--that is the core of their teaching. pentecostals focus on the Holy Spirit and tongues--that is the core of their teaching. both denominations are Bible believing and practicing Christians who believe Jesus is the risen Messiah.

so you are both in the same flock...just different sections lol.

if you become baptist or he becomes pentecostal you won't be converting, simply switching denominations.

i am non-denominational but i attend a methodist church. i attend simply because i love the congregation and the Word is so strong there. it's a good church, honestly and truly. not perfect, but it's good.
AussieAngel (12-22-2012), outinaussie (10-27-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,227 Times in 608 Posts

When me and my husband first met he was catholic and i was non demoninational christian.... it was tough, my church was too loud for him and his was too boring for me. (dont mean to offend the catholic group) but im keeping it real. I need to hear the preaching of real life issues,,,, i want to understand the word,,,,, so after a while my husband decided that we had to be equally yoked so he gave his life to christ and was saved......... I became an ordained minister and we are on the same page at this point.. That doesnt mean our marriage will be perfect cuz we know the enemy is out to destroy.
You have to have the same beliefs with your partner,,, you have to agree on how to raise the children,,, you should pray together, but if you dont hvae the same teachings who do you pray too? My husband prayed to a saint, and i straight to Jesus,, i never could understand why I had to pray to a different source with the Source was right there.... So thankfully we have agreed to agree on Jesus being held of our lives.....
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

i am trying to understand the catholic way of believing, i am not sure if they are praying to the saints or to God? i have learned alot about that particular denomination of Christianity but am still confused.

hubby was catholic only by being born to catholic parents, but he didn't practice it...but what he believes now he believes is the true way. we're just straight up Christian
Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Lemon's #1

My man is Muslim and I'm a christian,and we have no problems with that.Neither one of us are trying to force our religious preferences on eachother.Truth be told I think that we both have understanding of both religions,and respect one another's opinion on any type of subject.We both love to learn.Not only that.I in my younger days had converted to Islam and I really love the structure and principles that went along with that religion.I later converted back to christianity mainly because of things that many christians would state about the religion.Keep in mind they didn't study it or even have too much of a clue about Islam,or Allah.I did and still keep that with me.I have the knowledge that I need in regards to alot of religions and I don't down play any of them.I continue to be a christian now by choice,but what ever he chooses is fine by me as long as he's not an atheist.No offense to them.To each their own.I just don't prefer to have a mate who didn't have belief in a force greater than himself.A higher power as he understands him.

Our little bundle of joy!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chynab For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (11-01-2009), tnm8 (09-28-2010)
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 PM
PlayingTheWaitingGame

We are both Christian - he had a Baptist upbringing and I was brought up Catholic. By the time we met, we were teenagers in that questioning phase and neither of us were attending church regularly and neither of us cared that we didn't share the same denomination. His family expressed disappointment in me not being Baptist, but it didn't change his feelings. It's never been something that we have let come between us. He has been exploring religious outlets during his time, which I am fine with, but it does make me wonder what the future will bring if and when he makes religious changes in his life.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM

well dustin was raised roman catholic on his mom's side and baptist on his dad's side. I was raised in a non-denomenational church. since being in prison he has began studying the rastafari lifestyle. I am an open minded person but I really don't understand it. I would love to learn about becoming a christian rastafarian, which he claims to be. its only been a month since he has studied the lifestyle and says he will teach it to me when he gets home. Either way things go whether I decide to take on the lifestyle or not we will always be apart of each others lives no matter what... I guess the lifestyle is just something you have to look into and get to know whether it is something you want to practice or not... we'll see... I just pray that God is with us through all of this and he helps both of us make the right choice

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM

True religion is to be there for the widows and the fatherless. I had a bad experience with organized religion so i dont take on titles just worship God and read the word.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM
*Raymonds*freedom*

Love dosent have a religion. n I believe that as long as a person believes in SOMETHING its all good. Who am I to judge? well, Im baptist and Ray is pagan. We laugh and joke but its always been the same. We agree to disagree and thats ok with us.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreciousLyrics For This Useful Post:
tnm8 (09-28-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Time to work on me.

My man is buddhist and I'm still exploring my spirituality. I do believe in God and Jesus. I doubted them for a long time...and ignored that I wanted to be closer to them. I'm trying to change that. Last year my man explored a lot of faiths and tried forcing them on me and it didn't work. We broke up for a year. This time around I feel we have both matured and we are both open minded. I asked him about buddhism and tried explaining how I feel about mine. I don't feel alone anymore because I know they are always with me and looking out for me. I feel a sense of calm, etc. But I don't think that people who have different beliefs will go to hell just because they don't believe in mine. I guess those are questions I should ask the missionaries.. hmm....

I also agree that it is a very personal decision in what you choose.

I watched this the other night:
http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...playlist.jhtml

Last edited by tnm8; 09-28-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesgettinout06 View Post
Catholics are taught that forgiveness is obtained via penance and are taught they have to work for grace.
No, Catholics are not taught that.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanked 5,159 Times in 2,378 Posts

I think it's easier if you are both the same Religion. Robert and I are Catholic. He learned the basics of our faith in Church and home. My training was more intense with Catholic School sine age 4 and continued all the way through college. He knows the rules but not all the reasons and not much theology. To the person above who asked if Catholics pray to saints... Not to Statues or shrines or pictures but to certain saints... Yes! I have. Also heard years of southern baptist preaching. Very different theology!
The Following User Says Thank You to only1love For This Useful Post:
Embalmer (10-12-2010)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM

My husband is Muslim. I am learning about Islam, and thinking about converting. I am torn right now, because I had certain beliefs all my life, and now I have discovered other things that I never thought of.
The Following User Says Thank You to HesMyLife01 For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (02-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
He's my Peace from God

I feel NO Matter what you believe it is easier on the relationship if each believes the same. I am Christian, Bible believing and there is a scripture that states we should not be unequally yoked. Basically don't be with a nonbeliever if you are a believer. Some religions are very different in their beliefs and that can become a source of trouble in such things as, how will the children be raised, will we celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah, where will we go to church or will we even go together......Those are things that can be major problems But couples can bond together and decide on a common religion possibly one different from what either person was and really make a wonderful life together.

With Gods direction we can get thru this !!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 AM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 956 Posts

Eric has been Muslim since he was 13, I have always been Christian. I am learning more about Islam and he is more than happy to teach me, but no I will not be converting and he has not asked me to. We have always respected each others faith and in 25 years we have never had a problem because of our beliefs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erics4ever For This Useful Post:
GeckoBrat (04-12-2011)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM

I am Muslim and have practiced Islam since I was about 16. (I'm 18 now) my friend who is in prison and I met when we were 14 and fell in love but lost touch until this past September after I found out he was locked up. Surprisingly we both had carried that love with us even without contact for 3 years! I love him dearly and can't imagine being with another man. He has asked me to be in a relationship with him "for real this time" and I have made it VERY CLEAR that without his commitment to Islam I won't be able to be with him at all. To each is own.. But having a partner share my religion is CRUCIAL for me and I won't have it any other way. He says he believes in the teachings of Islam but not sure if he wants to practice it. I'll remain by his side as a friend... But in order to go beyond that.. Yes he'd have to be Muslim as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Always Us Never Them!

I think it is very important for husband and wife to be the same religion.How can two people that supposed to be one believe in two diffrent things that suppose to bring them and their offsprings together.When i met my hubby he was incarcerated already and he had down muslim,but he wasnt practicing the religion beside not eating pork and stuff like that.I am penecostal just became that religion when we met and i was not converting to nothing other than that.Even though he was raised penecostal he still turned to islam because that was a big thing in prison for mostly the black brothers.When we were getting married he try to get the iman to married us and i was not going for it.I didnt pushed for him to convert to my religion but i did let him know that we are going to be one and we have to praised the same god in order for this marriage to work.Let god be the glory he changed his religion and i thank god for that because i know god used me as a vessel to get him back to his first loved.I am not knocking no other religion.I just think if you want your marriage to prosper you two have to be on the same wave length.Now i send him all inspirational and christian books and he is growing into a wonderful man of god.
Ipray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you,the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Ephesian 1:18-19
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM

The Lord tells us in His Word that we should not be un-evenly yoked.

my hubs and I were saved at the same time, and we have kept the Lord as center of our marriage. in 2 months we will celebrate 41 yrs together.

the Lord has been our mainstay and our glue. He has held us together when times were hard.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl1
The Lord tells us in His Word that we should not be un-evenly yoked.

my hubs and I were saved at the same time, and we have kept the Lord as center of our marriage. in 2 months we will celebrate 41 yrs together.

the Lord has been our mainstay and our glue. He has held us together when times were hard.
Congratulations on 41 years! The both of you are truly blessed.

My man is Muslim, I however, was raised Jewish. I would say I am more spiritual then anything, and don't really call myself one religion. I believe in God, but just don't really know what I am. If my man ever asked me to convert, I would without a doubt.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Different Religions....does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzkmm View Post
Ladies: I thought long and hard before I decided to post this. But I'm curious. My guy & I are two different religions, both Christians but still different, but now that he is giving himself to God more I often wonder how that will affect us when he gets out. He is Baptist. I am Catholic.

So here are my questions:
Are you both the same religion or different?

If you are different religions:
Do you ever wonder how that will affect you both when he gets out?
Would you convert?
Would he?
We are given many choices to choose from in religions and spirituality, and for some who are non believers, we have many religions to choose from through our free will and choice, different religions and followings are for us to feel comfortable with to what we believe feels right for u if one doesnt suit how we really feel then we can try another to follow its all about having the right to believe in what you wish to, and what you feel comfortable with, we can change our beliefs whenever we want to, some are very staunch with their religions and beleive their religion is only the right one, and others have the same believes about what they choose to follow and believe in.
You can be two different religions in a r/ship or marriage as long as you respect the beliefs of your partner and dont make or compare each religion as being right or wrong.

No one has the right to judge what you believe in , regarding your religious prefences every religion has a purpose for the person who chooses to follow what they feel is right for them at the time with that following there are some who have been brought up very religious and have been made to only follow that religion,there are some who are abused by religious freaks bullied,and scared into believing they will be punished by God if they dont do this or that, which is nonesense, and then there are those individuals that will start to feel different about the religion they were made to believe was the only right one for them to believe in and follow but dont really feel comfortable with alot of man made rules of that religion and followings are teaching jor forcing on us to believe.

Your feelings tell you the truth of what you feel comfortable and not comfortable with, as children we may not have a choice, but as adults we do and we have the right to choose what following feels right and comfortable for our highest of good.

As we go through life we may discover we want to experience something different with another following that we may fit into and feel more comfortable with, especially if we have been brainwashed by another usually parents,to believing it is a sin not to follow what they believe in or have followed in their past, so some of us can go through life not really feeling like we are living to our true selves with that belief and would like to discover perhaps a different following that we do feel like we fit into or more comfortable with that is more to our way of thinking and truth.

God gave us many religions to choose from because he knew we as individuals are all different and have a right to use our free will and choice as we please,when it comes to what we wish to believe in without having to feel guilty or having to answer to another for our beliefs and what we wish to follow.
God doesnt judge us with what we wish to follow while we are here on this earth plane, because he knows each following has a lesson to show and teach us just as non believers will have their own experiences which will bring them to wonder about things.
As long as we are loving, kind, compassionate and help those who are less fortunate than others while we are here on this earth plane, good deeds are rewarded to us in his Kingdom of the spirit world so at the end of the day regardless of what you choose to believe in or not believe in it doesnt matter as long as we are doing good towards others, our mother earth our animal and sea kingdom.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

I'm not even sure what religion my guy is.....I'm Catholic. But my answer would be, if he is a different religion than I, no I would not convert to his nor would I ask him to convert to mine. And no it would not cause an issue. We can both be our own religion, our own person, with our own thoughts and beliefs and still have an amazing relationship with God and with each other.

Sent from Nikkol's iPad using PrisonTalk
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_A View Post
I 100% agree with you on that. This is an issue for me.

I, myself, am in a Pentecostal church, while he is Muslim. Religion...wait, let me rephrase that....a RELATIONSHIP with God was never an interest to him prior to his incarceration. Isn't that how it always seems to go in most cases? But, hey, if incarceration is what it takes for God to FINALLY get your attention, then I'm all for it. The true test of an inmates faith/relationship will come when those doors open and he is back out in society. Will he continue to build that relationship, or will he turn loose of his relationship with God and backslide?

Since his incarceration, my Hadi first "tried" Christianity, didn't agree with certain gospels, thought the Bible was contradictory(I don't agree), and chose Islam. A HUGE deciding factor is that Hadi was born into the Muslim faith.(he just never paid it no mind, until now) His father is Muslim, as well as many other family members.

So, because of his choice, and mine....we don't believe the same, worship the same, pray the same. I don't like that. I want us to come together in agreement and do all of those things....TOGETHER. The Bible says...how can two come together unless they agree.
I do not want to be unequally yolked and in constant disagreement with my mate. Especially when I don't have to be. There are enough issues to deal with in a relationship and the way I wan't to battle those issues is in our SHARED faith.

So....I am at a crossroads. I am letting go and letting God.

I have to say that our different faiths was an issue for me up until the very end. And because of that, I won't ever be with someone whose faith isn't the same as mine ever again.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM

My Man and I both follow our traditional Native beliefs in the community we live in, we go to sweats and fasts and ceremonies together (except the ones that are male or female only), we do the social side too going to powwows and round dances, drum group (he and my boy drum, us gals cook and sew). I think we are string cuz we are strong together in our beliefs and values.

When I was younger I was in a relationship with a guy from another religion. At first it was all good....till we had a kid....then we had very different ideas of how things should be. And so I got with a Native guy, but he didn't practice the beliefs, add children to the mix and there was differences and it came down to spirituality. And so I think not just sharing the same beliefs but practicing the same beliefs is important, whatever your faith, it's gonna be the backbone of your family, the strength in your relationship. Yep it's important. And when you add in the strains of being seperated with one in jail or prison faith is gonna be important