Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Closed

Just wear something Loose fitting, ( Maybe a Long Skirt that's NOT TIGHT), No perfume, No make up (if you can ), And Have a scarf with ya even if your head isn't covered. They'll show you how to properly cover your head.
Good Luck and Alhamdulilah. One Step closer!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Missing my Baby

Thank you very much.
I just have to work up the nerve now to do this.
I wish I had someone to take that step with me.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Closed

Well Tobey's you tell us what happened. inshallah (God willing) you'll have lots to talk about!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Islamic Misconceptions

Misconception: Islam oppresses women.

The image of the typical Muslim woman wearing the veil and forced to stay home and forbidden to drive is all too common in most peoples’ thoughts. Although some Muslim countries may have laws that oppress women, this should not be seen as coming from Islam. Many of these countries do not rule by any true Shari'ah(Islamic law), and instead introduce their own cultural standpoints on the issue of gender equity.

Islam gives men and women different roles, and equity between the two is laid down in the Qur’an and the example of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings. A marriage gift is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband's. Both men and women are expected to dress in a way which is modest and dignified.
“The Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said: "The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his wife."”

Violence of any kind towards women and forcing them against their will for anything is not allowed. A Muslim marriage is a simple, legal agreement in which either partner is free to include conditions. Marriage customs thus vary widely from country to country. Divorce is not common, although it is acceptable as a last resort. According to Islamic teachings, a Muslim girl cannot be forced to marry against her will.

I deviate from docility...
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 AM

Do yall think that a marriage between a Christian woman and a Muslim man can last? I'm Christian and my man is Muslim and we want to get married he wants to do it Islamically but I want to get married by the JOTP so that it will be recongnized by the law of the land. He's sooo on his deen and I've been studying so that I can understand where he's coming from. Can I have some suggestions or thoughts?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Closed

Well it was recorded in a hadith (I will find it for you) "a Muslim man CAN marry a Christian woman if there are no other suitable believing women for him" However it is better for him and the future of his family if she is a Pious Believing Muslim woman"

The words that I say that are correct are of allah (SWT) and those that aren't are of my own accord. May allah forgive me for my mistakes Amin.

I don't have too much advice as I too was christian when my NOW husband was my THEN Fiance. However Alhamdulilah Allah (Subhana Wa Ta 'Ala) opened my eyes to Islam and Alhamdulilah he and I got married with me a new (and still new) believing woman.
I know that many of the issues (or topics) that we discussed was about the life of our children and their future, the functioning of our marriage when it comes to holidays and even the basics of food, dress, and modesty. B/c in this day and age many "Christian men and women" Say they're christian but act other than that. AS with so called "muslims". So it's really hard to know what is best for you and him. I know that in Islam there are many long term benefits of a having a pious god fearing muslim wife and having a muslim family. However maybe some one else in here can give you more advice I wish you all the best and Inshallah (god willing) you'll be opened up to the light and love Allah for his sake alone!
Assalamu alaikum and may allah guide you. Amin
Old 02-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Smile

Thanks for the response
Old 02-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Closed

No problem. I surely hope that things work out and feel free to ask any and all questions here to give you a better understanding of islam. Also look at some past posts for some sites. Another good site is
muslimconverts.com
Old 02-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Red face

Hello Ladies of the Islam Connection, I wanted to stop in and say hello to you all and tell you that I love you, and that my heart is with you all. :love:
Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Closed

Thanks Heso,
I'm not sure where everyone else is (maybe Prisonville) but I'm here thanks for your kind words
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvee1014
Thanks Heso,
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvee1014
I'm not sure where everyone else is (maybe Prisonville) but I'm here thanks for your kind words

I don't know either, I know One_Luv begged for this Islam Connection spot, and then when they gave it to her I'm not sure if she's even come in once. I'm not muslim but I supported her wish, and, I'll stop in here once in a while to support you ladies too! The show goes on so whoever stops in, GOOD, and whovever doesn't, THAT'S ALL GOOD TOO!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Banned

Red face

Good day Ladies, can someone explain something to me -- what does that quarter moon with the star beside it symbolize. I heard something about that that I will not repeat because it will cause rukkas, therefore I am asking you all -- what does that moon ORIGINALLY symbolize, and while you're at it, what does that star beside it mean too? Thank you, and have a blessed day for God loves you all.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Closed

The crescent moon and star originally symbolized the moon phase and venus which was prominent in the sky after an important battle was won. It did not come to symbolize Islam until Constantinople (Istanbul) became head of the Ottoman empire. I cant recall the name of the battle or the year Constantinople fell, but off the top of my head that is how it came into Islam.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Smile

Thank you yzz -- it isn't, somewhere along time and as far as you or any of the other sisters know, symbolic to Allah.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Closed

I don't think so Heso- but I won't freestyle but what YZZ said it correct about how it became to be KNOWN as the symbole for islam. Here's a link to a short article about the battle and the ottoman empire.

http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa060401a.htm

Here's another. It was a post asked on a Forum from islamonline.net

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544398
Old 03-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Closed

Default Good Article

Strenght, community, belonging.

Quote:
More U.S. Blacks Following "Sunni" Islam
By Ramit Plushnick-Masti

Allahu Akbar, the Muslim call for prayer, rings out on a recent Friday, and a group of black men and women gather to celebrate the Islamic day of rest.

The wooden house in Pittsburgh's rundown Homewood neighborhood looks like any other on the block. But the sign at the door, Masjid Mumin, and the rows of shoes lined up inside on gray, plastic shelves hint of the brand of Sunni Islam its members practice.

The mosque is one of seven in Pittsburgh, home to a vibrant community of about 8,000 to 10,000 Sunni Muslims — some 30 percent of them black.

Following what appears to be a trend in cities nationwide, religious leaders in Pittsburgh say there has been a rise in black conversions to Sunni Islam since the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

No national surveys have been taken to confirm the increase, but Islamic religious leaders in Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit have also reported growth, said Lawrence Mamiya, a professor of religion and Africana studies at New York's Vassar College. Experts estimate that 30 percent of the 6 to 7 million Muslims in the U.S. are black, with only South Asians making up a larger number at 33 percent.

The Sept. 11 attacks have “cut both ways, positively and negatively,” Mamiya said.

Richard Turner, coordinator of the African-American studies program and an expert on Islam among blacks at the University of Iowa, said since Sept. 11, Muslims have been attempting to “disseminate positive information about the religion, so the obvious outcome of that would be more conversions.”

Sunni Islam is the world's most prominent branch of Islam. The Nation of Islam and the Moorish Science Temple, other Muslim groups that attract many blacks, believe in prophets after Muhammad, making them anathema to Sunni Islam.

Rashad Byrdsong, an elder in Pittsburgh's black Muslim community, hopes the rise in interest in Sunni Islam will help the Mumin Mosque collect money to expand their small house of worship into a larger community gathering place.

The new mosque, still in the planning stages, will look more like a community center than a traditional minaret-topped Muslim place of worship found in the Arab world.

The expanded Homewood mosque will have a daycare facility, a re-entry program for released inmates, a health clinic and a program for entrepreneurs, features that are in great need in the downtrodden neighborhood.

“First, the spiritual aspects, the dawa, but also basic, physical, fundamental needs,” Byrdsong said.

In the fourth year of its seven-year expansion plan, Pittsburgh's tight-knit Muslim community has raised much of the $1.5 million needed in the project's first phase through book sales, telephone fund- raisers, auctions and banquets. It has purchased all but two lots it will need, and already has the sketches for the future mosque complex.

“Building the mosque has always been a goal, idea, vision,” said Yusef Ali, 63, emir of the Mumin Mosque. “But as a community grows ... it's (become) a solid goal with strategic objectives.”

A growing number of Muslims in America, especially blacks, are building mosques that offer a variety of community services, partly because the federal and state governments do not answer to many of their social needs, Islamic experts say.

These complexes take the religion back to its roots before the modern-day state began providing services to the population.

“What you have here is the creation of a true American Islam,” said Edward Curtis, a religious studies professor who specializes in African-American Islam at IUPUI. “Islam has been a part of this country from its beginning, and the forms of Islam that are successful here are indigenous forms.”

The Homewood mosque, though unique, follows a model similar to other black mosques in the United States, Mamiya said.

In Harlem, the Malcolm Shabazz Mosque has built apartment buildings and townhouses, offers social services and even owns a sanitation company used to provide jobs to former prisoners, Mamiya said.

“The African-American mosque has made itself different in this way from other mosques around the world,” Mamiya said. “Religious institutions in the black community have always been their strongest institutions and have always done more than religious functions.”

Pittsburgh, like some other cities on the East Coast and Midwest, has long been a magnet for black Muslims, beginning in the early 20th century, when more than 1 million blacks moved from the South to the North.

Pittsburgh, then a prosperous steel town, attracted thousands of blacks seeking work, and became one of several cities where Sunni Islam took hold. Today, black Muslims here brag that in 1932 Pittsburgh became home to the first chartered Muslim mosque in the United States.

Byrdsong, executive director of the Community Empowerment Association, was attracted to Islam while serving a 10-year prison sentence for robbery. He said the religion appeals to many, including those in prison, because of strict rules banning alcohol and drugs and its success at keeping people from deteriorating into a life of crime.

Pittsburgh is home not only to black Muslims, but also a broad community of immigrants who practice the religion. However, until Sept. 11, the two communities were largely isolated.

After the attacks, immigrants — subject to FBI surveillance, police raids and other scrutiny — began to reach out to black Muslims in Pittsburgh, whose persecution they could suddenly relate to, said Sarah Jameela Martin, 64, an active member of the city's black Muslim community.

“It really was a time for us to come together,” Martin said.

But Sept. 11 also put an end to any hopes the black Muslim community had to collect money for their mosque project from Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries overseas, because new U.S. laws put Islamic charities under greater scrutiny.

Now, as immigrant and black Muslims in Pittsburgh try to improve the religion's image and separate it from global terrorism, blacks are paving the way, Martin said.

Black women, for example, have long worn the traditional head-covering, or hijab, to work, while immigrants have been reluctant to do so, she said. Today, Muslims in Pittsburgh are far more visible, she said.

“Because of our social tag ... we didn't mind,” Byrdsong said, pointing to his dark skin as an explanation to why being openly Muslim has never been a problem for blacks in America. “We can't hide it.”
Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Closed

NYT
Quote:
11 Jail Guards Are Indicted in 2 Beatings in Brooklyn

Eleven federal jail guards, including a captain and three lieutenants, were charged yesterday with beating two inmates at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, one so badly, officials said, that a pool of his blood and bits of his hair lay on the floor of his cell when it was over.

The guards were also charged with covering up the beatings by filing false reports that blamed the inmates for having instigated the attacks. Eight of them pleaded not guilty yesterday at arraignments in Federal District Court in Brooklyn and were released on bail. The three others are expected to be arraigned in federal court within days.

The attacks do not appear to be directly connected and occurred almost four years apart, court papers showed, the first in November 2002, the second a year ago.

Three of the jail guards charged yesterday, Capt. Salvatore LoPresti, Lt. Elizabeth Torres and Officer Scott Rosebery, are also accused of abuse in a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of Muslim inmates who claim they were mistreated at the federal detention center after they were arrested in roundups following the Sept. 11 attacks.

The first assault in yesterday’s indictment took place on Nov. 13, 2002, court papers said, when Captain LoPresti was making rounds of the jail’s high-security special housing unit and ordered an inmate to remove a T-shirt he had wrapped around his head.

When the inmate refused, Captain LoPresti felt “disrespected” and returned with other guards to kick and punch the man so fiercely that “a pool of blood and clumps of the inmate’s dreadlocks” were left on the floor, the court documents said.

To cover up the beating, prosecutors said, Captain LoPresti and at least two others, Lt. Kelly Tassio and Officer Rosebery, took a sheet from the inmate’s bed and draped it from the window bars to make it seem as if the inmate had tried to hang himself. Two more guards, Officer Alfred Santana and Officer Steven Peterson, joined them in later submitting false reports claiming the inmate became enraged when they stopped him from committing suicide, prosecutors said.

Last June, during an investigation into the attacks, Lieutenant Tassio told federal agents that she had indeed written a false report on Captain LoPresti’s orders, prosecutors said. Five days later, however, she recanted, the government said, and insisted the report was accurate.

The second attack occurred on April 11, 2006, court papers said, when a fight broke out between an unnamed jail guard and a second inmate, who, like the first, was identified by prosecutors only as John Doe. Officer Rosebery stopped the fight, court papers said, then beat the inmate in his cell as Lieutenant Torres looked on, taunting from the hallway.

The guards then hauled the inmate to an elevator, the papers said, to take him to the special housing unit. In the elevator, they tripped the inmate and one guard, Officer Glen Cummings, “repeatedly stomped” him as he lay on the floor, court papers said, and Lieutenant Torres stood lookout in the hallway while the elevator door was open.

The beating in the elevator was caught by a surveillance camera, officials said. In this instance, the guards filed false reports claiming the inmate became “combative” on the way to the special housing unit, court papers said.

The Metropolitan Detention Center, near Gowanus Bay in Sunset Park, has housed some of Brooklyn’s most violent and troublesome federal inmates, from Bonanno family gangsters to Islamic terrorists.

But in recent years, it has come under scrutiny for its treatment of inmates, particularly those swept up after 9/11 as part of terror investigations.

In April 2002, the Center for Constitutional Rights, a nonprofit legal and educational group, filed a lawsuit, Turkmen v. Ashcroft, charging that at least five Arab and South Asian inmates at the jail had been subjected to abuse, including being kept in solitary confinement with the lights on 24 hours a day. Captain LoPresti, Lieutenant Torres and Officer Rosebery are defendants in the suit, as well as in a companion suit called El Magrabi v. Ashcroft.

In 2003, the inspector general for the United States Department of Justice issued two reports describing a pattern of mistreatment of detainees, and cited evidence that included videotapes of officers shoving unresisting, shackled detainees into walls and mocking them during body cavity searches. Turkmen v. Ashcroft accuses Officer Rosebery of repeatedly stepping on an inmate’s shackle chains in the elevator, and Lieutenant Torres is accused of forcing another to strip in front of her. While the suit does not accuse Captain LoPresti — one of the highest-ranking officers at the jail — of any specific act, it says he allowed an atmosphere of abuse to exist. The suit is now before the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan.

“These names aren’t new to us,” said Rachel Meeropol, a lawyer for the Center for Constitutional Rights. “We are pleased that officials are finally being held accountable for a pattern of systematic physical and verbal abuse at the M.D.C.”

Captain LoPresti’s lawyer, Zachary Margulis-Ohnuma, declined to comment on the charges yesterday. The captain was also charged in the indictment with writing official letters to help guards at the jail obtain weapons for use off duty, in violation of federal Bureau of Prisons regulations.

The other guards charged in the indictment are Lt. Frank Maldonado and Officers Jaques Lamour, Jamie Toro and Angel Perez.

Last edited by yzz aka Flygirlaa alias; 04-13-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Closed

Thanks YZZ-
So sad! :shake: so sad! :shake: I know one thing the FIRE IT HOT And BOYYYYY they'll be fuel if they don't Repent!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 AM
jokers wild

assalamu Alikum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh

my Fiance And I Just Converted Over To The Muslim Faith. This Is All New To. I Am Really Glad That I Found This Thread. I Am Still New And Need Help On Different Things. I Really Do Hope That Someone Reads This And Help Me.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
HIZ WIFE

Default Introduction To Islam

Tawhid

1) Verily, Allaah has created the world and everything in it in order to worship Him alone. He sent the Messenger to call the people to Tawheed and the Noble Qur'aan is concerned with the aqeedah of tawheed in most of its chapters, and it explains the harm of shirk for the individual and the society. Shirk is the reason for destruction in this life and the reason for eternal destruction in the Fire of the Hereafter.
2) Verily, all the Messengers began their call with Tawheed, which they were commanded by Allaah to convey it to the people. He, the Most High, said:

We have not sent before you from the Messengers, except We inspired to him that He is the only One worthy of worship, so worship Him. [21:25]

The Messenger of Allaah stayed in Makkah for thirteen years while he called his people to the Tawheed of Allaah and he called to Him alone without associating anything with Him. It was regarding this issue that Allaah revealed the following verse to His Noble Messenger:

Say: Verily I call to my Lord and I do not ascribe any partners to Him at all. [72:20]

The Noble Messenger brought up his followers upon Tawheed from the time of childhood and he said to the son of his uncle, his cousin 'Abdullaah ibn 'Abbaas: "When you ask, then ask Allaah, and when you seek help, then seek help from Allaah." [Hasan Saheeh, Tirmidhi]. This Tawheed is in reality the religion of Islaam, which is built upon it, and anything other than it is not accepted by Allaah.
3) Verily, the Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) taught his Companions to begin their call to the people with tawheed, so he said to Mu'aadh ibn Jabal, when he (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) sent him to Yemen: "So let the first thing you call them to, be the testification that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah." And in another narration: "...that they worship Allaah alone." [Bukhari and Muslim]
4) Tawheed is embodied in the testification that "None has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah." Its meaning is that there is no one who is worthy of deserving worship except Allaah, and there is no worship except that which the Messenger of Allaah came with. Iris this testification which allows a unbeliever to enter into Islaam, since it is the key to Paradise, and the one who testifies to it and believes it enters into Paradise as long as he does not invalidate it by shirk or a word of disbelief.
5) The disbelieving Quraish offered the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) kingship, wealth and wives and other than that from the pleasures of this life in exchange for him abandon the call to tawheed, and abaudon the attacks against the idols. However, he did not desire that from them, rather lie continued his call and endured the onslaught along with his Companions, until the call to tawliced was victorious after thirteen years, after which Makkah was conquered and the idols were destroyed. The Messenger of Allaah # recited
Truth has come and falsehood has vanished, surely falsehood is ever bound to vanish. [17:81]
6) Tawheed is the preoccupation of a Muslim in his life, so he begins his life with Tawheed and he ends his life with Tawheed. Ilis task in life is to establish Tawheed and the call to Tawheed, since Tawheed unifies the believers and gathers them upon the statement of Tawheed. So we ask Allaah to make the statement of Tawheed (Laa ilaaha lila Allaah) our last words in this world and we ask Him to gather the Muslims upon the statement of Tawheed.
"Love is as much of an object as an obsession, everybody wants it, everybody seeks it, but few ever achieve it, those who do, will cherish it, be lost in it, and among all, will never...never forget it.” ♥

Last edited by ZAWJAHTUL-SEKOU; 05-10-2007 at 09:17 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to HIZALLWAYZ For This Useful Post:
Sheyanne (07-03-2010)
Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Moma 30
assalamu Alikum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh

my Fiance And I Just Converted Over To The Muslim Faith. This Is All New To. I Am Really Glad That I Found This Thread. I Am Still New And Need Help On Different Things. I Really Do Hope That Someone Reads This And Help Me.
Walaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatuhi Wa Baraaktuh,
Alhamdulilah you and your loved one has converted to the beautiful way of like of Islam. May allah guide you and increase your knowledge in this deen.
I would read what ZAWJAHTUL-SEKOU wrote about tawheed and I would check out some of the previous posts for some sites and material that can help you get started on learning your deen. My recommendation would and could be to go to the local masjid if your husband approves and meet some muslim sisters and join in on the sisterhood of your community. I would also check out some sites about Taking your shahada, 5 pillars of islam and many important parts of islam such as Tawhid (mentioned above). Also please know WHY You've join Islam. It should be for yourself and noone else. Inshallah (god willing ) you'll find a lot here and in your own community. assalamu alaikum
Sister Na'ilah

ZAWJAHTUL-SEKOU- Good post on Tawhid Sukran Jazakallah Khariun

Sugar moma-Sukran= Thank you,
Jazakallah Khariun= May allah reward you!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Closed

Default Interesting article to send to your loved one inside....

1421: The Year a Chinese Muslim Discovered America
7/3/2005 - Education - Article Ref: IC0301-1843
Number of comments: 71
By: IslamiCity
IslamiCity* -

The British submarine engineer and historian Gavin Menzies gave an astounding seminar on March 15, 2002 to the Royal Geographical Society in London, with evidence to support his theory that Zheng He, a Chinese Muslim navigator in the Ming dynasty, beat Columbus by more than 70 years in discovering America.

Using evidence from maps drawn dated before Columbus' trip that clearly showed America, and astronomical maps traced back to Zheng He's time, Menzies is confident that the Zheng He should be honored as the first discoverer of America.

Menzies's conclusion is based on 14 years of research that includes secret maps, evidence of artifacts, and apparent proof of the voyage provided by the modern astronomy software program Starry Night.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0301-1843

Last edited by yzz aka Flygirlaa alias; 06-18-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM

salaams everyone! i didn't know this section existed, pretty cool!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Only He Has The Key
Donation Award 

As-Salaamu Alaikum

just thought i would stop by an say hello

Old 07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Closed

Walaikum Assalam Wa Rahmutallahi wa Baraaktuh,

Welcome Sister!

-Sister Na'ilah