Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty2006
Very enlightened posts.
My uncle is a muslim, as One love states, there are TWO different types of Muslims the Black Muslims and the ORTHODOX muslims. I don't put down either of them because I can tell you where I come from Oakland, CA., they've done so much for our community and I would rather see these youngsters in the NOI instead of laying in the middle of the street with a bullet in their body. I don't agree with some of the teachings of the NOI but I will not say anything negative about them because they've saved a lot of youngsters from drugs and violence.
Also I believe once Malcolm received spritual guidance from the wholly land of Mecca, he started his own chapters and was assinated, so correct if
I'm wrong but there are two different sets of black muslims now? Some continued Malcolms teachings and branched off from Elijah Muhhamonds?
QUOTE=one_luv]Your post is not all correct. I did not state that there are only 2 different types. There are over 150 sects (not sets) of Islam. Blacks can belong to any sect, and there are more than just 2. You are likely thinking of the 5 percenters, who split from the NOI, and claim to follow the teachings of Malcolm and NOI. The 5 percenters are more of a social movement (some would call it a cult) than a religion and many consider their beliefs blasphemy.

It is disturbing that so many people base their knowledge of Islam on these sects. This is not what Islam is all about.

There is not a sect called Orthodox, it an adjective used with many religions that means "traditional religious views". Orthodox is to the extreme and the two orthodox sects- sunnis and sh'iates are found in Iraq and Iran. There are million of muslims who belong to other sects, life suffism and bahaiism, that do not have the same views and teachings as the Orthodox.

At least, that is what I have found in my research, but since I am not a Muslim, others who are know more than me. It is unfortunate that there is so misinformation in the US about Islam.
[/quote]

Last edited by one_luv; 10-04-2005 at 08:53 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Ok, thanks for clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_luv
QUOTE=one_luv]Your post is not all correct. I did not state that there are only 2 different types. There are over 150 sects (not sets) of Islam. Blacks can belong to any sect, and there are more than just 2. You are likely thinking of the 5 percenters, who split from the NOI, and claim to follow the teachings of Malcolm and NOI. The 5 percenters are more of a social movement (some would call it a cult) than a religion and many consider their beliefs blasphemy.

It is disturbing that so many people base their knowledge of Islam on these sects. This is not what Islam is all about.

There is not a sect called Orthodox, it an adjective used with many religions that means "traditional religious views". Orthodox is to the extreme and the two orthodox sects- sunnis and sh'iates are found in Iraq and Iran. There are million of muslims who belong to other sects, life suffism and bahaiism, that do not have the same views and teachings as the Orthodox.

At least, that is what I have found in my research, but since I am not a Muslim, others who are know more than me. It is unfortunate that there is so misinformation in the US about Islam.
[/quote]
Old 10-19-2005, 12:15 AM
My whole life has changed

Lightbulb Islam 5%

My man is a 5%er in Texas also He follows the science of Islam but is very knowledgeable about all faiths especially Christian and Islam Because we were raised as Baptist-Christians and He has been following the Islamic faith for the past 10 years.(since his incarceration) We both study from Quran and Bible. He just asks me to be open and that I allow him to build with me, opening my eyes to the truth.
He says that understanding him and his beliefs are neccesary but does not say that I have to convert. We read together. I dont have any problems with his beliefs, they have good principals. But what you need to know is they strongly believe in the man being the head of the family, but so does traditional Baptist so I am used to that.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Pushin' threw it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnticipate
ONLY COMMENTING...but I have heard that a lot of like rapists and child molesters try to say they are muslims in prison for the protection. Muslims are the one group that wont treat them bad, beat them up for their crime....
WHAT??? ...I know this may be your comment or opinion but don't classifly a group or religion by hear say...that sh$t ain't cool!X6...I don't think Muslims tolerate anyone with a foul jacket of a rapist or child molester...you out of line for that one...especially for assmuming!X6

And to anwser the post...yeah my man has muslim traits and all & alot of the CO's use to think he was classified as one...he respects their get down & program in the prison system...but he's not a muslim

Last edited by Sinphany; 08-29-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

Yep Soldado is Muslim...and so am I....RAMADAN MUBAREK to all who are Muslim and Observering Ramadan 2007...Is it time to eat yet?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

ok i have a question. who has determined that nation of islam is not true islam? when did that come about?

and ladyanticipate, what you heard is common practice around here, however, i don't think that it applies to only sex offenders are other violent offenders...anyone needing protection who becomes muslim will be afforded it...at least for the prison stay.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 AM
I am IN need of some Him
Donation Award 

My dearheart is Sunni Muslim. I am grateful for all the responses in this thread. I am awaiting a response to his letter about me converting. I to am so grateful for Islam for my dear has truly grown thoughtout his journey however for me I am not sure right now. One of his wants is to have a Muslim wife (me) and So we shall see whats good.

He is home. Countdown to June 9th Wedding Date
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschris
ok i have a question. who has determined that nation of islam is not true islam? when did that come about?
Unless they have orthodized in the last few years, they do not adhere to the 5 pillars of Islam. They do not say their shahada, make hajj, or say their 5 daily prayers.

I know in prison, Muslims and NOI do not worship, eat or learn together. The last two years where my habibi is, there was talk of allowing NOI to breaking fast during Ramadan with Muslims. But it didnt come to fruition.

I know there has been some movement recently and they are allowed to make hajj when they use not to.

Last edited by WazirsWifey; 10-29-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM
HE IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband is Muslim, I don't eat pork either, but, I respect that what he believes in, and he dosen't force his religion on me. I don't have a specific one, but, we will see what happens later. I do know this there is a GOD!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Patiently waiting...

I was raised catholic but find it just doesn't fit with my views. I have been researching Islam and am finding that it is something I want to continue to learn about.
My fiance has found himself a part of NOI now. He tried to talk to me about it during our visit. I said I would research it. Now he is black and Samoan and I am white and latina...
What threw me when visiting the NOI website and seeing some of their beliefs I am left confused.
It says very clearly they strongly prohibit interracial marriage. I also heard him use the term white devil.
I am glad he has found something that works for him I guess but I wonder where this leaves us. His fellow NOI are encouraging him to think I am the devil and he has become more suspicious I guess. He says he doesn't believe I love him but then says he is joking. I don't know.
I asked how he thinks he is going to get a pass for marrying a "white devil" and he said that since they believe men are kings and if a king marries a peasant she still becomes a queen so shall I.. and that they will accept me. WTF did he just say? That is all I can think of lately.
I have even thought about ending our relationship because of this. We have over 7 yrs invested in US but I cannot tolerate him or anyone who thinks one race is above another and sure in hell is not going to call my family white devils. What about his mixed daughter?
I wish he would find his way to "traditional" Islam that embraces all ethnicities.
Sorry this turned into a rant. I just don't know what to think right now.
LittleWing13 (07-20-2009)
Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Closed

Thumbs up

Muslims are universal, no one color or ethnic group, at least by teaching. NOI I know is pretty against things like interracial marriage, but not Islam. There are a lot of Muslim reverts in American that are of all colors, and all sizes and styles I might add.

The pork situation always seems to come up, maybe more in the South were the pig is king . There is more to the religion than giving up pork, but food is so important for family dinners and celebrations it would cut into the festivites.

I am not a Muslimah but have respect for them and like to learn about different religions.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Queen to my King

Default muslim

My King is Muslim,
I am seeking the wisdom of Islam,
I was born and raised Cathlic, but was never able to get any of the answers that I wanted like I have till now. I will eventually become a Muslim myself. I am currently Fasting

Old 09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Closed

While I am not a muslimah I have studied a little about the religion and it is not a WHITE religion, a BLACK religion or a ANY race religion, Allah is God, the same god as Abraham worshipped. I think people confuse race with it because of off-shoots like Black race muslims.

There is no requirement to abstain from white women only fornication and pork and of course alcohol. I know them don't even use perfume or vanilla for baking with alcohol in it.

I am Christian but have seen some similarities with my religion as belief in One God ( Jesus was son and prophet) and a high regard for marriage.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanked 1,256 Times in 631 Posts
Default Muslimah or not to be.

Hi. Yes my fiance is an American Muslim. I, however, am not Muslimah and I do not plan to be. I am Christian. He and I met in a pentecostal church. He has been Muslim for 15 years now though. His mom is even a minister. Go figure. In the beginning we faced a few problems because when he told me he was Muslim, having know him from childhood I'm thinking "yeah right, just a phase". The issues we have usually (of course) are religious. As long as we don't try to debate Christianity vs. Islam, we have no problems. We have come to an agreement that he is Muslim and I am Christian. I will admit, things will get tougher because right now we have no kids but we plan to have some when he comes home. In Islam, children follow their father's religion. He did ask me to wear a hijab (khimar- a head wrap, not the face) but I told him no because that would be portraying something I am not. I have given up pork. You do not have to be Muslim/Muslimah to do that. I don't even eat veggies cooked with pork. I used smoked turkey. He also likes me to be covered up so I had to donate 3 Garbage bags full of clothes. Some of the blouses were low cut, some things a little too revealing, etc. Had he not been Muslim, out of respect for now having a husband, I would have donated that stuff anyway.

In closing, I say do what you know you can do. Don't become Muslimah for his sake then be miserable later because ur thinking about eternal damnation. Stand firm in what you believe. I am here for any questions you may have though.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeswannabhiswyf For This Useful Post:
6yearsncounting (05-29-2009)
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

Yes my sweetie is Muslim he has been for about 14 years.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

I am also Muslim I convert to Islam in 2001 but it nothing to do with me. I love being Muslim and I cover and wearing hijab is not as hard for me as other aspects it is a everyday way of life.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

I cannot answer any questions about NOI but I do know about Al-Islam

Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDamu415 View Post
I have a question and please forgive me if it is really stupid or neive because I honestly do not know the answer. If you are Muslim is it tru that you cannot eat pork and you aren't allowd to date or even marry white people? I heard that and then when I was visiting I saw this man that is Muslim adn he had just married a white woman and he was eating a pork rib sandwhich. I was just curious.
Your question isn't stupid. To answer that question you need to know what set of muslims u r dealing with. There are white muslims so this statement cannot be true. In Islam the Prophet did not eat pork and it is spoken about in both the Qur'an and the Bible. However, in the New Testament it was said that we can eat anything as long as we bless it first...in so many words. Now in Islam, if a man and his family were starving and they had nothing to eat, it is then permissable to eat pork if that is all they r offered. Otherwise, they are not to eat pork.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDamu415 View Post
I have a question and please forgive me if it is really stupid or neive because I honestly do not know the answer. If you are Muslim is it tru that you cannot eat pork and you aren't allowd to date or even marry white people? I heard that and then when I was visiting I saw this man that is Muslim adn he had just married a white woman and he was eating a pork rib sandwhich. I was just curious.
Eating pork is haraam because Allah has made it prohibted. As for marry a white person there is nothing in Islam that says we cannot marry people of other ethnic backgrounds.In the eyes of Allah we are the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Superwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2this05 View Post
My Husband Is A Muslim I Guess He Has An Open Mind For All. He Talks About It Ever So Often Even Has A Muslin Name In Prison He Goes By He Doesn't Eat Pork I Do I Read Somethings About Muslims Something About They Can Beat Thier Womens They Are Beneath Them All Kind Of Crazy Stuff. I Don't Agree And He Doesn't Force Me Too...
We are equal but yes men have been more physical strength then women in order to defend and protect the home and to provide for his family.As far as Muslim men beating their women that is not condoned by Islam and there is no complusion in any religion so if it is not in your heart to become Muslim then don't but if anyone husband treats them wrongly and they say they are Muslim the ill treatment is not a condition of Islam and is not something a Muslim man is prescribed to do.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Queen to my King

Default islam

well said,
superwomen, katewa and jeswanna,
its a way of life not a black or white thang a pork thang nor do it because some one ask u or forced u to convert, my King converted 10 years ago I have not yet converted, because I am still seeking the wisdom and knowledge Islam is beautiful, It is the way of Life,

Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Closed

Thumbs up

He's not But i am , i have been one since was born he messes with me sometimes like when i came to visit last Saturday when i was fasting he told me to break it so he could get a kiss in th mouth! lol
Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Account Closed

Default Sometimes Yes Sometimes No

SOMETIMES MY INTENEDED IS TREATED BA SOMETIMES THEY ARE EXTRA NICE HE TOLD ME LAST VISIT THAT HE FEEL LIKE THE PEOPLE IN SURAH 18 THE CAVE DWELLERS
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Account Closed

Lol Sister If You Are Muslim Not Supposed To Eat Pork And Allah Doesnt Care What Race You Are My Best Friend Is Muslim And She Is White As A Napkin Lol I Love Her To Death And Get This Rapists And Child Molestors Get It Whether They Are Muslim Or Not Trust My Hubby Did 3 Months In The Whole For Getting At A Rapist We Do Believe Rape Is One Of The Worst Crimes We Cover Ourselves And Children To Keep Down Molestation
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Superwoman View Post
As far as Muslim men beating their women that is not condoned by Islam and there is no complusion in any religion...
Muslims are permitted to give their wives a mild beating. So says the Qur'an. You may not like the way it sounds or is interpreted but the Qur'an says that. Now according to the Muslim books i've read they explain that the husband is not to leave a bruise and is only to do this in extreme circumstances. As for me and my household, homie don't play that! L would never hit me AT ALL. We r staight on that. Keep reading. Be sure it is what your heart believes. You are accountable for your own soul.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeswannabhiswyf For This Useful Post:
outinaussie (12-03-2008)