Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 AM
classy and crazy

Talking Is Your Snookums A Muslim?

I saw the post about giving up pork and I was actually wondering this a few days ago... How many of you have a Muslim inmate?

Have you faced any problems with it at all?

David said that the three other Muslims in the jail (He hasn't been transported yet, or even sentenced) are treated unfairly. They try to pray in the same area's as other religious people do, and are forced out.

Are YOU a Muslim?
If not, does this bring up issues between you?
Has he asked you to anything "Different" and are/have you done it?

I have so many questions for you if you are! Cus I AM TOO! lol! Guidance is a wonderful thing!

Oh, in case anyone wonders, yes I am a Muslim, but a very new Muslim.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM

My now ex is a Muslim and he did not tell me until way far into our relationship. He knew from the jump that I was a christian. Now I don't have any problem with what a person believes, but I feel it is wrong to try to force someone to believe something they don't believe in. Needless to say we are no longer together due to the whole situation and I feel that it is the best thing.

MEMBER #2 of the INDEPENDENT WOMEN CLUB!

Member# 11 of the Fabulous And Thick Club
The Following User Says Thank You to kayos-grl For This Useful Post:
Jay1 (10-21-2014)
Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
the booga with the shuga

My baby's swears he is buddahist, but on his store reciepts he still eat meat (beef ramen noodles were a dead giveaway.)

Old 09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
classy and crazy

Yes, my David was a Muslim since way before he was convicted, way before he met me even. I think since he was in the Marines and that at least 10 years ago.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Boss

My man is also a Muslim, and like a lot of black men, got into his faith when he was locked up. It seems to be the one religion that really reaches out to them in prison.

I am not a Muslim, and never will be, and have a lot of disagreements with the different churches, especially the Nation of Islam. I have read a lot of their writing in an effort to understand what my husband was reading. I have a big problem with what they teach in regard to separation of race and sexes. I don't want to start a battle about what is right or wrong, I am just saying that I completely disagree with many of the various Church's and religious leaders' teaching, and especially that it is often used as a tool for power and control.

I think a lot of people misunderstand the religion because of all the governments and leaders who use it as a tool for power, control and oppression. Like the Bible, the Koran is open to interpretation. A lot of the so-called laws are actually cultural customs, from what he has told me.

Islam has helped my husband become a better man who controls his temper, is committed to having and meeting his goals, and helps his brothers. Because of that, I totally support his religious choice. I also admire that he is committed to it even under the conditions that 9/11 has brought.

At one time I considered myself a Christian, and he didn't agree with it, but he supported me in my search for the truth and strength to make it through these hard times. We have never had a fight or major problems over our differing beliefs because we don't expect one another to adopt it. He doesn't think I should follow religious beliefs just because he does, and he has never once requested anything from me except that I show respect for it. He does not believe that his wife has to follow islam in order for him to be a "true" muslim. As long as he keeps this attitude, it's all good.

Regarding your questions about the treatment of Muslims in prison, even more so after 9/11, there has been a lot of hatred from COs and other prisoners. But, they do have their own minister and prayer time, special functions and speakers, and their special conditions are met during Ramadan. So, overall, the prison administration does try to accommodate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
B92m (04-09-2015), CTay1014 (10-21-2008)
Old 09-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Love is what we do.

ONLY COMMENTING...but I have heard that a lot of like rapists and child molesters try to say they are muslims in prison for the protection. Muslims are the one group that wont treat them bad, beat them up for their crime....

"He makes me weak in the knees, and strong in spirit"
Old 09-10-2005, 04:06 PM
My Completeness...

My finace has been Muslim all his Life, and I've been Christian all my life. Of course we have talked about me converting, being as though we will soon be married, and in almost any religion, the wife/woman should follow her husbands belief, or atleast support it. Although, he wants me to eventually convert, he has NEVER pressured me, which I really do appreciate, because I know how important Islam has been to him his whole life, and I also know how important I have been in his life, and now that he wants to make me his wife, it is basically mandatory that I eventually convert, but he's so patient, & that makes such a huge difference.

As I have explained to him, being as though I know nuffin about Islam (except the basics) & by him being locked up, and not able to fully explain to me the faith, and answer certain things in detail, basically not being able to be "hands-on", it's hard for me to convert, & I've also explained to him that "IF & WHEN" I do consider converting, I don't feel as though it should be a decision that he or I make, it should be a natural "calling" and a natural "wanting", for I think that is the most geniune way of entering any faith, and he strongly agrees. Weve also agreed that we will cross this bridge once we get to it, and regardless of what the out come is, our love for each other takes precedence over everything, even Islam!

Last edited by Mad's Wife; 09-10-2005 at 04:14 PM..
Old 09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnticipate
ONLY COMMENTING...but I have heard that a lot of like rapists and child molesters try to say they are muslims in prison for the protection. Muslims are the one group that wont treat them bad, beat them up for their crime....
I find this hard to believe. Although Muslims do not believe in violence, if they found out someone was pretending to be one of them and wasn't sincere, they would not be treated well. Also, I think Muslims have less tolerance for sex crimes than other religions.
Not that I know everything about it, but it sounds like a myth to me.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Hello everyone

Yes, Donald is a Mulism. Im the one that posted about the pork! We never talked about our faiths! I have always respected him being a Mulism and me a bapist. I was asking what type of Mulism he is and he in turned asked me if I wanted to "turn" Mulism. I was just asking cause I have had others ask me and I didnt know. I told him that I didnt think I could turn because I didnt believe in a lot of what they where teaching. I love him for him, not for what he believes. I told him when he gets out that we can talk about it. I dont think its going to be a problem. He told me when we get married..its all me
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 AM

Nooooooo.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Wink's Wife

Default I'm In Love With a Muslim Too

Yes, my man is also a Muslim. He has been so for his entire life. The only conflict that we encounter is the prok thing. He was always against it when I was pregnant with our daughter, mainly because my favorite thing to eat was Ham subs from SUBWAY. However, he also feels that neither of our daughters should it wat either. Not to mention, they both love BACON and HAM.

I promised him that I would try to refrain from eating pork by the time that he is released. I am not sure that he is 100% convinced at this point.
2011 Club Member #17

He reached for my hand and touched my heart...

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM

My baby is a Five Percenter... Not certain if that is deemed full Muslim or not but I know that they relate. Anyway - he has never wanted me to convert. We spoke about it and he believes that if it is for me to convert than it will be shown to me. He is not trying to convert me. He respects my religion (baptist) and I respect his. But he is in the process of fully converting while incarcerated. He was never really into the church in the christian sense and he had issues with that religion as a whole... it felt right to him when he decided he was gonna convert. And I have no issues with his decision.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
hopelessly in love

I have a question and please forgive me if it is really stupid or neive because I honestly do not know the answer. If you are Muslim is it tru that you cannot eat pork and you aren't allowd to date or even marry white people? I heard that and then when I was visiting I saw this man that is Muslim adn he had just married a white woman and he was eating a pork rib sandwhich. I was just curious.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:40 PM

From what I understand and anyone can correct me if I am wrong...my ex says that they don't eat pork because it is the filtiest animal (but it sure is GOOD TO ME) and they would be disowned if they dated or married a white person. I don't get it because now he wants to be back with me and I am half white
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDamu415
I have a question and please forgive me if it is really stupid or neive because I honestly do not know the answer. If you are Muslim is it tru that you cannot eat pork and you aren't allowd to date or even marry white people? I heard that and then when I was visiting I saw this man that is Muslim adn he had just married a white woman and he was eating a pork rib sandwhich. I was just curious.

MEMBER #2 of the INDEPENDENT WOMEN CLUB!

Member# 11 of the Fabulous And Thick Club
Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 PM
5/5/05/ -7/3/08 NO MORE

My Husband Is A Muslim I Guess He Has An Open Mind For All. He Talks About It Ever So Often Even Has A Muslin Name In Prison He Goes By He Doesn't Eat Pork I Do I Read Somethings About Muslims Something About They Can Beat Thier Womens They Are Beneath Them All Kind Of Crazy Stuff. I Don't Agree And He Doesn't Force Me Too...

To relieze the value of a spouse
ask someone who doesn't have one

off 2 c the P.B.
Time waits 4 no one value every hour,min.,sec.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:32 PM

About the question concerning marrying white people Im not sure how the Nation of Islam works (also now as 5 percenters) but I know that in true Islam everyone is the same regardless of the color of their skin so A muslim man may marry whom he pleases however a woman can only marry a muslim man if she marries a non muslim man the marriage is considered invalid in gods eyes and it doesnt matter if you and your spouse are of the same race or not because like I said before we are all the same in gods eyes regardless of the color of our skin and no muslims do not eat pork because its considered a filthy animal..

Last edited by luischristina; 10-03-2005 at 02:34 PM..
Old 10-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Closed

Alex believes in Monotheism, so he lives as a Muslim. I was raised as a Protestant, but don't follow any religion now.
He is Hispanic and I am white and so far we've not encountered any problems in preparing to get married.
I won't be converting to Islam, but I am interested to learn more about it as time goes on.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Closed

My baby found Islam while he is doing his bid. He has never tried to force his knowledge on me or make me convert. He has shared information with me and I've looked up some info too. It seems peaceful to me. And I see the peace in him . I can't say if I would convert though because I've been Catholic since birth and even thought there's some things about Catholicism I don't agree with, it's what I am used to , you know ? But my baby and I love each other for what we mean to each other , not for how we pray to God.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

Yes, my man IS a muslim! I am NOT a muslim. And this has caused some disagreements between us. I completely respect his religion...but it's not for me! And sometimes he tends to forget that and tries to push it on me...which I don't like!! We also have issues over somethings that I don't see the big deal in...but I know they are important for him. I try to understand and be supportive, b/c if it's helping him...that's a good thing to me! He seems really focused since he has become a Muslim...and I think that's a good thing. I just don't like when he tries to push it on me. I have my own beliefs...not any specific religion, but I do believe in God...and I don't have any plans on changing those beliefs.
And as for marrying a white person...I hope that isn't the truth...b/c then Dave and I are gonna have some problems! I know that they aren't allowed to marry anyone that is athiest or worships things like statues. Hugs
-Jackie
Old 10-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_luv
. . . It seems to be the one religion that really reaches out to them in prison. Christianity is there. It doesn't reach out -- the men know it's there -- if they want it they know where to go. My husband said it's looked upon like geekish. Peer presure could make some make the choices they make. My husband know he need Jesus so he ain't even trying to play wit it.

I am not a Muslim, and never will be, and have a lot of disagreements with the different churches, especially the Nation of Islam. I have read a lot of their writing in an effort to understand what my husband was reading. I have a big problem with what they teach in regard to separation of race and sexes. I don't want to start a battle about what is right or wrong, I am just saying that I completely disagree with many of the various Church's and religious leaders' teaching, and especially that it is often used as a tool for power and control.

I think a lot of people misunderstand the religion because of all the governments and leaders who use it as a tool for power, control and oppression. . . . the Koran . . . A lot of the so-called laws are actually cultural customs, from what he has told me.
. .
^^^ my sentiments exactly.

Last edited by Bin Waitin; 10-03-2005 at 09:25 PM..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Boss

Regarding marrying white people: Nation of Islam teaches seperation of races and sexes (they actually advocate for a seperate country within the U.S. for Black people). But as far as not being allowed to marry a white person, I don't know. NOI is just one big church, like, let's say Foursquare Gospel (a pnenecostal christan church) it's sad so many people base their knowledge on them and the oppressive governments of the middle east. This is not true Islam.

Islam does not teach racism, there is nothing about skin color in the Koran or taught by most sects, and unlike Christianity, they didn't use the Koran as a tool to enslave and kills millions of people because of their race.

Regarding the marriage, a muslim woman is "supposed" to marry a muslim man but a muslim man is "allowed" to marry any woman as long as she believes in God and is not an atheist. This has to do with children: men used to rule the family and make decisions. Things are changin though, there are sects, like the sufi, that are giving equal rights women.

Last edited by one_luv; 10-04-2005 at 01:03 AM..
Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
classy and crazy

I am so pleased to know my post has inspired such a wonderful conversation! Keep the information coming ladies!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Loving Him 4-Ever & A Day

I am Muslim! An so is my hubby. Islam is a wonderful thing, when you understand it.

ONE LUV I thought you post was very interesting. An you are correct about the Nation of Islam, they teach race separation and alot of hate. THis is so far from what Islam is truly about. Muslims are every race and color, they represent a rainbow. MalcomX started off with the Nation of Islam as did Muhammud Ali, once they started studying and went over to Mecce for Hajj, they saw muslims of all races praying and worshiping together, they left the Nation!! The Nation of Islam was responsible for Malcolm's murder. I could go on and on!

Those of you who are married to Muslim men, take the time to learn and understand and you might be surprised!

Islam is a peaceful religion, Ramadam is starting tomorrow for those of you with spouses that are Muslims, encourage them and learn during this festive season of our.

Wa Laakem Asa Laam
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Very enlightened posts.
My uncle is a muslim, as One love states, there are TWO different types of Muslims the Black Muslims and the ORTHODOX muslims. I don't put down either of them because I can tell you where I come from Oakland, CA., they've done so much for our community and I would rather see these youngsters in the NOI instead of laying in the middle of the street with a bullet in their body. I don't agree with some of the teachings of the NOI but I will not say anything negative about them because they've saved a lot of youngsters from drugs and violence.
Also I believe once Malcolm received spritual guidance from the wholly land of Mecca, he started his own chapters and was assinated, so correct if
I'm wrong but there are two different sets of black muslims now? Some continued Malcolms teachings and branched off from Elijah Muhhamonds?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa' ishah
. . . you are correct about the Nation of Islam, they teach race separation and alot of hate.
That's not true -- they do not teach hate -- that's just your interinterpretation. I'm sorry.