Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 AM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default PA DOC lockdown information

This thread will be to post information and questions related to the lockdown of state facilities. Please do your best to make sure the information you post is correct / documented. Questions about lockdowns can usually be answered by visiting the DOC website.

https://www.cor.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 AM

And the first post is:

SCI Benner is locked down.

https://www.cor.pa.gov/Pages/AlertDetails.aspx
Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 AM

SCI Houtzdale went into a limited lockdown on Thursday evening.
fbopnomore (06-16-2019), patchouli (06-16-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Sci Albion-LOCKDOWN

Please forgive me..not sure which forum I need to be in. However. Does anyone have ANY information about WHY SCI ALBION is in lockdown? It is going on 3 days now and I cannot get a straight answer. My fiance is so close to freedom. He already went before the parole board and I would hate to see anything happen to jeopardize him coming home. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:52 AM

There is no mention of it on the DOC website, and they generally post these things.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:53 PM

Default SCI Dallas Anyone hear from their loved one?

My fiance is at SCI Dallas and I havent heard from him in 2 day. He usually calls twice and day and we email back and fourth all day long. I called there today because I was worried that something happened and they advised me the whole facility is on lockdown with no access to phones. Anyone know why or when it will be lifted?
Old 09-13-2020, 02:48 AM

Not really sure about Dallas but there has been several Covid-19 outbreaks causing full lockdown.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:26 AM

Thats what I am concerned about. We are on day 4 now and still locked down. And they dont tell you why when you call. Of course we have a visit scheduled for this morning too.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:50 AM

https://www.cor.pa.gov/Pages/AlertDetails.aspx

Oh wow. My husband is at Rockview but they are only on partial lockdown. He said a bus leaving for Camp Hill turned around and came back because of a breakout at Camp Hill and Mercer. I don't understand why they were doing all these transfers. They just stirred up the virus. They need to just send more people home.

Hope you get your visit or more info.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:55 PM

Thanks. No visits. No phone calls. But he somehow sent me an email letting me know there was an incident where an inmate assaulted a counselor. Not sure why they need the entire facility locked down for 5+ days for the actions of one guys. They wont even let them take showers. How inhumane. They treat our guys like animals. Its disgusting.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:57 PM

Oh I see. Yes, it's horrible
Old 09-20-2020, 07:42 AM

Two things have happened coincidentally.
1. There were reports of multiple new COVID cases at CH and MER, and
2. There was an assault on staff at DAL.

The DOC continues to move prisoners for many reasons, most notably as either intakes or releases. They have developed the idea of creating a bubble around the entire agency rather than individual bubbles around each facility. Nonetheless, they have dramatically reduced the amount of inter-facility movement just in case.

Let's be clear: the only way they could possibly prevent any new exposure would be to quarantine the staff inside their respective facilities. Do we do this at nursing homes or hospitals or fire stations?

As for releasing more prisoners, the DOC really doesn't control releases. It would be up to the PBPP to parole at a greater rate, but their rate was already higher than it had been in decades. The institutional population is down 10% since August of 2019 -- that's 4,500 fewer men and women behind the walls. now, some of that is the reduction in new commitments and PV returns, but some of it is an increase in releases. Let's not ignore the data.

An entire facility is typically locked down after an incident. Benner went through this a few weeks ago when a staff member was assaulted. These are done so that staff can re-assert their control. if you want to see mass punishment, just ask someone in the military -- especially boot camp.

The lack of information is sad but the DOC is under no obligation to answer every phone call. Only the parents of minors enjoy the right to know what's going on with their loved one -- ask any hospital. They do make public announcements, and they do respond to requests from the Prison Society.

No one on this site favors unjust incarceration. We all wish the prison population was closer to zero, and most members have a loved on in prison whom they particularly want released. I've been an advocate for more than fifteen years. My first lessons were to understand how the system operates and why certain things happen, including the things I dislike.
aalbright17 (10-10-2020), Ms Sunny (10-01-2020), waitinguntil001 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 02:18 PM

I am curious why they are packing the inmates together in large rooms instead of seperate cells. It seems much more dangerous with all the COVID outbreaks. There are so many empty cells, then inmates are one foot apart in these cubicles. It makes no sense in several levels.
And there has been constant moving around. That is so unnerving to the inmates. Especially when there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason and of course they are given any explanation...things are stressful enough right now..
The Following User Says Thank You to Claire 554 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Does anybody have any info on pike county jail i tried to call there but not getting anyone to pick up are they having visits yet
Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Responding to Claire:

As the DOC reduces the overall population, it doesn't generally result in scores of empty cells. Allow me to explain:

The DOC has two "capacity" numbers: normal and emergency. They operated under their emergency capacity for decades, about 108% of the normal capacity.

Normal capacity presumes the following, and I'm sure this list is not all-inclusive:
1. Don't count RHU beds;
2. Don't count infirmary beds;
3. Do not used converted TV rooms and other spaces;
4. Maintain a certain number of single cells.

As the population drops, these are the first things each facility tries to accomplish. Also, the DOC has closed two prisons in three years, which tends to consolidate the beds.

Let's be honest: inmates generally hate dorms. Given a preference, the overwhelming majority want a single cell. Prisons with dorms have created incentives for CL-2 men and women to be housed in dorms, and -- when everyone in the dorm develops a sense of community -- the dorms tend to be highly successful from all perspectives (administration, inmate and officers.)

DOC dorms still comply with the same space requirements as the cells, meaning two men share about 75 square feet. When I walk through housing units, I see dorm bunks separated by spaces of around four to five feet, meaning the bunk has about 75 square feet under and around it. (This is less common in some of the CCCs, but that's a separate topic.) Due the the "common spaces" in most dorms, eight men are probably sharing a lot more than the 300 square feet of four combined cells.

Under the DOC reopening plan, inmates are grouped into cohorts. Men sharing a cell or a dorm are in the same cohort, and this forms their "bubble."
fbopnomore (09-27-2020)