Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 08-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Donation Award 

Default Forfeiture before being charged?

Just curious if anybody has had experience with forfeiture before being charged? Everything I have read civil forfeiture can happen before, during, or after being charged. Or it appears in a lot of cases no charges at all. I am more curious about real world results more than what I can read doing a google search.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,133 Times in 13,835 Posts

One case I watched happen in the federal prison in Miami. My newly arrested cellie (drug charges) was talking with his lawyer about his case. The lawyer warned him that the US Attorney was notorious for seizing bank accounts, and property from folks so they wouldn't be able to defend themselves as the case progressed.

The inmate signed a mortgage document in favor of the lawyer, the lawyer filed it in court, and later found that they had been in a race with the AUSA who had tried to file a notice of seizure for his house. The first one there won the race.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 08-10-2020 at 08:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwaway11 View Post
Just curious if anybody has had experience with forfeiture before being charged? Everything I have read civil forfeiture can happen before, during, or after being charged. Or it appears in a lot of cases no charges at all. I am more curious about real world results more than what I can read doing a google search.
Depends on the jurisdiction (federal or state) and type of case. In Michigan, they can seize items and bring a successful forfeiture action premised on a drug crime conviction. In other words, unless you get charges dismissed or an acquittal, the seized assets go bye-bye. That is a recent, and improved, change to the law where before police would take things and there was mostly little that could be done about it. At least now, they need to convict you.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Donation Award 

Sometimes the seized assets are gone even if you are never criminally charged. And then you have to pay for an attorney to get them back because it is considered a civil case. This is a horrible violation of constitutional rights and it being fought in courts at multiple levels. Some states have changed this policy because of suits.
The Following User Says Thank You to RaeLR For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-10-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeLR View Post
Sometimes the seized assets are gone even if you are never criminally charged. And then you have to pay for an attorney to get them back because it is considered a civil case. This is a horrible violation of constitutional rights and it being fought in courts at multiple levels. Some states have changed this policy because of suits.
I would agree. Many police agencies have acted and banked on people not being able to effectively challenge the seizures. It can cost money and time, unfortunately; resources police know are often in short supply with vulnerable populations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-11-2020), RaeLR (08-11-2020), sidewalker (08-13-2020), Throwaway11 (08-12-2020)