Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,039 Times in 14,343 Posts

We have a Petition forum specifically for petitions...HERE.

When ya'll have a finished product--an actual petition--you are more than welcome to post the link to the petition and a little bit about the petition (what its for) in that forum

For all other issues, please consult our Posting Guidelines HERE.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to pm me or any Moderator

Happy Petition Writing ya'll!

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
cornellcutie1 (09-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Thought this video would be good to share and it may be good to show family and friends who believe people are only in jail because they are "bad" and fail to see people are making serious money off of the ever changing definition of what "bad" is...http://www.upworthy.com/how-the-unit...e-trade?c=upw1
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
DebAKirk

The warden at St. Clair Correctional Facility in Alabama has vowed that no one will get married as long as he is the warden! That is against Supreme Court law and I have cases to back it up. It makes me so angry because my fiance and I have been jumping through his criteria 'hoops' for 2 years and finally got to where it was time to get the date approved and he denied it and said he wont allow any marriages while he is there. SO FRUSTRATED!!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigsGurl63 View Post
The warden at St. Clair Correctional Facility in Alabama has vowed that no one will get married as long as he is the warden! That is against Supreme Court law and I have cases to back it up. It makes me so angry because my fiance and I have been jumping through his criteria 'hoops' for 2 years and finally got to where it was time to get the date approved and he denied it and said he wont allow any marriages while he is there. SO FRUSTRATED!!
It is amazing what people in power think they can do simply because of a position that was given to them! I can imagine your frustration, thank you for adding your personal experience to this thread. Please share this thread with people like yourself, the more people we get involved the better we can make this petition to create real change.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Some recent changes have been made to some laws on the state level, this means some of your love ones are less likely to end up in jail in the first place and some who are currently in may have a reduced sentence depending on the state you live. Check it out: http://www.upworthy.com/map-you-wont...tonight?c=upw1
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
BourtneysWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlynch View Post
I want to be a part of this! I know when we unite in this cause it will be that much more powerful. We all have stories and those stories relate to each other. I can't help but play devils advocate here. As with most of our nation's government institutions, there is a money trail. We have passion for our loved ones; people that society has been trained to fear and therefor turn their heads to. The reason animal mistreatment is less tolerated is animals can't vote, don't pay taxes, and can't speak up. But their owners do and society is trained to see their pets as endearing members of their family, so they will give money to save all animals because they see them as being the same(do you ever see one dog and think it is a more upstanding, productive, honest dog than the other?)
In our prison systems there are people that got there through horrible acts of violence, deception, corruption, abandonment, all kinds of mistreatment of other humans or animals. We are taught to fear these people getting out and coming after our loved ones. So we lock them up and lose the key. We only put the money that is necessary to maintain safety. Yes these are humans and we said when we formed this nation that all people should have certain inalienable rights, but not if I have to pay more money for a criminal to live better! Im being sarcastic here ( for those who think this may be my opinion), but the point I'm trying to make is if we are gonna fight injustice we really have to know who we are fighting, and the actual reason we have to fight for these things in the first place. We are one of the worst prison systems in the world! Why?
I think our personal stories are the things that will bring people to our cause, but there needs to be facts to support those stories. I think research is needed for our petition to be able to do battle against it's true enemy, government or private funding, otherwise known as the money trail.
Everyone needs to see the seriousness of this petition to change the prison system. We need to do what was intended when the prisons were built, what they put on paper as their goal (reformation and re-entry into society), and that right now the system is set up to let criminals educate other criminals in the ways of crime only to send them back out as better criminals (or worse new criminals). To use the analogy again, would you take a pack of put bulls who killed a kid, cage them for years without educating and directing them, and when their time was up let them loose again hoping they were scared straight enough to not come back, but strong enough to figure out how to survive in new surroundings? It's like saying "you a killer, we'll put you with other killers who would like to kill you, tell you how we will expect you to survive (according to societies rules which nobody cares about in there), give you minimal support (because you made bad choices that now make you disposable) and if you survive (because you learned what prison has to teach you-survival at all costs) we'll reward you with freedom in a place you forgot how to live in, but watch out because all you have to do is slip up and start acting the way you were conditioned to act in here and we'll take you back, gladly. Good luck!
This theory of change is one most people who don't have loved ones behind the walls can see is worth in looking into, but they can only hear the horror stories for so long before they decide to walk away because they don't want to imagine themselves in our shoes and can't see where to begin to change it because they don't see the root. I am suggesting we work to find the root and bring some empirical evidence to society's attention along with our personal stories.
This is so true i never knew that there were so many people that could relate to my story. My fiance has been down almost 13 years and the system is keeping him locked down even though he has complied with all rules and regulations. He is currently awaiting transfer to another facility. He still has not been released to population 120 days after the fact that he has complied with everything. Yes my baby still sits in a one man cell. He has been in the max 4 years total and now still there after doing what was asked of him. That is cruel and unusual punishment. They do not help people to better themselves for the future and living out here in society. No matter what i will keep my faith in god and my soon to be husband.If theres anyway i can contribute to the cause please inform me... God bless us all..
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourtneyswife For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (03-13-2015)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourtneyswife View Post
This is so true i never knew that there were so many people that could relate to my story. My fiance has been down almost 13 years and the system is keeping him locked down even though he has complied with all rules and regulations. He is currently awaiting transfer to another facility. He still has not been released to population 120 days after the fact that he has complied with everything. Yes my baby still sits in a one man cell. He has been in the max 4 years total and now still there after doing what was asked of him. That is cruel and unusual punishment. They do not help people to better themselves for the future and living out here in society. No matter what i will keep my faith in god and my soon to be husband.If theres anyway i can contribute to the cause please inform me... God bless us all..
Thank you Bourtneyswife for your story and queenlynch for the OP Bourtneyswife responded to.

I know there are many people who can relate to this I'm just running into the wall of people connecting to this cause,but not feeling empowered enough to do anything about it. I need help to do this I need people willing to commit to doing the needed research as queenlynch had mentioned to move forward. I need everyone who views this thread and who has made a post to make an ongoing effort to bring more people to this thread. I cannot do this alone and I would like to build a site specifically for this,but I will not invest the time, nor figure out how to come up with the money needed to develop the platform if people are not serious about making this happen. Talk is cheap, we need action to make a difference here. Is your loved one worth the effort?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM

A great video to share here on PTO and on your favorite social networks: http://www.upworthy.com/so-you-stole...-in-jai?c=upw1
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Wanted to share another video with you guys maybe we should use Norway prisons as a guideline for what we should strive for in our own prison system I know a lot of you agree with "treat a person like an animal and they will be one, treat them like a worthy human being and they will rise to the occasion".
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 AM
DebAKirk

Well we have gotten another update. Once faced with the legal end of things the warden has changed his story. He now says that the reason he denied us is because we are 'MWI' (met while incarcerated) and thinks we're only trying to get married to get him out of prison not for love. We have been trying to get this done for 2 years so I'd say that should be proof it's what we really want not a game...
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigsGurl63 View Post
Well we have gotten another update. Once faced with the legal end of things the warden has changed his story. He now says that the reason he denied us is because we are 'MWI' (met while incarcerated) and thinks we're only trying to get married to get him out of prison not for love. We have been trying to get this done for 2 years so I'd say that should be proof it's what we really want not a game...
Thanks for keeping us up to date! Funny how people's stories will change when they come face-to-face with the consequences of their actions. I can only imagine your frustration us PTOers to our own kind of "time" for sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Great discussion with lots of facts and figures as well: http://www.upworthy.com/how-to-ensla...illegal?c=upw1
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM

This would be a great program to have in every prison http://www.prisonsmart.org
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM

The best analysis of the prison system I have seen:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM

It seems more people are starting to realize people are people and they are all deserving of our love and respect no matter where they are located. For the rest they judge...http://www.upworthy.com/its-amazing-...r-looks?c=upw1
The Following User Says Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
penpal_GER (03-12-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 AM

An Ex-Murderer Shows The World Why Giving Him A Second Chance Was The Right Idea

http://www.upworthy.com/an-ex-murder...ht-idea?c=upw1
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Would love it if our prisons had more programs like this one: http://www.keprtv.com/home/video/Coy...?tab=video&c=y
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 AM

An article that makes me sick to my stomach http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=2322962
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 AM

Thought those of you with kids would appreciate knowing about this http://www.hulu.com/watch/501683?pla...sset_scope=all
Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 AM

An interesting video regarding youths charged as adults in the prison system. https://www.upworthy.com/how-bad-wer...s-me?c=reccon1
Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
dagosta

Default this article is about austria prison system I have a bunch more

that basically theorize that the criminal justice system is a money tree and it is not reducing the crime rate over all rather breeding criminals which I have seen a change in a short period in my LO's actions and behaviors and it tells me that this under a year "bid" may have negative lasting affects on the rest of his life.. maybe too soon to tell I am sure I can alter this but I spent many years raising my sons right and he hits a low point in his lifetime has no priors of any sort and he is being caged like an animal with no respect, no rights and treated like a Parana or animal of sorts .. sure food, water and a roof ,, no one in the system listens to them they are ignored and disregarded as "nothing". He would like to be set up in a pre-release rehab program which will teach him more skills to cope and secure employment but I am told the system does not do this any more very rarely prior to fulfilling their term. When you call or inquire for information never get a human and never get a return call back. no one provides family with the facts just bits and pieces to which end you can not make an informed decision this is a poor example of how to make progress. Vague and misleading and lacking . sorry humanity is out the window in the criminal justice system with in this country and there is no excuse for the lack of humanity and manor in which inmates are being treated. I am extremely doubtful that it is only may son being treated in this manner.. so I am appalled that our system can allow such insensitivity to human kind when there is clear evidence that the system itself which has only been in place approx 200 years proves to be effective in preventing crimes or criminal behavior rather to the contrary it appears to be raising more of them than reducing the numbers. There are ore to come I just have to dig them up..
http://lecture-notes.tumblr.com/post...ctional-center
cornellcutie1 (01-14-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM

I would like to get involved in anyway.. my younger brother suffers from epilepsy he had a drinking problem that led him to prison now i fear for his life and health everyday for many reasons something needs to be done to help the inmates who want to better them selfs
Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 AM

Norway Vs. US Prisons
https://www.facebook.com/opposingvie...3925995516051/