Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montysmom View Post
To touch on a couple of things in your post, when you say getting to the root of the problem concerning substance abuse, in my sons case, he uses alcohol at times to overcome the swings in mood due to Bipolar and I am sure there are many more people that have issues that they try to cover up with drugs. No one really cares about that they just want to put them in prison and do not address the problem.
The other thing you mentioned, about the fat in the budget, I can guarantee it is at the top of the chain of command. One other thing I would like to touch on, is the training of the CO's, I think the new boots are ill trained and way too young, but to be fair there are many CO's that do follow policy, rules, regulations etc, they are just few and far between. I am sure the CO's that do follow the rules would like the others that do not, out of the prisons just as much as we want that. If we really knew what was going on behind the scenes at TDC we would be way more angry than we are right now.
Yes, that was exactly my point there is a lot of mental illness not being addressed inside as well as trauma. My honey was using in order to deal with his PTSD and other issues he was not willing at the time to cope with. Part of his use lead him to hang out with unsavory people and unfortunately that is part of the reason he is where he is right now. He has however, taken responsibility for his actions and is not blaming anyone for his own doing. I agree with everything else you said as well. I think training has been brought up more then once so that is definitely a hot button issue for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
I would also like to be a part of this, a lot of you mention a/c well where my man is at which is the hole they always had to have the a/c on and he was in nothing but boxers and well here in Cali it's not always hot and when it gets cold it gets cold but somehow he had gotten used to it. Also, he had a situation in his cell where a pipe had broke and water was everywhere so obviously he was pissed and because the day before he kept telling the co's about it and they did nothing, he kept asking for towels and no one would listen so the following day it was flooded and he started talking $hit and they had the swat team come in and restrain him he got his visits and commissary taken away for two weeks they told him it would of been 6 mos. of no visits and commissary but that they realize they had some fault and he shouldn't have reacted the way that he did. Come on now REALLY? how was he supposed to react....Anyway inhumane treatment is a big one, also the food they serve them how can anyone survive on peanut butter and jelly...I would also ask for more educational classes my man wants to take college courses but it's not always allowed, so that a good one too. A lot of these inmates are really smart and would like to further their education. They should have more programs to distract all the enemosity in prison. He's been in for 3 years and is still in reception awaiting to go do the rest of his time in a federal prison. I too haven't touched him since 2009 and can't wait for this to pass....so I'm with you gals on this
Glad to have you join all of us! Do you have a Facebook account? I'm thinking of starting a group there so we can better organize our thoughts.
I'll take not that repair issues need to be taken care of as soon as possible. I know that with my guy there was an issue with there being a small hole in a cell connecting it to another cell harley big enough to even shove a paper through. They had the entire pod lock-ed down for over a week to repair it. Don't know why it takes 10 days to fix a tiny hole, do any of you know? lol Peanut butter and jelly sounds like a treat compared to what they get at Land O Lakes down here.Education has been mentioned many times I think your the first to mention college level courses for inside so I will take note of that.You're right it is a great distraction and educated people tend not to fight as much IMO. What are your skills how do you think you can best serve this cause?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellcutie1 View Post
The government has a new petition platform called We the People. With this new platform we are given the opportunity to make real change if the signatures go over a certain quota. I want all of us to come together and draft the best possible petition we can covering the major issues our loved ones are facing being locked up. It is very clear from our own personal experiences as well as reading these forums that a lot of injustice is happening as well as violations of human rights issues. (I am fueled for this project by just having a visit with my BF today and hearing of the terrible things that have happened in the last few days, not to mention a fire alarm with no fire ruining 30 min of our 2 hr visit. He says the alarm has been going off consistently for a few days now.)

I want to do this together as a group for a few reasons:
1. With all of our input it will be thorough, and no one (who reads the petition) can say that their state or their prison doesn't have these types of problems because we are all from different places, are different races, and are from all walks of life
2. Multiple heads in a project are always better then 1.
3. If we did a bunch of separate petitions it is possible that none of our ideas will get enough signatures or attention
4. Our petition will have a snowball effect being that all who help write it will sign.
5. If we work together on this it is very possible that this can go viral on the internet and create major media attention!

The point of prison is yes punishment, but rehabilitation and creating and maintaining connections with family and community should be a main goal.

Some of the issues I personally want to address are:
  • Conjugal visits
  • COs getting their own junk food and fantastic meals while prisoners get donations from local organizations or nothing at all
  • Violations of human rights
  • Corrupt and or uncaring lawyers, judges, Sargent etc.
  • Lack of programs especially literacy
  • Improper care of those with health issues especially veterans
  • Mail issues and requirements
I'd love to hear of your problems and concerns,but please let's keep this on a positive beat and come up with actual solutions as well.

Justice System Reform is the focus of the petition we will draft. I look forward to all of your input.
My man was arrested 9/30. I am new to this jail/Prison thing. he's going to prison around 11/1. Anyway They basically treat the inmates at the county jail like cagged animals. We had court last week. We had an attorney, the female county attorney and a male judge. We were trying to get him off his no hold bond. The judge dosent like my man. The county attorney hates black men (She is because something about her husband was black and beat her but she should not take it out on all men) (My man is wonderful, he just made some mistakes in his life we all have), she read like 30 years back of violations. The judge wouldn't let our attorney talk. They kept the no hold bond. Then come to find out his white PO let a guy out with bond for armed robbery and he's white. I can't believe all this I knew there is racism but i feel his and others had their rights violated, Some of the jailers are even racists, They starve them, the best thing my man can get with comisary is soup and chips. My man is in for 3rd count of public intox on private property and probation violation. For his 11/1 court the attorney said he will have the same county attorney who wants to put him in prison for over 2 years. Not that it matters but i'm white. I just hate what he's going through it's not right. And others are saying the same about this jail, the same jailers, the county attorney and the judge.

Last edited by gpherscovici; 10-23-2011 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: wording wasn't right
Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 AM

[quote=gpuckett;6411789]My man was arrested 9/30. I am new to this jail/Prison thing. he's going to prison around 11/1. Anyway They basically treat the inmates at the county jail like cagged animals. We had court last week. We had an attorney, the female county attorney and a male judge. We were trying to get him off his no hold bond. The judge dosent like my man. The county attorney hates black men (She is because something about her husband was black and beat her but she should not take it out on all men) (My man is wonderful, he just made some mistakes in his life we all have), she read like 30 years back of violations. The judge wouldn't let our attorney talk. They kept the no hold bond. Then come to find out his white PO let a guy out with bond for armed robbery and he's white. I can't believe all this I knew there is racism but i feel his and others had their rights violated, Some of the jailers are even racists, They starve them, the best thing my man can get with comisary is soup and chips. My man is in for 3rd count of public intox on private property and probation violation. For his 11/1 court the attorney said he will have the same county attorney who wants to put him in prison for over 2 years. Not that it matters but i'm white. I just hate what he's going through it's not right. And others are saying the same about this jail, the same jailers, the county attorney and the judge.[/quote/]
Thanks for your story I was wondering when/if someone was going to post with this type of issue. Do you mind sharing what specific prison your man is in?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM

[quote=cornellcutie1;6411972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpuckett View Post
My man was arrested 9/30. I am new to this jail/Prison thing. he's going to prison around 11/1. Anyway They basically treat the inmates at the county jail like cagged animals. We had court last week. We had an attorney, the female county attorney and a male judge. We were trying to get him off his no hold bond. The judge dosent like my man. The county attorney hates black men (She is because something about her husband was black and beat her but she should not take it out on all men) (My man is wonderful, he just made some mistakes in his life we all have), she read like 30 years back of violations. The judge wouldn't let our attorney talk. They kept the no hold bond. Then come to find out his white PO let a guy out with bond for armed robbery and he's white. I can't believe all this I knew there is racism but i feel his and others had their rights violated, Some of the jailers are even racists, They starve them, the best thing my man can get with comisary is soup and chips. My man is in for 3rd count of public intox on private property and probation violation. For his 11/1 court the attorney said he will have the same county attorney who wants to put him in prison for over 2 years. Not that it matters but i'm white. I just hate what he's going through it's not right. And others are saying the same about this jail, the same jailers, the county attorney and the judge.[/quote/]
Thanks for your story I was wondering when/if someone was going to post with this type of issue. Do you mind sharing what specific prison your man is in?
Thank you so much for repling. I greatly appreciate it. I didn't think anyone would read it. No i don't mind at all. He is in the black hawk jail in Waterloo, Iowa. He goes to Oakdale iowa after his court Nov. 1. He will be there a few months until they figure out what Prison he will be sent too.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
At Last!

Quote:
Glad to have you join all of us! Do you have a Facebook account? I'm thinking of starting a group there so we can better organize our thoughts.
I'll take not that repair issues need to be taken care of as soon as possible. I know that with my guy there was an issue with there being a small hole in a cell connecting it to another cell harley big enough to even shove a paper through. They had the entire pod lock-ed down for over a week to repair it. Don't know why it takes 10 days to fix a tiny hole, do any of you know? lol Peanut butter and jelly sounds like a treat compared to what they get at Land O Lakes down here.Education has been mentioned many times I think your the first to mention college level courses for inside so I will take note of that.You're right it is a great distraction and educated people tend not to fight as much IMO. What are your skills how do you think you can best serve this cause?

Well my skills vary, it all depends what you need once we know how to put this in place. I work for an Investment Co. I previously worked in a law firm before this for about 7 years so I know how to do some research, typing, formatting etc....I'm sure we can all contribute to the cause in some way. I currently don't have a FB account due to personal reasons, but I'm willing to help as needed

I love you baby! You and I til the End of our time....

Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM

[quote=gpuckett;6412775]
Quote:

Thank you so much for repling. I greatly appreciate it. I didn't think anyone would read it. No i don't mind at all. He is in the black hawk jail in Waterloo, Iowa. He goes to Oakdale iowa after his court Nov. 1. He will be there a few months until they figure out what Prison he will be sent too.
Oh no, my dear everyone's voice counts! I wish you a strong and steadfast spirit and a heart overflowing with love.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Well my skills vary, it all depends what you need once we know how to put this in place. I work for an Investment Co. I previously worked in a law firm before this for about 7 years so I know how to do some research, typing, formatting etc....I'm sure we can all contribute to the cause in some way. I currently don't have a FB account due to personal reasons, but I'm willing to help as needed
Great thanks for getting back to me. Looks like we have quiet a few of us somehow connected to the law field ironic and interesting nonetheless. I've no doubt with team work this will be an amazing feat we all accomplish! That's too bad about the FB,but I understand. I just want to know what is the most accessible and easiest way to communicated for everyone.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 AM

Question

How many of you use postcards to write?
If you use postcards is that because the prison/jail etc. requires you to?
How many postcards on average make up your typical "letter"?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 AM

hi, i'm kinda new here, have been off since march and am now back and seen this post.you can count me in in any help that i can be.there are so many things that need to change in the prison system and the county jails.i really would like to help if need be, just let me know.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
At Last!

Quote:
Great thanks for getting back to me. Looks like we have quiet a few of us somehow connected to the law field ironic and interesting nonetheless. I've no doubt with team work this will be an amazing feat we all accomplish! That's too bad about the FB,but I understand. I just want to know what is the most accessible and easiest way to communicated for everyone.

Email would work fine with me I will PM you in a bit....that is a good question, which way is easiest for everyone to communicate directly on the subject. I think once you have the ppl willing and ready to help we can begin getting something together, we can begin communicating on a more personal level with one same goal.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam1964 View Post
hi, i'm kinda new here, have been off since march and am now back and seen this post.you can count me in in any help that i can be.there are so many things that need to change in the prison system and the county jails.i really would like to help if need be, just let me know.
Please list some of your gripes and experiences and tell me where you think you would be able to help us...then we will move on from there. So, glad the universe prompted you to log back on and take a look!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Email would work fine with me I will PM you in a bit....that is a good question, which way is easiest for everyone to communicate directly on the subject. I think once you have the ppl willing and ready to help we can begin getting something together, we can begin communicating on a more personal level with one same goal.
I do want to apologize for any typos I have done or will do in the future. I tend to write back in the early am as I work on my business late night until the early morning so I'm a bit tired by the time I get to all of you.

I would much prefer to start a group on Facebook for all of us as I would be able to save drafts that the whole group can look at and comment on. There is no way with this forum to organize the ideas that are being shared. E-mail is fine too, but again not organized as all of you can see I am a bit anal retentive! lol Thanks Jay 1 I got your PM and appreciate all you do!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 AM

[quote=cornellcutie1;6413687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpuckett View Post
Oh no, my dear everyone's voice counts! I wish you a strong and steadfast spirit and a heart overflowing with love.
Thank you I will. I have to be strong for him. After he gets out we are getting married. I just wish he was out now he doesnt deserve this he is a wonderful person. I know he did the crime but to be treated like this, I am shocked. I wish i could do something but he said not too, he dosent want his name in anything pertaining to this. I just hate sitting back and watching this go on. Take care. PS. I am on facebook, Gail Herscovici and email: (removed per policy; please contact member via pm system)

Last edited by patchouli; 10-27-2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: removed email addy
Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
At Last!

Quote:
I do want to apologize for any typos I have done or will do in the future. I tend to write back in the early am as I work on my business late night until the early morning so I'm a bit tired by the time I get to all of you.

I would much prefer to start a group on Facebook for all of us as I would be able to save drafts that the whole group can look at and comment on. There is no way with this forum to organize the ideas that are being shared. E-mail is fine too, but again not organized as all of you can see I am a bit anal retentive! lol Thanks Jay 1 I got your PM and appreciate all you do!

I will really think about creating a FB just for this cause and this cause only...lol so keep me posted

Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 PM

[quote=gpuckett;6415809]
Quote:

Thank you I will. I have to be strong for him. After he gets out we are getting married. I just wish he was out now he doesnt deserve this he is a wonderful person. I know he did the crime but to be treated like this, I am shocked. I wish i could do something but he said not too, he dosent want his name in anything pertaining to this. I just hate sitting back and watching this go on. Take care. PS. I am on facebook, Gail Herscovici and email: (removed per policy; please contact member via pm system)
Man, do your sentiments mirror mine! I can understand his fear of having his name in anything. I think we can all understand given our stories of COs and the like react. I sent my request black and white photo as well with hat! Thanks so much!

Last edited by patchouli; 10-27-2011 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Because I'm anal retentive and found typos! lol//removed email addy...patchouli
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I will really think about creating a FB just for this cause and this cause only...lol so keep me posted
That's great! Except I was notified by a moderator that by posting a link to such a group I would be violating the terms of the website. "you can't post an "invitation" for others to contact you on any prison support website/page, including facebook."

We are in discussions of moving this thread to Prison Activism, I think this is a better fit anyway and then when we do have the final petition and it is live we can post it back under this category.

Because I am so confused as to how to organize all this info and for all of us to work together doing so without violating the terms it was suggested that we pick a particular day and time to go into the chat room. WHAT TIME DOES EVERYONE TYPICALLY LOG INTO PTO?

I would like to make the group, but I don't know how I would notify all of you about it if I did

Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,014 Times in 14,332 Posts

What I have also suggested is that everyone writes at least one good papragraph outlining your concerns/what you want included in the petition in Microsoft word. Then the work can be attached to an email and all those "parts" from each member are sent to one person who then does the splicing/editing. Once the splicing/editing is complete, a copy is sent from that one person to everyone in the group--so they can proofread/make any changes (use a different color font for any changes) and send it back to the "editor." etc etc.

One word of caution.....please do not post your email addy on the open boards. This is the www and posting of your personal email addy invites spammers/trolls to your inbox . Please contact each other via the pm system if you want to swap email addys

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
cornellcutie1 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
That's great! Except I was notified by a moderator that by posting a link to such a group I would be violating the terms of the website. "you can't post an "invitation" for others to contact you on any prison support website/page, including facebook."

We are in discussions of moving this thread to Prison Activism, I think this is a better fit anyway and then when we do have the final petition and it is live we can post it back under this category.

Because I am so confused as to how to organize all this info and for all of us to work together doing so without violating the terms it was suggested that we pick a particular day and time to go into the chat room. WHAT TIME DOES EVERYONE TYPICALLY LOG INTO PTO?

I would like to make the group, but I don't know how I would notify all of you about it if I did

Usually I log in around 5 pm est during the week.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
julylady58

I'm in! My husband is being starved, because they have cut the Texas budget to the inmates, so they are being served only about 1330 calories per day, as opposed to the 2200 they were-- they only serve 2 meals each weekend day (Saturday and Sunday and holidays) and no special holiday dinners for these guys-- the last holiday my husband got 1 hot dog on a stale piece of bread and one teaspoon of beans and one of greens! That's it! no fruit, no goodies at all!
Also no A/C when the temps this summer got over 100 degrees, it was 150 inside the units, where the Admin and guards had a/c where they were, and some inmates died because of it.
Conjugal visits-- non-existent! I get 3 contact (1 hug to say hi and a kiss and one to say goodbye and a kiss, and the guards are vocal if you hold him too long or too tight!) visits and one regular (through the glass) and he has been in 27 mos. On the months where there are 5 Saturdays, we get 2 regular and 3 contacts. Ugh. Phone calls are about $4.00 for 15 minutes and we get 140 pher month. No 'care packages' allowed. that is about all I can think of. I hope we get this "party" started, because I would love to see the laws changed!
Let the "light offenders" go! The ones who have not committed crimes in over 20 years, let them go!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
What I have also suggested is that everyone writes at least one good papragraph outlining your concerns/what you want included in the petition in Microsoft word. Then the work can be attached to an email and all those "parts" from each member are sent to one person who then does the splicing/editing. Once the splicing/editing is complete, a copy is sent from that one person to everyone in the group--so they can proofread/make any changes (use a different color font for any changes) and send it back to the "editor." etc etc.

One word of caution.....please do not post your email addy on the open boards. This is the www and posting of your personal email addy invites spammers/trolls to your inbox . Please contact each other via the pm system if you want to swap email addys
Yes, this was mentioned too ARE YOU GUYS GAME?
Thanks Patchouli for all of your support and guidance! Ladies (wish we had some men ) we really have a great moderator keeping an eye on us...so please cooperate and give Patchouli some props!
The Following User Says Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluvrae View Post
Usually I log in around 5 pm est during the week.
Thanks for that. Me, personally I'm usually on in the early am like 3-5am.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

P.S. I've recently noticed the donation gold bar can you tell me more about this?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julylady58 View Post
I'm in! My husband is being starved, because they have cut the Texas budget to the inmates, so they are being served only about 1330 calories per day, as opposed to the 2200 they were-- they only serve 2 meals each weekend day (Saturday and Sunday and holidays) and no special holiday dinners for these guys-- the last holiday my husband got 1 hot dog on a stale piece of bread and one teaspoon of beans and one of greens! That's it! no fruit, no goodies at all!
Also no A/C when the temps this summer got over 100 degrees, it was 150 inside the units, where the Admin and guards had a/c where they were, and some inmates died because of it.
Conjugal visits-- non-existent! I get 3 contact (1 hug to say hi and a kiss and one to say goodbye and a kiss, and the guards are vocal if you hold him too long or too tight!) visits and one regular (through the glass) and he has been in 27 mos. On the months where there are 5 Saturdays, we get 2 regular and 3 contacts. Ugh. Phone calls are about $4.00 for 15 minutes and we get 140 pher month. No 'care packages' allowed. that is about all I can think of. I hope we get this "party" started, because I would love to see the laws changed!
Let the "light offenders" go! The ones who have not committed crimes in over 20 years, let them go!
Well alright firecracker let's get it poppin' then! My baby is being starved too. He already basically is eating vegetarian because he is Jewish and a huge percent of the food is pork based. Not to mention it should be a no brainer then men trapped in a box are more likely to workout and thus need more calories to burn as the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. It really depresses him that yet another holiday is approaching and he is still locked up I'm not saying it needs to be Martha Stuart up in there,but a special meal for the holiday just seems like common decency to me. No, one should have to die due to temperature control issues.

Do you just get yelled at if you hug him to long? What happens if you hug him too long all the time? Girl hug your man extra long for me to make up for the fact I can't hug or kiss my man lol! I mean what are they going to really do about it? It's not like you are trying to make a baby right in front of them.
I wish so much I could send care packages. I'm not Suzy Homemaker,but I think it's nice for people who are, to send homemade blankets and for little ones to send macaroni art from school etc. Honey, I think we really got a fighting chance now that you walked onto the scene! Let's get this "party" started! What do you want to do first?
Light offenders and first time offenders should be given some slack I feel. Although I do not blame the repeat offenders either when your released with $100 or less at the gate and told to start your life over, it's hard not to fall on a slippery slope of old habits. We need to rebirth this country and start over on a lot of things. Treating people like human beings and giving them the right tools to succeed is a d@mn good start!

Last edited by cornellcutie1; 10-28-2011 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM

I have a new complaint, More has happened, A guy in jail with my man was just bonded out and he had 3 counts of crack possesion, probation violation HE IS WHITE, (What on earth, This is so crazy, I don't understand it, Black, White, Asian, Latino, What is wrong with people, We are the same, Just because your a different skin color who cares, they should be treated the same) My man is only in for 3rd count of public intox on private property/ probation violation that's all! Also he got locked down today because they did a search of his cell and found an extra ink pen and he was only suppose to have 1 not 2. OMG!! I am furious, i don't want to just sit and keep quiet, I want stand up for all this discrimination, inhumane treatment and injustice, If I don't who will, It's not just my man it's alot of inmates there I talked too the other ladies when i go up and visit him.