Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klewis View Post
Well I know my Fiance' works on the kitchen floor and he does not get paid nothing. What kills me is they know him to be a hard worker. So if he is a hard worker for free why can't the parole board see that he would be a hard worker to provide for his family. My complaint is what almost got voted on and that is to release our loved ones on their Projected Release Date it is sad that our loved ones is doing more then 80% of their time. I do not know for sure how the parole board work but if a inmate can show that they have reformed by taking classes and making the Dean's list, taking parenting classes, getting a OJT certificate and staying out of trouble shouldn't that count for something. A

Also I don't like how women get better treatment then men when it comes to their children. When a woman get locked up there is so many programs they can do to get time off so they can get back home to their child. My Fiance' just found out that our daughter was his and yet even me writing the parole board and explaining how our daughter is 16 and she needs to get a chance to bond with him and have him in her life he still got denied. He might make it home in time to see her graduate from high school.
Wow, I can't believe he doesn't get paid (well then again maybe I can)! Not even the poor wages another member mentioned that's a shame.
This is a very valid point if I have ever heard one "So if he is a hard worker for free why can't the parole board see that he would be a hard worker to provide for his family." I definitely think those that work hard and work on themselves should get rewarded and those that want to act like rowdy children back in high school who do nothing,but start fights should serve their time until they learn better. All the programs you mentioned are great,but unfortuely nationwide and differ depending on whether it is jail or prison (I'm still trying to get the difference).

I would have never thought to add the issue you mentioned regarding children, it seems rather sexist and old fashioned for our day and age doesn't it? Not to mention not having both parents if both parents are alive and part of the child's life can effect a child for years to come from relationships to life skills.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy4U View Post
It's sad to day DOC is only a place to send our men and woman to never b though of again..like nobody's n hope family forget about them...Sometimes it works...But thanks to wive's, mothers,sisters,girlfriends n friends these souls r not forgotten.
One could say the same about retirement homes. At least with retirement homes when neglect is brought to light people feel compassion to that group. For us and our love ones we face an uphill battle.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdep5 View Post
I would want to add the designation of federal inamtes should put more weight on an inmates familial ties. The BOP states that family/community ties are taken into consideration in designaion but just read around this site and you'll see that they do not. The suggestion that inmates are designated far from family being for security reasons is a pretty weak argument. Each facility has security measures to deter the introduction of contraband. The majority of contraband introduced to secure facilities gets there via personnel, not visitors. My husband was just designated by the BOP to a facility that is over 2,800 miles away. We are from CA and he is currently sitting in PA until his designated facility has space for him (in GA). There is a brand new Federal facility coming online to receive inmates by end of year two and a half hours from where we live. That is rediculous. They bounced him from one county facility to another, always getting farther and farther away until they decided to store him in PA. This is time that he could have sat in a local county facility and be then transferred to ANY of the MULTIPLE federal facilities here in CA. I can drive 7 hours. I can't drive 48 hours and I can't afford air fare, rental car and hotel for myself and our three children. If the prison sysem wanted to rehabilitate inmates, then they would implement best practices with empirically based evidence that shows strengthening familial ties while incarcerated reduces recidivism as well as lessens the traumatic impact of the loss of one parent on children. Stronger families = stronger communities. Seems pretty basic to me. But to keep the money flowing the prisons need to show need for more staff, higher wages, more beds. Its all crap. How about some alternative sentencing? How about more oportunities to earn good time credit (up to the 50-65% mark instead of the unreasonable 85% currently required for federal sentences)? Our country is strapped for funds right? Shorter period of confinement = money saved. Inmates designated closer to home = money saved. Is it too much to ask for a socially and fiscally responsible governance that taks steps to achieve the purpose of incarceration; rehabilitating inmates and creating a safer society?
Amen! This is money right here! I am using a bunch of this when I write the draft. A woman and I were just discussing this last Saturday when I was at my visit. She moved from Ohio and I moved from Chicago (I couldn't afford to, but was forced to by health conditions, it was a bonus that my friend offered to help me out in the same state my man is). In a way though I feel like "someone" (don't know who) would not like low incarceration rates because if there are no "bad guys" then what is the purpose of following a leader if there is nothing really to protect you from? Does that make sense? Regardless we are doing this ladies! With more posts like this, we will have a rock solid petition!

Last edited by cornellcutie1; 10-17-2011 at 12:44 AM..
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoprincess View Post
Loss of freedom will never amount to a "county club"

Consideration of a poll, to pinpoint the top 3 to 5 issues of concern may assist in centralizing the petition. Too many will lose the reader.
Backing up each issue with data, make a convincing argument to sway the reader or at least get those that are not in the choir to consider signing.
I totally agree and I was thinking of this the other night when I thought of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Might I add now that I have been thinking about things I find it totally backwards that ex cons can not get federal funds to go to college if they were convicted. You will give a person "3 hots and a cot" for years, for doing bad, but refuse to give them funds so they can do right? How does that make sense at all? I think I will do a poll later to validate where it seems our group is headed naturally if you read the posts, there seems to be a few trends or things that people relate to already. Or perhaps we can get three main categories and then the lessor issues can be grouped under them. Again DOES EVERYONE HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT? I think we might have to make a Facebook group and create a document we can refer people to in order to understand our issues in their entirety. Loved your analogy by the way!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 AM

Count me in!!!! I'm in So. Cali and it guilty until proven not guilty!! My step son is being charged with assualt and the don't have anything on him!! The so called witnesses have described a totally different person! And they area trying to give him 12 years!!! WTH is wrong with the system!! My husband wash tased 7 times and hot his right hand broken and left one fractured after being arrested and is being charged with assualting a police officer cause the police officer hurt his back!!!! So the judge have him3 yrs state prison because he found out we have filed for a civil case!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanked 1,244 Times in 678 Posts

I believe you can get funds to go to college, you just have to search out grants. If you read some comments posted on the internet you will see the true feeling of how people NOT connected any way with the prison system feels about those incarcerated now and ex-offenders having access to college without paying, when they have to pay for their children to attend. The people that will rally to your cause will most likely be people connected in some way with the prison system. Those that are not, are pretty harsh in the way they view offenders. There is a letter on PTO somewhere titled "We are everywhere" it is a very good letter to read. I am sure before any one of us had anything to do with the system we had a whole different outlook. I, for one, did not know anything at all about prisons or the treatment of offenders before my son went in, now I am outraged at some of the treatment that goes on.
Why are these same people kept in the prison system that are doing a poor job of running things?? Housecleaning needs to start at the top and work it's way down and get a system that actually works. That's my
Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Default petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellcutie1 View Post
Mine too he is not sentenced yet been in for over a year already. They say he is likely to be in for 3 before he even gets a trial date. Right to a fast and speedy trial, I think not!
we need a petition....my son is in the hole for filling complaints..He is in RCI in wisconsin. dormant
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM

I really believe that the three strikes and then you get life rule here in Mississippi is ridiculous. Say someone catches two felonies when they're twenty years old and they learn their lesson and walk the straight and narrow after that. Then say that ten years later, they find out that they're wife is cheating and they get into a physical altercation with the guy and the guy calls the cops so then a third felony is caught. There are just so many scenarios that do not require such harsh sentencing. I could understand a three time rapist, child molester, assaults, or any other sort of violent crime, but other situations just do not need such sentencing.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'angel View Post
Count me in!!!! I'm in So. Cali and it guilty until proven not guilty!! My step son is being charged with assualt and the don't have anything on him!! The so called witnesses have described a totally different person! And they area trying to give him 12 years!!! WTH is wrong with the system!! My husband wash tased 7 times and hot his right hand broken and left one fractured after being arrested and is being charged with assualting a police officer cause the police officer hurt his back!!!! So the judge have him3 yrs state prison because he found out we have filed for a civil case!!!!
That is very intense I have never been a supporter of tasing at all. Don't they have enough tools to make an arrest as it is? The loyalty and commradery for being "blue" makes me disgusted and I have seen it first hand with drunk driving officers being told to "take it easy" on their ride home by fellow cops.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montysmom View Post
I believe you can get funds to go to college, you just have to search out grants. If you read some comments posted on the internet you will see the true feeling of how people NOT connected any way with the prison system feels about those incarcerated now and ex-offenders having access to college without paying, when they have to pay for their children to attend. The people that will rally to your cause will most likely be people connected in some way with the prison system. Those that are not, are pretty harsh in the way they view offenders. There is a letter on PTO somewhere titled "We are everywhere" it is a very good letter to read. I am sure before any one of us had anything to do with the system we had a whole different outlook. I, for one, did not know anything at all about prisons or the treatment of offenders before my son went in, now I am outraged at some of the treatment that goes on.
Why are these same people kept in the prison system that are doing a poor job of running things?? Housecleaning needs to start at the top and work it's way down and get a system that actually works. That's my
Hmmm grants maybe,but not Federal FinAid money right? I'm not saying ex cons should get prferential treatment I'm just saying they should get a fair shake is all. I don't need to read comments on the net I know as everyone here knows what other people think of the prison system. Heck, as I've said before to other posts I was ignorant once too I'm not going to lie. This petition needs to act as a mini educational class to the masses of just how unjust things are. Sure I had to put myself through college,but I'm not going to bellyhoo if someone worked hard and got money for themselves to better themselves and other's lives that's just selfish. If you can find that letter and post the link I think that would be a great share for everyone here! This is something I ask myself a lot!"Why are these same people kept in the prison system that are doing a poor job of running things??" Loved your 2 cents especially since it was illustrated
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
we need a petition....my son is in the hole for filling complaints..He is in RCI in wisconsin. dormant
I've heard this before, in fact we have experienced it (but I was the one who complained, he just received the wrath). I hate to say it,but if he got the hole he's a bit lucky, a lot worse has been done and it's never fair when it's 2 or more CO's against a lone inmate. I'm not saying that anyone is really "lucky" of course this group is to show and share just how bad things have got "in there" wherever your "in there" might be.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baubles View Post
I really believe that the three strikes and then you get life rule here in Mississippi is ridiculous. Say someone catches two felonies when they're twenty years old and they learn their lesson and walk the straight and narrow after that. Then say that ten years later, they find out that they're wife is cheating and they get into a physical altercation with the guy and the guy calls the cops so then a third felony is caught. There are just so many scenarios that do not require such harsh sentencing. I could understand a three time rapist, child molester, assaults, or any other sort of violent crime, but other situations just do not need such sentencing.
Hmmm interesting, what do you think about the other discussions we have talked about regarding sentencing in this thread?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHisHands2 View Post
I'm still new at all of this, but I do have a few observations.

My first complaint would be that when they do work (which I thought they all had to unless there was a medical reason not to) they only get $.12 / hr or if they are really lucky and in unicor I hear they can make a whopping $.40/hr or something like that. Now some on the outside may say that they don't have to pay for room or board, but I'm sure most (or probably all) of our LO would rather pay for better food and lodging. And from what I understand they do not receive anything else without paying for it (toiletries, health supplies, etc) So how is it that at $.12/hr they are suppose to be able to get what they need. This is slave labor!! My husband told me he would have to work for 3 days to buy 1 can of tuna fish!! He would have to work 5 days to afford to see a nurse!! If society had to pay a weeks salary to see a doctor there would definitely be an uproar about it! So I think it's great they are required to work, and think they should, but I also feel they should be able to at least be close to minimum wage. Even $5/hr would be better. I don't have a problem with them being required to purchase their needs, but they should be paid a fair wage if they are expected to purchase items "at our local grocery store costs" prices. Or else they should reduce the price of commissary items at the same % they discount their earnings (Minimum wage is $7.25 so at $.12/hr they are making 1.6% of minimum wage!!!) So that $1 item should only cost them a penny or two at the most. How are they getting away with slave labor?!?

My second concern would also be with segregation, but in a slightly different format than what was mentioned earlier. How about segregation by crime? It scares me half to death to think that someone with a low or non-violent crime could be in with someone who committed a high violence crime. I am not trying to compare the crimes and say one is better than another, but I do think that if someone is not violent to start with they aren't very likely to become violent unless necessary to protect themselves. And I also believe that someone with a violent crime history could prove that he's changed and not a threat to anyone after observation, therapy or something. But I hear lots of issues, especially with SO charges of the SO being attacked for their crime (which could be peeing in public) because they are assumed the worse of the worse, these people should be separated if not specifically by their crime at least by some type of evaluation determining the likely hood of them causing issues in the jail. If you can determine people who truly don't care what others are in for, and simply want to do their time and move on.

Third would also be a repeat on here - the food! My husband has been in custody for 6 months and has lost almost 40-50 lbs. Not only is the food terrible, but there is no way that it is enough to support an adult male. For breakfast he receives powered eggs that wouldn't even equate to one egg, and grits that's equal to maybe a couple of tablespoons, and then usually 2 slices of bread, but one day they didn't have bread so they got 2 saltine crackers. And that is suppose to hold them over for 7 hours! Oh sorry I forgot the sugar water that has a drop of food color in it.

Fourth ~ Air Conditioning ~ let's just call this appropriate climate control. Now I know what's appropriate is going to be different for everyone, but I would think maybe 70 or 75 degrees should be acceptable to most. My husband's unit is kept at an unreasonable 58-62...he is freezing! (of course with the fact that's he's lost so much weight and literally has no insulation doesn't help!). He has literally noticed his fingernail beds turning blue. How can this be acceptable?

I also agree about the family visits. But have a few options to this remedy. As I understand it (since I don't have experience yet I could be totally wrong) regular visits (at least at the federal level which is where we're at) most medium or low levels can have contact visits, but are only allowed to kiss and hug at the beginning and end of the visit. I can understand not wanting to have people groping at each other, or being to sexual (I certainly don't want to see it) but we should be able to hold hands through out visits, and a quick peck of a kiss throughout the visit I don't think is any big deal (now if you spend your whole time doing a tonsilectomy with your tongue that's a different story). Also I can understand the need to limit visitations because of overcrowding (another issue in itself), but if there's room for a person to visit I don't think they should be so limited. It seems to me that at most federal facilities you will be luck to have one or two visits a week because of points that need to be used for visits. For example if they receive 10 points, but it cost 2 points for a weekend visit and 1 for a weekday, you would only be allowed to visit four weekend days and two weekdays a month (given that the weekday visits aren't from 8am-3pm as I'm finding is the case in a lot of places) So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would be all for family visits (understanding that's were a family spends an overnight with their loved one?), but if that's not an option, maybe more flexibility on regular visits. I understand the safety factors, but really how can my holding my husbands hand or giving him a quick kiss cause any safety issues? And if I happen to move to be closer to my husband so that I can visit him more often why not let me come and go, I would be more willing to not stay all day, and allow for others to visit if I knew I could come back tomorrow. Also it seems almost evil to have the only visit days that are fewer points to be during hours when most people are working, why not have weekday visits run at night.

Well I'm sure that I'll encounter many more issues as time progresses, but being a newbie these are the ones I can think of. Hope it helps. And I too will help with what I can.
Here is a link to an article to an article which refers to our loved ones in prison as slave labor http://www.infowars.com/the-prison-i...rm-of-slavery/ it is an older article but still applicable if not more so.

I believe what we as a group on pto are trying to do is a good thing, and I, for one will try to do whatever I can to help.

I am new to all of this also. My husband has been incarcerated for nearly a year now. He's not new to the system, but boy oh boy am I. It's true, that before I was directly affected by the prison system I didn't know much about it and really hadn't given prison a lot of "thought". So, with that said, I truely feel education is the key. Educating ourselves about everything prison, then educating others, people need to care in order to want to change the system. So, by getting our stories out there hopefully we will "cause" people to know and care thus warranting changes in this system. A system that has gone way gone.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Kluvrae, when you said you had not given prison a lot of "thought" until you were directly affected, I think most certainly that is true for the majority of us here. I know I did not know, care, or as you say even give it a thought until my son was incarcerated. When I was growing up I did not know anyone that was or had been in prison, and I guess if I think back on it if someone said a person moved in our neighborhood had been in prison I would have been very leery of them. It also seems that back then people that were in, or ever had been in prison were few and far between. It seems like these days it is so common and not even suprising to have a family member in prison, and yet those that are not connected in any way still look down on those that have been incarcerated. It will be very hard to change the way people feel towards those that have been in prison, they won't know how we feel until it actually happens to them. They just don't know how easy it is to become one of us.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluvrae View Post
Here is a link to an article to an article which refers to our loved ones in prison as slave labor http://www.infowars.com/the-prison-i...rm-of-slavery/ it is an older article but still applicable if not more so.

I believe what we as a group on pto are trying to do is a good thing, and I, for one will try to do whatever I can to help.

I am new to all of this also. My husband has been incarcerated for nearly a year now. He's not new to the system, but boy oh boy am I. It's true, that before I was directly affected by the prison system I didn't know much about it and really hadn't given prison a lot of "thought". So, with that said, I truely feel education is the key. Educating ourselves about everything prison, then educating others, people need to care in order to want to change the system. So, by getting our stories out there hopefully we will "cause" people to know and care thus warranting changes in this system. A system that has gone way gone.
Thanks for the article I've got it open in another window and will read as soon as all of you get a personal answer! What you wrote touched my heart and of course I totally relate! Let me know what your skills or strengths are so I can tell you how you can help!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montysmom View Post
Kluvrae, when you said you had not given prison a lot of "thought" until you were directly affected, I think most certainly that is true for the majority of us here. I know I did not know, care, or as you say even give it a thought until my son was incarcerated. When I was growing up I did not know anyone that was or had been in prison, and I guess if I think back on it if someone said a person moved in our neighborhood had been in prison I would have been very leery of them. It also seems that back then people that were in, or ever had been in prison were few and far between. It seems like these days it is so common and not even suprising to have a family member in prison, and yet those that are not connected in any way still look down on those that have been incarcerated. It will be very hard to change the way people feel towards those that have been in prison, they won't know how we feel until it actually happens to them. They just don't know how easy it is to become one of us.
Here is a thought too regarding what both of you addressed: My loved one is sitting and waiting to be sentenced his offense is his first ever. Before this he has not so much as had a speeding ticket! So, when he tried to wrap his head around what it was like from my view he could not relate as he has never had anyone he knew in prison friend, lover, or otherwise. When I told him of this site he flipped out at first and asked me in not so nice words why I needed a support group and "what is so awful that you are going through?". Well, one visit he told me he had really been trying to see things from my lens and he couldn't,but when he did try he realized it is terrible the position I am in (as all of you are as well). Doesn't it tear you apart to look at them through that glass and want to touch them, hold them, brush their face just so they know you are there for them, and you can't? Millimeters away in a pane of glass and yet so far away....
The Following User Says Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
montysmom (10-19-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
By responding you are already in! Please spread the word about what we are doing here in other threads you are a part of or with other members on this site. Family and friends of you and your loved one can join as well. So, it seems Family Visits are something a lot us desire. I will be sure to highlight that in the draft. I agree with you people hear conjugal and their mind is one tracked. AC in "hot states" seems to be another key concern too. My love has also mentioned the incompetency of the medical staff not to mention the lack of staff in that department as well. Please don't hold anything back list any and all scenarios you have experienced. All info and data is useful in creating this petition. The more examples with real life stories the more we flesh this problem out and the more real it becomes to recruit allies for our cause.
I am from Texas and it is terrible in the Summer with no A/C and many with health issues sometimes die because of it. My son has also mentioned that the health care is poor since the doctor they use does not even care about the inmates. It just isn't right. I would like to help in anyway I can.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb50 View Post
I am from Texas and it is terrible in the Summer with no A/C and many with health issues sometimes die because of it. My son has also mentioned that the health care is poor since the doctor they use does not even care about the inmates. It just isn't right. I would like to help in anyway I can.
Thanks so much I appreciate your wanting to help! What are your strong suits how do you think you can help this process?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:21 AM

Everyone just wanted to say that I think I need to establish an invite only group on Facebook regarding our work here. I think it will be a better way to store our research and start drafting parts of the petition. Who has a Facebook account here? P.M. me with your info so I can invite you please!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Where to begin?

I think that substance abuse treatment is beyond necessary. Also programming to help inmates readjust to society. Life skills like money management and job hunting. "Deinstitutionalization" classes. Adjustment from time in solitary. Inmates are sometimes released directly from "the hole" with no adjustment.

Guards lie, tease and mistreat inmates and no one cares because they committed crimes. Sensitivity training and counseling should be required of guards. The power alone can affect them (google Stanford prison experiment).

The phone calls costs someone mentioned. The companies that offer this have monopolies and can charge anything they want. We will pay it because we need to talk to them and they need to talk to us. But families that struggle financially are forced to choose between paying bills and phone calls that maintain the connection between families and help inmates stay focused, grounded and encouraged - studies have shown that fewer visits and phone calls

Mail delays. Lost mail.

Safety issues in transport vehicles (seatbelts, lack of accident procedures)

I read a book a while ago about the effects of imprisonment on people. I will see if I can find the title.

Programming & counseling after prison to readjust to society.

Many prisons here make inmates wait until they are within a year of release to have programming. I know an inmate doing 5 years for vehicular manslaughter and is in desperate need of grief counseling because the deceased was her child. She is not eligible to get any assistance yet.

CO's should be required to treat inmates respectfully. Calling inmates "pieces of sh@$" and the like should be met with consequences.

At the prison my fiance is at, he is allowed a "quick peck" and a quick hug. Last visit he got yelled at because he hugged me for too long - the hug maybe lasted 10 seconds. He was told he could hold my hand but not rub it. At his reception prison he was screamed at by a guard who threatened to remove me from his visit list because we were kissing inappropriately. I understand there are security risks but these people need a little human contact.

It is October and these guys are always freezing. They are given one thin blanket and a coat, which they are not allowed to wear if the guards decide it isn't cold enough.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkgirl View Post
Where to begin?

I think that substance abuse treatment is beyond necessary. Also programming to help inmates readjust to society. Life skills like money management and job hunting. "Deinstitutionalization" classes. Adjustment from time in solitary. Inmates are sometimes released directly from "the hole" with no adjustment.

Guards lie, tease and mistreat inmates and no one cares because they committed crimes. Sensitivity training and counseling should be required of guards. The power alone can affect them (google Stanford prison experiment).

The phone calls costs someone mentioned. The companies that offer this have monopolies and can charge anything they want. We will pay it because we need to talk to them and they need to talk to us. But families that struggle financially are forced to choose between paying bills and phone calls that maintain the connection between families and help inmates stay focused, grounded and encouraged - studies have shown that fewer visits and phone calls

Mail delays. Lost mail.

Safety issues in transport vehicles (seatbelts, lack of accident procedures)

I read a book a while ago about the effects of imprisonment on people. I will see if I can find the title.

Programming & counseling after prison to readjust to society.

Many prisons here make inmates wait until they are within a year of release to have programming. I know an inmate doing 5 years for vehicular manslaughter and is in desperate need of grief counseling because the deceased was her child. She is not eligible to get any assistance yet.

CO's should be required to treat inmates respectfully. Calling inmates "pieces of sh@$" and the like should be met with consequences.

At the prison my fiance is at, he is allowed a "quick peck" and a quick hug. Last visit he got yelled at because he hugged me for too long - the hug maybe lasted 10 seconds. He was told he could hold my hand but not rub it. At his reception prison he was screamed at by a guard who threatened to remove me from his visit list because we were kissing inappropriately. I understand there are security risks but these people need a little human contact.

It is October and these guys are always freezing. They are given one thin blanket and a coat, which they are not allowed to wear if the guards decide it isn't cold enough.
Where to begin? is right I felt overwhelmed when I though of starting this thread,but I knew it had to be done. I have mentioned this to acquaintances and many have told me it is not going to fix anything that the system is broken and beyond repair. I however, do not believe that it is indeed broken, but that does not mean it can not be fixed it just needs the right "repairman" with the skill set to do it. I feel the very shackles that bind us and our loved ones will be the motivation that we will leverage to remedy all the situations we are addressing here. I can't tell you, all of you how touched I am with you being open and honest with your experiences, and all of the help you are offering. There are so many skill sets represented here and so many have you have PMed me asking how you can do more. I am honored to work with all of you on this project I know we have a good team here!

With that being said yes substance abuse needs to be addressed, but really I think there are deeper seeds planted there. Substance abuse stems from greater things, and a place of pain. That is what needs to be addressed, I'm tired of all of us in this day and age just throwing on the band-aids. That's why we end up with people doing bad things, because no one will step up and deal with the real issues the root of the problems.

Your thoughts on programming are spot on. My last visit with my BF was a low point again because he is letting himself be brainwashed about the life in there vs out here. "You can't be nice to people" he says "that's what makes them think they can take advantage of you". This is coming from a veteran who served our country, and even started a charity to help his brothers and sisters in service help there families with issues they faced after war. Prison from my experience turns hearts of gold into hearts that are cold. And then we wonder why there are repeat offenders, gee I wonder?

Obviously this whole nation needs life skills as no one seems to have a lick of financial literacy as our current crisis suggests. So, it should go without saying that if it effects us our here it is 10x worse in there.Your additions and thoughts were sorely needed.

When it comes to guards we need to have a complete rehaul because I believe if you tell a bunch of them they need sensitivity training they will scoff in your face. The type of training you mentioned should be a requirement,but I think the bad seeds need to be removed before they damage the rest of the crop too. Thanks for the source!

Monopolies are never good especially when it is for something that is deemed almost as much as a necessity like food and water especially for those who got transferred out of state away from their families.

If you can find that book title that would be great!

What you spoke about involving your contact visit just seems petty.

I'm sure if prisons were run like some of our households the fat in the budget would be found and eliminated and spent on things that were more beneficial.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 AM

my husband is in ohio. He grew some plants in out up stairs closet. he had kidney cancer and had lost 60 lbs and he was weak. we live in a small town. my husband is 60 and i am 64 and had a stroke. we have been married 33 years and never been apart.i know it was wrong that he did it but we wanted him to put his weight back on and be strung enough to go through surgery. they saw it though the upstairs window using binocolars. he got one year and 5000 dollar fine , never been in trouble and the charge was cultivation only
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Where to begin? is right I felt overwhelmed when I though of starting this thread,but I knew it had to be done. I have mentioned this to acquaintances and many have told me it is not going to fix anything that the system is broken and beyond repair. I however, do not believe that it is indeed broken, but that does not mean it can not be fixed it just needs the right "repairman" with the skill set to do it. I feel the very shackles that bind us and our loved ones will be the motivation that we will leverage to remedy all the situations we are addressing here. I can't tell you, all of you how touched I am with you being open and honest with your experiences, and all of the help you are offering. There are so many skill sets represented here and so many have you have PMed me asking how you can do more. I am honored to work with all of you on this project I know we have a good team here!

With that being said yes substance abuse needs to be addressed, but really I think there are deeper seeds planted there. Substance abuse stems from greater things, and a place of pain. That is what needs to be addressed, I'm tired of all of us in this day and age just throwing on the band-aids. That's why we end up with people doing bad things, because no one will step up and deal with the real issues the root of the problems.

Your thoughts on programming are spot on. My last visit with my BF was a low point again because he is letting himself be brainwashed about the life in there vs out here. "You can't be nice to people" he says "that's what makes them think they can take advantage of you". This is coming from a veteran who served our country, and even started a charity to help his brothers and sisters in service help there families with issues they faced after war. Prison from my experience turns hearts of gold into hearts that are cold. And then we wonder why there are repeat offenders, gee I wonder?

Obviously this whole nation needs life skills as no one seems to have a lick of financial literacy as our current crisis suggests. So, it should go without saying that if it effects us our here it is 10x worse in there.Your additions and thoughts were sorely needed.

When it comes to guards we need to have a complete rehaul because I believe if you tell a bunch of them they need sensitivity training they will scoff in your face. The type of training you mentioned should be a requirement,but I think the bad seeds need to be removed before they damage the rest of the crop too. Thanks for the source!

Monopolies are never good especially when it is for something that is deemed almost as much as a necessity like food and water especially for those who got transferred out of state away from their families.

If you can find that book title that would be great!

What you spoke about involving your contact visit just seems petty.

I'm sure if prisons were run like some of our households the fat in the budget would be found and eliminated and spent on things that were more beneficial.
To touch on a couple of things in your post, when you say getting to the root of the problem concerning substance abuse, in my sons case, he uses alcohol at times to overcome the swings in mood due to Bipolar and I am sure there are many more people that have issues that they try to cover up with drugs. No one really cares about that they just want to put them in prison and do not address the problem.
The other thing you mentioned, about the fat in the budget, I can guarantee it is at the top of the chain of command. One other thing I would like to touch on, is the training of the CO's, I think the new boots are ill trained and way too young, but to be fair there are many CO's that do follow policy, rules, regulations etc, they are just few and far between. I am sure the CO's that do follow the rules would like the others that do not, out of the prisons just as much as we want that. If we really knew what was going on behind the scenes at TDC we would be way more angry than we are right now.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
At Last!

I would also like to be a part of this, a lot of you mention a/c well where my man is at which is the hole they always had to have the a/c on and he was in nothing but boxers and well here in Cali it's not always hot and when it gets cold it gets cold but somehow he had gotten used to it. Also, he had a situation in his cell where a pipe had broke and water was everywhere so obviously he was pissed and because the day before he kept telling the co's about it and they did nothing, he kept asking for towels and no one would listen so the following day it was flooded and he started talking $hit and they had the swat team come in and restrain him he got his visits and commissary taken away for two weeks they told him it would of been 6 mos. of no visits and commissary but that they realize they had some fault and he shouldn't have reacted the way that he did. Come on now REALLY? how was he supposed to react....Anyway inhumane treatment is a big one, also the food they serve them how can anyone survive on peanut butter and jelly...I would also ask for more educational classes my man wants to take college courses but it's not always allowed, so that a good one too. A lot of these inmates are really smart and would like to further their education. They should have more programs to distract all the enemosity in prison. He's been in for 3 years and is still in reception awaiting to go do the rest of his time in a federal prison. I too haven't touched him since 2009 and can't wait for this to pass....so I'm with you gals on this

I love you baby! You and I til the End of our time....

Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Joyce View Post
my husband is in ohio. He grew some plants in out up stairs closet. he had kidney cancer and had lost 60 lbs and he was weak. we live in a small town. my husband is 60 and i am 64 and had a stroke. we have been married 33 years and never been apart.i know it was wrong that he did it but we wanted him to put his weight back on and be strung enough to go through surgery. they saw it though the upstairs window using binocolars. he got one year and 5000 dollar fine , never been in trouble and the charge was cultivation only
Are you saying he was using the plants for medicinal purposes?