Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephlvsKuddy View Post
I am so in, where do I start???
Welcome to The Tea Party. The best way to start is to visit our website and then contact your state chairperson. Please make sure you sign the Guest Book also.

Some of the states are active, while others are not. You can flip through the states to see which states have things going.

There will be a new letter campaign soon - so check back often.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
ccnrly
Donation Award 

Whats the website?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

The website is down right now - but it should be back up next week. www.21stCenturyTeaParty.us
Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,378 Posts

What's the latest with the January mailing?? I'm here, ready, willing and able!!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24jf View Post
What's the latest with the January mailing?? I'm here, ready, willing and able!!
Well, I'm about ready to put up the new legislator information for California. There were a lot of changes in the November election and they just got around to posting all of them on their site.

I mean gee - do they really expect anyone to look at the site between the election and the New Year? Guess not LOL.

So any of you State Chairs out there - get your legislator addresses updated and be ready to go.

Now that the Holiday is over........it's time to get to work!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,414 Posts

I have the list of the Correctional Policy Advisory Council...in PDF whenever you get ready for it...

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

The updated addresses for California are now up on the website. This will give you an idea of how the addresses should be laid out. If you want, you can give me a single column list and I will modify it to this format.

State Chairs - please pick your "Top Ten (or Twenty)" Legislators. These should be the "heavy hitters" on committees that directly influence prisons.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Question... There is a petition that has been put online to End Mandatory Parole in Colorado.. could the link to the petition website be added to the Colorado section on the TEA site without much work??
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

I can't open the Cali State Senators. I get a message the file is either corrupted or incorrect file type. (and you know I can open word or works docs)

Same thing with the Assembly members, but I can open us legs and top ten with no problem.

Just remember, folks that don't have word won't be able to open these files. I guess wait and see if it's a huge problem...alot more have word these days.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

Last edited by Anjewel; 01-03-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoogaBritches View Post
I can't open the Cali State Senators. I get a message the file is either corrupted or incorrect file type. (and you know I can open word or works docs)

Same thing with the Assembly members, but I can open us legs and top ten with no problem.

Just remember, folks that don't have word won't be able to open these files. I guess wait and see if it's a huge problem...alot more have word these days.
I just clicked on it and opened it with no problem. Hmmmmmm I wonder if it was a temporary glitch - or do we need to replace it?

I'm noticing some of the type on the front page seems to have "moved" - if it hasn't corrected by Monday, I'll fix it all then
Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

I just tried and received the corrupt file message
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Oh I know; I know lets put more than one of every one hundred americans in prison and treat them really; really; really poorly...mess up their minds really badly; scar them for life; treat them like animals in a cage calling them worthless and then let's let ninety seven percent of those out to live on the streets again. Then let's all sit around with the politicians and talk about how prison reform is so unneccessary...I wonder if Governor Blagojevich is thinking about prison reform these days and those tough sentencing laws.

I continue to be amazed...more than one of every one hundred Americans incarcerated nationwide kind of sounds like an epidemic doomed to be the undoing of us all if we don't do something to change that yet the heart of every election continues to be at some Roe Vs Wade argument and the merits of the death penalty which is a nice way of avoiding the fact that more than one of every one hundred Americans is incarcerated.

I just wonder how it is that all those people in prison makes America a better place to be. Absent fathers; lost children; broken marriages...we've done a fine job. The land of the free is no more...we can't even run a red light at three in the morning anymore.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:00 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

A stray thought which I thought worthy of placing here. This might well be worth considering as the subject of a future campaign:

Part of the Geneva Convention which protects the rights of prisoners of war provides for members of the International Red Cross to visit such prisoners and provide neutral oversight of their treatment (this was one of the provisions which the outgoing administration actually agreed to for Guantanamo Bay, I believe). As it happens, the Red Cross is one of many organizations which has expressed great concern over the treatment of certain U.S. prisoners.

Perhaps what is needed is a Red Cross authority which monitors civilian prison conditions as well (by no means only in the United States!). The United States is a signatory to the Geneva Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and any number of human rights agreements which designate the Red Cross and other organizations to act as observers. I don't know all the fine points of the law here, but perhaps a petition to the Red Cross for help, accompanied by letters to government officials asking that they support such a petition, would at least raise some attention.

I do not think "working through the system" at least at the level of prison staff, is likely to be enough. What is needed is someone to literally guard the guards.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (01-03-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Default Tea

Just an FYI you may wish to change the 'tea' aspect of your campaign. Many people are having or talking about having 'Tea Parties' for totally different reasons. They are getting much more exposure than you are via the media ect. I'm afraid your protest will not be noticed in the flood of tea from other groups.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Ron Paul was using the term before we started--we didn't discover that until matters were well underway. And I believe some advocates for the legalization of marijuana have used the name as well. However....we have the web site and the domain name and to my mind it seems best to stick with it. If any other members have thoughts on the idea, though, we should discuss it.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

I think all the more exposure if someone goes searching for a 'tea party'....

Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 AM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG View Post
Just an FYI you may wish to change the 'tea' aspect of your campaign. Many people are having or talking about having 'Tea Parties' for totally different reasons. They are getting much more exposure than you are via the media ect. I'm afraid your protest will not be noticed in the flood of tea from other groups.

The more "tea parties" the better!! If someone does a search on tea parties, then hopefully they will fall upon ours and read up on it!!

The more the merrier when it comes to Tea Parties, right!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

The 21st Century Tea Party is gearing up for it's 2nd big campaign "Abolish the Death Penalty".

Our suggested letter can be found here: http://www.21stcenturyteaparty.net/DeathPenalty.html
Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Does it not make sense that in this day of no money and Obama going crazy with federal money spending more in 4 months in office than all of every other president combined. We could save so much money by keeping non violent Trully non violent offenders at home on serving a house arrest. But no we would rather spend 5 times as much to house them in prison and then give them more in health insurance cost then anyone on the outside can afford. And then they want to give more like yoga classes to prisoners come on is this really using commen sense?????