Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Default Collect Call Phone Services

Hi All,

I am new to this site and my grandson is in Maplehurst at present waiting trial. sigh...... sad, emotional, and ticked....definitely a roller coaster ride and I would love for all of us to get off it.

Anyways point of this post is I have sifted through some posts looking for phone deals.
As it is costing my more than I can afford.
Yet I know how important it is for him to be able to talk to family.

So which is the better deal
Inside Phone
or
Trapp Call or is that just American
or
Vantage cell Phone

My bills are now just down to two hundred and that is to much. I nearly fell of my chair when the first bill came in over four hundred......omg

Please let me know your thoughts on which one is the better deal.
Don't include the tooney Tuesdays as the perk as my grandson would like to call everyday sometimes more than once. I need a general overall choice.

thank you

Last edited by momentintime; 11-19-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,744 Posts

Hi there... I'm not at all familiar with Canadian phone systems. I'm going to move your thread to the Canada forum. Hopefully someone there can help you out! Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMe123 For This Useful Post:
momentintime (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 AM

We are in Canada and Trappcall works well for us.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Smile Phone calls

My son is at frontenac and before that at MAU - we just got a phone card and it costs 11cents a minute. At MAU he had to add money on only at certain times so he had to be careful of his minutes. At Frontenac he can add money on whenever he likes. At first they want to talk everyday and sometimes more than once. After awhile they become more " involved" and don't call as often. My son calls 2/3 times a week. He is involved in a work program/ library taking courses/ playing sports etc. Once he didn't call for 9 days and I was really worried- he was so busy the time flew by. get him to ask about a calling card.
Sandy
Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Hi Sandy,
Do you know if they have calling cards at Maplehurst, CNCC and CECC. Take care.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahin View Post
Hi Sandy,
Do you know if they have calling cards at Maplehurst, CNCC and CECC. Take care.
Have no idea- don't even know where Maplehurst is.
Take care.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Call there and ask to talk to someone in visitation and corospondance. they can tell u about the phone card dates and if its avaible. we use the phone card system its way cheaper then collect calls. and easy to use. but becarful about the dates when u can add money on and budget your time accodingly. our rate out here in alberta is 10 cent a min which isnt too bad. when he was in remand we were paying 7.25 for 20 mins of collect calling
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 PM

My boyfriend is also at Maplehurst. I got Trapp Call. It cost $25 to register, $3.00 a month to keep the number, $1.50 to connect the call, and 12.5 cents per minute. So far it's been good for me. When I called Maplehurst they told me the only way prisoners can make phone calls is collect. If you need any help with anything let me know. My boyfriend's only been at Maplehurst for 2 weeks, but I am pretty familiar with what goes on!

Last edited by n016s; 11-20-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Rollercoaster Rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentintime View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this site and my grandson is in Maplehurst at present waiting trial. sigh...... sad, emotional, and ticked....definitely a roller coaster ride and I would love for all of us to get off it.

Anyways point of this post is I have sifted through some posts looking for phone deals.

Inside Phone
or
or
Vantage cell Phone

My bills are now just down to two hundred and that is to much. I nearly fell of my chair when the first bill came in over four hundred......omg

Don't include the tooney Tuesdays as the perk as my grandson would like to call everyday sometimes more than once. I need a general overall choice.

thank you
I don't know anything about Inside Phone or Vantage, so I can't offer you any advice on that, but I do use Trappcall, and it's definitely available in Ontario. The service I have received from them has been amazing! It is a pre-paid account, and each 20 minute phone call costs $3.80.
Maybe someone else can comment on those other two phone options, and you can compare.
Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Maple hurst and cecc don't have phone cards Trappcall is good and it's sumthing you can handle its a prepaid account...
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Just wanted to add that TrappCall also offers Toonie Tuesdays in Nov (not sure if they will extend this but hoping they will!), free calls on birthdays (honestly, this can be any day you choose), and they are open 7 days a week with extended hours Mon-Fri (they close at 9pm). But the real big thing about TrappCall is that they make you feel like family. They are always calling up to see how you are doing, to see if you have any problems, to see if you have any concerns, and I think that alone sets them appart not just from other phone companies but other businesses.

You can find them at www.trappcall.com or call them 416-775-3560 or 1-888-266-5128. If you have any questions, let me know as I've been using them for a long time and will be using them for a long time to come.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Rollercoaster Rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlestick View Post
Just wanted to add that TrappCall also offers Toonie Tuesdays in Nov (not sure if they will extend this but hoping they will!), free calls on birthdays (honestly, this can be any day you choose), and they are open 7 days a week with extended hours Mon-Fri (they close at 9pm). But the real big thing about TrappCall is that they make you feel like family. They are always calling up to see how you are doing, to see if you have any problems, to see if you have any concerns, and I think that alone sets them appart not just from other phone companies but other businesses.

You can find them at www.trappcall.com or call them 416-775-3560 or 1-888-266-5128. If you have any questions, let me know as I've been using them for a long time and will be using them for a long time to come.
I totally agree!! I have had amazing service from the people there! They are the best!!
And tomorrow is Toonie Tuesday!! YAYY!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM

I have a friend who is at maplehurst awaiting trial as well...so upset with the situation he is in and trying to find ways to keep in contact I found this phone service:

insidephone.ca?

I am going to write him a letter, maybe send drawings for now but any info would help

Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 PM

I looked into inside phone as well.. but it was going to cost $84 a month and with registration and everything.. $154 which i didn't have upfront. I am thinking I should have gone with that because I am adding more money to my Trappcall account every 2-3 days and we talk about 2-3 times a day
Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Trappcall is Pre-Paid meaning real Pre-Paid service.

What does this mean??

It means that you need very little money to set up the service ($25) and you prepay for each call. If you are paying for your calls every 2 to 3 days (n016s) its very simple and means that you are talking it up and using up the credits that you have.

Other services hit you with the 'overage' bill at the end of the month becuase they do not have real time billing while with Trappcall what you have is what you use, there is no possibility of overage or over use.

Do you want to receive a bill at the end of the month telling you that even though you did prepay $184 you still owe?? Then you are sent to collections and your credit gets involved?? Thats right becuase the other services are not REAL Pre-Paid and they have no way of billing you in Real-Time so they will simply bill you the excess at the end of the month (or whenever).

With Trappcall there is no excess billing, simply put What you Have is What you Use!!. I tried all the other servicesa and as I have stated before I am alsways looking for something better but in my opinion Trappcall is the IPHONE of Collect Calling. I also get $2 for 20 minute calls on Tuesdays (IN REAL TIME) and free BirthDay calling as well with online access to my accounts (I have USA & Canadian A/C with Trappcall) and can call their customerser vice 7 days a week and untill 9 PM on weekdays.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n016s View Post
I looked into inside phone as well.. but it was going to cost $84 a month and with registration and everything.. $154 which i didn't have upfront. I am thinking I should have gone with that because I am adding more money to my Trappcall account every 2-3 days and we talk about 2-3 times a day
n016s, I like your post becuase posts like yours (no offence) always reminds me of a saying my grandmother says, "Feast Today & Famine Tomorrow". Do you know what that means as it relates to your post above?

Let me explain!!

Even if (and I say if) you were paying $3 per call and you are talking 2-3 times a day then you should expect to pay $9 @ day for your calls. At $9 a day you are looking at $270 for the month and thats where you will Feast. But here comes your Famine:- At the bigenning of the month you paid $84 and you enjoyed 2-3 calls a day. What do you think will happen at the end of the month with a non trappcall.com service?

You will Famine when you are presented with a Bill for the difference of $270 - $84 = $186. My point is very similar to the other persons post above meaning that with trappcall.com you do NOT get any surpirse billls at the end of the month. The credits you have on your account is what you get for you of the month. With other services be prepared to get your overage bill (as other poster puts it) and be prepared to pay it as well.

The problem with collect calls is that when we accept calls there is a lot of emotions involved due to the circumstances and so the we do not keep track and so losse count over a period of days and there my friend is how we end up owing tons of $$ for calls at the end of the month.

With trappcall.com it simply is not possible to owe anything becuase it is Pay As You Go and is therefore allowing me to talk within my budget.

Last edited by Candlestick; 11-24-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah I see what you guys are saying. I'm just a full time university student so I am pretty broke (as I'm sure a lot of us have money issues) so I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n016s View Post
Yeah I see what you guys are saying. I'm just a full time university student so I am pretty broke (as I'm sure a lot of us have money issues) so I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option. Thanks for the input!
n016s, if I may make a suggestion for you, which ever service you use try to take advantage of any promotions that they have. For example, I use Trappcall and so i take advantage of the Toonie Tuesdays special that they have for November. I have also called and emailed them begging then to extend Toonie Tuesdays once more so we will see.

Also when I spoke to them this mornig they have FREE set up for any one that needs to receive collect calls from Ottawa. I am not sure why Ottawa folks are so lucky but Ottawa people who need to receive collect calls from Ottawa-Carleton, you are in luck..no set up for you!!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM

from what most people are saying trapp call is the way to go.

Last edited by MissingYou...; 11-29-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Trapp call

Hi I just signed up with trapp call last week and have saved a fortune!!
$25 registration fee and and a 20 minute call will cost you $4.00. Its prepaid so NO surprise bills just an email reminder if your account balance is running low! I definately recomend it as well as you get referrel credits of $20 if someone signs up and uses your name.
The # is 1-888-266-5128
if you could help me out and use my name as a referral i would GREATLY appreciate it....Laurie Schedewitz
The Following User Says Thank You to missin'mikey For This Useful Post:
Lost boy 1980 (06-08-2015)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM

my man is in collins bay in kingston, i have only been learning for a week but what i know so far is that the inmate will pay .11 a minute once they have the phone pin card set up, they can put money on the card once a month i think. i have no idea how much the current collect calls cost me, i have asked bell 6 times and have 6 different answers.... the scariest answer was 4.50 to accept and 1.00 for every minute after that.
do inmates pay for local calls the same .11 cents a minute from federal prisons? i have family in kingston even tho im in toronto area and am thinking the cheapest way if they dont pay would be to set up a phone in kingston that is constantly forwarded to my cell phone?

k so its only 2.20 for the 20 minute call for the inmate if they are paying for it.... so why not just put the money in their accounts and have them pay for their own calls?

thx
melissa
Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentintime View Post
Hi All,

Inside Phone
or
or
Vantage cell Phone

thank you
momentintime, is your grandson in Maplehurst or CollinsBay?? I responded to your other post about Collins Bay, though I did not mention a service in that post.

But since you are asking I use TrappCall but you can try for your self all the other services. I use TrappCall as I need service for USA and CANADA and they provide both...but again you can try others for your self.

Last edited by Joeliz; 12-16-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Hi I was wondering if anyone could pass along the contact info for trapp call in ontario canada. I was hoping to set up an account to receive the calls to my cell phone. I googled them and two seperate websites came up and I want to make sure I set up with the right company!!! My boyfriend is being transferred to Penetang this week from Maplehurst and i heard that the calls are $20 / call.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Rollercoaster Rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_clakson View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone could pass along the contact info for trapp call in ontario canada. I was hoping to set up an account to receive the calls to my cell phone. I googled them and two seperate websites came up and I want to make sure I set up with the right company!!! My boyfriend is being transferred to Penetang this week from Maplehurst and i heard that the calls are $20 / call.
Yes, it's www.trappcall.com
Make sure you have the two p's

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_clakson View Post
I just set up trappcall and it was very easy and inexpensive, i'm in ontario too the phone # for the sales office is 1.888.266.5128 you cannot set up your account online yet. And calls are around $4 for a 20 min call. They offer a whole bunch of different payment options too it's a prepaid account so no more huge phone bills! And the best part was i was able to set up my trappcall # to forward to my cell, and then added it to my 5 so i don't use any airtime and he can call me wherever I am! It's awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to OoLuluoO For This Useful Post:
Skye_ (11-04-2013)