Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Question Best Discount Collect Call Provider for Ontario

I am pretty sure there have been threads on this topic (so I apologize for the repitition) and I notice a Prison Call advertiser flashing above as I am typing, but can someone please post on who they believe is the best discount collect call provider for calls made from institutions in Ontario to other Ontario numbers (e.g., BeaverCreek in Gravenhurst to Toronto).

I would think that cost, reliability, and ease of use are the main criteria.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
~ Daddy's Girl ~

Hi,

Remember ladies, This is an American website (with a Canadian board).

All of the advertsement you see are for american companies. (*they do NOT provide services in Canada.)

Unfortunatly..

Our federal system: (Canada)

Most federal facilities are still on the old " direct collect calls only " system. (* Extreemly expensive and calls are billed to the loved one)

Some facilities have switched over to the " inmate calling card system " - where he buys a calling card (from the canteen) with pre-paid minutes and calls you. * Which is much cheaper *

The calling card system is being fazed into all of the institutions eventually.

The question being, when will this happen..

~Lilystacey

Last edited by lilystacey; 11-11-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Old 11-11-2008, 05:00 PM

I looked into this company - however where he is does not have a satellite. It is for collect calls.

Here is the email I received from them when I grilled - um I mean asked them a ton of questions LOL.

Thank you for your email.

You do not have to cancel your existing phone service provider , you keep your same number we bill you separately for our collect call services
No Contracts
You are not locked into any contracts or any other form of obligation
No Connection fee because you did mention Prison Talk.
You can cancel the service any day as long as it is before the 1st of the new month , Once the 1st of the month enters you would have to complete the full month

Please provide us with the exact institution the calls are from and where they are gong to. Once we have this we can give you the exact information . As for pricing it is the following. It takes only 5 minutes to activate the new service and we are CRTC government regulated which means you are with a trusted and regulated Telecom company.

Ontario prison calls within Ontario $99.99 per month + taxes
Ontario prison calls to outside of Ontario ( All of Canada $125.00 + taxes
Any prison in Canada to any place in Canada $125.00 per month
Prisons in the united states calling Canada $125.00 per month
Prisons in the united states calling United states $99.99 per month
Prisons in Canada and Unites states calling International $200.00 per month.

We do guarantee quality, no price increases and open lines unlimited with no caps . and all prices are + taxes.

Thank you for choosing
Canada Relink
Online Services
1-866-735-4651

He's home
Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Default canada relink!

i've had canada relink for 5 months now and its awesome!!! i pay 119.72 a month and it gives me unlimited collect calls!! you just have to keep paying for a local call
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM

my hunny has a calling card he bought from his canteen, he has never called me collect, he does not want to put that burden on me with a high telephone bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to happyjello For This Useful Post:
loxxgrl (02-18-2011)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
~ Daddy's Girl ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjello View Post
my hunny has a calling card he bought from his canteen, he has never called me collect, he does not want to put that burden on me with a high telephone bill.

Lucky Girl..

I'm dying to get the "calling card system" at our Facility..

I hate long-distance collect calls.. lol

~Lilystacey

Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 PM

I use vonage and it gives me a local number to where my boyfriend is and then i forward it to my house. Its only 45 a month and then of course the 58 cents it costs him to make a local call. I have had it almost a year and it saves me sooo much money...i use to get 800 dollar phone bills so 45 is the best ever!!
Jeremy4ever (10-08-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:08 PM

my mans been in for 2 and a hlaf years and i just started using \vonage Canada it is great also if you lose you interent connaction you have it automatically forwarded at the sdame price
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM

My man is at CECC in Lindsay and they have the old direct collect call system. I thought for SURE I was going to have a heart attack at my first phonebill but I didn't. It was cheap. Only cost me $60 for about 15 phonecalls. I currently have a Bell phoneline and I pay up front for unlimited long distance a month. The only thing they charged me for was the connection fee. For a full 20 minute phonecall it was $5.77.

Totally works for me. I budgeted for spending $300 for the month and am STILL smiling about a phonebill I got last week.

I'm not sure how other jails/prisons work or what phones they have, but I do know that the phones they have in Lindsay are Telus ...and I'm with Bell.

Hope this helps someone

The Following User Says Thank You to Geespot_01 For This Useful Post:
Jeremy4ever (10-08-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan17 View Post
I use vonage and it gives me a local number to where my boyfriend is and then i forward it to my house. Its only 45 a month and then of course the 58 cents it costs him to make a local call. I have had it almost a year and it saves me sooo much money...i use to get 800 dollar phone bills so 45 is the best ever!!
I tried to call them but they told me they don't accept collect calls.am in Toronto en want to receive collect calls from Lindsay can u advice me how u did it?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM

I have been reading, and I am so happy I joined this site. My husband is in Napanee. I dont know for how long. I guess until they throw him somewhere else. My phone service is with Yak and they dont allow you to except collect calls period. I was going crazy. I am all the way in Mississauga. I am going to call re link first thing tomorrow morning.

I thank god for your info
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 AM

hello
i am trying to find some alternative way to communicate with my men who is in c.e.c.c but it seems like lindsay old telephone system will not allow me to get any special phone plan .
how much do you pay for your phone bills with the plan you have right now ?
he just got sentence and he is been calling me all the time , i know how hard that must be for him but i am so scared about my phone bills i have bell as well with long distance plan forwarded to my cell .
thank you
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geespot_01 View Post
My man is at CECC in Lindsay and they have the old direct collect call system. I thought for SURE I was going to have a heart attack at my first phonebill but I didn't. It was cheap. Only cost me $60 for about 15 phonecalls. I currently have a Bell phoneline and I pay up front for unlimited long distance a month. The only thing they charged me for was the connection fee. For a full 20 minute phonecall it was $5.77.

Totally works for me. I budgeted for spending $300 for the month and am STILL smiling about a phonebill I got last week.

I'm not sure how other jails/prisons work or what phones they have, but I do know that the phones they have in Lindsay are Telus ...and I'm with Bell.

Hope this helps someone
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Hello Geespot, I took ur advice and called Bell and they told me this in just not possible, I was wondering what I should do as I am currently with Rogers, do I cancel that and sign up with bell and just have them add unlimited long distance and then he can call me collect for as little as ur paying cause right now 1 call is costing us over $15 for 20min but when I told bell about ur situation they said all institutions are linked to telus and they have no control over this as this person may have a 3rd party provider. Pls Help
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geespot_01 View Post

Hope this helps someone
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Try Trappcall.com, they have really good rates and can hook you up to get collect calls from Lindsay (among other places)! They even do cellphones.

Last edited by Candlestick; 05-19-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Exclamation Trapp call is by far the best company I have used so far

Trappcall i used for 5+ years on and off and have been beyond satisfied. They give you free calls on holidays, they have no hidden fees and are very helpful. They allow you to transfer local numbers if your inmate switches or gets transferred between jails. They also credited me for any dropped calls due to getting cut off for 3 way calls.

Unfortunately they don't offer service for Stratford jail where my inmate is currently so I was forced to switch to Call2Talk. It is awful service
they charge you 1.50 plus the HST on every top up and are rude. for every $20 dollars you give them only 16.20 is applied to your account. Its a joke and I can not wait for the end of the month for when i will never have to use their service or allow them to steal any more money from me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Hi Jesselo, I wanted to let you know that trappcall does provide services for Stratford, Ontario. I dont know if it is a recent thing but I saw your post while I was talking to the customer service just now and asked the lady, and she confirmed that they do provide services to Stratford so you are in luck. I have never used Call2talk but when I pay $20 o my trappcall service the tax take off is $2.30 (Ontario gst). Looks like Call2talk is charging you $3.80 for tax and a payment surcharge. I called Call2talk and their customer service confirmed that every time you make a payment to your account there is charge for making the payment, Yikes!!

Last edited by sweet_mieze; 01-05-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_mieze View Post
Hi Jesselo, I wanted to let you know that trappcall does provide services for Stratford, Ontario. I dont know if it is a recent thing but I saw your post while I was talking to the customer service just now and asked the lady, and she confirmed that they do provide services to Stratford so you are in luck. I have never used Call2talk but when I pay $20 o my trappcall service the tax take off is $2.30 (Ontario gst). Looks like Call2talk is charging you $3.80 for tax and a payment surcharge. I called Call2talk and their customer service confirmed that every time you make a payment to your account there is charge for making the payment, Yikes!!
I switched over already !! Thank you for letting me know
Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorjudgment View Post
I am pretty sure there have been threads on this topic (so I apologize for the repitition) and I notice a Prison Call advertiser flashing above as I am typing, but can someone please post on who they believe is the best discount collect call provider for calls made from institutions in Ontario to other Ontario numbers (e.g., BeaverCreek in Gravenhurst to Toronto).

I would think that cost, reliability, and ease of use are the main criteria.
Checkout FedPhoneLines website, I think they are the cheapest for Canadian Institutions.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM

These 3rd Party Collect Companies do not follow CRTC regulations, they are not registered as with CRTC as resellers, also they need BITS and provide 911 services, and remember the Call Forwarding number they provide you each time this number belongs to you, you can take and port this number. Dont be fooled by their explanation "We offer different service so this does not apply" THATS BS CRTC explains as long a company provides two way communication they need to register with CRTC and that is what they are doing is providing you with 2 way communications.