Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Fire Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Fire Camps Topics, Discussions and Information relating to California Fire Camps.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Thank you for the updates!

You should be really proud of her! It is wonderful that she is really leaning into this! Fire camp is no cake walk, it is dangerous and hard work. I live in California and the wild fires are always of a concern to me. I have seen, in person, these people going into conditions that I am fleeing. They go into areas that are steep and rugged, fighting a fire with hand implements. During the worst of the fire season here it is hot and dry, not the weather that you would want to be hiking around the mountains wearing heavy clothes.

I admire these people, and appreciate their efforts.

The good news is that it started raining here just before Thanksgiving which has really helped out, I think that there are only two active fires left, and they are mostly contained. They may still have a lot of work to do, however.

Next time you talk to her, thank her for me for her service.

Rod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2019), studebaker71 (12-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words!! Yeah she had a great time when we talked, she told me as much as she could with that good ole 15min we have.... She ended up with a tool that is like a axe! I am really surprised and then she did reach the "top hiker" that day too. I guess there is some type of competition for sure with them all. I think though even with the competition she is helpful and encouraging to the others since her demeanor is that of a person to take care of others. She would sacrifice everything for her fellow peer. That's kinda her downfall in this whole case and sentence...

So the next day she was supposed to do another big hike but the storm came rolling in. I guess they went to the fairgrounds and did practice exercises and some tool maintenance? Good things they are learning and passing the time with. I really hope that she stays safe and doesn't get injured. That's the only real scare I have because when they get injured that isn't the end of it, they end up losing the good time for the program! UGH!!! She is sure footed and careful though, of all the people I know, she will take the most care and be intentional in every step.
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 31,823 Times in 15,877 Posts

I dont think thats right they dock them the good time they've earned if they get hurt. I suppose they must have some sort of reasoning behind that, but it sure does not feel right.

Interesting about her carrying herself differently as the training goes on. Not a surprise but just found that interesting.
I recall a teacher of my son's (when in middle school) saying something to the effect of...I see these boys walking around at the start of school......head down, slouched shuffling, then they get into a sport and on a team and its....shoulder back, head up.
Might be a similar thing here. She is part of a team. Working a physical job.

At any rate..Good for her. Its probably a good time to be in fire camp. Slower than during summer and early fall. Hopefully no fires.
Im glad for her. She sounds as if she is enjoying this, and getting alot out of it.(well as much as one could still being in prison, I mean)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I dont think thats right they dock them the good time they've earned if they get hurt. I suppose they must have some sort of reasoning behind that, but it sure does not feel right.

Interesting about her carrying herself differently as the training goes on. Not a surprise but just found that interesting.
I recall a teacher of my son's (when in middle school) saying something to the effect of...I see these boys walking around at the start of school......head down, slouched shuffling, then they get into a sport and on a team and its....shoulder back, head up.
Might be a similar thing here. She is part of a team. Working a physical job.

At any rate..Good for her. Its probably a good time to be in fire camp. Slower than during summer and early fall. Hopefully no fires.
Im glad for her. She sounds as if she is enjoying this, and getting alot out of it.(well as much as one could still being in prison, I mean)
She is her own success story. The thing is, her story doesn't involve drugs, stealing, hurting anyone, or doing some obscene crime. It just is a mom that fought on all levels to stop at nothing for her kids. So she went in there with no real growing to do other than to understand the system is not just and fair, that's the only thing. So many girls are in there kicking habits, recovering, and getting either turned back into society worse or learning a few things. I am glad to hear though that my girl has been supportive and helpful to the people around her, and has not harbored much resentment about the system and everything despite the way it all went down. If it were me, i would be out for blood scorned and I don't know what would have happened. hahahh

I am really awestruck at how she carries herself, how she made this her own path and I honestly believe that all everyone around her shares the viewpoint because everywhere I have gone they have been very nice about her.

Fires or not, I think God has a plan for her. She is to show her best work yet after this whole escapade. She's a beautiful person, making every path beautiful in her presence.

She let me know for sure its Malibu, and this weekend I will get to see her. Now I need to find out what food I can bring because they don't have vending there, they let the family bring their own food!

Last edited by studebaker71; 12-10-2019 at 04:59 PM..
sidewalker (12-10-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Back for an update....

Went for two visits last weekend. Was a refreshing setup. Cold and only outdoor seating but the situation for this is much much better. Park like setting, and very few visitors. Very quiet and out in the open with birds chirping and elements.... It is 10min into the canyon so I could get her fries and a burger from jack in the box and it was still warm when she arrived to visit! I couldn't believe the look on her face when I saw her eat fries for the first time in so long. I thought she was going to melt right there.

I was able to bring a big cooler with drinks and snacks. Everything sealed and single serving to be safe, but I brought ice and all kinds of stuff. Milk, egg nog, cereal, cheese, just a bunch of snacks. Wanted her to have an assortment to choose from, I just brought back the leftovers to live off of back at home the rest of the week

We got the play our monopoly deal card game, we got the hold hands ilke always, but when she got emotional I rubbed her back and got a talking to... So they are still strict about touching and stuff.

She has a new outfit now, its tough mountain gear. Long sleeves, belt, tight fitting, and boots. Looks like a military orange style! Much different look for her, but I know its a good thing to protect her from the elements.

She mentioned to me that she uses the "mcloud" tool, and they do a timed hike every morning, then another hike to do work like clear brush and stuff. I also heard in her voice she has a cold. She is working through it and I know she is denying it and just pushing on. I can't say much to her, she is tough now.

I think were close to 60 days left till the parole early date. Don't know if that is the date she comes home, lots of talk about it being the review date and then if approved then another 30 days or some stupid crap. I don't know but that is my update for this thread. I hope she gets over this cold by the weekend. I don't want to be all giving her a hard time for it.
sidewalker (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:46 AM

My weekly update! In hopes this helps someone else with their expectations!!! you never know!!

If I haven't mentioned it, here are some fun facts of Malibu camp visitation.

Outdoor park like setting. Covered, but its benches. You cant straddle the bench seats facing each other, but you can sit next to each other or across from.

Dress in layers, its cold and warm and lately it was a little threat of rain.

"My inmate" was able to bring her cards out to play with me.

There's no vending machines so we bring it all in. This is a blessing. I go shopping and there's a Trader Joe's closeby too so I can get items there. The first few visits I got junk food McDonalds and jack in the box, then quickly she wanted good healthy food hahah

I recently learned that the front office will call the kitchen to bring hot water if you want to make coffee. They are REALLY nice people. The people in CIW were "not too bad" but two bad apples.

I bring a cooler with mostly sealed new food.This weekend on Sunday I brought burgers and all the fixings to make them. I pre cut tomatoes and onions and all the stuff. I brought charcoal to make them too! There are 5-6 BBQ's for use, and they are like what you would use in a park, old and rusty... They work well! I brought my own lighter, but my girl let me know that they give you the lighter temporarily. I guess that's something under control. I kept mine in my pocket so I didn't cause any waves.

So yeah, pretty amazing to be able to BBQ and play cards in a park like setting and enjoy our cooler and people being nice. It's amazing.

I did get a consultation on touching. I was consoling my girl on her back when she got emotional seeing eggnog in the cooler. I was accepting to the consultation and didn't touch her back again. I did however see other inmates braiding visitors hair, and kissing visitors and other hanky panky without any consultation. I am the new guy though with only a few weekends so I am keeping a low profile. I am patient and won't raise a ruckus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-14-2020), sidewalker (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:31 AM
Donation Award 

What a difference with fire camp and regular prison visits. I'd have been so happy with benches to sit on rather than the toddler chairs and tables they had in hubs place.
Glad Im short so it was not too terrible.

Really great about being able to bring in food. Thats awesome.
And yeah on the touching thing. Cant compare what others are doing, because that never works in your favor.
Funny that I just found out yesterday from my son who went one time with my other son to visit hub. He told me HE got into a bit of trouble over a long hug with his Dad.
Its stupid.

I did not go that time, it was just the boys. Older son didnt go in as he never filled out a visit app.
Anyway......try not to trip on the release on parole thing til it happens, (which I'd bet it does) It will end. Just like parole does as long as she does what they say, and keeps her nose clean.
Glad to hear this update.
Hope your lady feels better soon.

That's my dog's nose art

studebaker71 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
What a difference with fire camp and regular prison visits. I'd have been so happy with benches to sit on rather than the toddler chairs and tables they had in hubs place.
Glad Im short so it was not too terrible.

Really great about being able to bring in food. Thats awesome.
And yeah on the touching thing. Cant compare what others are doing, because that never works in your favor.
Funny that I just found out yesterday from my son who went one time with my other son to visit hub. He told me HE got into a bit of trouble over a long hug with his Dad.
Its stupid.

I did not go that time, it was just the boys. Older son didnt go in as he never filled out a visit app.
Anyway......try not to trip on the release on parole thing til it happens, (which I'd bet it does) It will end. Just like parole does as long as she does what they say, and keeps her nose clean.
Glad to hear this update.
Hope your lady feels better soon.
Yeah at CIW I was sternly consulted about kissing during the entry and exit of the visit. Apparently I was "making out" I think honestly it was jealousy from the girls there. They were asking my girl questions about our pics during her strip search. They were weird over there, kinda like high school kids.

Here at camp they are seeming to consult me as a first time visitor. It seemed like a canned approach. Seemed like he goes trough it with the new guy. Didn't seem catty or political like at CIW.

As far as the parole. She has done everything to a T and excelled in every program too. Never a discipline nothing. BUT, this bullshit "crime" they have is including a "victim" and in prop 57 they give these people a chance to write in and they determine the parole approval or rejection based on that and other factors. I went in my letter, I got other people to send in, and she sent in certificates and other stuff too so hopefully this all outweighs the naysayers. This whole stupid thing is a result from her ex and family. Vendetta.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 AM

Its been a few weeks since I updated. I have made visits each weekend and were kinda getting into the groove of things. She is still hiking daily, and in some cases they do two hikes. I have been told so far about various jobs they have been deployed to.

Fixing storm drains on trails - Digging, resetting metal things, clearing paths after rain.
On call deployed to a downed power line! - They had a tree fall on a power line and had to clear the tree. This involves chainsaw and "bucking" the pieces away. She works with the crew to get it all loaded up and cleaned up and hauled out. Kinda could be dangerous if there is electrical live!

Brush fire! - She was called out to a fire, but it was extinguished by time they arrived.

Events - They did an annual "bear run" hike. I guess its a competition they do every year and they record times and everything. I was really proud to hear that she got 2nd place in her group (over 40yo). She got 7th in all. I think its like 100 or so girls.

All in all I think its a good program. They really don't baby the girls and I think that for many of them, this is the only real situation that they will be coached in the reality of life and how to dig deep and get strong. Funny thing though is my girl and me are strong already, we have these qualities and as she is accomplished with 2 degrees and has raised two good kids and I have done well as well. The whole thing is a joke but she is having a good time now. She definitely has the staffs respect.

I want to get her home to be a housewife. I do think though she may get addicted to this life and want to work in the field. Last visit she said to me "I like it here".... And it seemed in the context that she would stay if she wasn't coming home to me....

Last visit she told me that she is now working the chainsaw. I was very surprised that she would be working on that since she is 110 lb soaking wet. But I am noticing that her muscle definition is getting more and more, she has no fat on her for sure. And now shes getting muscular. She said she is really liking it and that they like to put her on the saw because shes small and can get inside the bushes easier than a bigger girl. I told her as long as shes safe I am proud and think that she will look back on this experience positively.

Were pressing on. Oh and she found a program that she can (after working and hiking all day) attend a 1 hr class every day to cut off more hours. Shes doing it and plans on taking another 20 days off her sentence with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
kvinna20 (01-14-2020), sidewalker (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM
Donation Award 

**I want to get her home to be a housewife.*** nothing wrong with that< however from the next sentence......she may not want to do that. I'd support what she would want to do. Parole may have ideas too about what she should and shouldnt be doing after prison.

For now, Im happy to hear she seems to be enjoying this (as it were) and learning things. Learning things about herself too. Like what she is capable of. And you should be proud of what she has accomplished, as should she. Good for her.

That's my dog's nose art

studebaker71 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
**I want to get her home to be a housewife.*** nothing wrong with that< however from the next sentence......she may not want to do that. I'd support what she would want to do. Parole may have ideas too about what she should and shouldn't be doing after prison.

For now, I'm happy to hear she seems to be enjoying this (as it were) and learning things. Learning things about herself too. Like what she is capable of. And you should be proud of what she has accomplished, as should she. Good for her.
Yeah I am VERY glad! I am hoping that they don't have tons of "requirements" on her for all this working and such, I feel like her being out and around driving and things will put her in danger. I am admitted going to be a "helicopter husband" on her hahah so my preference would be to take care of her and make her a "housewife" may be a bit sounding overbearing but I of course want her to have her own path and will enable for it as much as she wants. I wont though hide my preference

I am absolutely proud of her performance and experience, she is leading and taking care of herself and her peers there. They are calling her mom" so that is some sort of funny respect! If she wants to come home and join the fire dept I will be all for it.

I really hope the parole people are not making a unrealistic environment for her to succeed. I have talked with my girl about it and she said that if there are "requirements" she may be better off doing college if that is an option too.... We will execute the most protective and safe plan to get her out of the spotlight for parole to pick apart her freedom. I have a attorney also that will be advising and supporting us through the process too.
sidewalker (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:57 AM

It sounds like she is thriving! Good for her working so hard and making the best of the situation. I’m sure her example is inspiring others, too. My husband didn’t like me working and it was always a source of contention, because it was my chance to excel at something I loved. Your reasons make sense though. If she does end up working for the fire department on the outside maybe it will help with the politics and her ex?
The Following User Says Thank You to kvinna20 For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinna20 View Post
It sounds like she is thriving! Good for her working so hard and making the best of the situation. Iím sure her example is inspiring others, too. My husband didnít like me working and it was always a source of contention, because it was my chance to excel at something I loved. Your reasons make sense though. If she does end up working for the fire department on the outside maybe it will help with the politics and her ex?
Its funny because everyone knows beneath the thin line that its all BS! It has happened on several occasions the conversation goes like this "Why are you here" then the story, then its like "oh and my ex is law enforcement" then all the dots connect.... In certain circumstances they give each other "courtesy" and in this case they efficiently resolved their custody and divorce disputes in this manner. It was sick and twisted but make no bones about it, cops and LEO literally get away with murder for them and their family, but be against them, and end up in prison for speculation!! I have a divorce, it wasnt on the best of terms.... But I would never in my darkest mind think about ruining her life over our beef.

My whole thing with her working and such are her driving around town without witness or protection. I don't trust cops after what I have seen and experienced. I just don't trust them at all. The amount of ease that they can do a favor for each other is way way too scary.

They will likely be in custody fight again and his avenue of attack are not beneath doing unjustified calls to the dept and accusations. That's what landed her in there in first place. So now I would not think a second thought that they would pull her over and plant some stupid thing on her or make something up to get her back in. That's my fear.

I will have cameras and stuff in the car. I will give her cc to just uber, we will have a plan for sure.
sidewalker (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Donation Award 

Its so frustrating for me to hear about the vindictiveness of some people. Sad really. Watched it with my now hub and his ex. (mostly over child custody issues, but some monetary ones too)

Yeah I can see why you would be concerned for her driving alone. Especially if there are predictable times. Much easier to *catch* her alone or off guard.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Its so frustrating for me to hear about the vindictiveness of some people. Sad really. Watched it with my now hub and his ex. (mostly over child custody issues, but some monetary ones too)

Yeah I can see why you would be concerned for her driving alone. Especially if there are predictable times. Much easier to *catch* her alone or off guard.
Yup like for sure any date she has with parole or whatever. I will make damn sure its uber or I drive her myself. Any dates that this knucklhead can look up in his little computer will be 100% escorted.
sidewalker (01-16-2020)