Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 667 Posts
Default 10 postcards only -- court says OK

Cape Girardeau County forbids letters to inmates and forbids them to have more than ten postcards at once.

In the resulting suit, plaintiff offered as evidence the policies from many other institutions that allow letters. The judge refused to allow them into evidence.

Upheld on appeal:
http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/18/01/163682P.pdf
Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,297 Posts

They aren't the only county to allow only post cards and county isn't permanent with most cases either being dismissed or the inmate going to prison after sentencing. Yes, many other institutions allow many other things, but there are FAR bigger fish to fry than post cards vs letters in my opinion.

My ex spent nearly a year in a county jail with no face to face visits, only video. So he got letters, but couldn't touch his daughter for nearly a year.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,770 Posts

While I don’t like this policy, there are county jails that have this sort of policy, either postcards or a limit on the size/length of letters, presumably to ease monitoring of communications. I know Ventura County has had this restriction in place in the past....not sure about current policies there.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Thanked 10,243 Times in 5,691 Posts

The other variable here is that it was a mama who filed suit and was making the claim of an abridgement of 1A rights. It did not restrict her right to communicate with her son.

It might have been different if, for example, you had an inmate who had filed and asserted that restrictions on outgoing mail hindered their abilities to mount a defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-12-2018)