Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

View Poll Results: How long have you or had you used meth?
0-3months 84 7.94%
6mo-1year 75 7.09%
1year and then some 299 28.26%
why would I do that(never) 600 56.71%
Voters: 1058. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 PM

Default 5 years

I have been clean for five years from Meth.
cmf1212 (01-20-2014), DougsCandy (08-26-2013), lisainengland (05-21-2013), Lordbew/us (06-18-2014), ScarletOpal (10-30-2013), SEG (01-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 AM

I'll be 20 this november. Never in my twenty years did I think I'd take a dance with the devil. I was an active meth user for about 3 months. I used everyday, easy at my disposal because my current fiance was my dope dealer. He went in late May of this year for getting caught with a gun and meth. Since being in, he says hes happy he is sober, he says Im his new drug. He shot up meth daily and has done it since his teens and is now 30 years old. I love this man with all of my heart but I still question if he will pick it back up again upon his release from prison, he has 3 years with hopes of serving half time. Im scared to be in a situation where im around the dope because I feel like I wouldnt be able to refuse it when its staring me in the face. since quiting on May 20th I have had two small relapses that lasted no longer than a week. I have had one nightmare which was just the other night. Physically, I restored to my normal weight and I dont think I did it long enough to see any permanent changes. While on the drug I felt my personality changing. I went from happy, outgoing to moody and selfish, pretty much careless. To be honest, before I smoked it, I wasnt certain what it was even made of. After learning, you'd think that would be enough to quit. But it is a hard substance to break, for some nearly impossible. I pray we can all overcome this horrible addiction. Its a lifelong battle that we must never give up fighting. If anyone needs to talk about their addictions Im here. Sober for 2 months and still going! Xoxo
Desertwifey (08-12-2013), lisainengland (08-13-2013), MWexford (08-12-2013), ScarletOpal (10-30-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Evryday is one day Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo417 View Post
I'm a recovering meth addict as well. I used on a daily basis for a few years and caught some burglary charges around 3 years ago. I was placed in greene county drug court which helped reinforce the need to attend support groups. I'm a member of a well known fellowship and have been clean for roughly 20 months. Getting clean is the easy part but staying clean is the tricky part. I thought that I had a drug problem but in reality I have a life problem that drug abuse is just a symptom of. Through regular meeting attendance, a sturdy support group, a sponsor, stepwork, service work, and avoiding people I used with, I've become employable, gained a place to call my own, a vehicle, a fiance(she's right at 5 months pregnant, we're having a little girl ) peace of mind, and my word finally means something again for the first time in over ten years(meth wasn't my first addiction, it was the last drug I tried) this simple program that I'm a part of promises 3 things ; that any addict can stop using, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live. As I consistently apply these principles to my life, things get better. My life isn't all rainbows and puppy dogs now. but compared to how it used to be, it feels like it is. I still have a long way to go(I'm still in drug court, but I'm doing good except for fees), but as long as I take it a day at a time, there isn't anything that I can't achieve. My prayers go out to everyone that's struggling with addiction and if you want to know more about fellowship and friendships, message me and I'll pass on the information and give away what was so freely given to me.
Never Alone, Never Again

LX

Well said!! your story touched my

Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 AM

Default I hate meth

I never liked doing meth, but my boyfriend often pressured me to do it with him. He used to mix it with heroin and shoot it up, sometimes adding xanax to the mixture as well. Watching what meth was doing to him made me hate that stuff even more. Not to mention he spent all my money, stole tons of stuff from me, and put me in a hospital a few times. He is in prison now, and looking forward to doing meth again when he gets out.
I don't judge people for doing drugs. But there's drug use and there is a desperate attempt to get obliterated by any means possible. I respect those who try to get clean no matter how hard it is. Because it's not a life.
I wish all the best to the people who struggle with meth addiction.
As for those who think meth is fun--good luck to you, too. Hope it's worth what it is going to cost you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MWexford For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-25-2014)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinezWifey View Post
weed is NOT a drug. Alcohol is WAY worse than weed.
weed is a drug. alcohol is a drug, too. both can mess up your life, but that does not mean you can't use weed or alcohol responsibly. and prohibition definitely solves nothing in either case.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Oddly for me, meth has the complete opposite effect of what it has on most people, probably because I was diagnosed with ADD as a child. Trying meth, smoking and snorting it, made me more focused, and actually tired. I think it's because when you try to 'speed up' an already hyperactive brain, it has the opposite affect...just as Adderal and Ritalin does...it 'slows you down.'

Opiates on the other hand, agitate me and have similiar effects on me ( aside from the warm and fuzzy feeling) that meth does. I start cleaning house and getting very detailed-oriented and agitated. Interesting how different drugs affect people differently.

That being said I have known many people whose lives have been devastated by meth and in my local area, I'd say that nearly all the drug offenders in jail ( I've been to jail more than a few times in my hometown) are there for meth-related offenses.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 AM

Clean for 6 years, but before that I've tried all sort of substance. Meth is one of it
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM

I have done it before with my my ex. I didn't realize how widely "popular" meth is! It is freaking crazy....it is EVERYWHERE!! It is probably because I was so naive to it all. Can't say I didn't like it BUT it is something I will NEVER touch again. That was a horrible choice I made in the first place. I've seen the affect it has had on my ex..... it's wrecked his whole world & made him someone he isn't. He doesn't take care of our son or his other children.... he has let it consume his life! Due to the experience I've had with him & also so family who were addicted to meth, I am going to college to become a Substance Abuse Counselor. I'd love to help others!

The Following User Says Thank You to cmf1212 For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-25-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM

I was an everyday meth user for 15 years. I've been clean since thanksgiving of 2010.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maniacswifey619 For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-25-2014), cmf1212 (01-22-2014), Dakini (04-08-2015), redgrl (09-07-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM

i started fall of 1997..used pretty much going forward( a year clean here, off wagon..go few months clean there...fall off wagon...(lather,rinse repeat, you get the idea) - pretty much finally quit for good day before thanksgiving 2010 ( i believe 11-24-10)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM

this November I will be clean 4 years. I too had it at my disposal because I was married to a dealer and addict. For 15 years that's all I care about. More than my life. More than my childrens lives. More than my marriage. I was his own personal whore who did what I needed to do to get high. Thank god I saw the light. And stopped without rehab. Cold turkey. Now that I'm clean I can say that I'm taking care of myself and my family. And staying sober is not a hard thing to do anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maniacswifey619 For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-25-2014), lisainengland (03-26-2014), tialooey (06-19-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Love addict

I've never used the stuff. However my best friend from middle school and beyond was/is possibly still using the stuff.. She's bipolar and uses different drugs like meth and coke/heroin to self medicate. She is a veteran and there are a few facilities that she has gotten treatment at. But unfortunately she doesn't want to change.

I have witnessed her at the hospital talking to the doctor and basically prescribing herself treatment. Only once was she told that she was a drug seeker and turned away.

Shay

Everyone says that love hurts, but that's not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Everyone confuses these things with love, but in reality, LOVE is the only thing in this world that covers up all the pain and makes us feel wonderful again.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Like The Sunshine

Hey,

I've used various drugs for about 10 years, mainly 8 years of daily cannabis smoking, ontop 1 year being addicted to benzos and used meth and mdma very couples of weeks for the last 5 years to which I still occasionally do to this day.

I admit using any drug affects you in some negative way, I learnt that from being addicted to cannabis for many years and the toll it had on my life, for which I remember very little when I was on that stuff, thankfully I've never touched a bong or a joint in 2 years.

I would say it anyone who's an addict, you make your own choices - some good, some bad and some terrible to which you think ull never change. The one thing to remember is that you create your own destiny and you can always make steps every day to recover and be a better person.

Addiction can be devastating, it can destroy lives but from my personal experience, anyone can change if you want to, you just got to believe in yourself and hold faith in your personal decisions, seek help and discover who you are and do whatever it takes to be a better individual.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyKat View Post
I'll be 20 this november. Never in my twenty years did I think I'd take a dance with the devil. I was an active meth user for about 3 months. I used everyday, easy at my disposal because my current fiance was my dope dealer. He went in late May of this year for getting caught with a gun and meth. Since being in, he says hes happy he is sober, he says Im his new drug. He shot up meth daily and has done it since his teens and is now 30 years old. I love this man with all of my heart but I still question if he will pick it back up again upon his release from prison, he has 3 years with hopes of serving half time. Im scared to be in a situation where im around the dope because I feel like I wouldnt be able to refuse it when its staring me in the face. since quiting on May 20th I have had two small relapses that lasted no longer than a week. I have had one nightmare which was just the other night. Physically, I restored to my normal weight and I dont think I did it long enough to see any permanent changes. While on the drug I felt my personality changing. I went from happy, outgoing to moody and selfish, pretty much careless. To be honest, before I smoked it, I wasnt certain what it was even made of. After learning, you'd think that would be enough to quit. But it is a hard substance to break, for some nearly impossible. I pray we can all overcome this horrible addiction. Its a lifelong battle that we must never give up fighting. If anyone needs to talk about their addictions Im here. Sober for 2 months and still going! Xoxo
hey there is a documentary on netflix called unguarded about a recovering addict. Check it out if you get a chance. Very inspiring to me because I have used meth for 20 years and have been clean for 55 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to sumchick For This Useful Post:
AngieYuuup (11-26-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,079 Times in 566 Posts

I am one of the fortunate people and never got involved with Meth. Never used it, but have known people who have. It amazes me what it does to you in a very short time. Congrats to all of you who have gotten off it and for those who haven't gotten off it, keep trying, there is always hope.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

The Following User Says Thank You to babygirl350 For This Useful Post:
charok1 (07-06-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 PM

crystal meth is just another addiction. Just like weed, alcohol, even cigarettes or prescription pills. They all do damage. To all of you who have been clean no matter how much time I salute you. For those of you who are still fighting, keep on keepin on. You'll get there!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maniacswifey619 For This Useful Post:
charok1 (07-06-2014), LifeTraveler (06-19-2014), Wendy1918 (08-17-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Grateful recovering addict

I celebrated 10 years off of meth, heroin and crack on April 12, 2014. Here is a little bit of my story. I dropped out of the eighth grade after I got involved with a man who was 21 years old. I had my first child a day before my 16 birthday. My husband was both physically and mentally abusive towards me -we did a lot of drugs together. My drug use combined with the abuse led me to a life that was filled with darkness. I had no self-esteem, I was completely empty. I lived on the streets: in bushes, in tents and in a field that was shared with rats, who would scratch at my tent looking for food. I was in and out of jail-and one day I was given a five year conditionally suspended sentence. I did two long-term drug programs. Upon completion of these programs, I went back to school at a community college ( starting at the very bottom classes) and then advancing to higher classes. I graduated with an AA degree. I furthered my education by getting admitted to a university, where I acquired my Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and a minor in Criminal Justice. I recently applied to law school Please, if you or a family member struggle with addiction there are places to get help-so don't every give up!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sheriC For This Useful Post:
AngieYuuup (11-26-2014), charok1 (07-06-2014), mco65 (11-14-2014), redgrl (09-07-2014), Sheryl P. (11-15-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Spook's Lazy Butt

The first time i did it i sniffed it the day before thanksgiving i was high for 5 days up, hanging out partying, nothing tasted good i had to force my self to eat. i was itchy and had scabies on the back of my head like a fiend. terrible, i was up watching adult films for over 28 hours, watching strange things I wouldnt watch sober. i crashed for 2 days. NEVER AGAIN. but im a opiate user 5 years. now i am happy and feeling a lot better

Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM
CTR

I tried it a few years ago and did it maybe 4 to 5 times. I never did like it and couldn't figure 6 why people want to do it. I personally like to sleep and all it ever did for me was make me paranoid and I couldn't sleep for 2 to 3 days. I am also a person who doesn't have a very addictive personality. I wouldn't ever recommend anyone take a chance or even try any drugs. I was very depressed and vulnerable at that time and my so called best friend kept pressuring me to try it and would always have it with her. I eventually gave in. I think was never an issue for me but I am very lucky to have escaped without become a statistic. I still don't know what people enjoy about it. I always felt terrible. It wasn't a pleasurable high at all
Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 PM

I met a guy and got hooked on it and he was my boyfriend then became my dealer then turned my house into a dope house and then I lost it all when the fire happened. I left and ran and ran fast. I met my Mr. through his mom whom I met in treatment. My Mr. and I became penpals and he has helped me I relapsed 1 time and he was there as best as he can be and has helped me. we talk about it and I am open with him when I have a craving. I go to meetings and have a sponsor and come on 60 days clean now and this time its a lot better.
Mikesgirl73 (09-07-2014), Real Checker (03-23-2015)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 PM

I never knowingly went to buy meth, but I was on Crack pretty hard for years and Im certain there was some meth cut in some of it. Both are the "Devils candy".
Old 11-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Wifey For Lifey

I first used when I was 19. Snorted it while working and I worked for a rehab! Id doing it in the bathroom and be tweekin all day every day. And yet no one noticed. I stopped using cause the money ran out, maybe a year later. Was clean until last year(10yrs). My then fiance had never done it and when he brought it to me I caved. We stayed up screwing for three days. Best sex ever, by the way. Then didnt touch again until right before he went to prison 8/2014. Did it for about a month, shooting it up no less. I say I will never do it again, but then I think about how the sex was and want to shoot up one more time. I know its terrible and I see what it does to people yet I still 'dream' about it. Hopefully the urge will pass..
Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanked 1,044 Times in 384 Posts

I never tried any drug, I don't drink either. I do not like to lose control over myself and my actions in any shape or form. There were plenty of drugs around when I was at University but I was never tempted, nor did I bow to peer pressure. Strange how some people do and some don't. I never even thought about taking drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macushla For This Useful Post:
Chapel (03-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 AM

After I first meet my husband I was around it..about 3 or 4 months after we got married I found out he was doing meth and heroin behind my back. He got arrested for something and went to jail for 5 days by taking a 3 yr probation deal. He offered me some..at which point I was clean off cocaine for a yr but went down hill from there..me and him got sober after he went back to jail. The da knew he had drug problem and he had to go to rehab..he finished rehab and was sober for a yr including his jail time and I was sober for about 8 months cuz he went to rehab July 18th last yr.anyway he started having old friends help change the deadbolts while he worked in garden and had another meth friend with a truck help get stuff for garden and another work on our cars..once we were around it again 3 weeks ago it went down hill and we were using again. Now I am still using with desire to quit again before it's out of hand after I finish what I have left though..husband hasn't used in a week almost cuz he got locked up again in jail for now but he's heading to prison for a few yrs. He stole a bunch of cactus from someone and probation caught him April 1st for it charged with 4 felonys and violation of probation. Hopefully he this time he learned he does stupid things that he wouldn't do if he was sober. so hopefully he stays sober

Last edited by destroy; 04-08-2015 at 02:23 AM..
Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriC View Post
I celebrated 10 years off of meth, heroin and crack on April 12, 2014. Here is a little bit of my story. I dropped out of the eighth grade after I got involved with a man who was 21 years old. I had my first child a day before my 16 birthday. My husband was both physically and mentally abusive towards me -we did a lot of drugs together. My drug use combined with the abuse led me to a life that was filled with darkness. I had no self-esteem, I was completely empty. I lived on the streets: in bushes, in tents and in a field that was shared with rats, who would scratch at my tent looking for food. I was in and out of jail-and one day I was given a five year conditionally suspended sentence. I did two long-term drug programs. Upon completion of these programs, I went back to school at a community college ( starting at the very bottom classes) and then advancing to higher classes. I graduated with an AA degree. I furthered my education by getting admitted to a university, where I acquired my Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and a minor in Criminal Justice. I recently applied to law school Please, if you or a family member struggle with addiction there are places to get help-so don't every give up!
That's an awesome story congratulations on turning your life around you and your family must be extremely proud. That takes a lot of strength and will.