Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Crime & Court Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Crime & Court Talk News and discussion on all things to do with crime and/or the court system.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default 'Affluenza' teen is on the run, absconds probation! CAUGHT!

Quote:
FORT WORTH — The name Ethan Couch is now in a national crime database. Authorities concede they have no idea where he is.
One day after Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said his department was "working every angle" it could, he said the FBI and U.S. Marshals have joined the nationwide search.
Full story here: http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...ntry/77453634/

This kid took A LOT of heat back when he got off with just 10 years juvenile probation after killing four people while driving drunk. A psychologist hired by the defense at his trial argued he suffered from 'affluenza' (e.g., "being a spoiled little rich kid") and thus shouldn't be held as responsible for his actions as someone coming from more underprivileged background.

Well, it turns out he's not taking his probation very seriously... video just surfaced on Twitter recently showing him laughing at a beer pong party. WHOOPS! Terms of his probation forbid drinking, of course. Him and his mom haven't been seen since.

Quote:
"He's going to have to look over his shoulder the rest of his life," Sheriff Anderson promised. "Any time he gets anywhere we could apprehend him, we're going to find him. And we're going to keep looking and we're not going to stop."
Good luck, kiddo. You're going to need it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 617 Posts

SHOCKER.....not
Old 12-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,788 Posts

If his parents are helping him I hope all of them pay a huge price.
priceam (12-21-2015), sidewalker (12-20-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanked 10,694 Times in 5,843 Posts

I am aware of the video of him AT the beer pong event...however, I have not heard from my Tarrant County acquaintances that there is actual footage of an alcoholic beverage in his hand or being consumed by him. Without proof of consumption, there is not basis to sanction for alcohol 'use.'

The absconding IS an issue and it appears as though one of the family members (mom) is also out of pocket (more than just being gone at same time as kid).

There is A LOT more to this than is being released to the media, just as there was a lot prior to the original disposition event than made the news.

That someone chose not to take a gift of probation seriously is hardly a surprise and is definitely not limited to his social demographic. People piss away gifts of deferred and even straight probation EVERY day of the week. The complicating factor in THIS case is that he is in the juvenile system, not the adult side of the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-18-2015), istrueblue (12-27-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
If his parents are helping him I hope all of them pay a huge price.
I do believe "harboring a fugitive" is a felony offense in the State of Texas.

Possibly Federal as well.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Seems the Marahals and FBI is involved. One article said he may have fled the country.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015...an-couch.html/
Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,301 Times in 13,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5000 View Post
Seems the Marahals and FBI is involved. One article said he may have fled the country.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015...an-couch.html/

also a shocker (not)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
istrueblue (12-27-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
I do believe "harboring a fugitive" is a felony offense in the State of Texas.

Possibly Federal as well.
It would be a stretch to charge federal except and unless it is demonstrated that they crossed State lines in the act of fleeing. While a stretch could be made to invoke wire laws for any email or bank transactions, they wouldn't go to that extent here...
Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
It would be a stretch to charge federal except and unless it is demonstrated that they crossed State lines in the act of fleeing. While a stretch could be made to invoke wire laws for any email or bank transactions, they wouldn't go to that extent here...
I thought I heard on CNN yesterday (it was playing in the background at work so I can't be sure) that the dad told investigators that mom and son's passports were "missing"...

I just hope they had the forethought to travel to a non-extradition country. Because lots of former "safe-havens" for fugitives like Thailand and other places aren't putting up with scofflaws hiding out within their borders these days any more... they are turning them in and handing them over.

Considering the kid's continuing "party hardy" behavior, he'll probably be in trouble wherever he ends up in short order, so he'll likely come to the attention of whatever authorities wherever he ends up, so his little romp away may not last that long either way...
Old 12-21-2015, 02:14 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,951 Times in 2,166 Posts

I'm sure mom "helping" junior get out of situations of his own making isn't going to be good for anyone in the long run but it seems he may be dealing with an addiction and I hope he is able to come to terms with needing help (if that is the case) and find a way to try and put what is left of his life in order. At least he still has a chance to live a meaningful life, unlike the people he killed.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Experts: Ethan Couch will run out of money or get caught online

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...edia/77882724/

Quote:
FORT WORTH Bounty hunters and private investigators say the search for Ethan Couch will likely end when the "affluenza" teen runs out of money, or gets caught using social media.

And if Couch is out of the country, he likely fled north, they surmised.

If hes not in Canada, hes out West somewhere, said Brian Couch, a bounty hunter at Arlington-based TX Spartan Group (and no relation to the fugitive).
Old 12-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Experts: Ethan Couch will run out of money or get caught online

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...edia/77882724/
All of that seems to fall in the same category as "in other news, water is wet."

I absolutely do concur that social media will be their downfall...I just do not envision a kid in this era being able to quit being narcissistic and walk away from social media. He will post because that is what today's generation does...and SOMEONE is going to give him up for the reward money.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Owned

Just got a CNN news flash. Mom and son nabbed in Mexico.

'Affluenza' teen Ethan Couch detained in Mexico

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/us/mex...ned/index.html

Last edited by safran; 12-28-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Old 12-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Wow, that was sure quick!

Wonder if mom is gonna get charged as well? No word on her complicity yet, it would seem...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Owned

It would seem she's guilty as her son, but then I'm very anti enabling and I don't think she or the judge did the young man any favors.

Sometimes one really does need to tough it up and admit they're wrong.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Oh my! Is this case taking some weird twists and turns...

Turns out Mamma Bear has already been extradited and is currently being processed in Los Angeles pending her return to Texas to face a charge of hindering apprehension, a third-degree felony punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison.

But Young Ethan is fighting his extradition! He's currently being housed in a Mexican immigration center, which I understand are NOT pleasant places to do time. What's messed up, is it sounds like he's only facing 120 days jail for violating his probation, since he's still being handled with kid gloves in the juvenile system. So he's pretty much PROLONGING his punishment the longer he stays in Mexico and delays the inevitable! He's truly his own worst enemy! (Of course, once he gets through with his 120 day sentence, it sounds like the prosecutors will be moving his case to adult court, so that if he violates probation again he will be facing up to 20 years hard time -- so this is his last chance to get his act together.)

To complicate matters further, hotel employees found a HANDGUN in the hotel room they were staying in in Puerto Vallarta. Mexico, of course, practices strict gun control, and punishments for gun crimes are severe. What in the world were these two thinking?!

Source: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...e52440355.html
Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 PM

The fighting of extradition is largely based on technicalities that stem from the fact that this was a case in the juvenile justice system as opposed to one in the adult system where you have real convictions and NOT adjudications of delinquency. The same level of issue does not exist with the mother given that the relevant provisions of 38.05 of the Texas Penal Code ALSO incorporates the adjudication of delinquency...

Oh, and the time spent in a custodial status in Mexico would be applied to any jail sentence imposed for the juvenile conduct in the event that there are any claims that can actually be proven up. Granted, the first amended Motion will incorporate the leaving the State...unless they are already set to have mom fall on her sword and testi-lie that that she took little Ethan against his wishes. He doesn't have to testify at his hearing and the State would have a hard time rebutting the claim. And, absent a custody order in place and a violation being alleged by the other parent, kidnapping would be a hard sell further down the road...a hearing at which the kid COULD testify at given that jeopardy would already have attached on the original proceedings in his case.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Owned

Now Mom isn't happy with jail conditions. I don't like what she did, but it would seem after time in a Mexican jail, a California jail and now a Texas jail she should have learned a lesson. Jail time is tough.

"She expressed a slight displeasure about her accommodations, and I told her this was a jail and not a resort," Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said at a news conference.

Read the entire article below:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...108-story.html

Last edited by patchouli; 01-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 01-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Now Mom isn't happy with jail conditions. I don't like what she did, but it would seem after time in a Mexican jail, a California jail and now a Texas jail she should have learned a lesson. Jail time is tough.

"She expressed a slight displeasure about her accommodations, and I told her this was a jail and not a resort," Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said at a news conference.
The sheriff needs to stay quiet lest Tarrant County get to deal with a Motion to Change Venue. Instead, Dee is too focused on soundbites for the next election cycle.

And hopefully they have Couch housed in a single-cell environment as they would anyone else that was a high-profile case. The liability of putting her in general population could be huge...
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Owned

If she is in a single cell, and you're probably right, she can complain about the horrors of isolation. It will be at least Monday until there's more action and as much as I dislike what she did I am hoping this jail time will open her eyes to the draw backs of enabling.

Plus, I just keep thinking about the loved ones of the people that died in the wreck. I'm sure they find whining about jail conditions silly compared to what they're dealing with.

Death is forever, county jail is temporary.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
If she is in a single cell, and you're probably right, she can complain about the horrors of isolation. It will be at least Monday until there's more action and as much as I dislike what she did I am hoping this jail time will open her eyes to the draw backs of enabling.

Plus, I just keep thinking about the loved ones of the people that died in the wreck. I'm sure they find whining about jail conditions silly compared to what they're dealing with.

Death is forever, county jail is temporary.
The irony, considering how short a time she has been in Tarrant County, is that one would think she would have been asleep for at least half the time in there...granted, there isn't a sommelier to discuss the wine pairings for each meal, but after being in Mexico for a while, she ought to be used to that.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Owned

I agree. I'd guess a Texas jail would be posh compared to one in Mexico, but maybe that is her problem Maybe she expected too much out of a US jail. None of the nine I was in had any perks.

One time I got moved and was issued a nightie in addition to a uniform. I burst into tears! I'd gone many months living in and sleeping in my uniform and I felt a nightie was a true luxury. The poor jail lady had no idea why I was sobbing, but I did manage to explain to her they were tears of joy.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,570 Times in 10,696 Posts

Quote:
I'd gone many months living in and sleeping in my uniform and I felt a nightie was a true luxury. The poor jail lady had no idea why I was sobbing, but I did manage to explain to her they were tears of joy.
Good thing your explanation wasn't "It's just like Mom's!"
Old 01-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Good thing your explanation wasn't "It's just like Mom's!"
All my friends are smarty pants. ;-)

The rest of the story is I got to that jail on a Friday night and since I was a high risk of flight federal inmate the Marshalls had the phones turned off in the women's section the entire time I was there. They were off from Friday night until I left Monday morning and as you might guess I wasn't the most popular.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Wink

I don't know, I can kind of feel for the mom. One of the things she was complaining about was that the lights were too bright in her jail cell, making it difficult to sleep. They do tend to keep the lights on pretty bright in many lockups since it makes it easier for guards to do their rounds and harder for prisoners to get away with shady activity under the cover of darkness.

Indeed, that was one of the worst things clear back from my time in juvenile detention. But you do get used to it. Hell, after 5 years of that shit, I can fall asleep just fine even with bright daylight coming in through my thin window shades without a problem now. The prison "conditioning" made it pretty handy for working the graveyard shift and sleeping during the day. So at least I got something out of my prison experience.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 01-10-2016 at 02:34 AM..