Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Default Tablets finally coming to Arizona Prisons

I received information today regarding the distribution of the long promised tablets. Florence will be first receiving them sometime in July.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 PM

awesome. I visited my LO at Perryville and was given the same information. so with a tablet, they still have to pay for internet.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Is there any documentation for this?? Or a list of when each prison will be receiving them ?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Is there any documentation for this?? Or a list of when each prison will be receiving them ?
Yes. I have it I just don't know how to download it but I can type it out when I have a minute.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove1 View Post
awesome. I visited my LO at Perryville and was given the same information. so with a tablet, they still have to pay for internet.
They will not be allowed to have internet. It will be for games, music, and classes. Eventually emails and video chats
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Here's the short version
Florence (Does not include Globe unit) July 2019
Tucson Dec 2019
Perryville Nov 2019
Lewis Dec 2019
Douglas Jan 2020
Safford Jan 2020
Winslow Feb 2020
Florence Globe unit March 2020
Florence West April 2020
Kingman March 2020
Eyman June 2020
ASPC CACF April 2020
Red Rock April 2020
Marana April 2020
Yuma June 2020
Phoenix March 2020
* Dates Subject to change
Old 07-22-2019, 01:24 PM

CharleysGirl, where did you find this info? How reliable is the source?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernwgo View Post
CharleysGirl, where did you find this info? How reliable is the source?
I received it in an email from Donna Hamm of Middle Ground. In my book that's as reliable as it gets. Included in the email was a schedule of distribution from DOC
Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
I received it in an email from Donna Hamm of Middle Ground. In my book that's as reliable as it gets. Included in the email was a schedule of distribution from DOC
I received this email as well so i am cautiously optimistic.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby67 View Post
I received this email as well so i am cautiously optimistic.
Donna's usually spot on
Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Donna's usually spot on
I agree. I don't think Donna would say "Attached is the schedule and other information which was provided to us by DOC Director Charles Ryan" if it wasn't true.

And reminder to everyone the dates are always projected hopeful dates. A lot of bugs and safety factors to work out.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Cool Highly skilled

Quote:
They will not be allowed to have internet. It will be for games, music, and classes. Eventually emails and video chats
It won't take long for some to "aquire" net access.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Also wonder if they plan issue them to each inmate. Typically, it isn't long before improved models will be sold on the commissary
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
Also wonder if they plan issue them to each inmate. Typically, it isn't long before improved models will be sold on the commissary
DI 380 was put out recently. It has all the rules for distribution etc. Feel free to read it. You might be right about upgraded models but as of right now I'll be impressed when they get them at all. Been hearing this for 4 years. And if your right and someone gains internet access thay will be the excuse DOC needs to yank them
Old 09-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Being a "techie" myself with over 8 years with tablets. A DOC is going to have it's hands full... everything from shattered screens, battery problems (these units all have lithium batteries) the charger cords. Big opportunity for those that are supplying these tablets.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Cool Not necessarily

Quote:
DI 380 was put out recently. It has all the rules for distribution etc. Feel free to read it. You might be right about upgraded models but as of right now I'll be impressed when they get them at all. Been hearing this for 4 years. And if your right and someone gains internet access thay will be the excuse DOC needs to yank them
There will be rules and consequences for tampering and or altering. There will be some who have the access to get street-models "imported" that look exactly like the issued models. Besides it requires advanced knowledge to modify a unit and it's hard to open a unit and leave no evidence.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Wonder whose tablet will be approved
Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Many of the older technology as well as infrastructure throughout the system are failing or unsupported...example; the tube TV, they now sell flat screen models. Most of the in-cell radios only work sporadically and there were even issues getting them repaired back then. Hmmmm... maybe Amazon Prime, with access to books, music and movies... one can only hope.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Wonder whose tablet will be approved
Jpay is supplying
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Emerging from the dark ages. New, very expensive layer ADOC is adding WIFI management, servers, staffing to manage, control, monitor, supervise on a closed-loop environment with video chats and different levels of classification. Will have to have a very tech-savy staff to setup the libraries, music, radio stations as well as the movies. Certainly not a small investment. That not going to handle the smart phones on every yard that are WIFI hotspots. The staff usually get a half dozen a week. Will be interesting. Will mean that they will also have to deal with and entirely new form of censorship. Also means that the gangs will use new tech to transmit it's instruction both in and out. Won't have to rely on paper notes. Burst transmissions to a hotspot takes seconds, also hard to detect even harder to stop. If they intend to allow video chats (monitored of course) these tablets will have be internet capable.

Last edited by piedpiper; 09-11-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Old 09-12-2019, 05:22 AM

As I understand it the video visits will be done at a kiosk in the visit room. All that other stuff is Greek to me. I'm not tech savvy, more like dinosaur. I'm sure your right on all counts. I'm not a fan of all this. Yes, will be interesting to watch. It seems to be ok in the county jails though, but what do I know?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM

I checked out jpay's website and couldn't find out anything regarding their latest technology. It is rumored to be the units ADOC intends to use. The one news release dated back to 2015. The noted price then was $70.00 per unit. When I was in Lewis I was on Stiner but that pre-dates the big shake up in 2004. Even then there was some good tech being used by staff to detect cellphone use. In the dorm I was in there were at least 6 on any given day. Some of the youngsters would rent one and not be smart enough of when or where to use it. Staff would gang rush the dorm,tear the place to find the cellphone. I won't comment here as to how these smartphones are getting in or how much one costs. There have been a couple members of staff caught bring in 6 or 8 at a time. These are not burner phones either. Aryan Brotherhood seem to have had control of that market back then.

Last edited by piedpiper; 09-12-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I checked out jpay's website and couldn't find out anything regarding their latest technology. It is rumored to be the units ADOC intends to use. The one news release dated back to 2015. The noted price then was $70.00 per unit. When I was in Lewis I was on Stiner but that pre-dates the big shake up in 2004. Even then there was some good tech being used by staff to detect cellphone use. In the dorm I was in there were at least 6 on any given day. Some of the youngsters would rent one and not be smart enough of when or where to use it. Staff would gang rush the dorm,tear the place to find the cellphone. I won't comment here as to how these smartphones are getting in or how much one costs. There have been a couple members of staff caught bring in 6 or 8 at a time. These are not burner phones either. Aryan Brotherhood seem to have had control of that market back then.
According to DI 380 which you can look up on the DOC website it says the models are JP6 if that helps at all. They are already not following thier own policy as the tablets are supposed to be for IHP compliant inmates only. They were distributed to Central unit in Florence yesterday which is not an IHP unit. Any way the feed back I got was the movies available are 7 plus years old. Simple games for free but they are "boring ". So the initial feed back I'm hearing isn't postive. My husband started at Lewis years ago, so Im familiar with that over there
Old 09-13-2019, 11:52 AM

I feel like anything at this point is better than nothing.
Even old movies could be enjoyable and games are different than their normal day to day life.
Just gotta change their out look.
Quote:
According to DI 380 which you can look up on the DOC website it says the models are JP6 if that helps at all. They are already not following thier own policy as the tablets are supposed to be for IHP compliant inmates only. They were distributed to Central unit in Florence yesterday which is not an IHP unit. Any way the feed back I got was the movies available are 7 plus years old. Simple games for free but they are "boring ". So the initial feed back I'm hearing isn't postive. My husband started at Lewis years ago, so Im familiar with that over there
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
I feel like anything at this point is better than nothing.
Even old movies could be enjoyable and games are different than their normal day to day life.
Just gotta change their out look.
We shall see