Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Gist State Jail - Info on Jail and Release - Texas State Jail

Hello All. My son was recently transferred to the Gist State jail in Beaumont to finish out his remaining time on a state jail sentance - release Feb 2005. I've searched the forums and haven't seen any information on Gist but I'm hoping someone out there may know something, anything. I've not heard great things about state jails, but have heard even less about Gist.

We tried to visit this weekend however computers were down and the paperwork showed still in processing (even though I called Friday and they said he was eligible for visits) - love the age of PC's. No matter, we'll try again this weekend.

On another note, the state jail retainer expires February 2nd (2 year sentance). I know state jail is day for day so (barring any trouble) is the Feb date when he'll be released, or does he go through the whole parole hearing again?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 PM

Hi. My husband is in Gist. He is a TDC inmate housed there. From what my husband has told me it isn't a very good unit. However, visitation is easier to get in and out(no double gate to go through). Anyway, last weekend was supposed to be our first contact visit and the computer being down took that away. Needless to say we were both very upset. We had to get over it though. They didn't care.

I didn't think anyone else on this website had a loved one in Gist unit. As far as state jail time goes, I really don't know any more than it is day for day.

If you have any other questions about the unit, just ask. I may have an answer. My hubby has been in Gist since the end of March.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

My boyfriend has been at Gist since Dec. 2003 and I don't think it's too bad from his letters. I, personally, haven't had any trouble when visiting, but I live so far away and have to work 6 & 7 days most weeks that I've only been about 3 or 4 times. My next planned visit if for Labor Day weekend - hopefully everything will work out. Maybe I'll see yall there!

Kat
Old 09-12-2004, 09:14 PM

My son just went to the Gist Unit on Friday Sept 10, if anyone has any information they would like to share with me I would greatly appreciate it, he is 18 years old, his name is Eddie, my prayers go out to all of you, hope to find out anything thanks Lisa
Old 09-12-2004, 09:31 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Lisa,
Welcome to PTO! There doesn't seem to be alot of us here that deal with Gist Unit. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'll try to answer any questions that you have. Jess is a TDCJ inmate in Gist. He's been there since this past Christmas. If you want - send me a PM and I'll tell you what I can. Maybe next time I get down there to visit we can get together. My prayers are with you and Eddie and the rest of the family.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:19 AM
He's Home and We're Good.

Lisa, Hi, My name is Kesha and my husband is over on the Gist unit also. I've never had that computer problem, I don't know why, but the only thing I absolutely hate about the Gist Unit is that at Contact Visitation you have to share tables with other people. There are two visits at one table. Sometimes it is absolutely too damn crowded in there and you already can't hear and then you got to share a table where someone else can easily hear your conversations. But other than that, OOH. and their constant need to change the dress code at their discretion. Like this weekend. I'm glad I had on tennis shoes, because normally I wear flip flops, and Lord behold what they added to the list last week, FLIP FLOPS, So, I thank God for that. So, if there are any other concerns you were wondering about, you can let me know, PM or post here, I'll keep checking. My husband doesn't too much complain about the unit all in itself, I mean its prison. The only one thing he is upset with is that they are making him drop one of his courses, BECAUSE he has TOO many hours and they made him take his old job back , but other than that, he keeps so busy with school and work, he probably doesn't have time to get caught up in the BS of the unit itself.

2003- A New Relationship

2006- 3 Years apart

2007-Still standing

2008- Doing Good!