Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Allenwood FCI - Low & Medium
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Allenwood FCI - Low & Medium Topics, Discussions and Information relating to FCI Allenwood - Low and FCI Allenwood - Medium

Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Default To Allenwood USP from county Friday, 12/7, shouldn't he have called by now?

I am new here -- brother is 58 y/o and has spent the last almost three years in county jails waiting to be sentenced. He was sentenced very harshly and will serve the rest of his life in prison. At sentencing the psych testified he had brain dysfunction (dementia likely) but the judge basically dismissed that. Anyway, judge recommended Allenwood, but everyone though he'd be at Allenwood Medium because there supposedly is a high population of SO's there. Anyway, he was transferred to Allenwood USP from county on Friday, 12/7 -- over a week ago. I have put money on his account and written every day and still no phone call from him. I'm afraid that he has already had to ask for PC and cannot call. Shouldn't he have been able to call by now? Is this classification (max security) correct? He has never, ever been in trouble before. He is also diabetic and severe sleep apnea with a CPAP machine. I'd like to call the prison and see if they'll give me any info, but I've heard calling only makes things worse. Any advice is appreciated -- I am worried sick. For the past three years, he has called me almost every day and he knows that I am here for him. I think I'm rambling, but just so worried. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,863 Times in 15,592 Posts

Hi DKD, welcome to PTO I'm terribly sorry about your brother's sentence Have you checked BOP inmate locator to see if he's been checked in at Allenwood yet? He may still be in transit, especially if they took the long way around & had a number of pick ups.

Edit: If he is there, he may not have an approved number list yet or his pin/voice recognition, whichever BOP uses.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
DKD (12-15-2018), fbopnomore (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,983 Times in 12,183 Posts

The beginning is always the most difficult time for communication in federal prisons. Since this is his first federal prison, it will take time for him to be allowed to call you, but one week is usual. He has to meet with his counselor, give a list of all phone numbers he will be allowed to call, wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin number in the mail, and set up "voice recognition". He will receive your letters, but he probably won't be able to reply until after he buys stamps & stationary at the commissary during his one day a week shopping period. By already putting money on his books, he will eventually be able to shop, and make phone calls.

USP Allenwood is frequently on "lockdown" which severely limits time out of the cells, which stops phone calls. I hope you hear from him soon.

If he is in the SHU, he will still receive your letters, but will be limited to one short phone call every month.

I think it is too early to call the prison to ask about your brother, Make sure to tell him to file a HIPAA information disclosure authorization at the medical department. Even so, don't expect much information.

He will be called out to meet with medical quickly. He already met with a triage person so his urgent issues should have been addressed temporarily. He should make sure to discuss all of his medical problems, prescriptions, insulin, cpap, bottom bunk pass, etc. They will require him to purchase any medications that are sold OTC at the commissary, but he should be considered a chronically ill prisoner, which eliminates co-payments for medical visits.

If you have more questions, the bop is confusing on purpose, be sure to ask.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-15-2018 at 08:36 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
DKD (12-15-2018), patchouli (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:49 PM

Thank you so much for the info and words of encouragement. I am just praying that he doesn't stay at USP because he'll probably end up having to request PC, which I know is the SHU. How can he spend the rest of his life in the SHU? Can this really be possible? Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-16-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The beginning is always the most difficult time for communication in federal prisons. Since this is his first federal prison, it will take time for him to be allowed to call you, but one week is usual. He has to meet with his counselor, give a list of all phone numbers he will be allowed to call, wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin number in the mail, and set up "voice recognition". He will receive your letters, but he probably won't be able to reply until after he buys stamps & stationary at the commissary during his one day a week shopping period. By already putting money on his books, he will eventually be able to shop, and make phone calls.

USP Allenwood is frequently on "lockdown" which severely limits time out of the cells, which stops phone calls. I hope you hear from him soon.

If he is in the SHU, he will still receive your letters, but will be limited to one short phone call every month.

I think it is too early to call the prison to ask about your brother, Make sure to tell him to file a HIPAA information disclosure authorization at the medical department. Even so, don't expect much information.

He will be called out to meet with medical quickly. He already met with a triage person so his urgent issues should have been addressed temporarily. He should make sure to discuss all of his medical problems, prescriptions, insulin, cpap, bottom bunk pass, etc. They will require him to purchase any medications that are sold OTC at the commissary, but he should be considered a chronically ill prisoner, which eliminates co-payments for medical visits.

If you have more questions, the bop is confusing on purpose, be sure to ask.
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to tell him about the HIPPA release. I sent him two books from Amazon. If he is in the SHU, can he receive those?
The Following User Says Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,983 Times in 12,183 Posts

He will probably receive the books from Amazon if he is in the SHU as long as they were shipped by US Mail, but it depends on the prison's policy. I did receive them in two different USPs.

Asking for protective custody in federal prison is the last resort because it is spent living in the SHU. I hope he doesn't have enough trouble to even have to consider it.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

My husband is on his way to Allenwood USP from McCreary KY where he was attacked within a week of getting there. He almost died the first week in PC. He wasn't allowed books in PC there. All he had was a torn up bible and a radio that worked some of the time. I don't know why he was attacked. He said something they saw in the law library or pacer lead to it but his attorney said there is nothing in the documents that would target him. I hope Allenwood is better but I suspect not. I am afraid the next attack will kill him.