Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Hello y'all.. new to this whole life

Just want to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm new to all this.. My name is Jessica and my fiance was sentenced to 4 years on Dec. 27th, 2019. He is at the Red Rock Correctional Center as of the 2nd this month. I'm waiting to be approved to see him/get calls. Hoping everything goes smoothly with all that and that it doesn't take too long! I've only received one letter since he's been there and that was with the 1 free envelope they give them to let family know where they are. I've already sent 4 letters to him and going crazy not getting anything back yet. hopefully soon.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,814 Times in 13,674 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the Arizona forums Jessica. The beginning, during orientation, is the most difficult time for communications but that will improve eventually.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:15 AM

He has probably not gotten a chance to order commissary yet, since he just arrived. Also, holiday there is a flux of people going in and out of the system so that could add some delay on getting everyone through orientation, it will get better.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
Jess8573 (01-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:33 AM

How are things going? I am curious as my husband gets sentenced next month and I am already freaking out with worry about how we will.get to communicate since most of the male prisons do not have tablets yet. He's signing a 7 year sentence but we are hoping he will be out in 50% time
The Following User Says Thank You to ShawnsWife2020 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-22-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnsWife2020 View Post
How are things going? I am curious as my husband gets sentenced next month and I am already freaking out with worry about how we will.get to communicate since most of the male prisons do not have tablets yet. He's signing a 7 year sentence but we are hoping he will be out in 50% time

My friend was sentenced yesterday to 50 years, he turned 55 in April, so basically a life sentence. He is in Camp Verde and apparently will be in isolation for the next 2 weeks before being sent to Alhambra. His attorney is going to try to push him through intake without the 2 week quarantine so he will be placed. It is hard, the want family / friends to keep in touch but with the way things work it's almost impossible. This is all new to me but feel free to reach out.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhalliburton View Post
My friend was sentenced yesterday to 50 years, he turned 55 in April, so basically a life sentence. He is in Camp Verde and apparently will be in isolation for the next 2 weeks before being sent to Alhambra. His attorney is going to try to push him through intake without the 2 week quarantine so he will be placed. It is hard, the want family / friends to keep in touch but with the way things work it's almost impossible. This is all new to me but feel free to reach out.
It's definitely been difficult. Mine just spent 97 days in county disciplinary with 30 of them being LOP days. Now one county is trying to change a plea agreement so he'd be sentenced to 12 years instead of 7.

I just don't get why they do these sentences. Murderers get less time.

How is your friend holding up with the sentence? They keep them in Alhambra longer now because of covid...are they trying to isolate him twice?
Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you have to serve more then 50% in AZ. I believe 75% is the least for certain offenders.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to serve more then 50% in AZ. I believe 75% is the least for certain offenders.
We've had more complications in his case....So now his 7 could be 12 (I'm dying). 85% is normal, but I've heard there are ways to get it down once he gets to prison....but I'm not sure. He's trusting what some of the other guys that have been to prison before are telling him.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
We've had more complications in his case....So now his 7 could be 12 (I'm dying). 85% is normal, but I've heard there are ways to get it down once he gets to prison....but I'm not sure. He's trusting what some of the other guys that have been to prison before are telling him.
I have not heard of anything they can do. This is his second time in and I research everything. Not even the classes he has taken have given him anything special.
Even then AZ has a mandatory time served percentage and that is more than 50%

Hopefully new laws pass in your favor.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:47 PM
here

You serve flat time, which is every day you were sentenced to, or you can serve 85%, but that's conditional, and as low as it will go without changes to the laws. It's stated at sentencing, so you know from day one which it is. There is no time for "good behavior" in Arizona

Old 06-27-2020, 07:49 PM

We are just hoping the new laws pass and get enough signatures

It would allow 1 for 1 and resentencing for those that had time based on their "category" there are also a few others floating around
Old 06-28-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
It's definitely been difficult. Mine just spent 97 days in county disciplinary with 30 of them being LOP days. Now one county is trying to change a plea agreement so he'd be sentenced to 12 years instead of 7.

I just don't get why they do these sentences. Murderers get less time.

How is your friend holding up with the sentence? They keep them in Alhambra longer now because of covid...are they trying to isolate him twice?

He is still in Camp Verde. He had sentencing on Monday, we have a video visit on Tuesday and they had him on suicide watch. He was wearing "turtle suit". Looked like a bullet proof vest style thing, nothing else, wouldn't even let him wear his glasses! Broke my heart.

We are thinking he will be transferred on the 9th or 10th. I don't understand the sentencing structure, as you said, murderers get less time than some other crimes. I thought prison was supposed to be for "rehabilitation" not lock you up and throw away the key. At least you have release, he's gone for life Do you know where they are thinking of sending him?

Since we don't know when he will be moved or how long we won't have contact I've been scheduling video visits every other day. His sister/mom are doing it a couple times a week also. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with not being able to be in communication. This whole things sucks!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhalliburton View Post
He is still in Camp Verde. He had sentencing on Monday, we have a video visit on Tuesday and they had him on suicide watch. He was wearing "turtle suit". Looked like a bullet proof vest style thing, nothing else, wouldn't even let him wear his glasses! Broke my heart.

We are thinking he will be transferred on the 9th or 10th. I don't understand the sentencing structure, as you said, murderers get less time than some other crimes. I thought prison was supposed to be for "rehabilitation" not lock you up and throw away the key. At least you have release, he's gone for life Do you know where they are thinking of sending him?

Since we don't know when he will be moved or how long we won't have contact I've been scheduling video visits every other day. His sister/mom are doing it a couple times a week also. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with not being able to be in communication. This whole things sucks!
I'm so sorry. That's awful

He's getting sentenced July 8 and July 15. July 15 will determine concurrent or consecutive so I've been begging any entity that will listen to please at least let us have concurrent.

I have no idea where he will go. I moved to the valley a few months ago in order to be close to visit him, so I'm hoping he will be placed close, but there's no way to know.

He thinks he'll stay in county till beginning of August before they transport him. He hates county and would rather be in prison, but I'm grateful for the possibility of extra time to get to talk and text and Buddhist with him
Old 06-30-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry. That's awful

He's getting sentenced July 8 and July 15. July 15 will determine concurrent or consecutive so I've been begging any entity that will listen to please at least let us have concurrent.

I have no idea where he will go. I moved to the valley a few months ago in order to be close to visit him, so I'm hoping he will be placed close, but there's no way to know.

He thinks he'll stay in county till beginning of August before they transport him. He hates county and would rather be in prison, but I'm grateful for the possibility of extra time to get to talk and text and Buddhist with him

We live in the Prescott area so no matter where he is sent it is at least 2.5 hours away. I've known him 40 years so I wrote a character letter as did many other people who've known him since he moved to this area in 1976. This is his first time in any trouble in his life, sadly a serious offense.

I have a 34 yr old son, I didn't raise him, his father did in CA and he has served 3 prison terms. My son agrees, county jails suck and life is better in a prison setting. Right now in jail all they do is stagnate, nothing to occupy their time except cards and scrabble games.

I'm here if you need to chat. I feel for you