Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Having flashbacks and nightmares of my time in prison. Help!

I keep having flashbacks and nightmares of my time in prison, and it's really bothering me. I feel like I can't sleep without having horrible nightmares. Many bad things happen to me during my time and I just want too forget about it, but these nightmares and flashbacks is really bothering me. Also with my depression it's getting worse. Is there anything I can do? I already been to a psychiatrist and it's no help. My boyfriend is also trying to help but no use. The worst part is that I'm pregnant and I don't want my depression or me feeling like this effect my baby.. someone please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 953 Posts

Maybe you should try yoga or calming therapy. Or essential oils for calming also before you go to sleep maybe take a nice hot bath and use lavender. Always think positive thoughts before bed.

The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:36 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,661 Times in 7,086 Posts

Sounds like you need something other than a psychiatrist. In the US anyway, psychiatrists mainly offer medication for various mental disorders. They suck as therapists and many do not offer therapy. Psychologists are trained in talk therapy and suck at medication. In most US states, they cannot prescribe medications. Taken together, a psychiatrist and a psychologist can offer your best chance at processing trauma in a way that leaves you better able to cope with whatever happened. You are never going to be able to forget what happened. Reconcile yourself to that little fact. What you can do is process the trauma and learn how to live with it in a way that it doesn't adversely affect you.

Try some psychotherapy, talk therapy in addition to medication. Meditation and other forms of self help are important, but getting some professional psychotherapy would also be a good idea.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2017), Minor activist (11-12-2017), NeedStrength77 (11-11-2017), Nickel Timer (11-12-2017), Scott (11-12-2017), xolady (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Definitely I️ suggest that you seek out professional help, whether it be holistic or other. Some issues are bigger than us
The Following User Says Thank You to NeedStrength77 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoto's May View Post
I keep having flashbacks and nightmares of my time in prison, and it's really bothering me. I feel like I can't sleep without having horrible nightmares. Many bad things happen to me during my time and I just want too forget about it, but these nightmares and flashbacks is really bothering me. Also with my depression it's getting worse. Is there anything I can do? I already been to a psychiatrist and it's no help. My boyfriend is also trying to help but no use. The worst part is that I'm pregnant and I don't want my depression or me feeling like this effect my baby.. someone please help.
If your psychiatrist isn't helping you, look for another one who can. Not every psychiatrist can help every patient.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:14 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

If you can find someone who specializes in trauma therapy that sounds like what you need.

I'm clueless about how the Japanese health care system works. In the US I'd suggest Googling "EMDR", which is a therapy technique to treat flashbacks.

Meantime, maybe it will help to hear this from a stranger:
I believe you.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:59 AM

Thanked 1,686 Times in 832 Posts

IMO, healing will never come if a person is not willing to commit to some brutal, raw and fucking painful observation of themselves. If you are willing to invest every ounce of energy you have, and be 100% dedicated to unravelling the layers of the onion, you will heal.

There are other forms of healing you can look into, but it is up to you to research and be willing to try. You could try EFT (emotional freedom technique), youtube and google are you best friend. There is also Reiki, which is energy healing, acupuncture, acupressure, yoga, among other options.

I have to ask; do you really want to heal, or is there a payoff you are getting for living in the past? I say this not to be a bitch but sometimes we get trapped in the sea of negativity and victimization and it is up to us to take our power back and do whatever it takes to get better.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Are you really ready to let go of the past? I hope you are and don't give up, your unborn child deserves better than what you are giving it. Rise up, stand tall, seek out help and be willing to deal with some pretty deep shit! Trying to ignore your pain, is never going to help, until you acknowledge what has happened and be willing to feel it all over again. Therapy is not about just having someone to talk to or meds to take, it is about being vulnerable and scared shitless at times.

You can overcome this, but you must be willing to let go of and quit making excuses. I hope you find the right modality for your healing process.
Scott (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
IMO, healing will never come if a person is not willing to commit to some brutal, raw and fucking painful observation of themselves. If you are willing to invest every ounce of energy you have, and be 100% dedicated to unravelling the layers of the onion, you will heal.

There are other forms of healing you can look into, but it is up to you to research and be willing to try. You could try EFT (emotional freedom technique), youtube and google are you best friend. There is also Reiki, which is energy healing, acupuncture, acupressure, yoga, among other options.

I have to ask; do you really want to heal, or is there a payoff you are getting for living in the past? I say this not to be a bitch but sometimes we get trapped in the sea of negativity and victimization and it is up to us to take our power back and do whatever it takes to get better.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Are you really ready to let go of the past? I hope you are and don't give up, your unborn child deserves better than what you are giving it. Rise up, stand tall, seek out help and be willing to deal with some pretty deep shit! Trying to ignore your pain, is never going to help, until you acknowledge what has happened and be willing to feel it all over again. Therapy is not about just having someone to talk to or meds to take, it is about being vulnerable and scared shitless at times.

You can overcome this, but you must be willing to let go of and quit making excuses. I hope you find the right modality for your healing process.
Thank you..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyoto's May For This Useful Post:
JustBeingMe67 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

Let's stay focused that this is about nightmares and flashbacks and not about living in the past.