Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
None Ya

Default scdc visitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyman76 View Post
Is it your bf , hubby, or what? Bc at kirkland u can only see them if u r immediate family. It prob depends on the size of piercings. i wouldnt think they would go off unless you have several.Nikki
I am listed as his common-law wife. I thought they might not let me visit but he said I would be able to. I really hope so! I have 2 piercings below the neck and the last time I took them out I couldn't get them back in and ended up having to get it done again a couple of years later. Do you think I should call and ask the guards at the front gate? I know I am gonna go off big time already because I have 2 rods in my back and they go the whole length of my back. My dr is sending me a medical card for that though.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Michael's Fiancee

Default Aquvasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquvasha View Post
I am listed as his common-law wife. I thought they might not let me visit but he said I would be able to. I really hope so! I have 2 piercings below the neck and the last time I took them out I couldn't get them back in and ended up having to get it done again a couple of years later. Do you think I should call and ask the guards at the front gate? I know I am gonna go off big time already because I have 2 rods in my back and they go the whole length of my back. My dr is sending me a medical card for that though.
I wouldnt worry about taking them out then. The least they know the better I say. After you go off in the medical detector they will "feel you up" thats how my mom puts it. They use a same sex guard to feel you to check u don't have nothing u r not suppose too. My mom said they got on the sides of her boobs this time and she giggled b/c it tickled and the male guard with the drug dog laughed at her. So I would say you should be fine b/c when u go off they will think its for the rods and when they feel u they shouldnt be able to feel the piercings. Anything else let me know. Nikki P.S. Common law wife is on the list to be able to visit at Kirkland but it is still a touchy subject I hate to say it but depends on the guard at the desk. To see them why at Kirkland you have to call and make an appt and visitation is only 2 hrs long. How far do you have to drive b/c it may be better to wait til he gets moved b/c it is a lot easier and visits are 3 and 4 hrs long. Also you can only visit one day when he gets moved you can visit both sat and sun.

Last edited by Missingmyman76; 06-03-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
None Ya

Default scdc visitation

Thank you so much. I feel a lot better about visiting now. I only live about an hour from kirkland so I want to go as much as they will let me. I just hope they don't move him too far away. I lost my dl and will have to get someone to take me so it is good that he is there for now.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 PM

My daughter has the rods in her back as well, do I need to get a medical paper for her? She isn't his daughter either, does that matter, but he is her step father. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I also need to know where do I go to get our youngest daughters other birth certificate? Cause the pocket card one wont do.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Default replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paorsetti View Post
My daughter has the rods in her back as well, do I need to get a medical paper for her? She isn't his daughter either, does that matter, but he is her step father. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I also need to know where do I go to get our youngest daughters other birth certificate? Cause the pocket card one wont do.
Yes u have to have a medical card from her dr-- just tell them u need it for a metal detector and they should know what you need. You can contact your dss worker where your other daughter was born and they can tell you how to get the long form. His stepdaughter will have to have whatever paperwork that shows he is her stepdad. you can go on the scdc website and it will tell you info u need when u take the kids. Also if they are over 12 i think they have to be on his visitation list. if i can help in any other way please let me know, Nikki

Auqavash you cant have anyone drop you off at any prison-- if u can't drive --then the person who is driving u has to be on their list also..Sorry!! Dont forget too you have to make an appt at kirkland. If u need anything else just holler at me, Nikki also remember whoever takes u to kirkland has to be immed family and on the list.

Last edited by Missingmyman76; 06-04-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
None Ya

Default scdc visitation

I can't have someone take me and drop me off?? Oh no...what do I do about that?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
I can't have someone take me and drop me off?? Oh no...what do I do about that?

Yes but this is where you have to be careful. If visitation is cancelled/denied for some reason, you'll have to leave the property to wait on your ride. Since they don't allow cell phones, and they don't allow you to use the phones at the desk, you could be in a tough situation.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Choc it depends on where they are a lot of the prisons don't allow drop offs at all. So aqua find out before you go. I have several diff family members foing to several diff prisons and so far they have all been told no drop offs. B/c a few of them don't drive. But that is the ones that I have heard of it so like choc said be very careful. nikki

Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
None Ya

I called and asked about it. They said it was ok. So, I have all my ducks in a row and now just waiting to hear about visitation approval. I thought I would know by now, but still waiting. Hurry up and wait, ugh! I hate waiting but I am getting used to it. Finding PTO has been such a blessing. I can't thank all of you enough for your help. Just being able to see how others handle this is helping me handle it. I am still hoping and praying for an appeal, but if it doesn't happen I am settled in for the long haul.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquvasha For This Useful Post:
Missingmyman76 (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
I called and asked about it. They said it was ok. So, I have all my ducks in a row and now just waiting to hear about visitation approval. I thought I would know by now, but still waiting. Hurry up and wait, ugh! I hate waiting but I am getting used to it. Finding PTO has been such a blessing. I can't thank all of you enough for your help. Just being able to see how others handle this is helping me handle it. I am still hoping and praying for an appeal, but if it doesn't happen I am settled in for the long haul.
Is he still at R/E? He will get a paper to say you are approved and he will have to tell you. i know when my bf got the paper he mailed it to me. LOL but I still didnt get to see him for over a month due to money situation. And now its been almost a month since i saw him and its driving me nutty. I had over a 4 hr drive when I left him that Sun and cried at least half way home. All I can say is EPSI is making a killing off of us b/c he calls at least once a day. Nikki

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 PM
None Ya

Yes, my man is still at r & e. I talked to him this morning and he said he was supposed to go to medical within the next couple of weeks to see about his surgery, so I guess he is going to be there a while. I am so scared for him. How in the world am I supposed to handle knowing he is gonna have surgery and not know when, or be there if something goes wrong, or even know if something goes wrong?!! I am going to be a complete mess. So, now I have no idea when or if I will be able to visit him and if he will even be able to call me. Plus they only get the 2 envelopes to write with and he just got them and has already used them. I'm just really freaking out about this.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
Yes, my man is still at r & e. I talked to him this morning and he said he was supposed to go to medical within the next couple of weeks to see about his surgery, so I guess he is going to be there a while. I am so scared for him. How in the world am I supposed to handle knowing he is gonna have surgery and not know when, or be there if something goes wrong, or even know if something goes wrong?!! I am going to be a complete mess. So, now I have no idea when or if I will be able to visit him and if he will even be able to call me. Plus they only get the 2 envelopes to write with and he just got them and has already used them. I'm just really freaking out about this.
So sorry to hear hes having surgery but if its not something that has to be done right away they won't believe me. They just finally told my bf he has neuropathy in his feet and still no meds for it and he has pancreatitis which can kill him and they gave him shit for bloating. and if you talk to him again tell him to fill out a medical form so u can call and talk to someone to find out about his surgery don't remember the name of it but he can find out. Also just b/c he going to have surgery they can bring him back for it. They had to take my b/f back to r/e to have stomach xrays. Hes stopping taking all his meds except his diabetes med so hopefully they will take him off his med restrictions so he can get moved. Nikki

Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
His One And Only:)

question,do you have to have a valid license to visit?

Distance could never break love as stronge as Ours

I found my prince charming and trust me we will have our happy ending!!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsallworthit View Post
question,do you have to have a valid license to visit?

You have to have a valid photo ID (drivers lisence, state ID) showing the address that you listed on the visitation form. If you do not, you will not be allowed to visit.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
His One And Only:)

thanks!

Distance could never break love as stronge as Ours

I found my prince charming and trust me we will have our happy ending!!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM
His Virtuous Woman

Okay,

I went to visit my fiance at Tyger River today. I waited in line and finally went through the metal detector. I know I didn't have anything on me, but it went off. Turns out I had forgot to take my bluetooth off. Will I loose my visitation rights? Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Default Rules for Kershaw Facility

Hi, I just recently found my ex. I found out he is in the Kershaw facility and we have been writing back and forth. I really want to go see him but I don't know how visitation works. I hear that you are not allowed to visit if you have a felony conviction. Is this true? Also I know nothing about SC prisons. I know in VA there are some facilities that when you visit you are actually in the same room with the person (not just through glass). How long are the visits and what are you allowed to take with you? I just don't want to drive 6 hours and they not let me in. I really want to see him and I'm sure he'd like to see me. He doesn't have anyone that comes to see him and I know how it feels to be locked up with nobody who cares. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM

You have to het him to send you a visitation form and usually if you are a convicted felon you can not visit. My ex was at Wateree level 2 and we sat across from each other with no glass and we could give a quick hug and kiss at the beginning and end of the visit. I will warn you though- I sent my visitation form in this time last year and because of the holidays it took over 4 weeks to get approved. My brother did one the following January and it only took a week or so to get approved. The inmate will get the sheet saying if you were approved or denied and it is there responsibility to let you know. I hope this helps. Also they have a strict dress code so if you would like info on that just let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to sgrinstead For This Useful Post:
truluv4life (12-13-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Anyone?

It's been a while now since I visited Turbeville CI. I have forgotten the dress code. It seems like I remember something about not being able to wear blue jeans inside. I remember about the shirts, jewelry etc. but can't remember colors! I know NO WHITE! Can anyone help me out? I have my first visit with him tonight and I am his 4 year old brother with me and I really don't want us turned around because I can't remember what we can wear. I tried to call the visitation line in Columbia but as usual can only get a voicemail that hasn't been returned.

Thank you so very much for any info!
Wendi

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I'M ON CALL TO BE THERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissinJoe View Post
Hi, I just recently found my ex. I found out he is in the Kershaw facility and we have been writing back and forth. I really want to go see him but I don't know how visitation works. I hear that you are not allowed to visit if you have a felony conviction. Is this true? Also I know nothing about SC prisons. I know in VA there are some facilities that when you visit you are actually in the same room with the person (not just through glass). How long are the visits and what are you allowed to take with you? I just don't want to drive 6 hours and they not let me in. I really want to see him and I'm sure he'd like to see me. He doesn't have anyone that comes to see him and I know how it feels to be locked up with nobody who cares. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks
It's true in SC you won't get approved for visitation if you have a felony conviction, or even a pending felony (which I feel is saying I am guilty before being convicted) because I called and spoke with them and it is also on the SCDC web page. The only way around this is if you are immediate family or married. I'm waiting to get record expunged to try again, good luck to you.

"Enough to hold you to the brightest of lights,
to place you dangerously close to that sun,
enough to acknowledge the flaws you can't ignore
and recognize the cause of what's done is done..."
Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM

My 2 grandchildren and myself are approved to see my son. So all I will need is their picture ID (both over 10 yrs) when I take them to visit? I've never taken them before. He is at Perry.

Last edited by tornheartstring; 02-07-2011 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: wanted to put the prison he is at.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM

My man is at kirkland but we are not married beenliving together for over a yearand have a newborn. When i sent in the visitation form i put that our relationship was common law wife. will i get to see him?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
LOVING DTH!

yea you should be able too. I think you have to call and set up an appt to visit..so im sure theyll tell you on the phone

Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Is there any way to find out if a visitation application has been denied? I've tried calling 803-896-1838 and the voice mail box is full so I can't leave a message.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Loving and missing Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn6882 View Post
My man is at kirkland but we are not married beenliving together for over a yearand have a newborn. When i sent in the visitation form i put that our relationship was common law wife. will i get to see him?

You will NOT be allowed to visit him while is at Kirkland for R & E. Thats my relationship status and it is only their legal wife and immediate family members(mom, dad). My husband has been in a little over 2 years and my kids(that call him daddy) havent been allowed to visit not once!