Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Nimuay Domestic Violence Support Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Nimuay Domestic Violence Support Forum News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,248 Times in 7,897 Posts
Default "Behind Closed Door", BBC film on DV

Behind Closed Doors
"Shot over 12 months, and starting from the moment a 999 call is received, the film follows three brave women who each waive their right to anonymity to show how insidious and terrifying domestic abuse can be. The complex emotions involved when someone you love becomes violent are also exposed, as are the difficulties for police when those feelings mean victims are not completely honest."

I viewed this film tonight (available on Netflix as of the date of this post). While the documentary focuses on three cases of physical violence, the harder to understand aspects of abuse are shown as well-- why do women stay, why do they leave and go back, why aren't the abusers locked up if it's that bad?

Full film available here on YouTube.

***Trigger warning, graphic injuries are shown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-09-2016), Sarianna (09-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,063 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion.... Will watch this tonight on Netflix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-09-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Default I saw that one too!

I watched this the other night after the kids went to bed. It was like watching my life. It was heartbreaking. I can't remember the woman's name but she had met up with her boyfriend while there was an RO in place at a restaurant and the police detective called her out on it. I remember what that was like. Battered Women's Syndrome is very real. We are essentially brainwashed and it takes a long time to be deprogrammed. My ex would come to me saying he was freezing or hungry and I would give him shelter for a night or two and then he would hold that against me by saying he was going to turn me in for violating the RO. An officer told me that he was a grown man and that I was not responsible for him and to make sure I kept away from him no matter what. That struck a chord in me. It's so hard to finally cut ties but you have to do it. It's a life or death decision.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uofarkchick For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (09-19-2016), miamac (09-19-2016), Sarianna (09-19-2016), sharalynn0125 (10-01-2016)