Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Hmmm?

They want to protect the inmates from the Flu? No confirmed cases of the Flu in any facility - yet our children still attend school each week and there have been confirmed cases in students?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aishah_M For This Useful Post:
donutandpickle (05-08-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM

Default limitations on visits

I can understand your problem. I just found out today that I will not be albe to see my husband either there is a state wide ban on visitation! this is totally bogus. I wrote to the SC DOC about it and Mr. Gelinas, did reply a First for me since they never have taken the time to answer any of my other questions. I had been searching on line for more information on this. I am normally not so surprised by the limitation on the intelligence of this State, or maybe there is more to this then is being released, it is a possibility. If there is please feel free to correct my logic. But when the President of the United States (with far more resources than the state) request that the schools stop closing for the virus I would think that the State would follow, his lead. Now from what I read in the Greenville paper, the State is limiting visitation to "protect the inmates" that is ridicule, are the guards and administrators also limited? I don't think so it seems to me that this is just a good way to frustrate the inmates or maybe they aren't suppose know that the guards are free to visit anywhere "even where there are confirmed cases of the virus" or if they do they are magically unable to transmit the virus? It appears to me the real reason is to limit the money being spent for at least one week. If this is the case then the State is about a week late, we the general public would have bought that hook line and sinker last week not today. Sincerely BJ Reynolds
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookeSC View Post
I am so upset! My younger daughter and I were not allowed to visit my husband last weekend due to a "temporary visitation ban" for all prisons in Greenville, Laurens and Newberry counties, due to Swine Flu. I understood then, but now they are telling us DHEC has extended the ban "until further notice".

Problem is that my older daughter and our three precious granddaughters--ages five months, two and four--are travelling from Kansas to see their Papa, and now there is a good chance they won't get to visit him. And they cannot reschedule the trip; they are on their way.

They were turned away at Christmas due to a problem with their visitation forms (even though we did everything correct) and that was hard enough. My husband has been counting the days for months until he sees his angels, and if they don't get to see him at this visit, they may not be able to return until Christmas! They are a military family and visits here are few and far between. He actually said a couple of weeks ago that "Right now, knowing that I will be soon be seeing the babies keeps me going. I can't wait to hold them!"

This is just so very sad. They can stay only two weeks, so I hope and pray that the ban is lifted for at least one of the weekends! The older two miss Papa dreadfully, and the baby has not even had the opportunity to know him yet.

Thanks for lending me your virtual shoulders...hope you all are having a blessed week.

Brooke
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Default Advice from DHEC!

No more likely the "advice" came from the state's limited funds. YOU are right this is insane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan View Post
I'm not believing all of this! Swine flu??? And I heard the advice came from DHEC!
This is insane!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
love my muffin

Yeah my honey just told me today that at Ridgeland they cancelled visitation until further notice because of the swine flu!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
His One And Only:)

Thats what I dont get if they are sooo worried about the swine flu why are they sending the inmates out to work where they could get it Yes there is going to be no visits cause yup they are gonna be short staff and to save money!! This is wrong!!!
Something has to give in other states the prisons arent acting this crazy!!

Distance could never break love as stronge as Ours

I found my prince charming and trust me we will have our happy ending!!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM

this is crazy!!!!!my daughter drove there to mccormick from ny to see her brother whom hasnt had a visit in 5 yrs and this happens.my son is so pissed he cant see his sister after all, inmates get the flu and other illnesses in the prisons,its not like they care.l told my daughter to get them to reimburst for the gas and hotel for a waste of trip to sc.also she had called there before she left ny,to find out the hrs on friday,(today) and they should of told her then there was gonna be no visits,she told them she was coming from ny too.l,m angry,upset.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM

well they should have told her that that they had a excucation today and when that happens all prisons are on lockdown. i tried to call my senator and ask about the visation issue today but only got answering machine now all you out there need to start writing your senators about your issues and maybe we can start getting something done.if you don't try then you can't complain about it. it just like voting if you don't vote the you have no right to complain about what the polition did. but if you voted then you can complain wheither it was the one you voted for or the one who you did not vote for. so send out those letters the more letters the more likely they will do something.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Default SC Prison visitation

I had written the state about this here is the reply I got
Donna Hodges <Hodges.Donna@doc.state.sc.us>
dateFri, May 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM I sent my question in at 10:00AM
subjectRE: notice my question is [SPAM] limitation on visitation
mailed-bydoc.state.sc.us Reply

You may call 803/896-1838, press 2 and listen to a message in reference to the suspension of visitation for this weekend.

When I called the message was visitation at all SC prison is canceled for May, 8, 9, 10 and 11 the restriction will be reconsidered on Monday May 11.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Donation Award 

Interesting Statement from SC DHEC:

Guidance for Prisons & Jails We recommend that prisons and jails in South Carolina screen visitors to make sure none have come in contact with the H1N1 flu virus. We also recommend that institutions implement certain practices to reduce the risk of infection from the H1N1 flu virus.
This is the advice we gave the S.C. Department of Corrections when that agency asked us for guidance on prison visitation during the H1N1 flu outbreak.
The Department of Corrections ultimately decided it was in the best interest of their staff and inmates to restrict visitation altogether until the outbreak subsides. All agencies are free to craft their own protective policies, and we understand and respect their decisions.

He's Home!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM

well i called goodman this morning they said no visitation now people start writing your seneators your governor does not care all they do is forward your complaint to the dc noe senator mick mulvaney cell phone 803-246-1001 who is my senator is on the corrections commity now if you go to the sc legisglator web site you can go to senate then find your senator and write then or call mine he has his cell phone listed on the seneate site they all have their home address listed now this is the only way to get anything done.you have the right to free speach and they represente you and they are supposed to help you.now do something
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM

Default may 11th?

as surely we've all heard....on the recording for the visitation inquiry line it says visitation is canceled for may 8,9,10, and 11....monday was a visitation day?? does anyone know if they will possibly allow visitation on monday once they "re-evaluate" and are back in their offices monday morning???
Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 AM

it is best to call the institutation where you would go to visit. because the hotline was wrong about goodman last weekend.so i would call where i was going.go to the sc dc web site look up institutations and get the phone # and call direct. thats what i do
Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Monday 11

My husband just told me it was a State holiday, Confederate Day? who knew.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Default What!

You can almost see them scratching there heads at DHEC collectively wondering to themselves what small minded ninny cretin dolt read "don't let the inmates see their families", into screen visitors. Or perhaps it would just be to hard for the idiots to believe that the visitors could read the statements posted outside informing us that if we were sick to not visit at this time. No maybe DOC was afraid they would have to pay overtime if the guard had to ask each visitor "are you feeling well? do you think you have come in contact with H1N1 or the "swine" flu? I am sorry the more I see this the more upset I get
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan View Post
Interesting Statement from SC DHEC:

Guidance for Prisons & Jails We recommend that prisons and jails in South Carolina screen visitors to make sure none have come in contact with the H1N1 flu virus. We also recommend that institutions implement certain practices to reduce the risk of infection from the H1N1 flu virus.
This is the advice we gave the S.C. Department of Corrections when that agency asked us for guidance on prison visitation during the H1N1 flu outbreak.
The Department of Corrections ultimately decided it was in the best interest of their staff and inmates to restrict visitation altogether until the outbreak subsides. All agencies are free to craft their own protective policies, and we understand and respect their decisions.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 AM

well wounder if the guards got overtime pay for the holiday never heard of such a holiday i got mail so to me it's not a holiday.but maybe they paid overtime and they cut out visatation so they could save the money to pay the holiday pay. guess we need to get our senators to put someone over the dc who cares and knows how to run the prisons.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 AM
inmate Mama

Seems to me if they're really THAT concerned about allowing the swine flu, to enter into the prisons, they'd have the CO'S locked inside too, so there's no chance of infecting the inmates... They're allowed to come and go as they please. What's the logic in that?! If they're locking people OUT, than those inside, should be locked in...
I know, when my sister was a CO, she had to stay locked inside once for about a week, because of the threat of riots... So it's not an outlandish request...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Default cancellation of visitation

I called the visitation information number again today and it is the same recording, from Friday May 8 all South Carolina prisons are closed for visitation for the weekending May 8, 9, 10 and 11th. Oh here are a few more numbers that will be of some use
Infection Control Coordinator
Linda Corley
803-896-1235
Medical Services
Dr. Michael Beinor
803-896-1233

I haven't had any luck getting to any of these folks has anyone!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
inmate Mama

I just called Walden, and there "IS" visitation this week end! {5/16/09}
Be sure to call your institution, to see if it's been cleared there....
donutandpickle (05-15-2009)
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,562 Times in 2,451 Posts

With flu season coming up again, I hope they have put precautions in place so we don't have to go through this again.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
inmate Mama

My Husband called from Walden tonight and said there is a confirmed case of "Swine Flu" there.... Someone who works with Sheet Metal. They have the guy quarentined, in bldg. 3... {let's keep him in our prayers}... but he says there's a strong chance they'll cancel visitation this wk-end because of it... Just thought I'd share the insight...