Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Donation Award 

Default SCDC Inmate Visitation Q & A

Information from the SCDC Web site http://www.doc.sc.gov/family/visitation.jsp

Visitation is an important component of the rehabilitation process and is conducted in the least restrictive manner possible while meeting requirements of safety, security, classification, and space availability.
The Central Visitation Center (CVC) processes applications for visiting privileges. The address of the Central Visitation Facility is 3765-B Leeds Avenue, North Charleston, South Carolina 29405. The Agency’s Visitation Inquiry Line may be reached at 803-896-1838. For up-to-date information about prisons that have cancelled visitation because of security concerns, press #2. If you have other questions, press #1, leave a message and it will be returned in 24-72 hours.

Each inmate in the S. C. Department of Corrections is allowed to have a maximum of fifteen (15) approved visitors on his/her visiting list. Each inmate is provided with "Request for Visiting Privileges" forms (SCDC Form 19-127) to send to his/her prospective visitors. The only way for an individual to receive a visiting privileges form is from the inmate who wants them to visit. These forms are provided to each inmate upon arrival in the Department of Corrections Reception and Evaluation Center and are available to inmates in all institutions throughout the state. Every individual must complete this form and forward it to the Central Visitation Center for processing. The form is reviewed by CVC staff and the information is entered into the automated system. If the form is missing any required information, the form is returned to the sender for proper completion.
Once the application form has been properly completed, submitted, and approved, the individual is added to the inmate's visiting list. An inmate is provided a copy of his approved visiting list once a week if a change is made during that week. IT IS THE INMATE'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ADVISE HIS/HER VISITOR(S) OF THEIR APPROVAL.
Minor children that are on the APPROVED visiting list must be accompanied by an adult and will be allowed to visit only if they are the inmate's brothers and sisters, the inmate's children (natural or legally adopted), the inmate's stepchildren, grandchildren, or step grandchildren. When an individual arrives at an institution to visit everyone age 10 and older must present a public safety picture identification. Those under age 10 must show a copy of their long-form birth certificate. Certain criteria must be met before an inmate who wishes to have minor niece/nephew(s) visit. This information is available to the inmates at their institution.
Upon arriving at the institution, the visitor must state the name and SCDC number of the inmate they wish to visit. This information is entered into the automated system and if the individual is listed on the inmate's approved visiting list a visitor's pass will be generated for the individual. [Inmate may only have one visit per day; therefore, all visitors must be together.]
Inmates are not allowed to have visitors during the reception and evaluation process unless they remain in the Reception and Evaluation Center longer than thirty (30) days and the visitor is on the approved visiting list. The institution where the inmate is housed should be contacted directly concerning the visiting days and times. Addresses and telephone numbers for all institutions are provided in the Institutions ( http://www.doc.sc.gov/institutions/institutions.jsp ) section of this web page.

Click here to review family information and visitation guidelines: http://www.doc.sc.gov/family/family.jsp

He's Home!

Last edited by Kahlan; 05-05-2009 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Updated info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kahlan For This Useful Post:
ANNAMARIA (05-11-2008), firstimer319 (10-28-2013), kaoswifey106 (07-12-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Donation Award 

New rule concerning metal items:

No jewelry except wedding ring, one (1) pair of earrings, one (1) religious medallion on a necklace or chain, one (1) wristwatch, and a medical alert bracelet.

Please check all of your clothing and your children's clothing for metal (including snaps and overall buckles). If the metal detector goes off, you will not be allowed to visit. Visitors have been throwing away rings and ripping metal clips from clothing so that they won't be turned away. Choose your clothing carefully.

He's Home!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Smile To visit to Lee, SC

Kahlan, I live in Bogota, Colombia, South America, and my son is in Lee, SC. The links do not function and I would like to read the rules.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by lamfca; 02-04-2007 at 10:39 PM..
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Lamfca. Thank you for telling me about the broken links. They should be working now. I'm sorry for the late response - my computer crashed and erased all my data. I hate that you are so far away from your son. Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with.

He's Home!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Questions - what can be worn

I've read what can be worn - ie: watch, etc. I wear bifocals and my frame is wire - which I assume is some sort of metal. Will that be a problem? I am planning to visit my friend around Easter and I do not want anything to hinder this visit.

thank you,
Karol
Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw's friend
I've read what can be worn - ie: watch, etc. I wear bifocals and my frame is wire - which I assume is some sort of metal. Will that be a problem? I am planning to visit my friend around Easter and I do not want anything to hinder this visit.

thank you,
Karol
no i believe you will have to remove them before going thru the detector then they inspect them and give them back thats how they handle it at leiber for the ones i've seen
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM

thank you, Devina

Last edited by sw's friend; 03-04-2007 at 05:02 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Hi LAMFCA, My husband is also incarcerated at Lee Correctional. I went to visit for the first time this weekend. I waited outside in line for more than an hour. More than half of the people who were there to visit were turned away. All for different reasons. The most absurd was the lady who wore the same ring in every time she went to visit but this time they refused her. It seems that getting to visit a loved one depends on which guard is working. Be careful to wear loose fitted clothes with as little metal snaps as possible. Wear no jewelry other a wedding band. You will have to remove your shoes and put them back on without a chair. So slide on shoes are easier. If there are insoles in the shoes you will be asked to remove them. Take a clear bag with only your ID, one key and money for visit. As of now you are allowed $15 if only one visitor. And I highly recommend the money be in quarters. And be prepared to meet the rudest people you can imagine, the guards. I wish you the best and hope you see your son soon.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM

Default hELP. No visits allowed for 3 years

Hi. I hope I'm posting on the right forum. My son is in SC at McCormick. He got 3 writeups within a few months of each other. 2 of which were contraband ( food) !!! They took a year of visitation for each write up and they were to follow each other. My son says they are "box carring" the visits. That it should have been that by the 3rd write up, he could have visits at the end of the year from that last write up. I hope I made sense. Has anyone else gone thru this or know anything of it? Please respond if you have. I haven't seen him since March of 06 and we're both going crazy. Thank you......memax4
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 PM

No advice, sweetie, except to write and write often and if possible, talk on the phone. Encourage him to follow all the rules (as hard as it may be) because visits are precious to you.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Unhappy K-9 Alert

2nd visit to an L2 SC facilility went very wrong. The K-9 whined at me and I signed papers allowing to be searched. Nothing was found as I knew the dog was mistaken and subjected myself and car to be searched, but I was denied visitation. I dont want to cause any trouble and emailed the SC visitation with a brief explanation and requested blank copies of the 3 forms I had to sign because I'd like to know my rights. I only received a reply stating that the forms were "protected info" and they could not send them.

I dont want to cause trouble, but I was falsly accussed of having drugs and then sent away. I have looked over the SCDC website and not sure who to direct my complaint to. It's been 4 days now and I'm still shaking with anger when I think about it. I drove 3 hours to visit my son and had a lot of anticipated conversation built up, plus he knew I was coming and I'm sure he was looking forward to all the snack food and drinks. It hurts that I was right there ready and denied. I'm angry that a dog whined at me and I ended up getting read "miranda rights", searched and turned away. It's even worse, but I dont want to cause more harm than good. As of now, I'm frightened to go back and I dont use any drugs. If someone could just please tell me who I should contact to privately discuss this incident with, I will so greatly appreciate it.

As I said, I've looked over the SCDC website and didn't get anywhere. I have just learned of this site today and I'm hoping some one can suggest how to handle this.
Sincerely, MidlandsMa

Needing
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM
inmate Mama

This same thing happened to me.
The first time, was at Allendale CI, a Level 2 yard. The K9 Dog whined at me too... They tried to say I had drugs on me also!... Of course, I don't do drugs either... {I'm a Grandmother of 10!} and I had nothing on me, at all, except my money and a clear pouch with my car key and ID...
They searched me, then my car, and found nothing... I was informed, they could strip search me, if they wanted to! I told them to go ahead, because they'd find nothing!!! {They didn't}
Eventually, they settled with the assumption, that my dollar bills must have had drug residue on them!!! I told them I had just gotten paid, and received the dollar bills from the bank! It wasn't my fault if some crackhead might have used the bill for coke! [Or Whatever!}I'm sure there's plenty of "dirty money," issued out by the bank!
They said It would be best for me to bring coins from then on..{which I have!} This to me, was an admission of they're believing I was innocent!
But I too, had to sign the same paperwork, because the dogs had alerted them to me, I had to be written up... But they "did", allow my visit, because they knew I was innocent! One of the men even tried to talk the other out of the paperwork!
The 2nd time, was at a Level 1 yard, Walden CI in Columbia.
It was the same dog and man, 2 yr's later...
He said he remembered me from Allendale, but appearently, he didn't fully remember the details, because he tried to say they'd found drugs in my car, which they hadn't! I tried to tell him this, but I figure he thought I was trying to talk my way out of it..
He searched me, and my belongings, then my car... By this time, a young girl came by with her dog... She was rude and disrespectful... As she was searching the floorboard of the drivers side floor, she stood up and gestured with her fingers, as though "flicking" a seed, as she said, "Here's some marijuanna residue, here!".
I asked to see it, because I knew there was none!
Of course, she couldn't show me anything, I asked to be drug tested, but they said they didn't do that! Again, I was written up, a second time!
This time, I was told my visits were canceled for 3 months, and then turned away, to drive back home, an hr and a half...
I was infuriated! I cried, all the way home!
When Monday morning came, I called headquarters, and threatened to get a lawyer, as there was no evidence, and I was adament, about not doing drugs... I also told hdqtrs about my 1st write-up, with Allendale, where nothing was found... They said they'd investigate it, and get back to me...
That week, they called me back, and re-instated my visits, but told me if I were ever suspected again, my visits would be canceled for a year!!! Then, she told me, "Another thing, Our dogs, DON'T MAKE MISTAKES!"
I so badly, wanted to argue the point with her, but knew I'd lose my visits, if I did, so I just said alright, and the call was ended...
I have been through the K-9 since then, but they just passed me through.... It's been over a year now, but I get aggrivated, everytime I see the dogs! And I love dogs!!! I have 2 females..{tell you something!}
I wish you the best of luck, and help from above, because that's just what it will take, since "Their Dogs are Omnipotent"!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
[URL=http://www.GlitterMa

hey i got a question... umm, if you are the victim of an inmate, are you allowed to still have visitation with the inmate if you wnt? what would i have to do to get that processed? plz lemme know, thx, jessie
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I know of several inmates who are in for domestic violence and their victims (wives in these cases) were indeed allowed to visit.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
[URL=http://www.GlitterMa

barky586... so i can visit him you think? i talked to the judge, and he said that i would have to fill out a form, then give it to him to approve or not. you think itll turn out good? man, i hope so! im not his wife, but ive been with him the last 7 months now, i wanna see him so bad!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:12 PM

You will definitely have to fill out that form that he will send you from R&E, but I think you have a good chance. Don't wait - fill it out as soon as you get it and send it in. Write down the phone number so you can call in a couple of weeks to check to see if you are approved. You will have to leave a message, but they will call you right back. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Default Rules for Kershaw Facility

Hi, I just recently found my ex. I found out he is in the Kershaw facility and we have been writing back and forth. I really want to go see him but I don't know how visitation works. I hear that you are not allowed to visit if you have a felony conviction. Is this true? Also I know nothing about SC prisons. I know in VA there are some facilities that when you visit you are actually in the same room with the person (not just through glass). How long are the visits and what are you allowed to take with you? I just don't want to drive 6 hours and they not let me in. I really want to see him and I'm sure he'd like to see me. He doesn't have anyone that comes to see him and I know how it feels to be locked up with nobody who cares. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM

You have to het him to send you a visitation form and usually if you are a convicted felon you can not visit. My ex was at Wateree level 2 and we sat across from each other with no glass and we could give a quick hug and kiss at the beginning and end of the visit. I will warn you though- I sent my visitation form in this time last year and because of the holidays it took over 4 weeks to get approved. My brother did one the following January and it only took a week or so to get approved. The inmate will get the sheet saying if you were approved or denied and it is there responsibility to let you know. I hope this helps. Also they have a strict dress code so if you would like info on that just let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to sgrinstead For This Useful Post:
truluv4life (12-13-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Anyone?

It's been a while now since I visited Turbeville CI. I have forgotten the dress code. It seems like I remember something about not being able to wear blue jeans inside. I remember about the shirts, jewelry etc. but can't remember colors! I know NO WHITE! Can anyone help me out? I have my first visit with him tonight and I am his 4 year old brother with me and I really don't want us turned around because I can't remember what we can wear. I tried to call the visitation line in Columbia but as usual can only get a voicemail that hasn't been returned.

Thank you so very much for any info!
Wendi

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I'M ON CALL TO BE THERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissinJoe View Post
Hi, I just recently found my ex. I found out he is in the Kershaw facility and we have been writing back and forth. I really want to go see him but I don't know how visitation works. I hear that you are not allowed to visit if you have a felony conviction. Is this true? Also I know nothing about SC prisons. I know in VA there are some facilities that when you visit you are actually in the same room with the person (not just through glass). How long are the visits and what are you allowed to take with you? I just don't want to drive 6 hours and they not let me in. I really want to see him and I'm sure he'd like to see me. He doesn't have anyone that comes to see him and I know how it feels to be locked up with nobody who cares. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks
It's true in SC you won't get approved for visitation if you have a felony conviction, or even a pending felony (which I feel is saying I am guilty before being convicted) because I called and spoke with them and it is also on the SCDC web page. The only way around this is if you are immediate family or married. I'm waiting to get record expunged to try again, good luck to you.

"Enough to hold you to the brightest of lights,
to place you dangerously close to that sun,
enough to acknowledge the flaws you can't ignore
and recognize the cause of what's done is done..."
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,474 Times in 750 Posts

my ex was in lee for domestic violence and step mommy dearest got to visit him and the charge was against her. so it wont hurt to try.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Next time you go to the bank ask them if they have any new bills. Alot of times the Federal Reserve brings in brand new bills that have not been used before. Especially ones and fives. This will prevent an issue with drugs being on the money. I know when I worked for the bank we would get a lot of druggies that came in and whew did their money reak of marijuanna.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Does anyone know what exactly u can wear and not wear as in clothing. This weekend will be my first visits and I have a pair of jeans that has patches on them. They were made that way. The patches are not blue jean material but just diff designs. Please help if u can. I really want to wear them since this is my first time fitting into them. Thanks, nikki

Old 05-28-2010, 06:55 AM

The best thing to do is go to the SCDC website and look under visitation and it will give you the guidlines for the dress code.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Just wanted to let all my prison talk friends I had my first visit with Michael today. It was good. I was so nervous that I actually passed the prison without even seeing it. LOL and I had already found it earlier, but was real nauseau and passed right by it. But it was a good visit -- he said my hair was too blonde ( which I already knew-we got a little happy with the highlighter) and I told him he either needed to have his shaved again or let it grow back out when he gets out I didn't like the short spiky stuff. So at least we had some good poking at each other. He got a few things said to him of what not to do, b/c I explained to the guard it was his first time in a prison and he would have to learn. Both the guard at the front desk and the male guard in the visitation room were very nice. But overall the visit went good. i started crying at the end b/c of what my sis has done to us (shes the one that turned him in) and I apologized b/c it hurts him to see me cry and he said it was ok b/c he felt like doing it too,but the guys would give him a bunch of sh.. about it. LOL!!Always trying to act like a tough guy. But hagn friends and I will talk to all of u tomorrow evening. By the way thank you to each and everyone of u for your help in this difficult time. Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to Missingmyman76 For This Useful Post:
Ldawg14 (05-30-2010)