Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Kentucky should be posted here.

View Poll Results: Have you ever heard of an inadvertant release warrant??
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM

Question Parole - waiting for home placement

Ha, so i have searched the forums for a similar circumstance and honestly I dont think it exists.

Its kind of a long story and the only way to get an answer is for me to start at the beginning, so bare with me.

My LO was charged with receiving stolen property back in 2014 (does have minor record but this is first and only felony). So he ends up pleading guilty but before final sentencing, his public defender quits and Probation and Parole never receive his paperwork, the whole thing kind of gets swept under the rug, right?

Well i think in 2016 ( before we met) he ended up getting served with a warrant for failure to appear for his final sentencing. From then until March 2018, he would get out on bond, do good for awhile then miss a court date, end up with a warrant and rearrested. So one time he might have spent 30 days until he made bond, the next might be 120, in the last year I know for sure he did 2 weeks exactly the first time and then 45 days a couple months later. My point here is that he wasnt even sure how much time he had done for this one charge, the way it was scattered out.

So March 3rd 2018, gets arrested on a failure to appear warrant. I get the paperwork together for a property bond and we go to court March 12th to ask the judge to allow cash or property and BAM! The judge slams the gavel down and says you are sentenced to 5 years. Wait, what? No questions, no speaking, please take your seat, sir.

Me, never been involved in the judicial system very much, immediately start freaking out. His lawyer explains in 30, 60, and 90 days he is eligible to file for shock and at worse, he will be parole eligible in 9 months. So April 12th comes along and i get a phone call super early from the jail. Not like the phone the inmates normally use. Its his first eligible shock date but they released him before we ever even filed for it, told him he got a sanction. We think its weird but all is good.

Skip forward to July. Cops show up at our house and serve him an Inadvertant Release Warrant. Guards at the jail tell him they have never seen a warrant like this. Basically some where they screwed up and he was never supposed to be released in the first place. Hmm okay....

Im signed up with VINE of course and get an email that he has a parole file review in the next 120 days. So here I go on KOOL and lo and behold! His parole hearing was June 4th, parole recommended with no flop, expected release August 1st. My jaw hit the floor, lemme tell ya.

Quick review: sentenced to 5 years in March, released in April, parole hearing in June. Didnt know you could be preapproved for parole, huh? Lol anyway I think that the Parole Board caught the mistake when he came up for file review and issued the warrant BUT because that was completely on them and the jail he does not have to make up for the time he was out. Amazing news right?

So they ask for his home placement Monday before last, July 23rd. Its a different county but same district so I am told there should be no issues as far as that goes. The county we live in says they received his paperwork this past Monday, July 30th. His out date was Wednesday, August 1st. He is still in jail and they have not contacted me in any way, either by phone or coming by to do the inspection. Now they are saying they are going to send him 3 hours away to a halfway house and then if his home placement is approved, he can come back.

I am at a loss here. I do not have a vehicle so i will not be able to see him if they send him off. I dont know if calling Probation and Parole will speed things up or slow them down more. I am 7 months pregnant and need him in so many ways and its just really making me angry that he could be here at home as of yesterday if they were doing their job of checking his home placement. And obviously i am forever grateful that we had months in the middle together that we shouldn't have gotten, but if they hadn't made the mistake in the first place, we would have had the appropriate time it usually takes for this process to be completed and him to be home. But since theyve only had nearly two weeks, hes being held and possibly shipped across state because they cant spare the, what, 15 minutes maximum to come check out the house or less if they just call me.

I know this post is crazy long and probably confusing but I am literally at wits end and am on my knees begging for any advice anyone might be able to offer or if anyone has ever heard of a similar situation. Im broke so now i cant even talk to him and i just dont know what to do, especially if they send him across the state and with the baby being so close to coming as well! Thank you in advance for any reply and for taking the time out in the first place to even read this post!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,296 Times in 14,842 Posts

Geez Louise.....he's fallen through so many cracks its insane

First, how the hell did he get a bond so many times

I've heard of Inadvertant Release Warrants....Louisville Metro was all over the news a while back for letting someone out that shouldn't have been and (I think) FAMM or SPCL had an article about a guy getting released from prison after 20+ years that had his life in order, doing well, and had to go do a few more years. Sad story.

Parole hearings & Reviews in KY are done 60 days before the actual eligibility date....supposedly so the Home Placement can be done & everyone's ducks are in a row. Keep in mind that any time he spent in jail he should have received credit for.

Unbelievable but true story: When My Mr made parole in '07, his home placement wasn't done until a couple (?) days or less before his release date...paperwork apparently even slower. I got a phone call one evening after work to go now & pick him up - at a local truck stop. 2 CO's had driven him over an hour from the facility to the truck stop near my home. They'd put him out. His time was up and he had to go, so they brought him to me

Shock Probation can be filed for anywhere between 30 days and 180 days after sentencing. I don't usually recommend filing for or accepting Shock if the sentence is fairly short - and yes, I consider 5 years a short sentence, especially with a 15% to serve before parole eligibility.

I'm all over the place, and I'm sorry, but I really can't make sense or tell you "why" any of this has happened or why they won't just do the freak'n home inspection and let the poor boy come home. Seems like they could - and they should.

Maybe sass4221 can enlighten both of us.

Welcome to PTO

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
ackb2u (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,793 Posts

I got nuttin'.

Inadvertant release is an oopsy on their part. Someone screwed up, plain and simple.

Quote:
So March 3rd 2018, gets arrested on a failure to appear warrant. I get the paperwork together for a property bond and we go to court March 12th to ask the judge to allow cash or property and BAM! The judge slams the gavel down and says you are sentenced to 5 years. Wait, what? No questions, no speaking, please take your seat, sir.
He slipped thru too many times. The Court wanted a final resolution to this case from 2016 and completed the final sentencing. Someone finally read the file and decided that should happen instead of him coming and going every few months.

Sending him to a halfway house almost sounds like he got parole upon completion of a program. They are often sent to HHs to complete a specific program then back to jail for a review by the board. It doesn't make sense that he's going to one for a few days until his home placement is checked out. If for some reason his placement is denied, you won't be told. He will be told it wasn't approved but he won't be told why.

Calling P&P won't rush anything.

One of our clients was up for parole in the middle of June. He finally had his face to face on July 3 and was released immediately after the meeting.

All I can say is the system is so freaking overcrowded and DOC, parole board and P&P are so far behind in everything they do.

What county is this, if I may ask?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Yes thats exactly it, he kept slipping through the cracks and actually, im assuming, has served 9 months (or close since they arent taking away the time he was out since April) its just been broken up in 1 to 3 month pieces.

He does have to do some kind of program but its after release. Should i call and ask the jail if his home placement has been denied? I always ask to speak with the same guard as its easier than reexplaining everything and Big John is familiar with his case and my twenty thousand questions by now lol well my LO borrowed a minute and called me, said Big John told him they were waiting on paperwork.

He doesn't get a face to face cause hes class D, right? Oh also now i have read somewhere that if we arent married, he has to have a separate room/bed?? Our apartment is two bedrooms so thats not a problem, i just might need to hurry up tonight and get a mattress in the other room in case they (fingers, toes, eyes, everything crossed) come tomorrow.

Oh and patchouli, the thing is we never actually filed for shock, it just so happened he was eligible to do so the day they released him.

Funny thing is, he told them he wasnt suppose to be getting out. The guard came in early, told him to pack up and he thought at first to go to class D. Said why and the guard said youre going home and my LO said um no Im not. They rushed him out of there so fast he came home with a pair of blues, his cup, bowl and spork, i mean and you usually dont leave the cell until they have their stuff back.

Oh hes in Marshall County, trying for home placement in Calloway.
The Following User Says Thank You to ackb2u For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 PM

This whole situation is just beyond frustrating. Im just at a loss of how to help fix it at this point and get my LO hone.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,793 Posts

Quote:
He does have to do some kind of program but its after release
This part may be the hold up. I've never heard of doing a program after release.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Another release story When My Mr was released this last time (a little over a year ago) he only had 3 classes left to complete MRT. Board said release after completion. Facility said "nope, release on actual release date" & to complete last 3 classes on the outside within a certain time frame, which he did. He came home, I picked him p & there was no mention of going to a halfway house.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM

So I had kinda forgotten about this forum...pregnancy brain and stress and what not. Was trying to find out if I had to have a separate bed for him to get approved and if it had to be an actual mattress or if an air mattress would work?

Ill give you an update as well....They shipped him off to CTS Russelk in Louisville on August 22nd, where he was assigned a parple officer. Said officer immediately approved him to complete an Intensive Outpatient Program from home and refiled his home placement paperwork on August 27th. He was told that gives them 7-10 days to approve or deny it, which we are about halfway through right now, allowing for Labor Day delays and such. Still have not heard a word from local parole office.

The most stressful part of this whole thing is that he would have been home a month ago if DOC hadnt mistakenly released him in the first place and I literally am gonna have this baby any day now and Im going to be terribly upset if I have to do that without him because DOC is twiddling their thumbs or whatever. And thats besides the fact that now I cant even visit him because I have no car and hes 3-4 hours away and Im 8 months pregnant!

Anyway, thanks in advance again you guys for any opinions or advice that you can give me, its beyond frustrating and as far as I can tell there is basically no where to turn for any kind of reliable answers.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:36 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I'm not sure if a 2nd bedroom is mandatory unless he's an RSO or a relative. When a friend paroled to his sister's place, she had to have him his own room. I hate to say one way or the other, and be wrong. If you can, maybe get it ready just in case. I don't see why an air mattress would be any problem....put a bottom & top sheet w/a blanket on it and it should be fine.

Congrats on the wee one!! Sending much positive energy that he'll be HOME for the birth

Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Right well i have a second bedroom there just isnt a bed in there so yeah Ill probably try to get at least an air mattress in there just in case though he is not a sex offender. Thanks, we need all the positive energy we can get!!!
patchouli (09-06-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM

So quick update...parole just showed up this morning, FINALLY.

Bad news, apparently the officer is extremely impatient as I am nearly 9 months along now , huge and slow and by the time i got to the door, he had vanished and I took off running but he was already even out of the parking lot at the apt complex.

Left a voicemail tho and secretary gave me permission to harrass them lol of course he will be in court this afternoom but i feel like we have actually taken one teeny tiny baby step!!
patchouli (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Did he leave a "door knocker" (card or something) on your door? I missed the PO for home inspection, he left his door knocker on the door and I called when I got home from work. He came back a couple of hours later

Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

Yes and I left him two voicemails yesterday but Im assuming he didn't go back to the office since he had court after lunch. Gonna call first thing this morning, this means my LO could literally be home this week!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ackb2u For This Useful Post:
patchouli (Yesterday), Sarianna (Yesterday)