Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Default My son was sentenced yesterday...

The judge was fair in his sentence. My son got 5 years at the facility we hoped for. Elkton, OH is just over a 3 hour drive from home. He also was granted self surrender status. So now we wait for the letter informing him when he needs to report.
If anyone has any information on Elkton we would appreciate it. We have never had to deal with anything like this. Worst we ever got was a speeding ticket.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,111 Posts

What a relief to finally get it done. I’m glad the sentence was fair. Good luck to you.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,944 Times in 12,162 Posts

Great news that he received a fair sentence from his judge. Being allowed to self surrender is also a huge benefit. It lowers his custody score and avoids the absolutely worst part of any bop sentence, being transported, for months, all over the country, in chains, by the US Marshals.

Also, with the passage of the First Step Act, he will earn 270 days of good time instead of 235 days, and since every day out of bop custody is a great day, he will serve over a month less than he would have done at any time during the past 30+ years.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:29 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 738 Posts

The location isn't official usually until you get the letter of designation from the BOP, as the judge only makes a recommendation so things can still change.

But having said that, do you know if the expectation is to go to the Elkton FCI or the Elkton FSL? If the FSL, I can connect you to someone who just got out of there. He isn't a SO but he can fill you in regardless. I believe they all wear color tags and so everyone knows who is there for what. They are also in certain areas based on the offense, but again the FSL is a lower security level than the FCI. It's like a camp but a little higher than a camp but lower than a low. There was nothing to do there, not enough jobs so he sat around a lot of the time doing nothing.

Unfortunately there are a lot of things in the First Step Act that SO are ineligible for, but regardless there are still some things when finally implemented (it could take 3 years for that) which may help him.

I am sure you are relieved that this phase is finally done and you can start planning for the next one.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:42 PM

You can PM any questions you have. Just remember the judge can recommend a place but it's up to BOP if they want to send your son there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Hell View Post
The judge was fair in his sentence. My son got 5 years at the facility we hoped for. Elkton, OH is just over a 3 hour drive from home. He also was granted self surrender status. So now we wait for the letter informing him when he needs to report.
If anyone has any information on Elkton we would appreciate it. We have never had to deal with anything like this. Worst we ever got was a speeding ticket.
The Following User Says Thank You to Osugirl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I believe they all wear color tags and so everyone knows who is there for what.
Wait, what??

Iíve never heard of a prison color-coding inmates by offense. I canít even think of a reason why this would be done as it sounds like a security nightmare.

Color coding inmates by level, sure. But I would be absolutely gobsmacked to discover a prison color-coding by crime.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,944 Times in 12,162 Posts

I never found that to be true either. The staff computer system lists specific charges on each prisoner's page, but inmates aren't supposed to be able to view it. Of course minimum security camps are completely different from real bop prisons anyway.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,857 Posts

" I believe they all wear color tags and so everyone knows who is there for what. "

This is absolutely NOT NOT NOT true! Totally, 100% incorrect.
joybubby (Yesterday)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Hard to explain but someone I know just left the FSL and it was a designation so you pretty much knew who the SO were, who the white collar were and who the others were. It wasn't a big deal and there were no issues, probably because it was an FSL, which as I said is a level just above a camp. Most of the guys at that facility come down from the Low.

I will ask him specifically how they are marked, I know the SO were also on a different floor. Again, this was an FSL. This place also had an NRDAP program that many facilities don't have. It allowed for people who participated to cut their sentences short and go to HWH for a longer period of time, but they can't go to HC sooner and are stuck in the HWH.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Ok, just texted with him and confirmed he said:

"yes at the Elkton camp the sex offenders all had yellow tags, the people who had detainers or more charges pending had black tags, if you had a gate pass you had a red tag, like me".

White collar guys got gate passes. When he is back on PTO he is happy to talk to anyone about it or you can PM him directly, his username is "fockwulf".
Old 01-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Owned

I promise you people other than SOs have yellow.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
No, not there not at the FSL Elkton. But again, feel free to reach out directly to him the source, since HE was actually there and neither you nor I were.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Owned

Block is my friend.

Last edited by safran; 01-06-2019 at 09:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
JessesGirl2022 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM

I would believe there may be a classification system that led to a lot of SO having the same color... but there’s no possible way they are being grouped by offense.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I would believe there may be a classification system that led to a lot of SO having the same color... but thereís no possible way they are being grouped by offense.
Thatís the exact case.
fbopnomore (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I would believe there may be a classification system that led to a lot of SO having the same color... but thereís no possible way they are being grouped by offense.
Yes that's what I was saying. SO have the same color. But all you know is that they're SO not what their exact crime was. It's terrible IMO that they group anyone like that period. Where my husband is, they don't even need to wear name tags.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I was recently at Elkton in the satellite facility. I can absolutely say that at the FSL in Elkton, you did not get a yellow tag unless you were there for some type of SO crime.

Here is how it worked at the FSL (I do not know how the tag system worked at the larger "low" facility at Elkton. I can only speak for the FSL "camp").

The FSL holds approximately 500 inmates. There is a "G" and an "H" unit there. The G unit comprises the lower level and has a A and B section. The H unit is the upper unit and also has A and B sections. The GA and GB units all wear yellow tags. The HA unit wear black tags. The HB unit wear read tags. When I say "tags" I am talking about the color of the plastic holders that the BOP inmate card slides into. All the DOJ inmate cards are red, but the "holder" that the inmate wears around their neck in the lanyard is a different color.

Anyways, it is common knowledge that anyone at the Elkton FSL that has a yellow holder is there on a sex offense. The GA and GB unit were all SO cases. The HA unit wears a black tag. These inmates may have detainers on them in their cases or have something pending. The HA unit may have SO in there, they may also have drug or white collar, etc. It just has to do if something in their case has more legal issues pending. The HB unit is made up of mostly drug offenders with a few white collar mixed in. The inmates in HB are mostly non-violent offenders. However, the inmates may be made up of transfers from either the low facility or other facilities in which the inmates have obtained their "camp points". So you have guys in HB that may have come from a medium or another facility somewhere along the line in their sentence. I believe you have to have less than 10 years remaining on your sentence to be eligible to go to/transfer to the FSL at Elkton.

The HB unit at Elkton is the "work cadre" unit. Everyone in HB is supposed to at some point get a gate pass and work outside in some capacity. Now, when I say that they are "supposed" to get a gate pass or work, I mean it figuratively. Many do not get a gate pass and many of them do not go outside the gates to work. Either because they don't want to/refuse to, or they haven't received clearance to have gate pass from the warden, or they may have some type of medical issue that does not allow them to have a job. However, in theory, everyone in HB should have a gate pass and "should" be working.

I can tell you first hand that there are no SO in the HB unit. They would not be allowed outside the gate because they would not qualify for a gate pass so they would never be assigned/housed in that unit. The HA, GA and GB unit inmates all can not get gate passes and can not work outside the prison gates. I can also tell you that everyone that is housed in the GA and GB units are there for some type of sex offense and hence have the yellow tags only. So maybe the BOP doesn't designate in other facilities by tags as to the offense, they definitely do at the FSL at Elkton. The large population of SOs in the GA and GB units at Elkton make it fairly safe and issue free (at least from prison politics) for a SO there.

Last edited by Fockwulf; 01-08-2019 at 08:14 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
B00ne (01-08-2019), ladeur (01-18-2019), Living Hell (01-09-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 AM

There are NO yellow stars or any other "codes" as part of standard BOP uniforms. I did my 4+ years, and the only markers I ever saw were tattoos on gang members' bodies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-19-2019), safran (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
There are NO yellow stars or any other "codes" as part of standard BOP uniforms. I did my 4+ years, and the only markers I ever saw were tattoos on gang members' bodies.
Not sure if you were referencing my previous post in regards to the yellow tags, but I just wanted to clarify that the yellow I am speaking of is the color of the holder of the DOJ card that the inmate wears around their neck with a lanyard. The color of the tag holder indicates which housing unit you belong in. At the Elkton FSL, the yellow tags were assigned to anyone in the G unit. G unit was made up of SO exclusively.