Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Owned

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,799 Posts

You can pour the evaporated milk into ice cube trays and freeze it. That way if you need just a bit like you did for the mashed potatoes you can just thaw a cube or two.

For potatoes you don't need to dilute it, but if you were using it for something where a more true to milk ratio was needed than dilute it with water.

I keep both canned and dried milk in the cupboard, but I live in a storm prone area.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 AM

Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
You can pour the evaporated milk into ice cube trays and freeze it. That way if you need just a bit like you did for the mashed potatoes you can just thaw a cube or two.

For potatoes you don't need to dilute it, but if you were using it for something where a more true to milk ratio was needed than dilute it with water.

I keep both canned and dried milk in the cupboard, but I live in a storm prone area.
You would think I would know all this from living in South Florida. Storm supplies!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Owned

Yeah, storm supplies. I always have them, but after Harvey I am increasing the amount. I always thought of myself as well prepared for storms and long power outages, but Harvey brought things to a new level.

Plus, I never thought about keeping tools stashed in the attic to chop through the roof. I figured out how to get out the attic windows to the roof, but chopping through might make more sense especially with the dogs.

I swear if I looked out my attic window and saw a gator that just might end things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-05-2017), xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 AM

I guess I was always very lucky when it came to huge storms. Not so for my family with Where I lived it was weeks before there was food in stores, those that thought they had enough didn't realize it would be weeks for any fresh food to be brought in. Red Cross and National Guard had water pick up places but damn it was hours of waiting for two gallons. They were good about bringing MRE's around. But when your old and disabled or have kids forget about it!! I was lucky my parents had a lake they could get water from for flushing toilets. My dad and neighbor rigged up a giant generator to his gasline so they were able to run some lights and two refrigerators, but this was only after both houses lost everything in the refrigerators. I think oh it wasn't that bad but I was 12 years younger and way better able to manage with no creature comforts!! Now I don't know how I'd be.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 AM

Attention: EVERYONE Who ever has been in a disaster area, what are things you would include in a kit??? I know the lists that are published, but what have you included that you know your going to need?? I'll start by saying I keep at least a weeks worth of cigs!! I know I'm ok as long as I have soda and smokes.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Owned

I've always been lucky too, but I say it is because I take every storm warning seriously, stay fully stocked and I am ready to evacuate if they say to.

But you are right - with no water and no power for long enough even the best supplied cupboards get empty.

I deliver dog food to homebound people so during a flood 2 years ago when I went to pick up water I explained to the guy in charge - after talking it over with the rest of his crew they decided to believe me an off I went to deliver water.

The sad part was some of the people I delivered to had no idea our water system was contaminated! Their water still ran so they were using it even though it was brown; their power was out so they had no news sources. I had power, but no running water.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,143 Times in 6,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Oh yeah can anyone tell me can condensed milk be used in place of regular milk?
I can't consume milk on this friggin' plan, either!! LOL

Anyone know if they make canned nut milk?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,703 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post

Almond milk in cartons is shelf stable for quite some time. My daughter can't have lactose so we quickly learned this. I'm sure they have canned varieties, try amazon.
miamac (09-05-2017), xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Almond milk in cartons is shelf stable for quite some time. My daughter can't have lactose so we quickly learned this. I'm sure they have canned varieties, try amazon.
That's true. I usually buy out of the refrigerator case but I remember seeing the boxed milks (almond, rice, coconut?) on the shelf. A powdered variety would be nice. I'll see if I can find that.
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Owned

Mia,

Looking at what you couldn't eat gave me the vapors - could you please give me a highlight of what is allowed?

I'm sure there is something, but I was too dumb stuck to think of anything.

Last edited by safran; 09-05-2017 at 10:37 AM..
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Mia,

Looking at what you couldn't eat gave me the vapors - could you please give me a highlight of what is allowed?

I'm sure there is something, put I was too dumb stuck to think of anything.
Ha!
Ok, well this morning I'm having corn tortillas with eggs and homemade salsa (no onion). For dinner tonight we're having peppers stuffed with rice, beef and tomatoes.

We can have hard cheeses like cheddar in small amounts. So I'll probably put some on top of the peppers.
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Owned

That actually sounds pretty good.

In the winter I often make unstuffed bell peppers as well as unstuffed cabbage although both are reinforced with onions. And garlic. Lots of garlic.

No vampires here.
miamac (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post

No but really see if nuts are ok probably not!!! The only nuts in my life are the live one's. And they should come with a warning label!!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Owned

I just had this horrid image flash through my brain; being trapped in my attic with XO and no cigarettes or sodas. Started making the gator swimming outside the window seem friendly.

In addition to all the normal stuff I have to have tons of reading material and dogs supplies.

I am also thinking of buying some powdered eggs and I am following Irma's path and fear for where ever she hits.
sidewalker (09-05-2017), xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,755 Times in 10,753 Posts

Gotta laugh! When my area was threatened, what I always had was trash cans full of water. A dozen of them!

That's what taking care of horses will do to you....
xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
That actually sounds pretty good.

In the winter I often make unstuffed bell peppers as well as unstuffed cabbage although both are reinforced with onions. And garlic. Lots of garlic.

No vampires here.
Ha ha I would give up anything for a good looking Vampire to nibble on my neck, and according to everything I've read Vampires are gorgeous, so later garlic!!!LOL
Old 09-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Owned

The flood 2 years ago that knocked my water out? I 1/2 dismantled the gutter down spouts and put the trash cans under them. 2 giant trans cans and when I needed to flush I brought bucket after bucket of water - I did that for 5 days and counted my blessings things weren't worse.
jadah (09-05-2017), xolady (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I just had this horrid image flash through my brain; being trapped in my attic with XO and no cigarettes or sodas. Started making the gator swimming outside the window seem friendly.

In addition to all the normal stuff I have to have tons of reading material and dogs supplies.

I am also thinking of buying some powdered eggs and I am following Irma's path and fear for where ever she hits.
You'd be so lucky to be trapped with me I'm like the epitome of fun in horrible situations and I am stocked up for years!!LOL I can actually say I really can be fun in shitty times. I might not ever have much in life but I have learned to make the best out of a bad situation!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
jadah (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,248 Posts

To rewind a bit, reading the gumbo conversation at the beginning... did y'all add filé to your gumbo? I like my gumbo with all three okra and a roux and filé Its fuller that way. yumola!
But I am making buffalo wing chicken lasagna tonight in the crockpot.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following User Says Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadah View Post
To rewind a bit, reading the gumbo conversation at the beginning... did y'all add filé to your gumbo? I like my gumbo with all three okra and a roux and filé Its fuller that way. yumola!
But I am making buffalo wing chicken lasagna tonight in the crockpot.
you gotta share this recipe, it sounds like heaven!!! And yes I did!! My neighbor is actually from New Orleans and she said my gumbo was as good as if I'd been making it my whole life!! It was good.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Owned

I use filé too. If I made it without I'd call it something else.
xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,755 Times in 10,753 Posts

Since we're going back to the beginning of the thread -

you can make brown roux by cooking it on a sheet pan in the oven...low heat gives you plenty of time to play with what color you want, with a very large margin for error before burning. Or, for that matter, take out an amount at a lighter color, then again at a medium color, and let the rest just brown out. You can play with the tastes when you've got all the color range!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Since we're going back to the beginning of the thread -

you can make brown roux by cooking it on a sheet pan in the oven...low heat gives you plenty of time to play with what color you want, with a very large margin for error before burning. Or, for that matter, take out an amount at a lighter color, then again at a medium color, and let the rest just brown out. You can play with the tastes when you've got all the color range!

Grrrr....... I wish I'd seen this an hour ago! I literally just finished making roux for yet another pot of gumbo.

That is a great tip though especially in the winter. I try to not turn my oven on in the summer.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Grrrr....... I wish I'd seen this an hour ago! I literally just finished making roux for yet another pot of gumbo.

That is a great tip though especially in the winter. I try to not turn my oven on in the summer.
But really isn't it just easier to do it on top of the stove to begin with? Less clean up!!! What kind? of gumbo??? I'm trying to make chinese roast pork can't find right stuff to marinade it! I'm totally at a loss as to where to purchase some ingredients the marinade calls for. I caught a great sale on pork tenderloins. So I'm looking for something else to make with it as I have my heart set on chinese nothing else sounds good. I bought 3 tenderloins and I really was hoping for a easy marinade with readily available ingredients and am so at a loss..................
Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Owned

Have you looked at your Wal Mart online ordering for the Chinese ingredients? I just place a huge order for pick-up tomorrow because of the storm. I like Chinese, but I can't say I've ever scored 100% when cooking it at home.

What are the odd items? My local Publix doesn't have unique stuff, but a big one several miles away has everything - if you have Publix there.

My gumbo has sausage, fresh caught shrimp and blue crab - it tastes near perfect although I have enough to feed a pro football team. That is if they like spice and need their sinuses cleansed.
xolady (09-06-2017)