Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,545 Times in 13,952 Posts

are you talking vertical gardening?
Hummmm....maybe a trip to home depot to look around as see what kinda stuff they have that would work.
I see pallets all over the place behind the grocery stores. They would probably give you some....

Or maybe..........get some of those concrete blocks, some wide wood (like the 12" kind) and make shelves?
Ive got a few of those in my back yard.
Its what my basil is on.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 AM

Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,887 Posts

I just saw a hay stack garden I'm going to try that it's cool as hell and I can line up at least 4 hay bales. I'm going to the nursery today to get their input. I don't know if I can just purchase nitrogen which is what you need to pour on hay bales to get them ready for planting. I'm like super excited about this I was thinking of vert pallet, but this would work so much better, and way cheaper if I can get the materials. Hay bales no problem they are cheap here and all over the place here, its the prep of nitrogen I may not be able to get. It's used to break down the hay it heats it to like 140 and you have to be very careful keeping it wet and do this until it ready to plant No dirt no fertilizer it like planting in compost, but neater and clean!!! Just the prep is kind of scary it can catch fire so I have to be very careful. But I'm so excited about this I need to read more about it. The one thing I have to watch is hay and straw look alot alike so I have to make sure I get hay not straw as straw won't work. But I'm going to ride out to this nursery today and check out what they think. Also get some real tips on stuff so I'm not just wasting my time and money. We actually have two growing seasons so I could do a lot if I got started early enough. But I am hoping this will work as it looked so easy. I have a neighbor who can probably help me out with the hay, nitrogen, as his parents have a real working farm. With animals, and crops. LOL I'm very excited maybe I'll start a whole new career!!! My main thing is growing enough stuff to not have to buy veggies all year. I think I can and what I have left I can sell or donate. I'm going to try to be self sufficient and live off the stuff I can grow. I'm always gonna have to buy certain stuff but it would be very cool to not spend hundreds a month to feed myself. Also its a good way to focus my excess time and energy. Reading old books and new ones has been my passion along with cooking. Now I can actually see some actual result it would go a long way towards getting me out of this awful funk I have been in for months. I also have so many health problems that limit what I can do and this looks like a great idea the initial startup is a bit of work but once it's started all you do is water. I'm actually thinking I might ask a friend who has a shit load of property to try it out with me she's a great gardener, I'm not!!! But I'll get the stuff if she's willing to try it with me. But I can do it here where I live on a very small scale. I'm going to start a rain barrel so I don't have such a high water bill. Anyway look it up its a really cool concept!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:18 AM

Donation Award 

Ive seen those. Actually have a few customers on my route do those.
Only downside Ive heard is mice love it too.
(the hay/straw)
Not sure if its true but you might ask at the nursery.
(this is why I did not try it...hate hate rodents)

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Owned

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,799 Posts

Barbie, as soon as I am awake I am going to go look at that type of gardening!

I've never heard of it, but you do live where veggies year round is a real option - sounds like a great plan.

I'd be happy to be able to grow my own herbs.
xolady (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,743 Times in 10,749 Posts

Actually, straw is better than hay - it has no seeds and you won't suddenly be growing a raised grass lawn! It won't catch fire if you're watering as you're going to need to do, either. And you can be watering less if you wrap your bales in strips of tarp....it may make the straw warmer (or you can get white tarp, which will keep them cooler - depends on your climate). You should add a little compost or potting soil in holes you want to put plants in, too, just to allow their roots to settle in and adapt.
xolady (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:17 PM

I've been watching Youtube stuff all day about it some say straw some say hay? I'm going with the cheaper one and it whatever Lowes has. The nitrogen actually will make what ever seeds die so I'm not really worried about the hay verse straw thing but I'm totally psyched about this maybe all my psycho/nutso shit can finally be use full!!! LOL I am going tomorrow to get 4 bales of hay!!!LOL First time I ever bought a bale of HAY!!! Wish I could say its the first bale I bought!!! Anyway I'm going to try it and see if it does well gotta do something I'm bored and need to get a real time consuming hobby or I'm going to end up in trouble. Mentally I need this. Any way any and all tips will be welcome I'm like not a gardener and this seems perfect for me.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Barbie, as soon as I am awake I am going to go look at that type of gardening!

I've never heard of it, but you do live where veggies year round is a real option - sounds like a great plan.

I'd be happy to be able to grow my own herbs.
Only months are feb-nov for growing and it can frost but you can get about two full seasons out of that. I'm just west of Tuscaloosa so weather wise we should be about the same.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Donation Award 

Im thinking of making a pizza tonight for dinner.
I noticed yesterday, they have pre made pizza dough (not frozen but in fridge) at my local grocery store.
It might be fun to try tonight. Not sure what toppings i'll use.
I dont have a fancy *stone* or the slider thing, so it might prove difficult to get in the oven.
Anyone else try this at home?
(Ive wanted to make my own pizza dough for some time but......dont know if I have the patience for that....maybe someday. This is the next best thing I guess)

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Just make smaller pizzas (like a large personal size) and put on parchment paper on an overturned sheet pan, or, if you have 'em, heat cast iron fry pans while the oven is warming up and use those instead of sheet pans!
sidewalker (04-16-2018), xolady (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Never tried making pizza at home except frozen and they all suck!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 AM

Donation Award 

I usually add to the frozen ones, so they suck less.
I add extra cheese maybe mushrooms, and/or bell peppers maybe some basil . (we end up with the pepperoni pizzas from...where else...Costco lol)

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Walmart actually has pretty good ones in the deli area. I have made homemade pizza out of french bread. I forgot about that!!! My neighbor and I were talking about this we saw fresh dough at a Publix in the Bakery she asked if I've ever made it I said no as I don't really eat pizza much and its alot of dough unless I'm going to have a bunch of people over. I was going to grill yesterday but it was to darn cold and windy as all heck. I guess we had freeze warnings but I didn't cover up stuff. Going to get my hay bales to prep for my garden I have only bought seeds but I need tomato plants, and hot red, and sweet red peppers. I bought 1 strawberry plant I want to get a few more. I went to lowes for plants way to expensive, walmart which I hate had their plants way cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Donation Award 

I never have any luck with bell peppers. even if I buy starts.
xolady, you might also check with some of the dollar stores. Sometimes they have tomato starts there. Cilantro too.
Of course its seasonal.....

we had ice here this morning too. I went outside and helped son de-ice his windshield. (using my rubbing alcohol and spray bottle.....works fairly well)

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I never have any luck with bell peppers. even if I buy starts.
xolady, you might also check with some of the dollar stores. Sometimes they have tomato starts there. Cilantro too.
Of course its seasonal.....

we had ice here this morning too. I went outside and helped son de-ice his windshield. (using my rubbing alcohol and spray bottle.....works fairly well)
I've never had much luck growing peppers either!!! I love cilantro I have seeds for all the herbs I want to grow my basil seems to do the best. My window sill is starting to look like a jungle!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:50 PM
AmyLynn

Just curious if you guys ever heard of Indian tacos? I only had it a couple times growing up back home in Oklahoma. Its fry bread. I don't know how to make fry bread. Is there a certain bread you use?

Was thinking of trying this weekend.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Donation Award 

I'd bet the food network site has some receipes for that type bread. is it called flat bread? Im not sure.......

That's my dog's nose art

Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

It's called fry bread, and it's quite simple!
sidewalker (04-18-2018), xolady (04-21-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
It's called fry bread, and it's quite simple!
Can you post it please?
Old 04-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Tried to get to Lowes they had some damn thing going on in the parking lot. I couldn't get close enough to the store to get what I needed I'm going to go early monday morning. Yesterday was perfect weather but not for what I wanted to do!!! I want cloudy cool weather. I can't do the heat with the diabetes and now very low blood pressure. Keep feeling like I'm going to faint, not a great feeling.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

~3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
Oil

Mix the dry ingredients well, add the water and stir until it starts to come together. Pour out onto floured counter and knead; a few minutes is enough. Put into a plastic bag and refrigerate (for at least an hour, or as long as overnight).

When you're ready, heat ~1 inch of oil in a pan. Cut off a (small) fist-sized piece of dough, and pat or roll out about 1/4" thick. Fry in the oil 'til golden, then flip and cook the other side.

Some people cut a hole or slit in the center of the dough, to help it fry flatter. When it's done, you can make a taco of it, or dust it with powdered sugar.
ItsMe81 (04-22-2018), sidewalker (04-23-2018), xolady (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks that seems super easy and I love it. My friends Mother has a Indian Taco booth at different events in Florida I just never got to watch them make the bread.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Well my landlord won't allow the haybale garden, also said I am only allowed three potted plants. I got all the stuff and had to get rid of it but also told her I was taking pictures of all porches and she'd better enforce the same rules for everyone. I'm thinking of writing a letter to the head of usda rural housing who is over these places about her saying we can't grow vegetables. I can't see how she can actually get away with telling low income elderly and disabled that it's against the rules to plant vegetables. Anyway so that's how my weekend has been going!!!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Can you do things like grow ball basil as an 'ornamental', and lettuce & carrots as edging plants along the house?
sidewalker (05-01-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 PM

She say's no vegetables are allowed to be grown here at all!! I have basil in my window. She's just being a bitch because she came here especially to leave a note on my door. Then knocked on my neighbors door to tell her she left a note about me getting the bales out of here. I'm going to write or go to the office of rural housing, I'm positive she's violating their rules by telling people they are not allowed to have vegetable plants. I was so mad when I spoke to her as she was yelling about stuff that wasn't true, so I said don't worry it will be gone but you had better go walk around and make sure no one has anything planted or in pots that are vegetables. Then told her I hoped her weekend was wonderful.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Donation Award 

Well we had to get more propane for the grill.
So I guess we are gonna bbq tonight. lol.
At least clean up is easy.

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (05-04-2018)