Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Account Closed

Default Tablets getting ready for TRCI

And there comes the rumor again. But this time, my man has watched these Telmate dudes (or whoever the vendor is) wiring up tablets for a shared use at TRCI. So the deal is that the inmates can't purchase their own tablets but they can rent them for 1 up to 5 cents per minute depending on what they do. Such as streaming music, reading e-newspaper, messaging etc. Everything's going to be restricted as usual but it seems like a good improvement.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,363 Times in 2,585 Posts

I'd like to get my hopes up, but I simply can't. Even if they finally get the tablets past the beta test phase, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a situation like the Xbox (I think that was the gaming system) where hardly anyone was willing to use it because it was just rented, not owned, and therefore it wasn't personal property and therefore could be taken away from a person easily.

But who knows, maybe it'll work right. OSCI/AccessCorrections can't keep their mp3 kiosks in operational order, but maybe it'll be different with the tablets (yeah, not holding my breath for that).
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,363 Times in 2,585 Posts

Sorry to be such a downer first thing in the morning - let's try this again...

That's great! Please let us know how it works out! I don't have any friends at Two Rivers, so until the tablets move farther afield, I won't have any information, but my friends will be asking about it as the rumor mill inside starts up.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:21 AM

They have them at OSP and my husband really likes them. They just take payment from his phone account when he checks one out. I know a lot of stuff is restricted but of course he got addicted to Angry Birds and a car racing game LOL. I was just happy that when fantasy football came around I didn't have to spend forever looking up stats and other things on players to give him the info. I do think it's a good thing as well because it helps some of the inmates who might have been inside for a long time to see how technology has changed and how to use apps and touch screens, etc. so they're no so overwhelmed when they're released.