Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 04-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Fiance had a stroke in prison, no ambulance called for over 7 hours!

Hello,

Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do from here.

On March 30th my fiance had a stroke. He had a cell phone, which I know is wrong, but anyway we were chatting on video and I fell asleep. I woke up hearing two other guys in the cell with him asking him if he was okay. Had to take both of them to lift him up, he was dead weight, and they put him in his bed. I kept asking is okay is he's okay? the guy said I think he's coming around but I need to hang up this phone and put it up because tach squads coming. Then the guy hung up. I didn't know anything for 2 days when I called his cell phone again to see if he possibly had it or if it was turned on another guy answered. He said he's got his phone and he's holding it till he gets out but that Matt had been in the hospital and had a seizure. I called the prison and found out he was in the hospital not to worry and he was okay. I called the warden the next day was able to talk to the deputy Warden of care and comfort told me the same thing that he was okay he had a seizure. 2 more days later I got word that he was on a ventilator and was not breathing on his own. I called and tried to speak to the warden but cannot get him on the phone and again was told that he just had a seizure he's okay and that we cannot see him unless he is actively dying. I begged for 5 minutes or one phone call just to hear his voice to know he was okay but was told no. his mom called also but she was told the same thing, that no she couldn't talk to him. on day six I was told that he was brain dead by another inmate his mom called the prison and they finally said that he had had a stroke they had just found out and that he was not doing well and we could see him the following morning. I got 15 minutes with him. Blood pressure went up and they made me leave the room. we don't know when we're going to get to see him again cuz they will not allow us to visit. He's not getting his mail that I send and he can't make phone calls. This is so screwed up it's not fair. He needs us right now he needs his family by his side. He is not brain-dead but he is not doing well he cannot speak he can only move his fingers and toes a little bit. He's got a wire coming out of his skull to monitor the pressure on his brain and another drain coming out of the skull to get rid of some excess blood and fluid. He can open his eyes and he knows what we're saying but he cannot speak . He is not out of the woods yet he still could die on us. But if he pulls through he's going to need a lot of therapy a whole lot. I want him to get the best care possible not the very bare minimum that the prison system will allow. I feel like this is their fault they should have gotten him help sooner . He went through three counts but they did not make him stand and get out of that bed . if they would have done their job properly they would have known something was wrong with him. I have to figure out how to get to be able to see him whenever I want to. He needs us! He needs the people love him around him telling him to fight and he can do this encouraging him! Who do I call? Can't I get him paroled now with this? He can't go to prison like this. he's only got one more year left. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Christine
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,264 Posts

HI Christine,
I am sorry you are experiencing this. It is terrifying.

What you can do. Get copies of his medical records both from the prison and from the hospital where he was transferred.

To do that you need to use a power of attorney because that person has the legal right to sign for your fiancee. (You? His mom? or Dad?)
Who is Power of Attorney? It is beter to get the whole thing to get business taken care of and medical. I think there is a new document as well.
Did he put his mom's name down as one who has access to his medical records? Did you sign a HIPAA form for him?

Handbook

This is a tough spot to be in and it can be a maze, but just go through everything step by step.

Keep us informed. Welcome to PTO. So glad we can help.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
sass4221 (04-08-2018), xolady (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,975 Times in 11,672 Posts

For one form of strokes, caused by blood clots, not inter cranial bleeding, a three hour delay from the onset of symptoms is necessary for the hospital to treat him with clot busting drugs. Since the prison took so long to get him to the hospital, that intervention was no longer possible if that was his diagnosis.

If his medical records show that is what happened, talk to a civil lawyer about his legal options.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,135 Posts

As for the possibility of medical parole, so he can recover at home with family with real medical care on the outs instead of the abysmal care offered inside the prisons, this is what the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Parole has to say on the matter:

Quote:
Medical Reprieve
The Parole Board has the constitutional authority to grant a medical reprieve to any inmate it finds to be entirely incapacitated due to a progressively debilitating terminal illness. The Department of Corrections’ medical staff recommends inmates for a medical reprieve. The Board balances the sufficiency of the punishment imposed on the offender to date, with the cost of treating the offender in a state prison and the humanity of allowing the offender to die outside the confines of a prison. Although they are extremely limited in their mobility, medically reprieved offenders are supervised by a community supervision officer. If the offender's medical prognosis was in error and the offender’s condition improves, he or she will be returned to prison to complete his or her sentence.
https://pap.georgia.gov/reprieves-commutations

Something to look into if (perish the thought) his condition doesn't improve...
Old 04-09-2018, 01:59 AM

It
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
For one form of strokes, caused by blood clots, not inter cranial bleeding, a three hour delay from the onset of symptoms is necessary for the hospital to treat him with clot busting drugs. Since the prison took so long to get him to the hospital, that intervention was no longer possible if that was his diagnosis.

If his medical records show that is what happened, talk to a civil lawyer about his legal options.
There are 2 kinda of Strokes. Hemorrhagic and ischemic hemorrhagic Strokes are when a blood vessel in the brain bursts leaking into the brain. Ischemic Strokes are when a blood clot travels to the brain and blocks off the blood supply to a certain area. I am a nurse and work with patients that have had both kinds
Old 04-09-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Sorry yall, not sure how to reply properly...
Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,975 Times in 11,672 Posts

My comment about a 3 hour window to treat ischemic strokes with clot busting drugs, after which they are ineffective, came from what I was told by one MD. Is that information accurate?

Thanks for responding.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
My comment about a 3 hour window to treat ischemic strokes with clot busting drugs, after which they are ineffective, came from what I was told by one MD. Is that information accurate?

Thanks for responding.
Yes for that type of stroke you have to give TPA within the first 3 hours. But only if you know the stroke is caused by a clot. My fiance didnt have a clot, he had quite the opposite and his was from a busted blood vessel in his brain, usually caused by high blood pressure. In his case you would not want to give the clot buster, you want it to clot and stop bleeding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c.loggins7475 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2018), xolady (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM

I would be calling a civil rights attorney in your area. We had a case a year or so back in Oregon like this but the man died. Two guards were just indicted in that case recently ddor not getting emergency help fast enough (it had been hours as well). I truly hope you loved one recovers fully and I encourage you all to take action where you can. This treatment will end as more of these fools get charged!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,328 Posts

Linda Sheffield is an excellent post-conviction lawyer in GA. Contact her, she'll know what's possible and what isn't. Hope you get some help.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
Linda Sheffield is an excellent post-conviction lawyer in GA. Contact her, she'll know what's possible and what isn't. Hope you get some help.
Thank you i will
Old 05-07-2018, 06:38 PM

38 long long lonely frightening days...

Thank you everyone who has given advice, encouragement and info. I am still I am the dark on everything to this day. I was allowed to see him that one time 7 days after the stroke and nothing since.

He was in icu 28-30 days and then shipped to Georgia state prison without notifying anyone. We had to find out on our own. Nobody will tell us anything about what has happened, what's been done, how he is or what the plan is.

I haven't been able to talk to him at all or visit. I write him everyday but haven't gotten a letter in return. No phone calls either.

The new prison has been just as unhelpful as the last. I tried to speak to a counselor but they said he isn't housed there perminately so he won't get one. What does that freaking mean??? Why can't they have a heart and tell me how he is doing??? I am afraid he is not getting the care he desperately needs. The first few weeks after a stroke is vital if they want to regain any loses!

I don't know what to do.ive written the parole board and ombudsman twice and no return email from either. How can they keep him from us like this? Now the new place says he might be able to have visitation but if he can't walk to the visitation room then it can't happen. Is that not discrimination due to a handicap? The whole prison system is cruel and corrupt!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.loggins7475 View Post
38 long long lonely frightening days...

Thank you everyone who has given advice, encouragement and info. I am still I am the dark on everything to this day. I was allowed to see him that one time 7 days after the stroke and nothing since.

He was in icu 28-30 days and then shipped to Georgia state prison without notifying anyone. We had to find out on our own. Nobody will tell us anything about what has happened, what's been done, how he is or what the plan is.

I haven't been able to talk to him at all or visit. I write him everyday but haven't gotten a letter in return. No phone calls either.

The new prison has been just as unhelpful as the last. I tried to speak to a counselor but they said he isn't housed there perminately so he won't get one. What does that freaking mean??? Why can't they have a heart and tell me how he is doing??? I am afraid he is not getting the care he desperately needs. The first few weeks after a stroke is vital if they want to regain any loses!

I don't know what to do.ive written the parole board and ombudsman twice and no return email from either. How can they keep him from us like this? Now the new place says he might be able to have visitation but if he can't walk to the visitation room then it can't happen. Is that not discrimination due to a handicap? The whole prison system is cruel and corrupt!
Have you reached out to your state senators?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,094 Times in 14,195 Posts

Does this new facility have a chaplain ?
You might try asking if they do, and possibly ask them to visit your loved one.

I really feel for you. This is the WORST thing about prisons, imho.
Family knows nothing and are treated like crap. Inmates do not get the help they need in any reasonable way. And I agree.....ITS NOT FAIR. for anyone.

I really hope you can get some answers and your loved one improves to the point he can talk with you at least.
(ya think they would allow PHONE calls in situations like this if he's able to talk)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Have you reached out to your state senators?
No... Didn't know I could or should. How? How do I know who to contact? Why would they do anything? Thank you so much. Any suggestion that could lead me closer to finding and getting answers and him help are hugely appreciated!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Does this new facility have a chaplain ?
You might try asking if they do, and possibly ask them to visit your loved one.

I really feel for you. This is the WORST thing about prisons, imho.
Family knows nothing and are treated like crap. Inmates do not get the help they need in any reasonable way. And I agree.....ITS NOT FAIR. for anyone.

I really hope you can get some answers and your loved one improves to the point he can talk with you at least.
(ya think they would allow PHONE calls in situations like this if he's able to talk)
They do and I will call in the morning and try that! Thank you so much
Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.loggins7475 View Post
No... Didn't know I could or should. How? How do I know who to contact? Why would they do anything? Thank you so much. Any suggestion that could lead me closer to finding and getting answers and him help are hugely appreciated!
I would look up whoever is part of your state legislature in your area. I'm not from.there, so I don't know names.