Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 AM

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,030 Posts

I just saw a hay stack garden I'm going to try that it's cool as hell and I can line up at least 4 hay bales. I'm going to the nursery today to get their input. I don't know if I can just purchase nitrogen which is what you need to pour on hay bales to get them ready for planting. I'm like super excited about this I was thinking of vert pallet, but this would work so much better, and way cheaper if I can get the materials. Hay bales no problem they are cheap here and all over the place here, its the prep of nitrogen I may not be able to get. It's used to break down the hay it heats it to like 140 and you have to be very careful keeping it wet and do this until it ready to plant No dirt no fertilizer it like planting in compost, but neater and clean!!! Just the prep is kind of scary it can catch fire so I have to be very careful. But I'm so excited about this I need to read more about it. The one thing I have to watch is hay and straw look alot alike so I have to make sure I get hay not straw as straw won't work. But I'm going to ride out to this nursery today and check out what they think. Also get some real tips on stuff so I'm not just wasting my time and money. We actually have two growing seasons so I could do a lot if I got started early enough. But I am hoping this will work as it looked so easy. I have a neighbor who can probably help me out with the hay, nitrogen, as his parents have a real working farm. With animals, and crops. LOL I'm very excited maybe I'll start a whole new career!!! My main thing is growing enough stuff to not have to buy veggies all year. I think I can and what I have left I can sell or donate. I'm going to try to be self sufficient and live off the stuff I can grow. I'm always gonna have to buy certain stuff but it would be very cool to not spend hundreds a month to feed myself. Also its a good way to focus my excess time and energy. Reading old books and new ones has been my passion along with cooking. Now I can actually see some actual result it would go a long way towards getting me out of this awful funk I have been in for months. I also have so many health problems that limit what I can do and this looks like a great idea the initial startup is a bit of work but once it's started all you do is water. I'm actually thinking I might ask a friend who has a shit load of property to try it out with me she's a great gardener, I'm not!!! But I'll get the stuff if she's willing to try it with me. But I can do it here where I live on a very small scale. I'm going to start a rain barrel so I don't have such a high water bill. Anyway look it up its a really cool concept!!!