Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanked 5,133 Times in 2,711 Posts
Default Cooking chit chat

Well I noticed we all seem to start hijacking peoples recipe threads and thought this would help to stop that. I'll start by saying it off by saying hello all cooks and wanna be's!!! LOL Yesterday I made Gumbo for the first time!!! I worked for hours and it was worth it!!! Or so I keep telling myself!!! My back is killing me from standing and chopping for hours. Nexttime I am going with a smaller size!! Anyway now I can eat it and truly appreciate the amount of work it takes. Oh yeah I will never use big okra's again they are like woody and don't break down good. Other then that minor problem all went great.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Dakini (08-29-2017), His_Queen13 (08-27-2017), jadah (09-05-2017), liveweyerd (01-20-2018), Sarah96 (01-13-2018), sidewalker (08-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,772 Posts

How did you do your roux? Last week, after reading & reading, I made mine lighter than I normally do and not only did I like the taste better to took less time.

I have a food processor with just about every size of blade so chopping is easy, but you are right - big okra is stringy and tough.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Butter, all the fresh trinity Onion, Pepper, Celery, cooked them till trans, garlic after garlice was right then added flour some broth from the roasted chicken got it to the color I wanted and went from there. Like I said it was my first attempt. It really turned out great except for the okra I pulled out as much of the giant pieces!! I ended up splitting everything into two huge crock pots because I realized I can't lift my big soup pot when filled. But that worked great as clean up was a snap. I also kept the rice separate I hate mooshy rice.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Owned

Yes, keeping the rice separate is vital and I am a rice snob. Too bad about the okra -that was a lot of work only to have to take out one of the key ingredients, but at least you had some of the thickening from it.

I read the roux should be the color of peanut butter, which is what I did this time, but in the past I did until it was the color of a pecan - I prefer the less browned taste.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,542 Times in 6,956 Posts

You don't HAVE to put okra in gumbo, but it is really nice when you do. Go on the web. You'll find a million different recipes. I just do it the Cajun way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-28-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Owned

"You don't HAVE to put okra in gumbo......"

I think putting okra in gumbo is a legal requirement where I live and I can't risk a 2nd arrest.

But yeah, I did some more Googling and some do make it without okra and they weren't even Yankee recipes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
jadah (09-05-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,022 Times in 10,523 Posts

I adore brown roux! And just plain browned butter. I'll make shortbread with it, and gravy, and sauces, and anything else I can shoehorn it into.

That said, I think my favorite southern recipe is barbecued shrimp in their shells. Not that I don't enjoy gumbo....

I spent 3 years cooking for a transplanted New Orleanian who ran a N.O. kitchen and jazz club up in Connecticut. All the recipes are in storage, but I remember the tastes well!!! (It was really hard to get chorizo back then, so I had to get a local butcher shop to make it for me, after I supplied a recipe :>))

Last edited by nimuay; 08-27-2017 at 08:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Owned

Nim, how brown do you make your roux?

I was just stunned last week when I read to the color of p'nut. Trying to make it too dark can cause a tiny hint of burn though and stopping the browning early did take away some of the worry.

I used shrimp, crab meant and hot sausage; it was super good and even though it took a monumental effort I only made a small amount. By small I mean only enough for maybe 12 large servings and I think it was gone by day 4. I made jasmine rice.

Right now I am reheating the last of a pot roast. Last night I added a big spoon of smoked paprika (thanks to a member here reminding of how often that is used in central European cooking) and a big spoon of sour cream and declared it goulash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Tufahije (08-27-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Nim, how brown do you make your roux?

I was just stunned last week when I read to the color of p'nut. Trying to make it too dark can cause a tiny hint of burn though and stopping the browning early did take away some of the worry.

I am originally from south of New Orleans so a true Cajun..... My grandmother always said, " brown like a dark penny! Never stop stirring or it will burn."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
DanielsWyf (08-29-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Depends on what I'm making as to how dark the roux gets to be.

I don't care much about recipes any more. I have this and that and another thing in the cupboard or the fridge, and they get put together. Odds are, some culture somewhere has done it or something like it, so it has a name and 50 recipes for it.
xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Owned

Yeah, I have burned more than one pan of roux and for some reason I no longer like that dark roux taste, but if you add enough seafood, spices, onion, garlic, bell peppers something good comes out of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 AM

I had some small frozen cut up okra. The ones I fished out were huge home grown my neighbor grew said they weren't good for what he cooks, now I know why!!LOL We have a friendly competition going about growing stuff. My accent is pure New York/ Ft. Lauderdale and I live in rural Alabama. So this guy don't believe I've ever grown anything! Well he's mostly right I know how just don't do well in practice. He still farms on his Daddy's farm!! But I read up on all the weird organic stuff and I know sunshine! We have two tomato plants here mine is slow and still producing his died about 2 months ago!!! He swears I poisoned it!! LOL I didn't have to he killed it I'm sure by using to much crap on it. Anyway he has kept me in peppers all summer. I'm going to try a winter garden in big pots I need fresh herbs, and greens. Not a fan of store bought crap that's older then the invention of plastic bags!! I am also gonna try some strawberry plants. in a five gallon bucket. Anyway I'm to organize Thanksgiving!! Everyone here is looking at me all cross eyed and crazy!!!LOL But I like to plan ahead its a ton of work and I love big holiday dinners. Oh yeah my friends Mom who's house burned down wants me to start catering her family dinners!!! I'm like floored! I am going to have to figure out a way to make this work, I can use the money I just don't have the room to store stuff. Like I need a serious stand up sub zero! Better kitchen equipment then I have for what she's talking about! Anyway I'm sipping my last cup of coffee for the day and smoking my cig!!! Later kids

Last edited by xolady; 08-28-2017 at 05:35 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
jadah (09-05-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,771 Times in 13,640 Posts

I need to plant again too.
The snails got the first of my green beans and I should have used the other container to plant a second batch.
I just reused the first one after the snails at the first set.
They are coming in but I dont have enough to just cook string beans so, I'll have to use them in something else.

Want to plant some of the purple lettuce I did one yr. I cant remember the name of it but it was sooooooo yummy! Kind of a nutty flavor. (and no it was not arugela.....I planted that last yr and got it to return again (accidentally)
I didnt use it as much as I was thinking I would.

Im kinda afraid to cook clams.
I didnt know they are alive when you buy them.
I dont want to look in the pot and seem them silently screaming!!
It would freak me out

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Tufahije (08-28-2017), xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Im kinda afraid to cook clams.
I didnt know they are alive when you buy them.
I dont want to look in the pot and seem them silently screaming!!
It would freak me out
Many years ago, I was visiting people that fished on the Adriatic and they had a good catch of sea things. They cleaned it and cooked it but as we dined, a tiny crab crawled on the table! I do not think the fish was cooked well enough for the itty bitty one to survive. I played with it for awhile before I put it back in the water.

Okay, now a question....

Does anyone have a low yield waffle recipe? It is just my mom and I but we can eat only 1 waffle before full. We tried cutting recipes in half etc but not so good results. Help?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tufahije For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Owned

I cheat; I use Bisquick and leave the egg out.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM

Pop a bad boy in the toaster!!!! Actually I don't have one, but cut recipes down. Side, clams live only to become ashtray's so your doing them a favor!!!!LOL
sidewalker (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Okay I made spaghetti, sausage and pork, garlic bread and baby asparagas!!!! I'm trying to go simple tonight. I can use the left over sauce for a bunch of stuff.
sidewalker (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 PM

Donation Award 

Im hell bent on trying to make french onion soup
Got the cheese, onions (from a coworker and they ARE HUGE....WHICH if why I thought of that soup)
Need the bread.
and the beef broth. NO time to try to make my own stock so gonna have to use canned/boxed.

bbq'ed tonight and damn it came out good.
Ever see the stuff called Veri Teri Yaki?
omg. Its good for marinating chicken. added some pepper flakes and a bit of dried onion.
good stuff.
the rest was leftovers except for the green beans I semi sauted in the small pan.

I even ate two chicken thighs. lol.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:30 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Im hell bent on trying to make french onion soup
Got the cheese, onions (from a coworker and they ARE HUGE....WHICH if why I thought of that soup)
Need the bread.
and the beef broth. NO time to try to make my own stock so gonna have to use canned/boxed.

bbq'ed tonight and damn it came out good.
Ever see the stuff called Veri Teri Yaki?
omg. Its good for marinating chicken. added some pepper flakes and a bit of dried onion.
good stuff.
the rest was leftovers except for the green beans I semi sauted in the small pan.

I even ate two chicken thighs. lol.
Beef (bone) broth in the crockpot is so easy! It will cook while you do other things! I make bone broth all winter with local cleanly raised beef bones. It's good enough to eat all by itself.
sidewalker (08-30-2017), xolady (08-30-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Owned

Let me know how it goes with the soup? I've tried and tried and mine usually seems flat and I have a hard time finding bread that is hearty enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

The bread's only a crouton to hold the cheese up. Plain white baguette works fine, by blending rather than emphasizing.

Safran, what kind of onions are you using? And are you using good sherry?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Owned

I've used various types of onion including Vidalias, Hawaiian and Bemurdas.

I buy Tio Pepe sherry; I once read Eleanore Roosevelt liked it so it became my sherry of choice. Not that I spend too much time drinking sherry, but when I do it is Tios. In fact, I read an Eleanore novel a few weeks ago and meant to buy some in her honor.

I can't remember what the "tip" is right now, but I once read something that was supposed to be the secret to making onion soup fantastic.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 PM

My mother always put some kind of wine in hers. I am a weirdo I hate onion soup!!LOL People who hate soup eat that and I love almost all soups but that one and beer cheese soup. Just too funny because I could live on soup unless its french onion or beer cheese. I'm sure its the cheese in both I hate hot cheese cold I eat hate melted cheese even on pizza.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Owned

I saw one recipe that called for red wine, Pioneer Women calls for white and I am used to it with sherry.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 AM

Donation Award 

I think the one I was going to use calls for sherry too, but my son bought me a small bottle of Pino. lol.
We shall see.

I love soups too. Any kind.
I was planning on using some french bread for the topping.
More cheese the better I say. lol.

Going to have to try this either tonight or tomorrow night.
Its been too damn hot to cook much inside. (upper 90's)

If you like soups you should try that one I post xolady, for chicken noodle (asian style) omg its good.
Im not so much a chicken noodle fan as I am trying new stuff. The rice noodle was a total different thing. Plus the coconut milk (? its been a while)
If the onion soup is any good, I'll post it separate.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-29-2017)