Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Default YOUR PERSONAL STORIES about prison phone calls, for magazine article?

Dear PTO Community,

I'm a freelance journalist in New York City, and am working on a magazine article about prison phone calls. I'll be talking with activists, phone companies, and governments about all the issues involved. But what I really need are a couple compelling personal stories of people affected by the prison phone system -- the high costs, the blocked calls, and so on.

I need stories that show the positive impact of phone calls, and the negative impact of the cost of those calls. For example, did a blocked call prevent a loved one in prison from getting a last chance to speak with a dying parent? Did the high costs of calls prevent a prisoner from speaking with his/her children before an important event in their lives? Did regular calls over the course of a prisoner's sentence help him get back on track once he was released? Or maybe there's a happy instance you can tell me about that demonstrates why phone calls are so important to you? Also, sweet stories about phone rituals are good, too -- such as "for his entire 10 years in prison so far, we've always talked on Thursdays around 8:00pm."

If you or someone you know has a great personal story, please reply to this thread. You can be anywhere in the country.

If you want to remain anonymous, just say so. Or if it's okay to use your first and/or last name, please let me know that, too.

At this point, I'm just developing the short "pitch" or proposal for the magazine article. I'll shop it around to a few national magazines. When and if one of those magazines says they want me to write the full article, I'll do more research.

At this point, I just need a short version of your story -- a few sentences or a paragraph is great. Thanks for any stories you would like to share.

Best regards,
Paul Lemon
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Hmm.. interesting story. I'd love to see the end result.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Duper Admin

PTO Diamond Award Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,110 Posts

Media / Journalists & Students / Researchers:
When a journalist or member of the media posts on the site - or students/researchers post on the site for research purposes - they are expected to explain the purpose of the request to the members and to encourage members to post their stories in the thread. Considering the fact that this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature. Requests with the intent of provoking derogatory comments about prisoners or corrections officers will not be tolerated. Inviting outside contact of PTO members is also not allowed. Persons in the media and students/researchers are also not allowed to send unsolicited emails and/or private messages to members of PTO. Posting a personal email address within the thread is also not allowed. It is not the responsibility of the PTO Administration or Staff to authenticate or verify any statement or facts purported by members of PTO. At the discretion of PTO Administration, any media-related post/request or research-related post/request may be removed from the site. This may be done without warning or prior notification. PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any students/researchers or involved educational/research institution. However, any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members. Failure to follow these rules and policies will result in the request being immediately removed from the site and permanent banning of the media member(s) or students/researchers involved.

PTO Administrator

You know you are a successful woman when you build a good foundation with the bricks other people have thrown at you!

Please dont breed or buy while millions of unwanted pets die. Adopt a pet instead.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR81 View Post
Hmm.. interesting story. I'd love to see the end result.

Thanks for the interest, LR81. I'll post on Prison Talk when whatever I write on the topic gets published.

If you have any stories about prison phone calls you'd care to share, I'd love to hear 'em.

In any case, thanks for the interest!

Peace,
Paul