Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 02-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Haven't heard from my son...panic mode

I know it doesn't sound like a lot of time has passed but it has been ten days since speaking with my son. I have emailed him four times since then asking for a response and getting nothing. usually he checks his e-mail everyday and we correspond about every other day. We were not quarreling and so it's not that he's not responding because of anger. In fact, he seemed in fairly good spirits when last we spoke but that could have been just to ease me.

This isn't like him to suddenly cut off all communication. I realize it could be a number of things :he could be sick and in the infirmary or the computers could have gone down or he could be in the hole or he could have run out of money on his account (even though I sent money in the beginning of the month) or he could simply be too depressed to respond. But I'm reaching panic mode and not sure what my next move is except to contact his lawyer.

I'm sure others have experienced the same situation and I'm appealing to their experience. Maybe there are other channels I could access an order to determine his status. I'm reaching panic mode and trying to be proactive. Thank you in advance for any advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam'sMom For This Useful Post:
dbd335 (02-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Can you call the prison to find out if they are on lockdown? Computers could definitely be down. I am pretty sure you would have been notified if anything had happened. Contacting his lawyer is still a good idea, just in case. I hope you will hear from him soon and I believe it is one of the reasons you mentioned.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:38 AM

No one ever picks up for the main phone number (and only public one given) for the complex. How would I be able to find out if it is in lockdown?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,291 Times in 12,319 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. If he is still in the bop's Philadelphia Metropolitan detention center, there is an email address for the prison's executive assistant on their web page. Ask them to do a "welfare check" of your Son.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/phl/

If he has already moved on from that mostly temporary prison, find the web page for where he is on the bop "locations" page, and email the executive assistant there.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/search.jsp

If he is in transit to a different prison, they often are out of contact until they arrive, and are settled at the new prison. You can follow his movements on the inmate locator.
https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/
Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Believer

Thanked 1,208 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam'sMom View Post
I know it doesn't sound like a lot of time has passed but it has been ten days since speaking with my son. I have emailed him four times since then asking for a response and getting nothing. usually he checks his e-mail everyday and we correspond about every other day. We were not quarreling and so it's not that he's not responding because of anger. In fact, he seemed in fairly good spirits when last we spoke but that could have been just to ease me.

This isn't like him to suddenly cut off all communication. I realize it could be a number of things :he could be sick and in the infirmary or the computers could have gone down or he could be in the hole or he could have run out of money on his account (even though I sent money in the beginning of the month) or he could simply be too depressed to respond. But I'm reaching panic mode and not sure what my next move is except to contact his lawyer.

I'm sure others have experienced the same situation and I'm appealing to their experience. Maybe there are other channels I could access an order to determine his status. I'm reaching panic mode and trying to be proactive. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Calling the warden might be a possibility?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,876 Posts

"Calling the warden might be a possibility?"

IF IF IF the phone is answered all they will tell her is if or if not he is there and she can find that out on the BoP inmate locator.
Itshardtowait (03-03-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 PM

As far as I know he's at the same location. I'm requesting a welfare check. Thank you fbopnomore.
How would I be able to find out if it is in lockdown?
fbopnomore (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:29 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,167 Times in 15,715 Posts

If visitation is cancelled on BOP website for that facility, the facility is usually on lockdown.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-18-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM

They do not perform welfare checks at this location and they don't publicize visitation cancelations.frustrating! All they're willing to say is that he's 'ok'. Nothing more.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Sometimes the prison Chaplain, or his counselor will be friendlier about your concerns. Many times, the person who answers the phones is the last person who should ever have that job.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 652 Posts

I don't know where your son is being held but have you thought of reaching out to an advocacy group in that area? They usually know how to get info. Many DOC places have Facebook pages where they post updates if there's a visitation cancellation. Who provides the email system for him? If it's Jpay then you could always check with them to see if there's an issue. Have you tried going old school & writing him a letter to let him know you're concerned? Hoping you hear good news & all is well. It's sad that we always panic & think the worst but that's life for us while they are incarcerated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (02-21-2019), Sarianna (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM

They have corrlinks. I have written both letters & emails to him in the interim. My only avenue of response is through the generic email account on the website. They run a very tight ship and my request to provide chaplain contact information is going unresponded. To make matters more complicated I live 10 hrs away. Neither my son nor I have ever resided in the state/city where he is currently located. FB page says nothing. Advocacy group is a good idea. That's my next effort.
Worst case scenarios fill the void of knowing.
fbopnomore (02-21-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,614 Times in 14,849 Posts

** they don't publicize visitation cancelations***

What a crock.
Well I hope you hear from him soon.
there is really no reason for this. (not letting folks know they are on lockdown so they dont waste alot of time, and expense to travel to visit)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

In AZ they have lockdowns but still keep visitation open. We don't know there is a lockdown unless our LO tell us. Visitation isn't cancelled unless there is a major riot or escape on the medium and minimum custody yards.

Lockdowns will prevent them from being able to call if the phones are located outside the dorm. My son has been in both types - phones in the dorm/phones outside the building. We don't have email.

Our inmate data search tells us their location, including the hole. I have called a couple of times over the past 6 years and gotten the he is ok. If something did happen to him medically they would not notify me as he is an adult. Once he is in his "home" prison, if he finds someone he can trust that he can give personal info too, it is best to have someone who can contact you if something happens. I have always had my son have someone and to give me the info so I know it's the real deal. Luckily, the worst to happen was him being put in the hole on a malicious/untrue complaint and an inmate told his mother who then contacted me.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Son was in the shoe. Not sure if that's the same as the hole, but he couldn't communicate. Now, my greatest fear is that this will prolong his sentence. It was a simple altercation between he and another inmate. My son didn't react violently but he put his hand on the inmates shoulder ...and that landed him in the shoe.
I called a prison advocacy group and they provided the extension for the on-site chaplain for whom I left a message. However, they never got back to me.
Lizlizzie2, you suggested he give personal info to someone he can trust. That's exactly what my son has done. Thank you all for your suggestions and words of support. This group is priceless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liam'sMom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-28-2019), sidewalker (03-03-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes the Secure housing unit (SHU) is the bop's terminology for what the prisoners consider to be the Hole. The only way his sentence could be extended is if a disciplinary hearing officer penalized him with the loss of some earned good time (usually less than one month) after a formal hearing. Even if that does happen, he can have the good time reinstated after a period of "clear conduct".

The problem (one of the many "unfairness" issues with the bop) is an inmate who is minding their own business and gets attacked without warning, for any or no reason, is also guilty of a fighting charge. One fairly common reason for a drive-by attack is because the thug wants to "check in" to the SHU without appearing to do so, like when they can't pay a drug or gambling debt. Prison is a different world.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:14 AM

I'm going through the same thing. My last email from my son was 2/12. He was in good spirits. I haven't heard back from him yet. I'm extremely sad. No letter, no email, nothing. Then I call and am told and his counselor is in training. I've called for 16 days same thing. I'm 18hrs away and I may just have to do a emergency visit to check on him! Sorry for what you're going through.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:15 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam'sMom View Post
Son was in the shoe. Not sure if that's the same as the hole, but he couldn't communicate. Now, my greatest fear is that this will prolong his sentence. It was a simple altercation between he and another inmate. My son didn't react violently but he put his hand on the inmates shoulder ...and that landed him in the shoe.
I called a prison advocacy group and they provided the extension for the on-site chaplain for whom I left a message. However, they never got back to me.
Lizlizzie2, you suggested he give personal info to someone he can trust. That's exactly what my son has done. Thank you all for your suggestions and words of support. This group is priceless.
Have you tried contacting them via email? Through their website they have a link to send them an email. https://www.bop.gov/inmates/concerns.jsp

I don't have experience with BOP, just our State. Not getting an answer or a call back is SOP in AZ, so we keep calling - asking for the chaplain, the CO3, the visitation officer (asking if we can visit can result in info).

I didn't see any BOP FB support groups. Prior to 2015, it never occurred to me to look on FB. But 2 riots and a "disturbance" and someone created a FB group for that AZ prison. The State did not put out any information at the time and sharing what little we gleaned from each other helped keep us all sane (wives, mothers, girlfriends). As inmates got moved (in AZ they get moved a lot, but in this instance a whole prison yard was destroyed), other groups were created. It spread exponentially. So we do try and keep each other updated. It also provides someone there to help share the ropes when a LO arrives at another prison. There is no rule against doing this in AZ, but always make sure of that. I have no idea what rules BOP might have or other states.

I do try to share any news of import in the AZ group in prisontalk, such as the lockdown due to drug ODs or new rules visitation has instituted. But there is not much movement on the prisontalk forums for AZ.

I don't know how long Liam is serving, but look for connections where you can and share information. It helps.But, always be careful with anything you post, especially on FB, as prison personnel often watch those posts. I don't know if prisontalk screens for those things.

Also, make sure he tells you who his "contact" is. We have seen instances where people call and lie - to scare us, to get money - I don't know why; I assume it's politics, race, debts, etc. in AZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Sometimes the prison Chaplain, or his counselor will be friendlier about your concerns. Many times, the person who answers the phones is the last person who should ever have that job.
So true they are sometimes so rude and uncaring....
The Following User Says Thank You to ShelishaB For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:46 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Also be sure to check the "visiting rules" for his prison before you travel there. Visits for secure housing prisoners are sometimes different than regular visitation, they are often much shorter, and in some prisons, on different days.